AVS Forum banner

Sub speaker cable.

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  spyboy 
#1 ·
Have found a few posts about this but none are a straight answer. What is the best cable to use for a sub, RG6, RG59, or a design sub cable.

Rg6 is designed for digital and is good with higher freq but it has 3 shieldings. 59 is used a lot for security video. And I'm not sure what type of cable they use in the sub designed cables.

Any ideas let us know

Cheers

#6 ·
On long unbalanced analog interconnects (especially sub-woofer interconnects).

The best cables have a heavy braided shield (equivalent to 14AWG or larger).

Co-ax RG-6 cable is a very generic label, it simply means, a co-ax cable with a radio frequency characteristic impedance of 75 Ohms and an overall diameter of about 1/3 inch. On cable manufacture lists about 40 different models. Optimized for frequency or weather or fire code. RG-6 Quad Shield is definitely NOT what you want for audio cable, it is designed for cable TV frequencies.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater /forum/post/21836400

Co-ax RG-6 cable is a very generic label, it simply means, a co-ax cable with a radio frequency characteristic impedance of 75 Ohms and an overall diameter of about 1/3 inch. On cable manufacture lists about 40 different models. Optimized for frequency or weather or fire code. RG-6 Quad Shield is definitely NOT what you want for audio cable, it is designed for cable TV frequencies.

There is no magic to it all thats needed is a 75ohm cable thats shielded it just has more uses than OTA or cable read the spec on this site RG6Q is 2 braids,2foils and a center conductor same wire we use Belden a lot. http://www.bluejeanscable.com/index.htm

#8 ·
How much of a difference can it make? I'm asking this because I have 4 different types of cables connected from my AVR to my sub. One RCA cable from the receiver to the SMS-1, one 22awg rg59 cable from my SMS-1 to AB interconnect, one component cable from the interconnect to another interconnect and one Monster Sub cable from the interconnect to my VTF-15H...

Im I ruining it all??

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise /forum/post/21836624

How much of a difference can it make? I'm asking this because I have 4 different types of cables connected from my AVR to my sub. One RCA cable from the receiver to the SMS-1, one 22awg rg59 cable from my SMS-1 to AB interconnect, one component cable from the interconnect to another interconnect and one Monster Sub cable from the interconnect to my VTF-15H...

Im I ruining it all??

If it gets the job done without a hum or buzz then you are there and you would have noticed it when you ran the sweep.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater /forum/post/21836400

RG6Q works just fine. As does RG6 and RG59. Perhaps Kal Rubinson, who writes for Stereophile, will chime in as he does sometimes in these cable threads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.