AVS Forum banner
1M views 16K replies 720 participants last post by  Canuck_TO 
#1 ·

Just bought the ES8000 from best buy. I called my local best buy to see if they had any, she said they have one each at 2 stores locally. I thought, oh ok they are probably show units but ill try anyway. I walked in at the perfect time. They got one in and just opened the box when I asked the guy if I could have it. All he did was cut the tape on the top of the box, the stand wasnt even removed yet (its on the top). He ended up selling it to me. Got some pics if anyone is interested.

Anyway. Im now selling my UN46B8500. Works graet, I have all original packaging and boxes. Im not sure what to sell it for yet. Even though the set is a couple years old, it has maybe a year (or less) worth of use because Ive been out of the country several times since i bought it.

#261 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroFan /forum/post/21799226

1. Upload photos to imageshack o similar (register), then in imageshack get code or url for share in the forums.

2. In AVSforum push "Insert image" and put url you get in imageshack

Could you make a complete review with poll i put in past post or similar.

Thanks in advance.

i wish i could make a review ,review but i dont own the tv at the moment i was just looking around and i seen they had the ES8000 in so i took some pictures i also got the ES7500 pictures if u or anyone else would like to see them .

#262 ·
Use the rotate arrows on the top of the message box.

God bless

#263 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind /forum/post/21797421

Not sure that's Sony's reason for not updating the 929. The Elite is suppose to have more dimming zones then anyone else. Engineers can figure out how to make more zones (hard ware or soft ware) as time goes on, if they choose to keep that format.

Yes - but more H/W zones cost more money whereas more S/W zones cost nothing other than processing power. H/W zones only adjust light output but S/W zones can adjust anything in the video signal. Samsung can give loyal customers picture improvements with S/W zone updates via its evolution kit.

Full array manufacturers must now be aware why Samsung dropped this technology!

#264 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 /forum/post/21797758

LCD TV black level is limited to how much the LCD crystals can block light from the backlight. Lcds need light to work and can not totally block all the light on its own, even with all the LCD crystals blacked out light always bleeds through. Without actually dimming the backlight the TV can't achieve true blackness, the es8000 may as well be a ccfl TV for black levels. Software is only going to go so far, and truthfully LCD technology is about as good as its going to get today.

Picture quality is not just about black levels and this is where Samsung are focussing their attentio. As you say the LCD technology is reaching its limits aside from resolution and improvements are limited especially if R&D is concentrating on OLED and Quantum Dot.

#265 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerft /forum/post/21799911

Picture quality is not just about black levels and this is where Samsung are focussing their attentio. As you say the LCD technology is reaching its limits aside from resolution and improvements are limited especially if R&D is concentrating on OLED and Quantum Dot.

True for black levels not being the only factor for pq. samsungs micro dimming is really a advanced dynamic contrast software, it may be improved but its still a dynamic contrast software. 90% of professional calibrators will turn dynamic contrast off when calibrating a TV. Why would they do this, because dynamic contrast crushes blacks and shadow details. I'm sure micro dimming is much better then the standard dynamic contrast in other TVs. I'm a little disappointed they got rid of hardware dimming, I really don't believe this TV will have the black levels achieved by the d8000 although it may beat the TV in other pq areas. The es8000 seems like two steps forward and a half step back to me.

I also want to add oled is so amazing because of its infinity black levels and contrast. Its just a fact TVs that produce deeper black levels tend to rate higher in reviews and users eyes. I don't have a es8000 but I do have a c8000 and d8000 from Samsung, I was looking forward to the es8000 but not so much anymore.

#266 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerft /forum/post/21796727

The trouble with H/W dimming that is edge lit is that it works against the S/W dimming where you have bright and dark areas across the screen.

The trouble is, you can only dim horizontal rectangles that are half the width of the screen. This rarely corresponds to useful dimming zones based on picture content.

Quote:
H/W dimming was a marketing exercise to compete with full array sets.

So perfectly and brilliantly put.

#267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguychad /forum/post/21798017

Sorry for the confusion, returned via amazon and upgraded to the es8000 I should have it Friday. The hardware micro dimming vs software dimming didn't sway my decision. The new promise of faster speeds via browsing and the price drop to 2899 for the 55 inch did it.

I would probably have chosen one of the latest revision panel D8000's w/hardware dimming over the new ES8000 but I hate to say I'm also a sucker for a faster processor speed and better features. I just the hate the new non-swivel stand. So this tv doesn't move at all on the stand or what?

Anxiously awaiting the first decent customer video review of this set on Amazon...

