AVS Forum banner

Official Anthem BLX 200 Owner's thread

27K views 93 replies 34 participants last post by  winston9332 
#1 ·
Hello, everyone

I've heard some rumors that Anthem is going for a new universal BD player.

Has anyone known or heard anything about it?

#83 ·
I don't know who made it but the innards is identical to Sherwood of the same period (which now also been discountinued and have always had lack-of-firmware problem). Some people mentioned JVC, however I've never opened a JVC people mentioned about so I can't say for sure.

#85 ·
most BD player requires service code for a new drive to work on the given motherboard.

I personally would just move over to Pioneer BDP-53FD. I had the chance to play with my client's Anthem and as much as I like the cosmetics and trying to match my Anthem receiver, the Pioneer BDP-53FD kills the Anthem BD player.

MAYBE, at the time of release the Anthem was a killer player, but not anymore.

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo /forum/post/21810420

I don't know who made it but the innards is identical to Sherwood of the same period (which now also been discountinued and have always had lack-of-firmware problem). Some people mentioned JVC, however I've never opened a JVC people mentioned about so I can't say for sure.

My bet would be on JVC -- there is a similar fast loading player from the same time. Also, Anthem projectors were JVC re-badges as well.

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo /forum/post/21810439

most BD player requires service code for a new drive to work on the given motherboard.

I personally would just move over to Pioneer BDP-53FD. I had the chance to play with my client's Anthem and as much as I like the cosmetics and trying to match my Anthem receiver, the Pioneer BDP-53FD kills the Anthem BD player.

It's too bad Anthem bombed on the BD player. Usually they offer excellent products with great customer service to back them up.

I still greatly enjoy my AVM20 (v2.xx) processor today. Even recently I've emailed Anthem with questions about my processor and they continue to provide excellent service.

If looking for a replacement for the Anthem BD player, I'm not sure I would recommend Pioneer at this point. Reading through the owners thread it seems the latest generation of players suffers from many issues with updates very slow to come. For those will to spend as much as the Anthem, I would prefer the Oppo; you get an excellent player with support to match.

BTW, I own a Pioneer 320; one of the last "true" Pioneer BD players.

#90 ·
I own the BDP-LX55, so far I've had zero problem with the unit. Yes it doesn't have any firmware update (except for the one that was just released a couple of weeks ago), but so far it plays all of my movies with ease.

I really want to like Oppo but my luck doesn't jive with Oppo for some reason.

#91 ·
I was going to get a Pioneer 53FD as well, until I read the owners thread here.

I have a Panasonic BDP210, which is my bar for cheap players. My only complaint is it very loud when playing DVDs -- I can hear the high pitched motor / whirling over my speakers.

For some reason I can't bring myself to get the Oppo. I've been considering a Cambridge 651BD /751BD instead -- but the remote looks just as terrible as the Anthem and a review mentioned it was not particularly quiet either. After this Anthem BLX 200 and a not so great experience with a Marantz UD5005 I may just stay away from all expensive blu-ray players. They do not seem worth the cost.

BTW, Anyone interested in a Anthem BLX200? PM me.

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo /forum/post/21810439

The soon to be released Panny 500 looks pretty sweet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.