AVS Forum banner
447K views 4K replies 476 participants last post by  tongshadow 
#1 ·
This is the owners thread for the Samsung PNXXE7000/8000.

I have a Samsung pn60e8000, which was a replacement for my Samsung PN59D8000. I think over all the E seies has better PQ than the D series. Darker blacks, color is on par with last years excellent performance, and the new dual core chip really speeds up the use of apps and browser. Also the new internet browser is much faster and easier to use, and it is a full web browser , most web browsers on tv's are not full web browser's. The new features like face recognition is great and works very well, it does a great job. If you have an account and you are using the tv, it takes you right to your account. If you have an account and are in the room with several other people it shows all the people and displays those with accounts and without, giving you the option to sign into your account or allowing a person to make their own account. The voice control works very well, even in a room with people talking, the remote itself also has a mic to help in this situation.The voice control can be a bit finicky as you need to know the commands and must speak clearly. Also, there is a 1.5 second delay from when you speak until it reacts, but as for the web browser part I can tell you it is still much faster than typing. The motion control works but can be a bit sluggish, you need to learn the appropriate motions then it will work well, also lighting conditions can interfere with it, you need to atleast have a lamp on. I have not noticed any under or over scan issues. I have also not noticed any white "pops" - I did view a hockey game and there were some small greyish area's whithin the white at times. I am talking about when the screen is almost totally white, if you look very close you can notice this but it is very subtle.The screen was brilliant white and trying to look at these was very painful to my eye's. I watched avatar, alice in wonderland,tangled and Imax under the sea , all in 3d and there was no xtalk or ghosting . I did however notice the slightest xtalk when using the 2d-3d feature but it was very minamal. I tested gaming and it was great - even in very fast motion scenes. Also did mw3 in 3d and again great performance. There was no lag issue with out using the game mode setting. if you guys have any questions please feel free to ask.

god bless

See less See more
#27 ·
Just went to an Orlando Best Buy to look at the E8000. I can't tell much difference from the D8000 honestly. I was disappointed to find all E8000s had white balance all over the map. It would be nice if BB calibrated these. Black levels looked the same, but again these are definitely not calibrated.

In the side by side image the E is on the left.

#28 ·
FYI. If you are looking for a stand for the 64E8000, BB has a great customer reviewed stand that is on close out on their website. It's 68" wide and though it's not mentioned in the specs, the area for the center channel is 8" H and 24" W which is great for me as my HSU center channel will just fit. Another thing is the stand is already assembled and again is on clearance for two fitty. A couple of years ago folks were paying 640.00 for it. I was in Abt this past Sunday and was about to spend 840.00 on a clearance stand but fortunately when I got home I measured and my center channel speaker wouldn't fit. Great deal on the BB stand.

Whalen BB68DBCON
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Whalen+F...1366&st=whalen tv stand&cp=1&lp=11

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1923 /forum/post/21801977

Xander my pnd8000 does not buzz. Thank god. But the thing I'm trying to figure out with my e8000 is after we watch tv for a little bit and them lets say time for bed lol when we turn it off it sounds like the bezel or plastic makes crackling noises. It goes on for about 20 min and then stops. It's like cracking noises in different areas. My buddy told me that alot of plasmas heat up and then as they cool down the back of the tv or bezel expands and that's whats happening any input anyone?

That's exactly what it is, it's happened to both my Plasmas. Expansion and contraction due to heating and cooling.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 /forum/post/21802919

Just went to an Orlando Best Buy to look at the E8000. I can't tell much difference from the D8000 honestly. I was disappointed to find all E8000s had white balance all over the map. It would be nice if BB calibrated these. Black levels looked the same, but again these are definitely not calibrated.

In the side by side image the E is on the left.

I should also mention that I got to play with both the camera and the touch pad remote. Both were disappointing and are relatively worthless. The touchpad especially was frustrating. Very much like the low-end, plasticky, low-level of quality track pads that you find on low-end Dell laptops.

