AVS Forum banner

Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820)

472K views 3K replies 308 participants last post by  Al Sole 
#1 ·
Welcome to the Official Sony Bravia KDL-HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820)

This is the place to share information, questions and settings about the Bravia KDL-xxHX820 series

I have had my 55HX820 for almost a month now and am very happy with it. Of course I upgraded from a 5 year old Westinghouse LVM-42W2 so the jump from that to a new Sony was bound to impress.

No one else had started a official thread on this model yet so I thought I would get things started.

See less See more
#2,157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ /forum/post/21802618

Feel like I am in divorce court... A fixed price just means the customer cant haggle over the price... I own a barbershop and the fixed price of a haircut is 9.00.. Look up the definition.. You are basing your argument over someones blog that looks all jumbled up... Every retailer uses fixed pricing, where some shady ones used price fixing which someone mentioned in response to you and you didnt correct them.

C'mon, where are you getting all these arguements, statements and issues from me? I have not said anything about this issue other than "Apple does it" - refering to the article. I have not posted one thing about legal, problems etc. I only posted a link to an article outlining Sony's new pricing policy and stated it was similar to what Apple does as regards to "Fixed Price" per the article.

I still think you arguing and making points with the wrong guy here. All I said was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV /forum/post/21802285

Apple does it.

#2,164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoas /forum/post/21779252

pkg4.002eua-0104

I downloaded new update today for the HX820. Version pkg4.003. Still no details (release notes) posted for this firmware version on Sony's eSupport page--am sure the details will follow in the coming weeks.

#2,165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ /forum/post/21762655

I had some free time and decided to actually try to go through the service menu and look around.. First I could see what Jamtuff and some other people said about the white point setting changing a tv.. I, at first didnt notice any change but thought I was doing it wrong so just focused on the regular and advanced settings then came back to the white point and tried again and finally had success, kind of funny how stupid a mistake I was doing.. I think a lot of people are doing the same mistake as I am because the instructions people give are vague on what you do after you set your white point..

This is what I did to enter the service menu with which you can change white point:

1. Power Off

2. Display

3. 5

4. Volume +

5. Power On

A ugly green and black menu should be in the middle/right of the tv, from here:

1. 1

2. 2

3. 0

4. Enter (middle of the cirlce navigator, press crosshair button)

5. Enter (middle of the cirlce navigator, press crosshair button)

Now here is where you enter the white point setting with numbers 00-10 (if you want 5 it would be 05, if you want 7 it would be 07, if you want 0 it would be 00) sorry for so many examples but at first I would put just 5 or 7.. has to be 2 digits no matter what.

After you input your white point setting:

1. Enter

2. Your screen turns white.. its normal dont panic

(Do not worry what setting you input, you have full controll.. Hit Return to go back to the white point setting menu to try again... Go off the white screen to judge what you want)

After being happy with your pick:

1. Jump

2. Muting

3. 0

4. Then power off

5. Wait 20 seconds then turn power on

There you go... A long, winded instruction on how to set the white point... Sorry if this has been posted 100 times but it was unclear to me when I searched.

Thanks for this.

Does anyone know what the default white point from factory is?

#2,166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDTV /forum/post/21821315

Thanks for this.

Does anyone know what the default white point from factory is?

I dont think so.. There is no way that I know of to check, maybe some of the number codes on the bottom or earlier in the menu.. It seems the sets were on a higher white point, which I had better luck with. I have it set to 8, but you sure can see the strength of this tv by messing with the white point.. Goes from dark gray @1 all the way up to like searing white @10.. To me the white point and white balance setting are the most important.. My set had WAYY too much green color, notched that down and that helped so much... Find a scene in a movie or show that has a good mixture of darks and different colors and play around with the white balance setting.. This gave me the most luck with getting the best picture out of this beast..

#2,169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ /forum/post/0

Any improvements or additions? I am dling right now

Nothing I have noted so far and until Sony posts the latest firmware details, I can only assume another minor update to enhance wireless performance which seems to be a common update for this model.

Anybody else notice any significant changes?

