AVS Forum banner
494K views 3K replies 381 participants last post by  Tacoma M. 
#1 ·
8 Series

3D 240Hz

LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U,

Available in April....

#2 ·
Sharp AQUOS Quattron 8 Series 3D LED TVs

Sharp's 8 Series AQUOS Quattron 3D LED TVs in screen size classes of 60-, 70- and 80-inches (LC-60LE847U, LC-70LE847U and LC-80LE844U) offer a sleeker look with a newly designed ultra-slim bezel with a black brushed aluminum finish. The 80-inch class model features full array LED, and the 60- and 70-inch class models are edge-lit LED, all with Quattron Quad Pixel Plus II technology and 240Hz.

Like the 9 Series, the 8 series offers full HD 1080p with built-in WiFi and SmartCentral. The 8 Series includes four HDMI inputs.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptoemmes /forum/post/21791503

The OP may be thinking of the 2012 60"/70" models which are, I believe, LC-60/70LE847U.

The 2012 80" is LC-80LE844U and there is already a thread started for that.

I dunno about Sears.

Yes, Thank You. I changed the thread header to better discribe what this thread covers.

Ben Music

#8 ·
I am assuming LC-70LE847U is the same as LC-70LE735U but the 8 series has the Quad Pixel Plus II. Not sure if Plus II makes that much difference or just a marketing trick.

Quote:
8 Series Aquos LCD TVs

Sharp's newest 8-inch model (LC-80LE844U), available next month, is an active 3D set that includes Quattron four-color technology, a full-array LED backlight, and 240Hz anti-blur technology. The TV has built-in Wi-Fi, the SmartCentral interface, and 4 HDMI inputs. All 8- and 9-series sets have Quattron, plus a new Quad Pixel Plus II technology the company claims can produce greater detail, smoother lines and color transitions. The 80-inch model will be availble in April, the other sets arrive this month

60-inch LC-60LE847U, $2,700

70-inch LC-70LE847U, $3,800

80-inch LC-80LE844U, $6,000

h tt p:// news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2012/03/sharp-announces-2012-tv-line-pricing-availability.html

#9 ·
#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr /forum/post/0

...if there are questions about the display start a thread and ask them...but typically when you start an "official owners thread" you should own one...I don't get why this continues to happen.

Probably because asking "owners" is likely to provide us non owners with the right information and also provide us with "real world" answers rather than biased info from the manufacturers websites.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normandee /forum/post/21823708

Probably because asking "owners" is likely to provide us non owners with the right information and also provide us with "real world" answers rather than biased info from the manufacturers websites.

If there are no owners there are no real world opinions that was the point I was hoping to make. Typically in the past you could click on an owners thread with expectations of good information because there are owners. The first or second post had all the specs, possibly a few pictures and some early impressions of the display. I appreciate enthusiasm as much as the next person but it's not a reason to start an owners thread.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr /forum/post/21823469

...if there are questions about the display start a thread and ask them...but typically when you start an "official owners thread" you should own one...I don't get why this continues to happen.

Part of the problem is that these televisions are not yet in a brick and mortar store to see in person, and that they are available on the internet in advance of store placement. Nothing wrong with a little excitement about a new toy.

I guess it should be called an anticipation thread. Then change it to owner's.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Music /forum/post/21829460

OK guys, anticipation thread it is.

Just so you know, you keep thinking you are changing the thread title, but you aren't. The reason is that you cannot change the thread title, only mods can. You are changing the title of the original post, nothing more.

Just a heads up.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Music /forum/post/21829460

OK guys, anticipation thread it is.

Ben Music

LOL, don't bother they will be in at the end of the week !

#19 ·
I see these are on amazon for $3299 - can that be right ? FOR THE 70 INCH. I don't know much about sharp tv's but here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC-70LE8...UK/ref=lh_ni_t

amazing price for a 70 inch tv. anyone have any real info on these ?

god bless

#22 ·
Cleveland plasma site shows them as in stock.

Probably gonna make a drive over there in a couple weeks to haul one home. I'm hopeful that the backlighting uniformity is improved over the 735.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGorman /forum/post/21859163

Cleveland plasma site shows them as in stock.

Probably gonna make a drive over there in a couple weeks to haul one home. I'm hopeful that the backlighting uniformity is improved over the 735.

I thought 735 has no uniformity issue. If 735 with full array has uniformity issue, why do you think they will be able to fix uniformity on the edge lit 847U?

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousdude /forum/post/21859387

I thought 735 has no uniformity issue. If 735 with full array has uniformity issue, why do you think they will be able to fix uniformity on the edge lit 847U?

Let me preface by saying that I don't know the exact cause of the clouding and DSE on the 700 series sets...and by saying that the two LCD sets I already own have very good uniformity; one being an older Bravia CCFL and the other being edge LED

I do have a fairly decent understanding of LEDs, though.

Typical mass production binning (sorting by color, brightness, etc) on LEDs is fairly coarse in this context. With the relative low price point of the non-elite full array models, I'm assuming they aren't paying for high precision binning and driver circuits so the backlighting could vary visibly from section to section and even diode to diode. The sheer number of diodes clustered closely together and viewed directly would tend to pronounce any minor variation in the illumination characteristics. (Sharp manufactures LEDs by the way)

With edge lighting there are fewer diodes, they are not viewed directly, and the mixing effect of the diffuser is stronger so binning and driver variations play a lesser role in lighting characteristics. As long as the diffuser(s) allow for good uniformity from "edge" to "center" the backlight as a whole would seem more likely to be uniform.

Based on the experience with my current sets, it seems to me that designing and manufacturing a good edge diffuser is less expensive and easier than full array.

Whether or not it can be effectively done on a 70 screen is my concern.

Hope that makes sense. If not, I can try to clarify later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.