AVS Forum banner

Drive

26K views 309 replies 65 participants last post by  Alkaline 
#1 ·

No extras details yet, this knocked North by Northwest off the top of my fave films list!

Saw it twice, not sure if that will endure tho!

See less See more
#302 ·
Hey, guys,

Has anyone noticed a framing error on the movie Drive?

I purchased the DVD (sue me; I live in the late 90's) after loving a streaming rental.

Unfortunately, it didn't quite feel the same, and when I double checked, a significant portion of the DVD's frame is missing.

The red outline is copied from a DVD playing the video at time 1:33:57. The rest of the image is from an HD version of the video from iTunes. It turns out the whole DVD version is this way. That time is just the first moment I was certain something was wrong, instead of it just feeling different.

Is the video correctly framed on the BD version?

Is this an error, or is it intentional?

If it's an error, who on earth would I report it to?

Thanks so much!

(Also, this is my first post, so if I've put this post in the wrong section, please let me know; I'll be happy to move it. I saw other framing error reports in this section, so I thought it might be a good fit.)

#303 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.s /forum/post/0

Hey, guys,

Has anyone noticed a framing error on the movie Drive?

I purchased the DVD (sue me; I live in the late 90's) after loving a streaming rental.

Unfortunately, it didn't quite feel the same, and when I double checked, a significant portion of the DVD's frame is missing.

The red outline is copied from a DVD playing the video at time 1:33:57. The rest of the image is from an HD version of the video from iTunes. It turns out the whole DVD version is this way. That time is just the first moment I was certain something was wrong, instead of it just feeling different.

Is the video correctly framed on the BD version?

Is this an error, or is it intentional?

If it's an error, who on earth would I report it to?

Thanks so much!

(Also, this is my first post, so if I've put this post in the wrong section, please let me know; I'll be happy to move it. I saw other framing error reports in this section, so I thought it might be a good fit.)

Huh

#306 ·
According to IMDB, the target aspect ratio for "Drive" is 2.35:1, so the DVD looks like it is being faithful to what the director intended. Consequently, I should imagine the Bluray will match the DVD for aspect ratio.

According to the nfo, rips of the European Bluray version are about 2.4:1

HDTV tends to cater for those who "hate black bars" on their 16:9 TV, so the other poster's suggestion that the HDTV broadcast is open matte is probably correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.