The E7000 might be the better buy for this year. I can't see myself using either of those E8000 features.

#31 ·
So far from what ive read in these posts,the new models arent that much of a hype over last years models.I was going to upgrade my PN64D8000 to the E8000 at no charge by Samsung(long story) IF,thats a big IF there was a substantial difference in PQ,but doesnt seem to be the case.But then again,it may be too early to jump to that conclusion,or isnt it?

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroptop /forum/post/21805132

So far from what ive read in these posts,the new models arent that much of a hype over last years models.I was going to upgrade my PN64D8000 to the E8000 IF,thats a big IF there was a substantial difference in PQ,but doesnt seem to be the case.But then again,it may be too early to jump to that conclusion,or isnt it?

There isn't one. I stood in front of both today, and I didn't see any huge benefit. The measured black level in the E8000 is supposed to be better, but I strained to see a difference. That said, neither of these sets were calibrated. But given that the color accuracy was spot-on last year, I tried hard to see a difference in brightness. Both had the cell light set to 20. I couldn't see any difference whatsoever.

Also, in my opinion, the new gadgets seem half baked. Like I stated earlier, the new touch remote is worthless. The camera is also not great. Didn't get the chance to use the voice controls, but from what I read they're sluggish and inaccurate. I think it'll be a year or two for these new features to mature, if they aren't removed altogether.

Keep the D8000. There seems to be zero reason to upgrade this year. Save up for your first OLED

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 /forum/post/21795965

PNxxE8000/7000 owners: do either of these models have the Samsung expansion/upgrade slot that appears in the UNxxES8000 television?

Yes, the E8000 has the upgrand or expansion slot, as well as the E7000 . Not sure about the E6500.

god bless

#34 ·
Guy's, not sure about your store experience but I have the PN60E8000, and the camera works fantastic. Also, the voice control works flawlessly. The motion control takes a bit to get used to but it is also working fine. I can tell you that I did a side by side here at home with the D8000 and BIG DIFFERENCE in pq. The PN60E8000 is super clear and very crisp. The D8000 was great but this is alot better especially for clarity. The 3d is also exceptional with NO DISTORTION OR GHOSTING at all. I put in Avatar 3d , Alice in wonderland, Tangled 3d, and Imax under the sea and they were all incredible. The camera works great for skype as I have tried it. Also the remote works fine for me, no problems at all with the touch pad. I hear no buzzing from my set , even when it is very quiet. I have not noticed any judder, now having said that I probably will as I am very sensitive to it. lol. I can not really explain how great the 3d is , brightness is improved , but the pure realism of it is great, no xtalk, no ghosting, just realism that you really need to see. Maybe it was the store set up or something else but I can tell you as an owner these features work fine. I am getting another 64 inch tv for our living room and the only tv I think would even be a consideration for me other then the PN64E8000 would be the Panasonic 65VT50. Every one knows in store results of tv viewing or feature trials is poor due to many reasons. I whole heartedly recommend this tv , with no reservations. ENJOY. D-nice will be doing my calibrations after I get my 64/65 incher and have run the slides for 150 hours.

god bless

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 /forum/post/21805228

Guy's, not sure about your store experience but I have the PN60E8000, and the camera works fantastic. Also, the voice control works flawlessly. The motion control takes a bit to get used to but it is also working fine. I can tell you that I did a side by side here at home with the D8000 and BIG DIFFERENCE in pq. The PN60E8000 is super clear and very crisp. The D8000 was great but this is alot better especially for clarity. The 3d is also exceptional with NO DISTORTION OR GHOSTING at all. I put in Avatar 3d , Alice in wonderland, Tangled 3d, and Imax under the sea and they were all incredible. The camera works great for skype as I have tried it. Also the remote works fine for me, no problems at all with the touch pad. I hear no buzzing from my set , even when it is very quiet. I have not noticed any judder, now having said that I probably will as I am very sensitive to it. lol. I can not really explain how great the 3d is , brightness is improved , but the pure realism of it is great, no xtalk, no ghosting, just realism that you really need to see. Maybe it was the store set up or something else but I can tell you as an owner these features work fine. I am getting another 64 inch tv for our living room and the only tv I think would even be a consideration for me other then the PN64E8000 would be the Panasonic 65VT50. Every one knows in store results of tv viewing or feature trials is poor due to many reasons. I whole heartedly recommend this tv , with no reservations. ENJOY. D-nice will be doing my calibrations after I get my 64/65 incher and have run the slides for 150 hours.

