AVS Forum banner

Benq w6000

404K views 2K replies 374 participants last post by  w6000owner 
#1 ·

Benq w6000

Availability - "mid 2009 for 2000 euros (= ~$2500 US // $3200 CAN)"

(I know - technically this should be in the under $3000 forum but since it replaces the w5000 and the price on this is not officially announced it would be appropriate to at least announce this here?)

Across the pond, at CEBIT 2009, seems Benq has announced the w5000's replacement . . . . Obviously limited info so far but the highlights (gleamed from translated German and Italian coverage) include -

1. Instead of white it now comes in black piano lacquer

2. The W6000= 43 x 14.5 x 31.8cm weight of 19lbs

(vs W5000= 49 x 18 x 42cm weight of 21lbs)

3. Listed at 2500 ANSI lumens (vs 1200 for the W5000)
2500 normal mode and 1100 cinema mode

4. Listed at 30 000:1 Contrast ratio (vs 10 000:1 for the w5000) **Note the cnet report I got this from lists 50 000:1 but the crop here looks like it says 30 000:1. Anyway, its a big number.

5. 280 watt lamp (vs 200 watt on w5000)

6. Lamp life is the same 2000 / 3000 if economy

7. States still has vertical and horizontal lens shift (I think the w5000 only had vertical), but one of the german forums mentions its manual, not motorized as on the w5000

8. LOUDER at 32 normal / 29 eco compared to the w5000 at 28db

9. 2 HDMI (1.3 presumably), component, a VGA connection, S-video and Composite.

10. HQV technology and 6 segment color wheel

So basically compared to the w5000 its cheaper (excluding refurbed w5000s), piano black, smaller, brighter and has better contrast, yet louder and without motorized lens shift. . . . .

See less See more
#2,130 ·
anyone use the W6000 with a Dalite JKP .9 gain screen?

#2,131 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolme /forum/post/21590480

I would have posted sooner if I had been more excited about the result. Here are my notes:

I used 2 filters so I could diminish light output in 3 steps: ND .1 .2 .3 (with both filters in front of the lens). Light transmission in order 79%, 63% and 50%.

I definitely saw a rise in contrast with the use of all filters. Blacks were also blacker but I had hoped for more. With the ND .3 at times it felt like I had upgraded the projector, there was less image noise and the contrast increase made it pleasant to just watch on. Dark scenes were also less distracting because the light gray was darker. The problem with using a strong filter is it tames the light too much in bright scenes. The great thing about this Benq is it has great colors and really pops in bright scene. Well all that was gone when I put the filter in front of the lens. Then I used the 2 other filters separately, the .1 was too weak to reduce blacks to an acceptable level and .2 was again too strong. I did also change brightness and contrast in the menus while using those filters but I couldn't find what I was looking for. Maybe with more time and working more methodically, recalibrating the gamma, white balance and the CCA you could achieve good results but I didn't feel like it.

You might be able to turn DB off with the ND .3 filter and set it to the level you prefer.

As far as I went, I think there are too many trade offs to using filters with the Benq.

Ahh.. Must've missed this post before.

Very sorry to hear all this.

Sounds like the .1 filter is the best of a bad lot.

Maybe if there was a filter with something more like 70%, that might give the best of both worlds.

Given there is a slight improvement with the (79%) .1, what's stopping you going with that?

#2,132 ·
just wanted to share my thoughts on my new JKP .8 dalite screen. I have NEVER seen an image so smooth and clean before. I urge anyone looking for a new screen to give Dalite's JKP screen a look.

#2,133 ·
Check the Great Found Deals Forum here for some seriously discounted pricing on the W6000.

#2,134 ·
Hey guys I just picked up this Projector and wondering if there is a quick link to the calibration settings that most people are using??? If anyone could put down what most people use for color,brightness,shaprness etc.... and do you guys use the w6000 in Eco mode or Normal for lamp settings?? Any info is greatly appreciated!

