AVS Forum banner

New ED Cinema custom 9 channel build: Finally pulled the trigger

8K views 122 replies 25 participants last post by  ChopShop1 
#1 ·
Well, I finally made a decision. After about a week of talking with Alex and Brett and Elemental Designs, I have pulled the trigger on a new setup. Back around the first of the year, I decided to take advantage of Vanns sale on Energy. Once I really evaluated my room and my goals, I realized that this system wasn't quite going to make it.

Backround: I am blessed enough to have the opportunity to be building a new home. One of the biggest things to me in the build was a media area. Well, as things would go, I decided to give up the major part of the basement to my daughter for a game room/multi purpose room for her and her friends. This left me with a lot of thinking to do in regard to how to feed my need for home theater
Back around the first of the year, I decided to take advantage of the Vanns sale on energy speakers. Buyers remose set in as soon as I started trying to decide what subs to use. The room that I get to use for media after giving up the basement is huge. It is 20x28 with almost 14ft high vaulted ceilings...needles to say, I need some serious output to reach reference levels. This started my search for a new setup, which led me to JTR, ED, and a few others, My selection was somewhat limited based on form factor. This room will be used for fight night, big games, movies, cocktail hour, etc..so while WAF wasn't a factor, my appeal factor was. I really wanted something that would "blend" as much as possible in the room and look nice (not fine furniture nice, but good audio equip nice). At the end of the day, the attention I received from Alex and Brett at ED, as well as the reviews and advise of others (MK, Nezff with his new setup) made my decision for me.

So now for the fun part...What we(myself and the guys at ED) finally decided on is as follows:

1.Two ED(c) towers, upgraded and containing two 12s

2.An ED(c) center, upraded with two 12s

3.For rear and side surrounds, ED(c) 12s, upgraded and with custom enclosures to fit decor

4. Height speakers will also be ED(c) 12s, upgraded and with custom enclosures to meet optimum specs for height speaker placement relative to my room and seating position.

5. SUBS!!! I think a good bank for the buck sub that will meet my needs, and save me a few$$$, is the A7-450.....2 of them!!!

Needless to say, I am psyched like a little kid. As time goes on, I will update with pics of the build(room) along with preliminary designs,pics,etc for ED. A big thanks to James(MKtheater) for taking the time to go back and forth with me and listen to my tastes and goals and budget. Stay tuned....

See less See more
#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp /forum/post/21831875

Damn... so few people have the A7-900's. So Alex won't make them anymore?

He didn't say that...his opinion was that the A7-450 and the 900 were very close in performance, and that the 900 may have an SQ edge based on using two drivers and straining each less. I asked about any other option, existing of custom to top the 450. Basically the answer is that he thinks I don't need to spend any more money(a refreshing change of pace from most) and that any possible gains would be minimal. Its so hard to make the sub decision, which is funny becuase I have this funny feeling that no matter which subs I choose, If I never hear the other options I will be perfectly happy. I also may always wonder what I'm missing, which means I may end up trying many. AAAAAHHHHHHHHH

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 /forum/post/21846727

I have concept pics from Brett that were emailed to me as a JPeg..can anyone tell me how to get them attached to a post??

When you make a post there is a button at the bottom of the screen under Additional Options that says "Manage Attachments." Click on that and you can add your pictures. You may need to resize them first in Paint.

Edit: Nevermind

#63 ·
To be honest Nezz, I like the look of them below better, but as discussed with Brett, its not optimum for performance. The only other thing that I saw this morning on the ED forum was pics that Alex has of the mains with slot ports in the middle and those look pretty sick.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 /forum/post/0

To be honest Nezz, I like the look of them below better, but as discussed with Brett, its not optimum for performance. The only other thing that I saw this morning on the ED forum was pics that Alex has of the mains with slot ports in the middle and those look pretty sick.

Where are these pics. I wanna see.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qx56 /forum/post/21848876

I like the the round ports In the middle better than the slot for the towers but its not my money.

After looking at them more, so do I. I really like the slot ports, but maybe in a dedicated room. I think they look more "pro audio". The round ports, to me, will look better for my purposes on the front stage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.