#268 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 /forum/post/21800025

True for black levels not being the only factor for pq. samsungs micro dimming is really a advanced dynamic contrast software, it may be improved but its still a dynamic contrast software. 90% of professional calibrators will turn dynamic contrast off when calibrating a TV. Why would they do this, because dynamic contrast crushes blacks and shadow details. I'm sure micro dimming is much better then the standard dynamic contrast in other TVs. I'm a little disappointed they got rid of hardware dimming, I really don't believe this TV will have the black levels achieved by the d8000 although it may beat the TV in other pq areas. The es8000 seems like two steps forward and a half step back to me.

I also want to add oled is so amazing because of its infinity black levels and contrast. Its just a fact TVs that produce deeper black levels tend to rate higher in reviews and users eyes. I don't have a es8000 but I do have a c8000 and d8000 from Samsung, I was looking forward to the es8000 but not so much anymore.

The e series has a better black level than the d8000. I have read that the d8000 was measured at 0.009 fl and the es series was 0.006 fl so that is 30% better, and that was uncalibrated so would actually expect a little better when calibrated.

god bless

#269 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 /forum/post/21800677

The e series has a better black level than the d8000. I have read that the d8000 was measured at 0.009 fl and the es series was 0.006 fl so that is 30% better, and that was uncalibrated so would actually expect a little better when calibrated.

god bless

Until I see a few reviews of trusted reviewers I won't put to much in that statement. The d8000 could turn off the leds for total back at on point and have picture on anther. Your saying the es8000 can achieve deeper black levels without turning any leds off? I'm sure someone here sees my point of view. I don't mean to be down on the es8000, I was looking into getting one it just seems Samsung is focus more on design and features then pq this year.

#270 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2 /forum/post/21797627

Thanks bekindrewind. Nice write-up. When you saw the drop off moving laterally a couple of feet how far back were you standing/sitting? That's really disappointing if the off-angle viewing is worse than the Elite (which I thought was only marginally acceptable)

Hi Jeffs2,

I was standing/squatting about 10' from the set. Squattting so that I was looking dead on into the center of the screen. Straight on the picture was great. I moved 24" left or right and the blacks and color dropped off so much, my chin dropped.

I spent 2 hrs with this tv and some of the salesmen were chatting it up with me as I kept tweaking the set. They also commented how much the picture faded when they moved right or left of dead center.

Maybe just maybe this problem is with this set only. Though I find that hard to swallow. The Elite and the Sony had much better viewing angles.

I want all the people that read my review and this post, to know that I really wanted to like this tv.

That being said, for me it's all about picture quality. I wasn't looking to buy this tv because of the voice commands, hand jestures, being able to multitask other things while watching something. I guess that's the future, but I think there's going to be a lot of frustration with the voice and hand jestures in the ES8000 line, till they figure out down the road how to get it to work seamlessly. The video's show people had to repeat voice and hand jestures a lot. (Keep your eye out for the Apple TV. They will get it right, right out of the box)

I just want to sit down, put in a blu-ray or tv show/movie and watch it. Simple really.

I'm just looking for the best 2D picture I can get. Currently it's between the Sony 929 or 2012 Elite version 2 ...if that come to market.

#271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 /forum/post/21800781

Until I see a few reviews of trusted reviewers I won't put to much in that statement. The d8000 could turn off the leds for total back at on point and have picture on anther. Your saying the es8000 can achieve deeper black levels without turning any leds off? I'm sure someone here sees my point of view. I don't mean to be down on the es8000, I was looking into getting one it just seems Samsung is focus more on design and features then pq this year.

Here is a great pre review of the es and e 8000's. Looks pretty fine to me, give it a read and see what you think. scroll to the bottom for the calibration readings, and a little on the plasma 8000

http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...12-tv-briefing

god bless

#272 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 /forum/post/21800025

True for black levels not being the only factor for pq. samsungs micro dimming is really a advanced dynamic contrast software, it may be improved but its still a dynamic contrast software. 90% of professional calibrators will turn dynamic contrast off when calibrating a TV. Why would they do this, because dynamic contrast crushes blacks and shadow details. I'm sure micro dimming is much better then the standard dynamic contrast in other TVs.

The reason Dynamic contrast is turned off is because it is applied to the whole screen at once based on a crude algorithm driven by a tiny processor - this indeed causes black crush in already dark areas. However what Samsung are doing is hugely different it is far more precise and effects more than just contrast. The elegance of this is that it can be scaled up as processor power increases and applied retrospectively. Also the marketing guys have increasing numbers to wave at other manufacturers - brilliant in so many ways!

#273 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind /forum/post/21800884

Hi Jeffs2,

I was standing/squatting about 10' from the set. Squattting so that I was looking dead on into the center of the screen. Straight on the picture was great. I moved 24" left or right and the blacks and color dropped off so much, my chin dropped.