#2,135 ·
Stylz25, congratulations on your recent purchase. I purchased my W6000 in January 2012 and I am very pleased with it. For reference, below are my current settings which you can then modify to your personal preferences:

Brightness - 60

Contrast - 46

Color - 50

Tint - 0

Sharpness - 2

Black Level IRE - 7.5

Noise Reduction - 2

Detail Enhancement - 0

Luma - 0

Chroma - 0

Color Temp. - Normal

Gamma - 2.2

Brilliant Color - Off

Dynamic Black - On

Lamp – Economic

Eco mode is very bright.

#2,136 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycov /forum/post/0

Stylz25, congratulations on your recent purchase. I purchased my W6000 in January 2012 and I am very pleased with it. For reference, below are my current settings which you can then modify to your personal preferences:

Brightness - 60

Contrast - 46

Color - 50

Tint - 0

Sharpness - 2

Black Level IRE - 7.5

Noise Reduction - 2

Detail Enhancement - 0

Luma - 0

Chroma - 0

Color Temp. - Normal

Gamma - 2.2

Brilliant Color - Off

Dynamic Black - On

Lamp - Economic

Eco mode is very bright.

Thanks so much for the info!!! I was wondering what the Black Level IRE is exactly??

#2,137 ·
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis

Throw distance is 3.7 metres. Screen is matte white.

I zoom all the way out to 230cm wide for scope films, and usually around 180cm wide for 16x9. This is pretty much constant height.

The unit I bought had just under 500 hours on the lamp, which was really a good thing as I didn't need to wait for the lamp to settle down.

Firmware is the latest (1.01)

Settings (Economy lamp mode):

Brightness: 50

Contrast: 46

Color: 50

Sharpness: 3

Gamma: 2.2

ISF: On

Clarity Control: All three set to 0

Dynamic Black: On

Brilliant Color: Off

Black Level: 0 IRE

* The black level is slightly deeper than the W5000. Turning on and tweaking the DI improves it a little further still. More experimenting to do here.

As the peak white level is a good deal brighter than the W5000, you get a noticeable boost in contrast.

This concurs with Spexman's findings here.

* The DI ( Dynamic Black ) is a huge step up from the W5000.

It's very quick to respond, and the best thing is that you can tweak it.

As others have noted, setting +66 for Aperture Max eliminates clipping on peak whites, along with associated colour fluctuations.

This was often pretty horrible on the W5000. Here it's terrific.

I'm a bit confused about a few things though...

?* DB Aperture Position is a wierd one. This effectively acts as a global iris.

However, on a few occasions the iris won't budge until you hold the button down for a few seconds. (You'll hear it trying, though)

One other time, lowering the number actually brightened the picture! Hmmm...

?* Anyone know what DB Strength does?

I remember reading somewhere that changing the default of +2 to +1 or +3 actually deactivates it. That seems weird.

?* DB Aperture Min obviously sets the lowest limit for the black level.

Any reason why 11 or 13 is recommended? I tried dropping it all the way down to 1 for deeper black level, and didn't observe any crushing of shadow detail.

That said, I still preferred the extra punch up around 10, although for some films it's a nice option to have.

The settings I'm very happy with for now are...

DB Aperture Position: Around +46 (although setting this lower/darker can help some material)

DB Aperture Max: +66

DB Aperture Min: From +1 to +13 (around 10 seems to be the sweet spot)

DB Strength: +2

With these settings, the visibility of the DI is almost completely invisible, no crushed shadows, clipped highlights or wonky coloured peak whites.

* Sharpness! Despite using a smaller chip than the W5000, it's every bit as sharp. The extra brightness & contrast pushes this a good notch further.

It's slightly sharper (and punchier) than the far more expensive Optoma HD8600 / HD87, and miles ahead of LCOS projectors like the JVCs.

Gotta love those Benq optics...

* Rainbows... No problem at all.

I left CCA alone for now, and just settled on this...