#2,170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ /forum/post/21762655

I had some free time and decided to actually try to go through the service menu and look around.. First I could see what Jamtuff and some other people said about the white point setting changing a tv.. I, at first didnt notice any change but thought I was doing it wrong so just focused on the regular and advanced settings then came back to the white point and tried again and finally had success, kind of funny how stupid a mistake I was doing.. I think a lot of people are doing the same mistake as I am because the instructions people give are vague on what you do after you set your white point..

This is what I did to enter the service menu with which you can change white point:

1. Power Off

2. Display

3. 5

4. Volume +

5. Power On

A ugly green and black menu should be in the middle/right of the tv, from here:

1. 1

2. 2

3. 0

4. Enter (middle of the cirlce navigator, press crosshair button)

5. Enter (middle of the cirlce navigator, press crosshair button)

Now here is where you enter the white point setting with numbers 00-10 (if you want 5 it would be 05, if you want 7 it would be 07, if you want 0 it would be 00) sorry for so many examples but at first I would put just 5 or 7.. has to be 2 digits no matter what.

After you input your white point setting:

1. Enter

2. Your screen turns white.. its normal dont panic

(Do not worry what setting you input, you have full controll.. Hit Return to go back to the white point setting menu to try again... Go off the white screen to judge what you want)

After being happy with your pick:

1. Jump

2. Muting

3. 0

4. Then power off

5. Wait 20 seconds then turn power on

There you go... A long, winded instruction on how to set the white point... Sorry if this has been posted 100 times but it was unclear to me when I searched.

Thanks for the detailed instructions drasher.

All the instructions i have found didn't make perfect sense to me but yours are much better.

I have heard that doing this eliminates the crease etc which i am in doubt about as i don't see how it could make any difference. I see some people setting it to 4 or lower but on my screen that is grey not white.

Not sure i will do it as last time i kept thinking it at ruined the picture even though your instructions show i hadn't even saved the settings.

I ended up however doing a reset as i wanted it back to default settings.

Thanks again.

Aaron

#2,171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 /forum/post/21824869

Nothing I have noted so far and until Sony posts the latest firmware details, I can only assume another minor update to enhance wireless performance which seems to be a common update for this model.

Anybody else notice any significant changes?
Benefits and improvements:

Improves the performance and stability of the Internet TV features.

Improves the performance of Wi-Fi integrated models with last generation routers.

Restrictions: only for use with TV sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries

http://www.sony.gr/support/el/produc...ds/AZ2EUA_4002

#2,173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDTV /forum/post/21824856

Thanks again drasher.

I assume a factory reset of the TV would be the only way to restore original white point.

I did the update perhaps I might notice faster menu transition and Wi-Fi connection.

Perhaps?lol

I'm crazy because I just updated to the U.S. last version that I never applied lol.

#2,174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi /forum/post/21827269

i might be wrong, but my menu scrolling isnt as laggy as before...

You may be right. I was able to spend some time with the TV yesterday and I didn't seem to have any trouble with the Home menu freezing or my widgets not loading while connected wirelessly as opposed to wired( something I have had trouble with all along) . I did have to reset the TV to get all my OTA guide data to re-load--but other than than that--menu scrolling seems to be a bit snappier for me too.

#2,176 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel /forum/post/21783176

This is the story of my Sony 55HX820 and it's short life.

The saga continues...

Well - if you've been following along, the first power supply board (I learned this is called the G6 board) failed to repair my set which blinks its standby light twice pauses and repeats.

I was away all last week, so was unconcerned with the set repair. While away I received an email on Mar. 20th from Sony;

"Dear Valued Sony Customer

This message is to inform you we have placed a part(s) on backorder for your repair request.."

Great.. back ordered again. How long was this going to take? Not long apparently. Because on Mar. 22nd I received this email from Precision Television;

"Hello,

We are happy to inform you that we have received the parts necessary to repair your television."

A few phone calls later and I had an appointment for a tech to come and replace the board for today Mar. 27th.

The repairman arrives.. finally going to have a working set!

The second G6 power supply replacement board produced the same result as the first. Dead Sony. The repair tech had no idea - a call was made to Sony by him.

"I replaced the power supply board and the set is dead, no standby light, but when I put the old board back in the set displays the two blink error code"

"Did you replace the G6 and G7 boards."