god bless

Now THATS what I wanted to hear,a side by side comparison at home,glad you commented,Ill wait for a few more comments on others who purchased the new models.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroptop /forum/post/21805132

So far from what ive read in these posts,the new models arent that much of a hype over last years models.I was going to upgrade my PN64D8000 to the E8000 at no charge by Samsung(long story) IF,thats a big IF there was a substantial difference in PQ,but doesnt seem to be the case.But then again,it may be too early to jump to that conclusion,or isnt it?

If you can upgrade I strongly suggest it. Not only is it better pq, the expansion pack will (should) be priceless come next year. It will be able to upgrade not only software but hardware as well. The web browser on this tv is as fast as my Dell 15R laptop. I don't know exactly why people are having trouble in the stores with the new features but they work fine here at home, maybe some settings, or not knowing how to PROPERLY use them. The motion control is alittle weird as you need to make the correct motions , and lighting can not be super bright (like in a store) or too dim. I really don't care much for the motion control but the voice control is great, no more looking for the darn remote !!!! ENJOY.

god bless

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd /forum/post/21805989

The title for this thread no longer refers to the "E" designation....seems to have changed with the addition of the 6500.

SORRY, I needed Mr. Lang to fix the title. This is for the 7000 and 8000 E series

#41 ·
I got a few questions for the owners:

1. BUZZING. Do you have it? Can you hear it?

2. Dithering. How is the dithering, especially in accelerated pixel refresh (3D and CinemaSmooth) modes? There was a lot of dithering in 2011 in the accelerated pixel refresh modes. This is super easy to see, just watch any 3D Blu-ray with 3D turned off, and then turn 3D on. You should easily see a sudden appearance of a moving grain effect over the image, this is the dithering in action.

3. Black level when CinemaSmooth is engaged. Is that fixed this year? In 2011, when you used CinemaSmooth, black levels increased a lot because of the need to refresh the phosphors faster. This is easy to see too, just playback any Blu-ray movie which has the 2.35:1 aspect ratio and therefore black bars. Turn CinemaSmooth off, and play it, then leave it running and turn CinemaSmooth on. Do the black bars get lighter when you do this?

4. Input lag. The 2011 models had great input lag, around ~33 ms (2 frames). Is this unchanged in 2012? (It really should be.) Check the input lag wars sticky thread over on the LCD side if you don't know how to measure input lag on a TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namssorg /forum/post/21806074

I keep thinking about that 'upgrade' slot -- What if it's not meant for upgrading the hardware on the consumer end, but maybe instead for repairing non-panel related issues by sending you new 'guts' ?

Nobody knows what the "Smart Evolution" expansion slot is for yet. I actually wonder if Samsung even knows what it's for yet. It might end up useful like the Nintendo 64 expansion slot, or it might end up useless like the GameCube expansion slot. There's a reason why most companies don't put expansion slots on consumer electronics, the odds of them ever being useful are bad and it costs money to put these slots in the devices.