I spent 2 hrs with this tv and some of the salesmen were chatting it up with me as I kept tweaking the set. They also commented how much the picture faded when they moved right or left of dead center.

Maybe just maybe this problem is with this set only. Though I find that hard to swallow. The Elite and the Sony had much better viewing angles.

I want all the people that read my review and this post, to know that I really wanted to like this tv.

That being said, for me it's all about picture quality. I wasn't looking to buy this tv because of the voice commands, hand jestures, being able to multitask other things while watching something. I guess that's the future, but I think there's going to be a lot of frustration with the voice and hand jestures in the ES8000 line, till they figure out down the road how to get it to work seamlessly. The video's show people had to repeat voice and hand jestures a lot. (Keep your eye out for the Apple TV. They will get it right, right out of the box)

I just want to sit down, put in a blu-ray or tv show/movie and watch it. Simple really.

I'm just looking for the best 2D picture I can get. Currently it's between the Sony 929 or 2012 Elite version 2 ...if that come to market.

I was coming here to post that exact thing. I finally got to see the es8000 at bestbuy late last night, and I was able to get it to movie mode, but not change other settings. The guys had actually just gotten it out on display.

Most tvs I considered in the past like the c8000 and d8000, I looked at the off axis views in the store and thought they held up pretty well, at least for my living room. But the es8000 was really bad. Just as others had posted, you just sidestep a bit and it starts to change. Sidestep about 5 feet (moving to the other end of the couch at home like) and everything is really faded. Not cool.

The only thing I disagree with is your apple comment. I have a bunch of apple products, but please be realistic. They don't always produce winners, and siri isn't really all that great at recognizing speech. I have to repeat stuff all the time on my Iphone4s. Add to that they will be using other companies panels for this still not announced TV doesn't help people's dream that it will be the end all be all TV of the year.

From the hdguru's early look at the new high end panasonic LCD, I think that would be the one to look for.

#274 ·
Hey guy's. I think the new ES8000 series is great. I saw it in best buy and I had somewhat the same trouble with off angle viewing. I can say that this is not a problem on the E8000 series. Oh, and if my grammer or spelling offends you, I am sorry but my meds can have that effect on me. (I have cancer) I would have thought that being a nice guy and geting as much info to you guys as possible is/was what is imporatant, not my grammer or spelling. I know many people have trouble with grammer / spelling (some because english is thier second language ) and don't find it helpful to critisize them. If reading these posts are diffucult for you being your life may be so hectic, then don't read them or wait till you have time to decipher them.( I mean really, is it that bad. Even some of the worst posts here are easy to see what the person is getting at). I am not mad, just realize you are commenting on somthing that may not even be the person whom is posting's fault. Anyway. I have it on good authority that the Samsung e series will have this special pricing until next month then it is back to the higher prices. Enjoy !!

god bless

#275 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooben /forum/post/21801642

...Most tvs I considered in the past like the c8000 and d8000, I looked at the off axis views in the store and thought they held up pretty well, at least for my living room. But the es8000 was really bad. Just as others had posted, you just sidestep a bit and it starts to change. Sidestep about 5 feet (moving to the other end of the couch at home like) and everything is really faded. Not cool...

I'm curious as to what would have changed between the D8000 and ES8000 in this regard. The thickness of the glass screen perhaps? I know they're sort of using that front as a dielectric waveguide to reject room light. But most of the changes we read about all seem to be in relation to the way the edge lighting and 'behind the LCD pixels' stuff is handled.

(I do have a US55ES8000 on order from Amazon - hasn't shipped yet although I ordered last week. Grrrr.....)

#276 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooben /forum/post/21801642

Most tvs I considered in the past like the c8000 and d8000, I looked at the off axis views in the store and thought they held up pretty well, at least for my living room. But the es8000 was really bad. Just as others had posted, you just sidestep a bit and it starts to change. Sidestep about 5 feet (moving to the other end of the couch at home like) and everything is really faded.

Moving to the end of a 3 seater couch can be up to 35degrees off axis and given that most LCD screens start to loose contrast/colour after 10degrees it is not surprising that the picture faded. Plasma are significantly better in this respect.

Be interesting to see the real difference between the d8000 and ES8000 in a side by side test.

#279 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny /forum/post/21804838

i own a 46 inch d7000, in that thread the d8000 is praised for being the perfect tv. you go read the d8000 thread, the es8000 is praised to be the perfect tv, and in this thread, same problems as the aforementioned tv's.

the perfect tv is one that has a place to put your warm beer, a device/or button on remote to mute the ol' lady & gives you the winning lottery #'s...........

ps, has a perfect .000000001 mll & 25,000:1 ansi constrast rating, thin form factor, ultra-thin bezel, matte screen, 80+ inches & reasonably priced, as to not break the bank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.