AVS Forum banner
1M views 16K replies 720 participants last post by  Canuck_TO 
#1 ·

Just bought the ES8000 from best buy. I called my local best buy to see if they had any, she said they have one each at 2 stores locally. I thought, oh ok they are probably show units but ill try anyway. I walked in at the perfect time. They got one in and just opened the box when I asked the guy if I could have it. All he did was cut the tape on the top of the box, the stand wasnt even removed yet (its on the top). He ended up selling it to me. Got some pics if anyone is interested.

Anyway. Im now selling my UN46B8500. Works graet, I have all original packaging and boxes. Im not sure what to sell it for yet. Even though the set is a couple years old, it has maybe a year (or less) worth of use because Ive been out of the country several times since i bought it.

#281 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny /forum/post/21805740

grass is always definitely greener!

can't wait until tv's have practically no bezel.

Current Sony XBR's are the closest to that. The bezel is actually the edge of a piece of aluminum, which is flush where it meets the edge of the gorilla glass. Really cool looking when it's off too. All you see is a sheet of black glass.

#284 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 /forum/post/21796108

I can say that the web browser is much much improved this year. It is amazingly fast. I can tell you that the slow d8000 performance is all gone in the new e series. Oh, the 2d - 3d conversion is again much improved. I never really had a problem with my d8000 but there was some ghosting in very fast scenes

Good news that the browser is much faster. After trying to use last year's clunky browser, smart hub, and apps - I'm looking forward to the ES8000

You mentioned better performance in fast moving scenes in 3D - this was a confirmation of what I had heard before: That the dual core allows the use of more video processing features during 3D playback, including motion technology. I would be interested to know exactly which options are/aren't greyed out in 3D mode compared to those that were not available during 3D playback on the D8000

As far as 2D-3D conversion and how it works...I can only see it as being improved with the added processor power. I'm sure that the suped up on the fly image processing will help as far as 3D semi-automatic depth mapping goes

The improved processor power & speed that doubles the software dimming zones (and adds the colour and detail aspect to the micro dimming contrast control scheme) should aid in the 2D to 3D conversion algorithms the tv uses. If that is indeed the case, it could be the best 2D-3D conversion available

Here's a snippet from an interesting article that helped me understand how this all works:

How Does 2D to 3D conversion work for use in 3D TVs?

3D converters are designed to take traditional 2D content and convert it into a polarized anaglyph image, or essentially two images of slightly different perspective and light level superimposed on each other. This takes more processing power than a normal 2D TV or even that a 3D TV takes to display 'made in 3D' content

Conversion software looks at the content and performs analysis of its shapes and colours, works out what's in the foreground and background, and then creates a map of the images to create two slightly different versions giving the parallax image our eyes need to receive to 'see' in 3D. Of course, the software is so powerful that it completes all of this at super fast speed

To summarise, what 3D TV conversion software is doing is modifying the depth of field of a 2D image to render it in three dimensions

http://www.3dtvguide.org/2d-to-3d-conversion.html

Another link: Awesome AVForum thread about Samsung 2D-3D conversion process
http://www.avforums.com/forums/3d-tv...r-results.html

#285 ·
got my 55es7500 delivered today! picture and everything is great to me as expected.. but, apps and smart hub seem to be as slow as the d series to me. i cant even tell this has a dual core processor. also missing the mog music app for now!! that is a huge bummer. they say it will be out end of march beginning of april since it was just now released to public?

also read reviews that you can do a split screen between the smart hub apps and regular tv, i cant figure that out for the life of me.

anyone else been able to get this to happen? i have read 2 or 3 reviews saying this can be done!

the smart remote will control a directv box also. kind of awkward for now.. gotta figure some things out. but it does bring up guide, change channel even brings up the directv menu settings.. maybe i have missed something but it is nowhere near as fast as the actual directv remote though.

#286 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slreno /forum/post/21808236

got my 55es7500 delivered today! picture and everything is great to me as expected.. but, apps and smart hub seem to be as slow as the d series to me. i cant even tell this has a dual core processor. also missing the mog music app for now!! that is a huge bummer. they say it will be out end of march beginning of april since it was just now released to public?

also read reviews that you can do a split screen between the smart hub apps and regular tv, i cant figure that out for the life of me.

anyone else been able to get this to happen? i have read 2 or 3 reviews saying this can be done!

the smart remote will control a directv box also. kind of awkward for now.. gotta figure some things out. but it does bring up guide, change channel even brings up the directv menu settings.. maybe i have missed something but it is nowhere near as fast as the actual directv remote though.

Wow, so we now have one guy with the led version saying its slower than expected and a guy with the plasma version (tonyjd40) of this release saying its faster...

#287 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm /forum/post/21809586

Wow, so we now have one guy with the led version saying its slower than expected and a guy with the plasma version (tonyjd40) of this release saying its faster...

let me update this... it does seem to be getting a bit faster. maybe it was downloading updates, adjusting memory? something.. but does seem to be getting faster the more i use it..

#288 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slreno /forum/post/21808236

maybe i have missed something but it is nowhere near as fast as the actual directv remote though.

i never read that the sammy remote would be as fast or faster, although i have a brand new hr34-700 & the remote(RF) is slow as hell, press a button, 5 seconds later guide or list comes up. our 2 hr-24s the remote is pretty fast.

