AVS Forum banner

Battlestar Galactica Complete Series

178K views 2K replies 281 participants last post by  erick granato 
#1 ·
#1,578 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq /forum/post/19239996

Good summary! To defend Star Trek's magically "new" looking ships, their universe has a large infrastructure that can repair/rebuild ships. BSG doesn't have that luxury, and so the scars remain, very realistically as you point out.

Yes, for most Star Trek series, that were true. But with Voyager where they are stuck in the middle of no where with very limited resources and crew, it was always amazing the small crew was able to completely fixed their ship quickly after several major attacks. Same as the first Enterprise when they were are very far away from Earth.

Back to BSG. When I rewatched the mini series or Season 1 of BSG, the clean look of Galactica just look alien to me because I got so used to Galactica's condition by the end of the series. Because of the details were kept throughout the seasons, I can usually tell what timeline an episode took place by looking at the condition of Galactica. One of the coolest part is when the Galactica's name emblem outside the ship was repainted like the crew tried to their flag ship appearance respectable while trying to keep the ship intact and running. The flag ship is the backbone of the fleet. It felt right listening to Adam's speech before going into the final battle.

#1,579 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 /forum/post/19236772

Hello. I'm not here to ruffle anyone's feathers, but I'm having doubts about whether I should continue the series or not. I've seen the mini-series as well as the first five episodes and even though I can see potential in the series, I am not at all warming up to any of the characters or the overly depressing atmosphere. Is what I've seen indicative of the pace and tempo of the rest of the series?

To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of BSG until season 2. I liked the space battles early on and thought things started getting interesting toward the end of season 1, but what really hooked me was the Pegasus episode in season 2. That and the surprises at the end of seasons 2 and 3. The show started introducing some elements of classic cult television late in season 1 (Laura's visions, Kara's destiny) and followed up with the mystery over the "final five" cylons in the latter half of season 3.

The developent of the characters over all of the episodes was really something. One of my favorite episodes, "Unfinished Business" in season 3, was entirely character-driven with hardly any special effects. And while not everything was fully explained in the end of the series,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) (where did the music that turned on the final five come from???),
it was a satisfying ending, at least to me.

#1,580 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D /forum/post/19240262

Yes, for most Star Trek series, that were true. But with Voyager where they are stuck in the middle of no where with very limited resources and crew, it was always amazing the small crew was able to completely fixed their ship quickly after several major attacks. Same as the first Enterprise when they were are very far away from Earth.

We try to forget that Voyager was a Star Trek Universe series, so I will gladly ignore the inconsistencies of that show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant /forum/post/19241362

The developent of the characters over all of the episodes was really something. One of my favorite episodes, "Unfinished Business" in season 3, was entirely character-driven with hardly any special effects. And while not everything was fully explained in the end of the series
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) (where did the music that turned on the final five come from???)
, it was a satisfying ending, at least to me.

Minor spoiler:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Dude, Dylan IS God, so therefore he was just communicating to them via Hendrix-and-variations renditions in the only way he knew, 'cause music is from the soul, so he was showing the Cylons had souls. Um, or something like that. Hey, pizza! I'm starvin' man...

Indeed, that is one of the most enjoyable, or as you put it satisfying, elements of the series: not everything is neatly wrapped up, there are some unanswered questions. And a heck of a lot of unasked answers.

Glad to see this thread is still trudging along - shows the strength and depth of the series.

shinksma

#1,581 ·
Thanks for not getting too defensive over the series. And no I'm not into space battles at all or any action really and am watching it for the drama and politics. One of my biggest peeves is that Roslin's face seems to be stuck in a constant nervous breakdown state even on less depressing occasions, but she is my favorite character and I find her down-to-earth pragmatism and cynicism hilarious.

The good news is that I can free up my DVD queue on Netflix since they are supposedly going to start streaming BSG next week and I can watch the series on the side.

#1,582 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 /forum/post/19241822

Thanks for not getting too defensive over the series. And no I'm not into space battles at all or any action really and am watching it for the drama and politics. One of my biggest peeves is that Roslin's face seems to be stuck in a constant nervous breakdown state even on less depressing occasions, but she is my favorite character and I find her down-to-earth pragmatism and cynicism hilarious.

The good news is that I can free up my DVD queue on Netflix since they are supposedly going to start streaming BSG next week and I can watch the series on the side.

Roslin is under tremendous pressure. Her gasps, sighs and short little laughs drove me crazy, though the emotion behind them is palpable and understandable. She was one of my favorite characters too.

Starbuck grew to be my favorite. She's a very vulnerable, damaged, firey but intensely loyal and duty-bound person. A very interesting character to get to know over the seasons.

Glad you're enjoying it despite your reservations.

#1,583 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant /forum/post/19241362

To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of BSG until season 2. I liked the space battles early on and thought things started getting interesting toward the end of season 1, but what really hooked me was the Pegasus episode in season 2. That and the surprises at the end of seasons 2 and 3. The show started introducing some elements of classic cult television late in season 1 (Laura's visions, Kara's destiny) and followed up with the mystery over the "final five" cylons in the latter half of season 3.