Colour Temp: ISF1

White Balance: (with Color Temp in the Factory menu left on Cool)

Red Gain: +491

Green Gain: +474

Blue Gain: +520

Red Offset: +507

Green Offset: +487

Blue Offset: +512

#2,144 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damthrill /forum/post/21803559

I am confused, do you want dynamic black on or off? and I am assuming that is the same as dynamic iris

You want to have it enabled, if your in the Market for a screen I would recommend the JKP .8 gain screen.

#2,145 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycov /forum/post/0

Brightness - 60

Contrast - 46

Color - 50

Tint - 0

Sharpness - 2

Black Level IRE - 7.5

Noise Reduction - 2

Detail Enhancement - 0

Luma - 0

Chroma - 0

Color Temp. - Normal

Gamma - 2.2

Brilliant Color - Off

Dynamic Black - On

Lamp - Economic

Eco mode is very bright.

I was curious on your color setting? 50 seems pretty low to me! I put in Avatar and for the colors to look awesome my setting is around 62-64!! Am I missing something? Anyone else have theirs higher?

#2,147 ·
#2,149 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 /forum/post/21807501

Anyone? Is something wrong with my W6000 if I have to put my color way up?

That does seem high, if your using one of the USER modes like USER 1,2, or 3 I would check in the color management and make sure the gain and bais are at 50. Are u using a test disk to set or colors? I would not adjust the colors without a test disk.

#2,150 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny /forum/post/0

That does seem high, if your using one of the USER modes like USER 1,2, or 3 I would check in the color management and make sure the gain and bais are at 50. Are u using a test disk to set or colors? I would not adjust the colors without a test disk.

I will check that out when I get home!! I'm using User 1 and I didn't adjust any specific colors yet. Just the color near brightness and contrast. Maybe cause my ceiling is white from my drop ceiling tiles?!

#2,152 ·
I noticed the W6000 is now noisier at 24Hz than 60Hz where in the past it used to be quieter. I presume the firmware is speeding up the refresh rate 3 times 24Hz to 72Hz or even 4 times at 96Hz? I believe before it was doing 48Hz (2X color wheel?) and if one can stand the increased chance of rainbows can it be adjusted in the service menu back to 48Hz? Hopefully, I prefer the lack of noise.

#2,153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21809188

I noticed the W6000 is now noisier at 24Hz than 60Hz where in the past it used to be quieter. I presume the firmware is speeding up the refresh rate 3 times 24Hz to 72Hz or even 4 times at 96Hz? I believe before it was doing 48Hz (2X color wheel?) and if one can stand the increased chance of rainbows can it be adjusted in the service menu back to 48Hz? Hopefully, I prefer the lack of noise.

Do you mean after a firmware upgrade?

I was trying to read back to see what FW you're on now, but couldn't track it down...?

(Curious to know if there's any point going from 1.01 to 1.02.)

#2,154 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis /forum/post/21809755

Do you mean after a firmware upgrade?

I was trying to read back to see what FW you're on now, but couldn't track it down...?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Over the years I have used several W6000s in my room. The last two I have noticed 24Hz is much louder than 60Hz and I believe it's the color wheel speed. I can easily tell this when I switch between the menu and test patterns as the menu is 60Hz and the test patterns switch to 24Hz. The moment the test pattern is displayed the noise is increased and it sounds like a color wheel... medium to high pitch whine.

If I remember you can adjust the color wheel multiplier in the service menu. Which would allow me to lower the speed for 24Hz... back to 48Hz I'm presuming. Firmware wise the current unit is 102. I believe I did such a while back and it indeed got quieter however I could spot rainbows (much easier).

Update: I searched the thread and found the related info... I guess it was always louder. Until you changed the multiplier to slow down 24Hz.

There is also a color wheel multiplier that changes from 2 for 30 fps video to 3 for 24hz video essentially making it a 6x color wheel for 24hz movies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.