AVS Forum banner

Denon DVD-A1UD/DVD-A1UDCI Blu-Ray/DVD/SACD/DVD-A/ Universal Player

462K views 4K replies 302 participants last post by  evilzardoz 
#1 ·
Some eye candy pictures from AVBuzz-

Audioholics have posted an interesting Podcast with Denon Jeff. In it he mentions that there will be an annoucement of the player in November/December with a January/February release date in mind. It will be entirely built inhouse (yay) and is based on the same standard as their previous High-End Universal player the DVD-5910. It will also featured balanced 2 Channel outputs for CD playback for those that can take advantage of this.

Also it will feature-

- A successor to DL3 that will handle all digital clock management and jitter control for audio instead of HDMI

- New 32 bit digital upsampling and D/A conversion circuits

Pricing mentioned was going to be $3400 when they were going to included HD-DVD playback but since HD-DVD demise and Toshiba not making the optical lasers anymore HD-DVD has been dropped.

So I still invision $3000k for it and will gladly buy one to replace my current 2 Player solution.

http://www.avrant.com/?p=311

Heres hoping that Denon-

- Redesign their GUI finally on the player to match those on their new AVR/AVP's, and more importantly since this is going to be a no holds player

- Match or better the Blu-Ray load times of the PS3. Since this won't be out until early 09 hopefully technology will catch up to make this possible or else Denon can just drop a Cell processor in to make this happen at the price point it is coming out at

See less See more
#3,282 ·
I use HDMI for video only, use coax for bitstreaming and use the 5.1 analog for SACD, DVD-Audio and BD audio (i.e dts-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and PCM). I have SACD playback enabled, Source Direct set to on (I think that bypasses the bass management i.e sets all speakers to large) and 100kHz enabled in order to be able to pass the highest res signals over the analog. Remember when outputting SACD over HDMI that it will be cut down to 44.1/16.

I just seen tonight there was a new firmware update available also.

#3,283 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 /forum/post/21722863

Rgb standard is to be used. Enhanced is a different setting , that might be used with some projectors if i remember correctly, with different type of calibration on the pj though.

Deep colour does nothing since there is no such "signal" recorded in the bd disc.

I also have it set to auto , but it does nothing.

As for the rest above , you might want to ask a pro calibrator to recalibrate your kuro along with a1ud as player , to get the best out of your tv.

How did you come to the conclusion that the RGB Standard option should be used over the YPrPb option? I had my Pioneer Eliete Kuro PRO-150FD calibrated in the YPrPb setting and now you have me worried I'm not getting the most out of the player. When my ISF guy was over doing the cailbration a couple years ago he looked at the available options and immediately said to keep it at YPrPb and the results were very very good, almost spot on. He didn't try calibrating in either RGB Standard or Enhanced to compare the results to YPrPb. My Xbox 360 was also calibrated on another input and I believe he again chose YPrPb.

#3,284 ·
YPrPb option stands for utilizing rgb signals , but using really long cables , as pro"s do.

That is mainly the purpose.Since the video signal is recorded in rgb format , even in blu rays , it"s the one that should be used. It"s not actually my conclusion , but an isf callibrators conclusion.

#3,285 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S /forum/post/21805338

I use HDMI for video only, use coax for bitstreaming and use the 5.1 analog for SACD, DVD-Audio and BD audio (i.e dts-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and PCM). I have SACD playback enabled, Source Direct set to on (I think that bypasses the bass management i.e sets all speakers to large) and 100kHz enabled in order to be able to pass the highest res signals over the analog. Remember when outputting SACD over HDMI that it will be cut down to 44.1/16.

I just seen tonight there was a new firmware update available also.

So it sounds like you are using the analog outputs for listening to sacd as I am and just for the reason you mentioned about the resolution being cut down to 44.1/16. So if I understand the manual correctly having SA-CD set to on allows for Super Audio CD to be played via HDMI so that would mean we could have that set to off and it would not matter since we are both not using HDMI for SACD audio. Am I thinking correctly here? Since you have "Source Direct set to on, which you mentioned that setting bypasses the speaker/bass management, are you doing the speaker/bass management in your avr or pre/pro? The manual states that that having "Source Direct" OFF enables the speaker and subwoofer settings and that setting it to On outputs the content as is which sounds like the correct choice since I am doing the speaker/bass management in my pre/pro. Is there away to check what firmware update I am on? The repair company said they updated my player to the latest firmware and I would like to confirm that.