#289 ·
what i mean is i have not figured out how to get it to page through the guide a whole page at a time.. by scrolling with the touch pad it pages one line at a time and if you use the channel up or down button like you do with the directv remote, it will bring up some funky manual tuning mode (hard to explain what it is) not the actual guide but some sort of tv channel thingy and you can only go one channel at a time up or down!

#290 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slreno /forum/post/21809664

what i mean is i have not figured out how to get it to page through the guide a whole page at a time.. by scrolling with the touch pad it pages one line at a time and if you use the channel up or down button like you do with the directv remote, it will bring up some funky manual tuning mode (hard to explain what it is) not the actual guide but some sort of tv channel thingy and you can only go one channel at a time up or down!

i see what u mean now, argh, not good, maybe future f/w upgrades will deal with that issue?

#291 ·
I can confirm that SmartHub is kinda slow, Im wondering how it would've been without dual core

I have my UN46ES8000 for about a week, picture looks good but here is what I have now in dark room and dark screen

It's not that bad in reality, but I can see the flashlighting. I hope someone can do some testing, not with plain picture but with something like updating firmware online in dark room

#293 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob2k2 /forum/post/21810962

I thought the head-on picture was amazing, but couldn't stand the fact that just one cushion over on the couch the picture became washed out. It's too bad as that was my only complaint on an otherwise very good television.

Just read a review that talks about the awful off-axis viewing if the tv's settings aren't tweaked the right way. It also mentions the new motion blur control during 3D mode, and the effects of micro dimming ultimate in respect to the way colors look

A few interesting quotes:

"In fact, aside from a rather limited viewing angle before contrast and colour start to reduce, and provided you steer clear of the Samsung UE55ES8000's ill-judged presets, there really isn't much to dislike about its 2D pictures."

"Ah yes, picture quality. Out of the box the Samsung UE55ES8000's pictures are flashy and eye-catching, but flawed. But with just a couple of minutes calibration work they can be converted into arguably the finest pictures yet to grace an Edge LED TV in both 2D and 3D mode, with only some backlight bleed in the corners during dark 3D scenes letting the side down."

"The Samsung UE55ES8000's 3D images are bolstered, too, by the fact that the TV is powerful enough - unlike last year's models - to enable you to apply motion processing to HD 3D images as well as 2D ones. This makes them look clearer, more immersive and less fatiguing.

The only serious flaw with 3D images is that as the screen ramps up its light output for 3D viewing, it causes fairly obvious jets of backlight bleed to appear over dark scenes in each of the image's corners."

http://www.pluggedin.co.uk/review/sa...-expert-review

#294 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber /forum/post/21810953

I can confirm that SmartHub is kinda slow, Im wondering how it would've been without dual core

I have my UN46ES8000 for about a week, picture looks good but here is what I have now in dark room and dark screen

It's not that bad in reality, but I can see the flashlighting. I hope someone can do some testing, not with plain picture but with something like updating firmware online in dark room

Wow, that looks very bad & disappointing for a soon to be owner to behold. Nowhere near as good as the pics on page 5 of the set owned by the thread starter 'Holton0289'

What are your settings. Were these pics taken in "torch mode"

#295 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber /forum/post/21780450

here are the tests you wanted

Regarding my previous post...how did you go from these beautiful, nearly flawless pictures to the ones you recently posted? A settings issue possibly?

#297 ·
Extreme tests that uncover uniformity issues can be made to trip up all LCD units even full array and have little to do with real viewing. We know 3d suffers with the backlight on full. But surely the question is are any of these issues visible on real programmes and are letterbox films improved over the D8000. I don't watch my TV with a single white word on a black background at least not for long enough for it to be an issue. Any problems when credits are rolling would be much more meaningful. Also as previously stated all "tests" should include basic settings otherwise they are worthless.

#298 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber /forum/post/21810953

Are this pics overexposed by the camera or do you see this in real? Is it that bad?

#299 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm /forum/post/21811295

Wow, that looks very bad & disappointing for a soon to be owner to behold. Nowhere near as good as the pics on page 5 of the set owned by the thread starter 'Holton0289'

What are your settings. Were these pics taken in "torch mode"

torch mode? you mean dynamic mode? I dont even know how to find torch mode

well no, it's movie/standard mode, tried MKNET settings for D8000, same thing

as I said, it's not that bad, camera make's look work, but it's there

again if you do the grayscale picture test, it's perfect, what I showed you guys is what I see in live when for example I try to do online update and picture goes black, again in completely dark room

I feel like these problems are new, which means they just happened after few days of use

#300 ·
hehehe, he doesnt mean "torch mode" per se. "torch mode" means, back light cranked up past 15 to 20. contrast cranked up to 90 to 100. and brightnes cranked up to 90 to 100.. meaning very bright "torch mode"

i would bet you have settings very high also, i have almost the same exact model (un55es7500) and it is no where NEAR what yours looks like. it is visible on mine but not to the point of distracting and only on an all black screen or black side bars, black side bars which i try to avoid at all cost anyway, hate them!

my settings are

backlight=10

contrast= 82

brightness= 50

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.