AVS Forum banner

Knoxville, TN - HDTV

264K views 2K replies 187 participants last post by  MRM4 
#1 ·
I received an e-mail from Bob Williams, chief engineer at WATE-TV. They already have a high powered transmitter on site at their new antenna and plan to begin full powered transmissions in June or July. The new digital station will be WATE-DT 26. There was no word on whether they plan to pass through HDTV.

In a similar vein I received an e-mail from Mr. Lee, the general manager at WBIR-TV. They plan to be on the air and to start passing through some programming in May on WBIR-DT 31 from that new tower that can be seen going up on Sharp's Ridge. I assume that means they will be passing through HDTV. NBC has Jay Leno and a few other programs occasionally broadcast in HDTV, but there is a rumor that they are going to soon be broadcasting lots of HDTV.

It's time to start putting up antennas. I live in an old house which is going on 100 years old soon. I've no choice but to put an antenna in the attic in this old house which is in a very difficult multipath area. Running cables is a major hassle so I'm starting now. Updated 12-22-05

Larry

#1,829 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 /forum/post/0

If you want to see a contrast in picture quality with WVLT, just tune in to one of the NCAA tournament games, then switch to one of the games on TNT or TBS.

I was in Nashville this past week and I saw WTVF (CBS) in HD for the first time and WOW what a difference between WVLT it was SO much sharper and its 1080i; there local news is the best of all the other stations in that DMA as well IMO.

I think they were the first HD local news in the entire state of Tennessee.

WKRN has almost the exact same set as WATE I guess since there both owned by Young Broadcasting.

#1,832 ·
Is Comcast glitch-ridden all over town tonight? I'm on the south side. It's not much fun watching the Lady Vols on ESPN tonight. The audio was horrid in the first half. The glitches have happened 20-40 times and the game isn't over, 10:26 left in the second half....

#1,834 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy /forum/post/21831657

Is Comcast glitch-ridden all over town tonight? I'm on the south side. It's not much fun watching the Lady Vols on ESPN tonight. The audio was horrid in the first half. The glitches have happened 20-40 times and the game isn't over, 10:26 left in the second half....

It was an ESPN problem that was present in the ESPN3.com simulcast as well.

#1,835 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRice16 /forum/post/21840018

It was an ESPN problem that was present in the ESPN3.com simulcast as well.

I had MSNBC on my second Tivo tuner at the time and it was glitch-ridden too. My Comcast service has dipped lately. Maybe it wasn't all ESPN?

#1,837 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACINTN /forum/post/21755352

Thanks for the update.The chart shows just how pitiful my cable co.(Charter) is.Lagging behind Knology? Come on.lol

Looks like there might be some good news for Charter folks regarding more HD channels, I noticed a member over at the Charter HDTV thread posting a question about additional HD channels in Maryville, TN and the UMatter2Charter support stated this:

"I am following up to advise that we are shooting for late June/early July for HD additions in TN. It looks to be about 45 HD channels, but we cannot announce specifics just yet. Some of the channels that you have listed ARE on the launch plans and we hope to do about another 50 more by end of year."

EDIT: I am also going to make a couple of minor updates to the chart later tonight, since there minor I will keep the chart on the previous post linked in my signature.

#1,838 ·
I was watching the basketball game last night and noticed that WVLT was sending a 720p signal, at least that's what I was getting from DirecTV. I very rarely watch WVLT except for football season, did they change from 1080i?

The picture was sub-standard in my opinion, is typical of WVLT these days?

#1,839 ·
WVLT switched to 720p a couple of years ago. The PQ was even worse when they were a 1080i station.

#1,841 ·
CBS, indeed, is a 1080i network. WVLT and the CBS affiliate in Lexington, Kentucky both went 720p about the same time. I thought that might be the start of some kind of trend at the time. I don't know of anymore stations doing so since.

Just call WVLT cheap-o, cheap-o.....they were much worse as a 1080i station. That's hard to fathom.

#1,842 ·
For the past couple of months, WVLT has improved it's picture greatly. I get WVLT and WJHL and they now look about the same. WVLT in some ways looks better especially the in terms of the color quality. I think they are worthy of some compliments. The Final Four looked better on WVLT.

#1,843 ·
WVLT does look better than it did when it's showing something on film (prime time shows). But their live broadcasts and sporting events have dull colors. It was easy to see the difference when the NCAA tournament was on and you could switch to one of the Turner channels also carrying the tournament.

#1,844 ·
Well its about time Lockwood Broadcasting finally got there connection upgraded to do an HD feed for the 10 p.m. newscast on WBXX-TV. They were previously using a T-1 (1.54Mbps) that was not enough bandwidth to produce an HD feed at least that is what I was told by the Chief Engineer at WATE-TV.

#1,845 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvvolfan /forum/post/21892704

Well its about time Lockwood Broadcasting finally got there connection upgraded to do an HD feed for the 10 p.m. newscast on WBXX-TV. They were previously using a T-1 (1.54Mbps) that was not enough bandwidth to produce an HD feed at least that is what I was told by the Chief Engineer at WATE-TV.

Is it financially logical to spend the money to upgrade for an HD connection between WATE and WBBX when the newscast is only 10 minutes in duration?

#1,846 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas /forum/post/0

Is it financially logical to spend the money to upgrade for an HD connection between WATE and WBBX when the newscast is only 10 minutes in duration?

