AVS Forum banner

Norfolk, VA - Cox

756K views 9K replies 246 participants last post by  robertawillisjr 
#1 ·
I would like to hear peoples opion about Cox HD service in the Hampton Roads - Va Area. I am disppointed that they don't have all the locals in HD and no DVR out yet. They need to start adding more channels for the money they charge. What do other people think??

#7,237 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio /forum/post/21818820

http://ww2.cox.com/aboutus/hamptonro...peedsusage.cox

This breaks down the caps vs the speeds. I have 200GB for my account & I have used 20GB w/ 11 days left. 130 is the most I ever used & that was over the holidays when I was home all day watching HD netflix.

Thanks. When did the Premier Package get dropped to 3 up? Didn't it used to be 25/5?

I know I've gone over 200 at least once but not close to the 250 cap. I average between 130-180. The wife watches a lot of HD shows on Netflix and I'll watch the occasional movie or six.

Also, what is the normal per month price for Preferred?

#7,238 ·
Not sure about that upload speed question.

Preferred is 52.99 for normal price.

#7,239 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor /forum/post/21813374

Woah, she will not be happy about that. She catches the weekend reruns of Gilmore Girls and 90210 on there. Any idea when that's supposed to happen?

Maybe later than sooner??? TVGuide

#7,240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV /forum/post/21829110

Maybe later than sooner??? TVGuide

That article was incorrect. It was actually the one that started all of the drama.

#7,242 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio /forum/post/21829782

That article was incorrect. It was actually the one that started all of the drama.

Of course, I got it from Wiki... LOL

#7,243 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV /forum/post/21829931

Of course, I got it from Wiki... LOL

I reacted to this article & then looked at the actual press release & it didn't mention the switch. I think that was one option given to companies. Reading the article again it was changed. The last part was not originally there. My understanding is that we are keeping both.

#7,244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio /forum/post/0

I reacted to this article & then looked at the actual press release & it didn't mention the switch. I think that was one option given to companies. Reading the article again it was changed. The last part was not originally there. My understanding is that we are keeping both.

Is that local or system wide keeping both?

#7,245 ·
Not entirely sure but my thought would be company wide. We shall see soon though.

#7,248 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla /forum/post/21834587

is Cox authorizing Xbox's for HBO Go Yet?

I was off the grid is it working for you all? I can't get in touch w/ my marketing people right now.

#7,249 ·
I Think I meant Epix on Xbox 360 when I asked, as the APP is live, but it says that Xbox 360's were'nt being Authorized by Cox. (last Time I checked).

I just got an Email from HBO today about 30 mins ago advertising that its functional on Xbox 360 now, whether or not Cox is Authorizing Xbox Devices, I don't know.

So I'll check when Im done in office later tonite. (Check HBO and Epix),

My plan this summer is to replace my 2 DVRs with a Custom Built HTPC w/ 4 tuners and 1.5 TB, Will Prolly Do 8 Tuners (2 Cable Cards) if Funds Permit.

While the Ceton tuners aren't On-Demand Capable (According to comcast people),

There's more content on MaxGO/HBOGo than there is on demand anyway (movies wise at least).

So it's just a matter of Minimizing MediaCenter and going to those sites and/or using Internet TV on Media Center for CBS and stuff.

Now if only i can use email logins on my account that arent the master email account to login.

also is Starz/Encore going to be doing online anytime soon?

the Ceton 4 Tuner USB Box is on sale for like 160 on Newegg so i may get one of those and swap one of my DVRs for a Cable Card (That would be -$21ish, and +$5ish?), hook the USB Tuner to my PC which is always on and has enough power to do pretty much anything, and set 2 of the tuners to the LAN so my brother can tune on his PC, which is easily connected to the HDTV.

#7,250 ·
ok this is my TV breakdown...

Cox TV Starter $18.00

Expanded Service 41.99

Advanced TV (qty 2) 21.99

Cinemax 11.00

HBO 15.99

Showtime 9.00

Starz 7.00

VA Cable Right Of Way Fee 0.83

DVR Service (qty 2) 19.98

P.E.G. Access 0.20

Advanced TV HD DVR Receiver (qty 2) 15.98

Total TV $161.96

is it supposed to be charging me twice for Advanced TV?

i thought that was a baseline service that covers the entire address (like starter and expanded). I wasnt aware having 2 boxes I would be getting charged twice for the service.

The only thing i understand charging twice for is the DVR Service and the Receivers.

While were talkin about AdvancedTV, Which one do I have now? I have all the channels except the spanish ones.

Dropping 1 DVR will take off, $17.98 or so. (thats assuming i just divide my current (qty2) DVR entries by 2)

Adding a cable Card will be $4.69ish

Price increase will add about $5.31ish,

ps Cox's Website is still listing "personal webspace" as a feature for the internet packages.

#7,253 ·
Just got home. Mine is working too. Still no deal w/ Epix I guess. Not surprised though, since they are so tight w/ Netflix.

#7,254 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla /forum/post/21839907

ok this is my TV breakdown...

ps Cox's Website is still listing "personal webspace" as a feature for the internet packages.

Where do you see it at? I'll get it removed just can't find it.

#7,255 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio /forum/post/21841464

Where do you see it at? I'll get it removed just can't find it.

It shows under all 4 packages:

#7,257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandflea /forum/post/21842780

Yep. I have a ceton and a Motorolla TA was required. Love the Ceton - BTW. Every once in a while I have to power cycle the TA, but otherwise it's stable as can be.

USB or PCI-e version?

the USB Version, everyone has power problems, but I've been building systems already for people in my area and they've had no problems.

Combination of Setting the Windows7 Power Profile for USB not to Cut off, and the Beta Firmware for the Tuner.

#7,258 ·
#7,259 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV /forum/post/21843666

Cox: Still No Plans For Usage-Based Internet Fees

Thanks. I've always thought I had the 25mbps service. At least that's what I signed up for years ago. Come to find out, I'm at the 15mbps level. My cap is 200gb per month. Weird part is, when I do a speed test from home, my speeds are more like 25/5, not the 15/3 I'm supposedly paying for.

#7,260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor /forum/post/21844021

Thanks. I've always thought I had the 25mbps service. At least that's what I signed up for years ago. Come to find out, I'm at the 15mbps level. My cap is 200gb per month. Weird part is, when I do a speed test from home, my speeds are more like 25/5, not the 15/3 I'm supposedly paying for.

My speed tests are insane, and no where near what i pay for..

i've gotten average 40down 6up, i've peaked at 75down 6up a few times.

slowest average was 15 down 4 up.

and theres a few 4 down 512k up tests in my log (i think there was a line down in my neighborhood though.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.