"No - just the G6"

"They both have to be replaced at the same time"

Apparently the board above the main power supply board also provides power functionality, but who can say for sure.

The guy on the other end of the line, from Sony, decided that enough was enough and said they would call me in a few days to replace my set.

We'll see.. I don't think I want a refurbished set to replace my 3 month old broken set. At this point I am at a loss and wish I could just take it back to Fry's for a refund.

It's not over yet..

#2,177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel /forum/post/21834603

Well - if you've been following along, the first power supply board (I learned this is called the G6 board) failed to repair my set which blinks its standby light twice pauses and repeats.

It's not over yet..

Sorry to hear that man. I am thinking of purchasing this set, you guys think I should get the 5 year service coverage

?

#2,178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars009 /forum/post/21836572

Sorry to hear that man. I am thinking of purchasing this set, you guys think I should get the 5 year service coverage

?

They have the 2012 version out in a week or so, its going for $2100.. I would go for the newer model but if your set with this one I wouldnt waste the extra money with it.. Too me, if you buy from a company that backs the products or a retailer that does, than those extra warranties just add too the cost. Sony might fight about fixing tvs, but I dont think they have ever denied anyone that I know of if its a defect.

#2,179 ·

Quote:

I was away all last week, so was unconcerned with the set repair. While away I received an email on Mar. 20th from Sony;

"Dear Valued Sony Customer

This message is to inform you we have placed a part(s) on backorder for your repair request.."

Great.. back ordered again. How long was this going to take? Not long apparently. Because on Mar. 22nd I received this email from Precision Television;

"Hello,

We are happy to inform you that we have received the parts necessary to repair your television."

A few phone calls later and I had an appointment for a tech to come and replace the board for today Mar. 27th.

The repairman arrives.. finally going to have a working set!

The second G6 power supply replacement board produced the same result as the first. Dead Sony. The repair tech had no idea - a call was made to Sony by him.

"I replaced the power supply board and the set is dead, no standby light, but when I put the old board back in the set displays the two blink error code"

"Did you replace the G6 and G7 boards."

"No - just the G6"

"They both have to be replaced at the same time"

Apparently the board above the main power supply board also provides power functionality, but who can say for sure.

The guy on the other end of the line, from Sony, decided that enough was enough and said they would call me in a few days to replace my set.

We'll see.. I don't think I want a refurbished set to replace my 3 month old broken set. At this point I am at a loss and wish I could just take it back to Fry's for a refund.

It's not over yet..

Try what other people have replied, contact a higher level of rep support or SonyListens thru either facebook or other means.. It sounds like your getting the basic treatment which saves them money and time.. Through facebook is a great way, in ur case its a defect on the set, which makes them look bad in a public spotlight. Other people on here have done this, search through the forums and contact them if you need information, but I saw someone reply a couple pages back with some good information for your situation.

#2,180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr /forum/post/21824924

Thanks for the detailed instructions drasher.

All the instructions i have found didn't make perfect sense to me but yours are much better.

I have heard that doing this eliminates the crease etc which i am in doubt about as i don't see how it could make any difference. I see some people setting it to 4 or lower but on my screen that is grey not white.

Not sure i will do it as last time i kept thinking it at ruined the picture even though your instructions show i hadn't even saved the settings.

I ended up however doing a reset as i wanted it back to default settings.

Thanks again.

Aaron

I had best luck @7 and higher, about it hurtin the picture is that you have to reset your settings and apply again. I have had the best luck with setting white point to 7(ive gone higher with, just bright content gets flooded) then going to white balance and correcting from there.. You will see, most of the annoying color problems can be fixed on the white balance option.. These sets have too much color, every setting I have done, I had to kill the color to about -5 in dark scenes to adjust, then bright scenes adjust to whatever type of programs you favorite in.. Those two alone have given me a ton of success, even clears up some of the NOISE which I have never seen so much too this set lol.. I do have a new HT power center coming, my other one is OLD.

#2,181 ·

Quote:

It's not over yet..

If you have a Twitter account, tweet a complaint to @Sony and @SonyElectronics and everyone here can just help u by retweeting it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.