Code:
Code:
The developent of the characters over all of the episodes was really something.  One of my favorite episodes, "Unfinished Business" in season 3, was entirely character-driven with hardly any special effects.  And while not everything was fully explained in the end of the series (where did the music that turned on the final five come from???), it was a satisfying ending, at least to me.

I think that's a huge spoiler. It needs editing.

#1,585 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D /forum/post/19239729

Blu-ray picture is often grainy because how how the produced wanted how the feel of the show. But the picture quality is far better than DVD edition. The audio quality is way above the DVD version. I have both Blu-ray and DVD edition and I'll say Blu-ray version is worth it.

This is reviving a old thread, but just re-watched the Blu-Ray version and the amount of grain is horrendous! Some shots are excellent, but some shots are so bad that I wish they would reshoot it. Wishful thinking .

#1,586 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman /forum/post/21801251

This is reviving a old thread, but just re-watched the Blu-Ray version and the amount of grain is horrendous! Some shots are excellent, but some shots are so bad that I wish they would reshoot it. Wishful thinking .

The grain was an intended look. They actually added it in there as most of the show was shot digitally.

#1,588 ·
Man if only Ronald D Moore would make a new sci-fi show... BSG was great, and I'm just watching DS9 for the first time now (never seen it, shock horror!!!) and it is spectacular.

I know he is doing BSG Blood and Chrome but I would love to see a new sci-fi show of some sort.... good Sci-fi seems a bit thin on the ground these days. Any good shows that do crop up just get cancelled (SGU).

#1,589 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG /forum/post/21801533

Was the pilot shot digitally as well? That seemed to have much heavier grain in places than any episode of the series that followed (although some series shots still had pretty heavy artificial grain).

It was shot on 35mm film but how it looks I wonder if it was scanned at 1K or filtered. Also there are various CG shots that look sub HD, either due to rendering at that resolution or zoomed in.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314979/technical

Thankfully most of the discs do a really good job of accurately replicating the intended look of the show; however Season 4 is problematic due to switching between AVC and VC-1 codecs resulting in a softer less fine detailed image. It almost appears as if the show has been filtered but I am pretty sure it has more to do with VC-1 not being as efficient with amount of content on each disc. Whereas all the AVC encoded episodes look great with fine detail and accurate grain retained.

Best Regards

KvE

#1,590 ·
I really , really love this series. I think this was one of the first series collection I bought for blu-ray around 2010. Loved the soundtrack, the drama and action . It isn't a show for someone looking for nonstop action, 'cause there's a lot of drama but when the action comes is well worth it. In my opinion, this TV series are better than a lot of Sci-fi movies released by Hollywood so far.

#1,591 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad /forum/post/21801286

The grain was an intended look. They actually added it in there as most of the show was shot digitally.

Well parts of it look like my shots of old Star Wars Laser Discs that's how bad the grain is.
Frankly I wish they would take the intended grain and stick it !

#1,592 ·
Yep, this is definitely one of the best, if not the best, television series that I've ever seen, so I finally purchased the entire series on blu-ray. I remember being extremely saddened when the show came to an end, and can't wait to watch it all again.

Hoping the wife will join me this time around!

#1,594 ·
Don't hold your breath, SyFy is doing its best to cheapskate by on the good faith of Sci-Fi fans while it morphs into the complete opposite of its original premise.

They are doing their best to bury this show since the half hazard asinine amalgamation of an original property, Caprica, with BSG good will cash-in did not pan out.

SyFy's modus operandi now is to do the bare minimum with comparatively cheap inane 'reality' programing and reruns of actual Sci-Fi shows in order to retain its viewer base.

Judging from the trailer it was probably made by someone who was on production or near it but certainly not sanctioned by SyFy since it has a pointed coda at them.

Best Regards

KvE

#1,595 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar /forum/post/21824472

Yep, this is definitely one of the best, if not the best, television series that I've ever seen, so I finally purchased the entire series on blu-ray. I remember being extremely saddened when the show came to an end, and can't wait to watch it all again.

Hoping the wife will join me this time around!

Both my wife and my neighbor's wife can't stand science fiction, or so they thought! To their amazement, they were completely hooked by the first episode. My wife wants to watch the whole series again.

#1,597 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA /forum/post/21824932

I can't wait to see how the Blood and Chrome Blu-Ray will look. The trailer footage alone makes it look quite stunning compared to BSG's minimalist stuff for most of the show. Hopefully they didn't go crazy with the grain.

Blood and Chrome is a no go.

http://www.webpronews.com/battlestar...s-dead-2012-03

#1,598 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA /forum/post/21824932

I can't wait to see how the Blood and Chrome Blu-Ray will look. The trailer footage alone makes it look quite stunning compared to BSG's minimalist stuff for most of the show. Hopefully they didn't go crazy with the grain.

The CGI sets looks absolutely terrible to my eyes. I'm not really upset that the show isn't happening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.