#42 ·
OK, the expansion slot is for software and hardware upgrades. Say if next year samsung goes with a quad core chip, well the expansion upgrade will include this to upgrade your tv. I think the expansion slot was an incredible idea and its true value will be seen when the 2013 come out and a simple upgrade will be almost as good as getting a new set at a fraction of the cost. As far as why no one else did this - well look at voice control panasonic did not include this but there was an article that they were considering an add on later in this year for their tv's to have this ability, maybe they just didn't think of it or did not see the market for it either way I would be willing to bet in 2013 more manufacturers will be doing this. As for dithering, there is just the slightest and you need to be very close to the tv and looking for it to even notice it. There is no problems with cinema smooth this year as the black bars stay black when turning cinema smooth on and off. As for lag, I have noticed none just playing, now when checking the lag is about 30ms-,anything under 60ms is good , under 40ms is awesome. I can tell you that watching a hockey game- there are no white "pops" however I did notice what I am calling "LITTLE GREY FUZZIES" now- you need to be about 1-2 feet from the panel and be looking for them but I have seen them, they are about 2-3 pixels and light grey, I have only noticed a few of them, they are not noticeable at all from 3-4 feet away. I can tell you that the shadow detail is much much better than on the d8000, and that the black does not crush the detail on the E8000. The images on the E8000 are very crisp and clear, flesh tone are realistic. The web browser is greatly improved from last year. 3D is phenominal - no ghosting or xtalk at all, and the 2D to 3D is great , however there is the slightest ghosting when there is alot of small fast moving objects, but again you would really need to be looking for this. Cinema smooth problems of the 2011 sets are gone ! I noticed no lightening of the black bars when switching cinema smooth on and off. I did use the Disney "wow" disc to help calibrate the set, not anywhere near what a pro calibration will do but it is a very effective inexpensive alternative to pro calibration. If I can be of any further help just let me know. ENJOY.

GOD BLESS

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 /forum/post/21806468

OK, the expansion slot is for software and hardware upgrades. Say if next year samsung goes with a quad core chip, well the expansion upgrade will include this to upgrade your tv. I think the expansion slot was an incredible idea and its true value will be seen when the 2013 come out and a simple upgrade will be almost as good as getting a new set at a fraction of the cost. As far as why no one else did this - well look at voice control panasonic did not include this but there was an article that they were considering an add on later in this year for their tv's to have this ability, maybe they just didn't think of it or did not see the market for it either way I would be willing to bet in 2013 more manufacturers will be doing this. As for dithering, there is just the slightest and you need to be very close to the tv and looking for it to even notice it. There is no problems with cinema smooth this year as the black bars stay black when turning cinema smooth on and off. As for lag, I have noticed none just playing, now when checking the lag is about 30ms-,anything under 60ms is good , under 40ms is awesome. I can tell you that watching a hockey game- there are no white "pops" however I did notice what I am calling "LITTLE GREY FUZZIES" now- you need to be about 1-2 feet from the panel and be looking for them but I have seen them, they are about 2-3 pixels and light grey, I have only noticed a few of them, they are not noticeable at all from 3-4 feet away. I can tell you that the shadow detail is much much better than on the d8000, and that the black does not crush the detail on the E8000. The images on the E8000 are very crisp and clear, flesh tone are realistic. The web browser is greatly improved from last year. 3D is phenominal - no ghosting or xtalk at all, and the 2D to 3D is great , however there is the slightest ghosting when there is alot of small fast moving objects, but again you would really need to be looking for this. Cinema smooth problems of the 2011 sets are gone ! I noticed no lightening of the black bars when switching cinema smooth on and off. I did use the Disney "wow" disc to help calibrate the set, not anywhere near what a pro calibration will do but it is a very effective inexpensive alternative to pro calibration. If I can be of any further help just let me know. ENJOY.

GOD BLESS

pics ?
thanks tony

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 /forum/post/21805288

If you can upgrade I strongly suggest it. Not only is it better pq, the expansion pack will (should) be priceless come next year. It will be able to upgrade not only software but hardware as well. The web browser on this tv is as fast as my Dell 15R laptop. I don't know exactly why people are having trouble in the stores with the new features but they work fine here at home, maybe some settings, or not knowing how to PROPERLY use them. The motion control is alittle weird as you need to make the correct motions , and lighting can not be super bright (like in a store) or too dim. I really don't care much for the motion control but the voice control is great, no more looking for the darn remote !!!! ENJOY.

god bless

I think my PQ on the D8000 is pretty good,without calibration,so if your saying that the E series is that much better out of the box,then its a no brainer!I do want to ask,are there settings for the voice and motion control to turn it off if you dont want to use those features?I was gonna tell them id rather have the E7000 without the extras,but if the E8000 can be controlled the normal way then id just go with the E8000.