#3,286 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S /forum/post/21805394

How did you come to the conclusion that the RGB Standard option should be used over the YPrPb option? I had my Pioneer Eliete Kuro PRO-150FD calibrated in the YPrPb setting and now you have me worried I'm not getting the most out of the player. When my ISF guy was over doing the cailbration a couple years ago he looked at the available options and immediately said to keep it at YPrPb and the results were very very good, almost spot on. He didn't try calibrating in either RGB Standard or Enhanced to compare the results to YPrPb. My Xbox 360 was also calibrated on another input and I believe he again chose YPrPb.

Same here I had my Kuro Elite professionally calibrated with YPrPb. Since he is a highly respected calibrator I have to beleive he would have used the RGB if that was the correct setting.

#3,287 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 /forum/post/21806722

So it sounds like you are using the analog outputs for listening to sacd as I am and just for the reason you mentioned about the resolution being cut down to 44.1/16. So if I understand the manual correctly having SA-CD set to on allows for Super Audio CD to be played via HDMI so that would mean we could have that set to off and it would not matter since we are both not using HDMI for SACD audio. Am I thinking correctly here? Since you have "Source Direct set to on, which you mentioned that setting bypasses the speaker/bass management, are you doing the speaker/bass management in your avr or pre/pro? The manual states that that having "Source Direct" OFF enables the speaker and subwoofer settings and that setting it to On outputs the content as is which sounds like the correct choice since I am doing the speaker/bass management in my pre/pro. Is there away to check what firmware update I am on? The repair company said they updated my player to the latest firmware and I would like to confirm that.

With respect to setting SACD to Off I honestly haven't tried it so I can't say for sure if it relates to the HDMI, analog or both. Yes I do bass management in my SSP so I don't end up duplicating things and negatively affecting the quality of the signal. Concerning the firmware version there is a way of doing it but I can't remember off hand, it's been ages since I gave that a try. I think it's some sort of button combination you have to hold down when you insert the power cord, perhaps others can chime in on that. If you have your player connected to the Internet then the player will tell you if there is an update available by going to the Firmware screen in the Setup menu. If it says there are no updates that means you are up to date.

#3,288 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 /forum/post/21806451

YPrPb option stands for utilizing rgb signals , but using really long cables , as pro"s do.

That is mainly the purpose.Since the video signal is recorded in rgb format , even in blu rays , it"s the one that should be used. It"s not actually my conclusion , but an isf callibrators conclusion.

Interesting. So, if YPrPb is more or less a RGB signal I wonder what really differes in the spec then just to enable for longer length video cables. There must be a difference, if not it wouldn't really make sense to have separate options.

#3,289 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S /forum/post/21808977

With respect to setting SACD to Off I honestly haven't tried it so I can't say for sure if it relates to the HDMI, analog or both. Yes I do bass management in my SSP so I don't end up duplicating things and negatively affecting the quality of the signal. Concerning the firmware version there is a way of doing it but I can't remember off hand, it's been ages since I gave that a try. I think it's some sort of button combination you have to hold down when you insert the power cord, perhaps others can chime in on that. If you have your player connected to the Internet then the player will tell you if there is an update available by going to the Firmware screen in the Setup menu. If it says there are no updates that means you are up to date.

Thanks Rod#s I will check to see if it is updated with the latest firmware by doing that. I beleive you mentioned in an earlier post that a new firmware update is available. Regarding Source Direct choices under Audio Setup I have re-read the manual on this and if I am interpreting it correctly the default setting of Off is enabling the speaker and subwoofer settings in the A1 and since I mostly would be using the pre/pro for that and I wouldn't want both doing it which is why I have it set to ON. However I do like to listen to m/c sacd's using the analog connections so does that mean on those occasions I have to go back and change Source Direct to Off so I have my A1 speaker and Bass settings? I am probably making to much of this.

#3,290 ·
I am happy to report it was a false alarm and it looks like I am able to access my setup menu afterall. I just had to be in full stop mode, and as you know there can be more than one stop mode on a disc, before pressing the setup button. It took along time to get it repaired but I got new bd mechanism unit and a second part called a main unit PWB ASSY, not sure what that is, for an extremely reasonable price. the technician at Electronics lab said it was like getting a whole new player, a bit of an exaggeration. Also the csr person I spoke with today at Denon explained to me that what I had interpreted from the manual is correct regarding "Source Direct" and the way I use the A1 with my pre/pro, with its 7.1 bypass. Those few times that I listen to a m/c sacd I should set Source Direct back to off to enable the A1's speaker/bass management.