Incorrect it's actually a full 35 minutes now, the short newscast was back when WBIR was producing it now it's WATE.

#1,848 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowtn /forum/post/21864647

For the past couple of months, WVLT has improved it's picture greatly. I get WVLT and WJHL and they now look about the same. WVLT in some ways looks better especially the in terms of the color quality. I think they are worthy of some compliments. The Final Four looked better on WVLT.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. The main thing that stands out to me is their live feed from out in the field. Before it looked AWFUL, almost like they were filming it from a cell phone, and the people always looked scrunched up. But now the quality looks excellent. The little things like graphics, camera angles, and the set have improved as well, looking more like a professional newscast should IMO.

Everyone else's thoughts?

#1,850 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvvolfan /forum/post/21908110

I will say this about WVLT compared to all three newscasts; when they are showing sports highlights of games that aired from other channels such as ESPN, ABC, SportSouth, etc the HD quality looks loads better then WBIR & WATE.

I agree with that. The other two's highlights look like they came from a third world country.

#1,851 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvvolfan /forum/post/21908110
  • The latest update is complete!
  • Any questions, comments, suggestions and corrections are always welcome.

VolFan... I mentioned before I wasn't getting the new Comcast lineup in Fountain City, but I checked last night and am finally getting all the channels I should.

I'm also getting everything in the 1000s, too! Unfortunately, Tribune hasn't updated the channel listings for TiVo. So I get no show info, but the channels are there.

#1,852 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ /forum/post/21963464

VolFan... I mentioned before I wasn't getting the new Comcast lineup in Fountain City, but I checked last night and am finally getting all the channels I should.

I'm also getting everything in the 1000s, too! Unfortunately, Tribune hasn't updated the channel listings for TiVo. So I get no show info, but the channels are there.

Awesome! Glad to hear you finally got them. Did you notice the error on the HD channels in the 1000s they had a typo when doing the lineup HGTV HD was supposed to be 1290 (beside DIY HD) instead of 1920 with HBO HDs.
UPDATE: HGTV HD is fixed now, I contacted Comcast Corporate via Social Media a little over a week ago regarding it and now its fixed.

I'm still not 100% sure if all the "surrounding" areas have them yet or not, I've heard that Sevier & Blount County are both on different lineups then Knoxville I am not sure though if there out of the same headend or not. I really have no way to confirm for sure...

Here is the lineups shown from http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings which seem to be pretty accurate now:

Sevierville, TN Comcast: (I think they only serve these zip codes/areas 37864, 37868 (Sevierville/Piegon Forge), 37764 (Kodak) the rest of Sevier County is serviced by Charter.)

401 FSN HD

402 Comcast Events HD (CSS Part time)

403 ESPNHD

404 ESPN2HD

405 GLFHD

407 TNTHD

409 UHD

410 A&EHD

411 PLDHD

412 VELOCITY

413 NGCHD

414 FOODHD

415 HGTVD

416 HBOHDe

417 MAXHDe

418 SHOHDe

419 STZHD

420 USAHD

421 TBSHD

422 HISHD

423 CNNHD

424 DSCHD

425 TLCHD

426 APHD

427 SyfyHD

428 FNCHD

429 AMCHD

430 BRAVOD

431 WATEH ABC

432 WBIRHD NBC

433 WVLTD CBS

434 WTNZH FOX

435 WBXXH CW

440 WKOPHD PBS

441 TWCHD

442 TOONHD

443 NICHD

444 FAMHD

445 DISXD

446 SCIHD

447 DXDHD

448 NBCSP

449 ESNEWSHD

450 SPDHD

451 FX HD

452 SPKHD

453 CMDHD

454 FUSED

455 WE HD

456 IFCHD

457 E! HD

458 TRAVEL

459 TRAVD

460 MGMHD

461 STYLEHD

462 G4HD

463 TVONEHD

464 BIOHD

465 LMNHD

466 GRNHD

467 ENCRe

468 HALLMH

469 FBNHD

470 CNBCH

471 QVCHD

473 MTVHD

474 VH1HD

475 BET-HD

476 CMTHD

478 NBA HD

479 MLBHD

Blount County, TN Comcast: (Only areas I can think of that are not serviced by Charter there are Rockford, Friendsville, Townsend, Greenback TN)

384 HSNHD

385 HALLHD

399 msnbcHD

403 ESPNHD

404 ESPN2HD

405 GLFHD

407 TNTHD

411 PLDHD

412 VELOCITY

413 NGCHD

431 WATEH ABC

432 WBIRHD NBC

433 WVLTD CBS

434 WTNZH FOX

435 WBXXH CW

438 IONHD ION

440 WKOPHD PBS

448 NBCSP

1002 WKOPHD PBS

1003 IONHD ION

1006 WATEH ABC

1007 WBXXH CW

1008 WVLTD CBS

1009 MYVLT MNT

1010 WBIRHD NBC

1011 WTNZH FOX

#1,853 ·
There is someting deeply, deeply flawed with WVLT's transmit antenna. I am getting WKOP at a signal level of 65 and WVLT is at 1 and dropping out. However, my bedroom TV gets WVLT fine on a little loop antenna. WKOP and WVLT are on the same tower with WKOP at 100,000 watts and WVLT at over 800,000 watts.

Something is making their signal do better on the ground than on the roof. Their engineer does not want to hear about or respond to these problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.