#47 ·
jroptop,

Now I don't want to start any fights or ruin anyone's day, but before you drop $1.5-3k on a new E-series plasma, for the love of God, look at them hard in the showroom
. Yes, I viewed them in the store, but it was in Best Buy's "Magnolia Room", where the lights are very dim, and I would argue it's not a bad test environment. I got to play with the remotes and I can tell you, when the E-series and D-series are literally right next to each other, I can't tell any difference between luminance, black level, or picture clarity. They appear exactly the same to my eye. I even had a hard time identifying which one was the E and which one was the D at first. Now they DID look slightly different, especially in the white balance, but this was clearly due to a lack of calibration. Some of the E-series looked slightly better depending on screen size, for instance.

The E-series looks like a great set and I'm still considering buying one, but moving from a D-series? You're going to be disappointed, unless you're looking for the added web/control features (which aren't much to write home about, in my opinion). PQ-wise, this is barely even an evolutionary upgrade. Far from the "revolutionary" upgrade of Panasonic's ST30->ST50 this year, for instance. You aren't going to see a jump like that by any means.

As for E8000 vs VT50, it's becoming more clear to me that this year Samsung upgraded its gadgets, while Panasonic was all about PQ.... in some cases hopefully catching up to Samsung (motion resolution, color accuracy), though we only have the early indications from the mid-range ST50 to go by at this point. I stopped by the VT30 in the Magnolia room to compare as well, and it's still a great contender. So good in fact that I don't think I could throw down $$$ on an E8000 until I see what Panasonic does with the VT50.

#48 ·
Sorry about the title, Mr Lang changed it for me cause I do not know how. I will see if I can et it fixed. sorry.

god bless

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 /forum/post/21806585

Sorry about the title, Mr Lang changed it for me cause I do not know how. I will see if I can et it fixed. sorry.

god bless

Edit the original post, and then click the "Advanced" button.

#50 ·
No fight here. You are entitled to your opinion. I agree to disagree with you. As for your statement about Samsung being all about gadgets, no true, albeit that is where they decided to focus most of their advertising/marketing dollars. As for the voice/motion control , yes you can "turn them off" they do not need to be used. You also get the smart touch pad remote. I can tell you that even in best buy, magnolia- that is not best viewing environment- your home is. The vt50 may be better in black level - any other comments about brighter panels and better color is yet to be seen. Samsung had the best color reproduction last year, it carried over. I can not see spending $700 more for the 65vt over the 64E8000, price for the 64 E8000 Sammy is only $3299. delivered and you get 2 pair 3d glasses in the box, no glasses with the vt50. So, IMHO I do not see the cost to higher quality ratio being better for the paqnasonic vt50. Also, the expansion pack is a great benefit which will be realized 2013. I expect the VT50 to be great, but I said that last year and Panasonic had alot of problems with thier displays last year. Samsung had thier problems but IR and burn in were not among them and that is VERY important to me. I do not work for any manufacturer and I am not a fanboy for any manufacturer. I look at

1. PQ

2. COST

3. COST TO PQ RATIO

4. CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I can tell you that prior Samsung was not the best at customer service , but they stepped up in this area this year, just look at all the people getting or being offered refunds/exchanges. I am still in the market for a 64/65 inch tv, so no manufacturer is out of the running yet. I am looking at the Panasonic 65st/gt50 Samsung 64 E8000 and even the

LG PM9700. Although LG only goes to 60" and I really want bigger. I am very happy with the Samsung E8000 performance, and waiting for the larger size review, I expect even better PQ from the bigger size. ENJOY !!

GOD BLESS

#51 ·
If anyone can change this thread name (moderators) Please rename as below.

"OFFICIAL SAMSUNG E7000/E8000 OWNERS THREAD"

Thank you.