#3,291 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 /forum/post/21812935

I am happy to report it was a false alarm and it looks like I am able to access my setup menu afterall. I just had to be in full stop mode, and as you know there can be more than one stop mode on a disc, before pressing the setup button. It took along time to get it repaired but I got new bd mechanism unit and a second part called a main unit PWB ASSY, not sure what that is, for an extremely reasonable price. the technician at Electronics lab said it was like getting a whole new player, a bit of an exaggeration.

Really not too much of an exaggeration. The BD mechanism is basically the only moving part in the player and the main unit PWB ASSY is most likely the main board (roughly equivalent to the motherboard, CPU, and RAM in a computer), so you should be in pretty good shape. Other internal components would include the power supply (or supplies), video processing board, and analog audio board. The requirement to be in "full stop" mode is pretty common, though it certainly isn't intuitive.

#3,292 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 /forum/post/21809423

Thanks Rod#s I will check to see if it is updated with the latest firmware by doing that. I beleive you mentioned in an earlier post that a new firmware update is available. Regarding Source Direct choices under Audio Setup I have re-read the manual on this and if I am interpreting it correctly the default setting of Off is enabling the speaker and subwoofer settings in the A1 and since I mostly would be using the pre/pro for that and I wouldn't want both doing it which is why I have it set to ON. However I do like to listen to m/c sacd's using the analog connections so does that mean on those occasions I have to go back and change Source Direct to Off so I have my A1 speaker and Bass settings? I am probably making to much of this.

No, for SACD you also need to keep Source Direct set to On because you still want your pre/pro doing the bass management don't you? I know I certainly do, I don't want the A1 messing with the sound other than just converting DSD to PCM at the DAC's. In the analog domain with respect to the settings, SACD's shouldn't be treated any different than DVD-Audio, dts-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and PCM.

#3,293 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 /forum/post/21812935

I am happy to report it was a false alarm and it looks like I am able to access my setup menu afterall. I just had to be in full stop mode, and as you know there can be more than one stop mode on a disc, before pressing the setup button. It took along time to get it repaired but I got new bd mechanism unit and a second part called a main unit PWB ASSY, not sure what that is, for an extremely reasonable price. the technician at Electronics lab said it was like getting a whole new player, a bit of an exaggeration. Also the csr person I spoke with today at Denon explained to me that what I had interpreted from the manual is correct regarding "Source Direct" and the way I use the A1 with my pre/pro, with its 7.1 bypass. Those few times that I listen to a m/c sacd I should set Source Direct back to off to enable the A1's speaker/bass management.

Ah, so you use bypass in your pre-pro for SACD, interesting. So yes you would need to turn Source Direct to Off. Why do you run it that way? Why not let the pre/pro do the bass management for SACD? Is it because you don't have room EQ in your pre/pro perhaps? If that is the case then I could definitely see having the A1 do the bass management so that the signal stays in the analog domain all the way to the speakers. To further that, if your pre/pro doesn't have EQ why don't you also use bypass for DVD-Audio, dts-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and PCM?

#3,294 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr /forum/post/21813115

Really not too much of an exaggeration. The BD mechanism is basically the only moving part in the player and the main unit PWB ASSY is most likely the main board (roughly equivalent to the motherboard, CPU, and RAM in a computer), so you should be in pretty good shape. Other internal components would include the power supply (or supplies), video processing board, and analog audio board. The requirement to be in "full stop" mode is pretty common, though it certainly isn't intuitive.

What you described regarding the PWB ASSY is what Denon said as well. I sure missed the analog audio board for the 6 to 7 weeks it was gone. Since I am recently retired I listen to a lot more music and this player makes my cd's sound so good to my ears, but than again this is probably the only high end source player I have owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S /forum/post/21813409

Ah, so you use bypass in your pre-pro for SACD, interesting. So yes you would need to turn Source Direct to Off. Why do you run it that way? Why not let the pre/pro do the bass management for SACD? Is it because you don't have room EQ in your pre/pro perhaps? If that is the case then I could definitely see having the A1 do the bass management so that the signal stays in the analog domain all the way to the speakers. To further that, if your pre/pro doesn't have EQ why don't you also use bypass for DVD-Audio, dts-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and PCM?

I actually have room EQ but unfortunately it's not one that works automatically and I have yet to use it, and probably better left for a professional. I have been looking at the Classe SSP-800 manual and haven't been able to determine if there is an option to use the 7.1 analog inputs without having to choose 7.1 Bypass as the audio connector under input setup. I know it can be done with the 2 channel xlr inputs so I would think it’s the same for 7.1 analog inputs. I have actually done as you have suggested and gone the m/c analog route for m/c DVD-A, SACD, and Bluray concerts. I find with action type movies I like the digital route as to my ears the sound just seems to have more impact and for sure the LFE is more impactful. I think I feel the same way with DVD-A. As welcoming back my A1 I listened to the Beatles “Love” DVD-A, and was just blown away. I feel that what I have is overkill with my pre/pro and the A1 and that either way I go sounds well. That is why I was considering, dare I mention it on this forum, a Oppo-BD93 rather than pay the exorbitant price that I was originally quoted before Denon stepped up.

#3,295 ·
I have determined the 7.1 analog inputs are signal passthru with volume control. No processing being performed. So I will continue using the m/c analogs for the few instances when I listen to m/c sacd due to the audio resolution deficiency with the A1 when using HDMI. I have to admit I have listened to m/c sacd's with the HDMI connection and am not sure I am hearing a difference plus I won't have to change the Souce Direct setting and just leave it on.

#3,296 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 /forum/post/21806451

Since the video signal is recorded in rgb format , even in blu rays , it"s the one that should be used. It"s not actually my conclusion , but an isf callibrators conclusion.

Actually, video HD signals on Blu-Ray discs are encoded as component YcBcr native signals, not RGB. RGB 8-bit is used for DVD and SD video.

#3,297 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 /forum/post/21814149

I actually have room EQ but unfortunately it's not one that works automatically and I have yet to use it, and probably better left for a professional. I have been looking at the Classe SSP-800 manual and haven't been able to determine if there is an option to use the 7.1 analog inputs without having to choose 7.1 Bypass as the audio connector under input setup. I know it can be done with the 2 channel xlr inputs so I would think it's the same for 7.1 analog inputs. I have actually done as you have suggested and gone the m/c analog route for m/c DVD-A, SACD, and Bluray concerts. I find with action type movies I like the digital route as to my ears the sound just seems to have more impact and for sure the LFE is more impactful. I think I feel the same way with DVD-A. As welcoming back my A1 I listened to the Beatles Love DVD-A, and was just blown away. I feel that what I have is overkill with my pre/pro and the A1 and that either way I go sounds well. That is why I was considering, dare I mention it on this forum, a Oppo-BD93 rather than pay the exorbitant price that I was originally quoted before Denon stepped up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 /forum/post/21817696

I have determined the 7.1 analog inputs are signal passthru with volume control. No processing being performed. So I will continue using the m/c analogs for the few instances when I listen to m/c sacd due to the audio resolution deficiency with the A1 when using HDMI. I have to admit I have listened to m/c sacd's with the HDMI connection and am not sure I am hearing a difference plus I won't have to change the Souce Direct setting and just leave it on.

Now I understand why you are running things the way you do. Thanks. With my Lexicon MC-12 I'm lucky I guess to have the option of digitizing the analog inputs allowing me to apply bass management, post processing and room EQ. However, since it does not have HDMI inputs I have no choice for DVD-A, Bluy-ray dts-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and PCM, I have to use the analogs if I want the high quality sound. I would prefer to run things like you and use HDMI for those formats.

#3,302 ·
My A1UD makes a quite noticeable wirring noise, presumably from its fan(s). Now our machines are maturing nicely (!) should we be doing anything to clean fan blades and lubricate fan bearings - whatever is necessary? Have any brave owners opened their A1s up and springcleaned? Did it help? Has anyone achieved a really silent unit?

#3,306 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole /forum/post/21875031

My A1UD makes a quite noticeable wirring noise, presumably from its fan(s). Now our machines are maturing nicely (!) should we be doing anything to clean fan blades and lubricate fan bearings - whatever is necessary? Have any brave owners opened their A1s up and springcleaned? Did it help? Has anyone achieved a really silent unit?

Maybe there is some hair stuck or something. I barely hear my Unit.

Access is a little difficult with this unit. But you could try if you feel confident that you can out everything back together

all the best,

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.