AVS Forum banner

Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820)

472K views 3K replies 308 participants last post by  Al Sole 
#1 ·
Welcome to the Official Sony Bravia KDL-HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820)

This is the place to share information, questions and settings about the Bravia KDL-xxHX820 series

I have had my 55HX820 for almost a month now and am very happy with it. Of course I upgraded from a 5 year old Westinghouse LVM-42W2 so the jump from that to a new Sony was bound to impress.

No one else had started a official thread on this model yet so I thought I would get things started.

See less See more
#2,182 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ /forum/post/21839371

Try what other people have replied, contact a higher level of rep support or SonyListens thru either facebook or other means.. It sounds like your getting the basic treatment which saves them money and time.. Through facebook is a great way, in ur case its a defect on the set, which makes them look bad in a public spotlight. Other people on here have done this, search through the forums and contact them if you need information, but I saw someone reply a couple pages back with some good information for your situation.

Yes.. I am not upset with Sony, yet. I am posting mainly to share my experience and to keep a record in case things go south.

I will be the first to escalate as soon as I feel my repair is being mishandled.

At this point I am slightly bemused. The first Sony rep I talked to made me feel like I was being too impatient when I asked for a replacement set. I find it ironic that a month later, that is what is likely to happen.

I received this email from Sony..

Extended Delay

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:01 PM

"SonyRepairCenter@am.sony.com"

Dear Valued Sony Customer

Sony records indicate that our Authorized Servicer has been unsuccessful in completing the repair of your product. We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you and appreciate your patience.

A customer service Rep will be contacting you shortly to discuss your repair options. If for any reason you do not hear from us, please call 1-800-222-7669 (SONY).

If I don't get a call from them by tomorrow afternoon., I will call and see what's up. Hopefully they plan to do right by me.

#2,183 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel /forum/post/21840469

Yes.. I am not upset with Sony, yet. I am posting mainly to share my experience and to keep a record in case things go south.

I will be the first to escalate as soon as I feel my repair is being mishandled.

At this point I am slightly bemused. The first Sony rep I talked to made me feel like I was being too impatient when I asked for a replacement set. I find it ironic that a month later, that is what is likely to happen.

I received this email from Sony..

Extended Delay

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:01 PM

"SonyRepairCenter@am.sony.com"

Dear Valued Sony Customer

Sony records indicate that our Authorized Servicer has been unsuccessful in completing the repair of your product. We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you and appreciate your patience.

A customer service Rep will be contacting you shortly to discuss your repair options. If for any reason you do not hear from us, please call 1-800-222-7669 (SONY).

If I don't get a call from them by tomorrow afternoon., I will call and see what's up. Hopefully they plan to do right by me.

They get paid to do these things, its like customer service anywhere else... Things are much easier when you agree to what they say.. They can protect themselves by saying certain things are in specs for models but with your problem it sounds like a part defect which you have to get across to them.. Go to facebook to Sonylistens or scroll back and look for higher tier customer support... I guarantee they will do this again and again until you get someone who has authority to fix it without putting you on hold to ask a "higher up".

If I were you, I would be upset that instead of fixing a problem(which can be done very easy) they keep this up after a month.. I would go on Facebook with your story, constantly give out how long you are waiting, say that they keep making YOU wait for a tv that never worked.. SonyListens is known to try to hush hush people who have had problems like you are having... Remember your not dealing with a crease or other problems... 1 month is wayy to long in my eyes

#2,184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ /forum/post/21840516

They get paid to do these things, its like customer service anywhere else... Things are much easier when you agree to what they say.. T... 1 month is wayy to long in my eyes

Well, you may be right, I seem to be getting nowhere with the customer service reps. I received this email yesterday,

Dear Valued Sony Customer,

Sony records indicate that the repair of your product has been completed. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to service your product. Your unit has been repaired and tested to factory specification.

If the repair of your product was unsuccessful a Sony Representative will be contacting you to discuss suitable replacement options.

In the next few weeks you will be receiving a customer survey to help us evaluate the quality of this most recent repair experience. Your responses will remain confidential and will only use this information to improve the services it provides to its valued customers.

We look forward to receiving your feedback. Thank you in advance for your participation!

How confusing is that? The first paragraph claims my set was repaired and the next not.

I called Sony today - they claimed they had been trying to contact me. They said the number they had for me, although correct, rang to a number not in service recording. My phone has been fine, I don't believe it.

They asked me to fax a copy of my sales receipt so they could decide upon replacement "options." I don't know what that means or why they needed the receipt, the set has an 10/11 build date and is clearly still under warranty. I faxed the receipt to them.

I am tiring, but hanging in there. If I don't receive satisfaction when/if they call back it may be time to take some of the steps suggested in this forum.

#2,185 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel /forum/post/21843464

I am tiring, but hanging in there. If I don't receive satisfaction when/if they call back it may be time to take some of the steps suggested in this forum.

Well.. I called Sony yesterday and was bumped to the tier 2 support rep.

They offered to replace my 3 month old broken set with a "re-certified" set.

I asked that it be replaced with a NEW set.

They said that they would only replace the set with a new set if it was less than 30 days old.

I tried to explain that if the set was less than 30 days old, I could return it to the retailer for exchange or a refund. Broken or no. I didn't need to call them to replace it.

I asked again for a NEW replacement set.

The rep kept parroting the "Sony Policy," so I asked for his supervisor.

He repeated the policy and was starting to get annoying.

I asked it there was someone over him, he said they have an escalation path.

I asked him to please follow the escalation path, because no matter how many times he repeated the Sony policy, I was not going to accept a refurbished set in place of my new set.

I was put on hold for 20 minutes.

He came back and said there was no one available and they would call back.

The next day ... today

I called Sony after not hearing from anyone and got another tier 2 rep.

I re-explained everything to her. I told them I did not want a refurbished set of unknown age and condition in place of my new set.

I tried to explain that I expected a television set to last for years. Accepting a reconditioned set, which may work for the balance of my warranty period, who knows how old the components are in the set and why it was sent in to be refurbished to begin with.

I related a story of my car battery, which failed after 1.5 yrs of its 2 year full warranty. I was given a brand new battery with full warranty. I said that I could see accepting a refurbished unit for an out-of warranty repair, but not for in-warranty. I was patient and the rep was trying to get someone from above.

Apparently, the tier 3 reps are hard to locate. I was told that they needed to review my case and would call back.

I said I didn't understand the need to negotiate. I asked why they just didn't replace the set with a new one and be done with it. I reiterated that I hadn't a working set for over 30 days.

The rep was corporately understanding and said I would receive a call within a day (today being Friday.. who knows.)

#2,186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel /forum/post/21847886

Well.. I called Sony yesterday and was bumped to the tier 2 support rep.

They offered to replace my 3 month old broken set with a "re-certified" set.

I asked that it be replaced with a NEW set.

They said that they would only replace the set with a new set if it was less than 30 days old.

I tried to explain that if the set was less than 30 days old, I could return it to the retailer for exchange or a refund. Broken or no. I didn't need to call them to replace it.

I asked again for a NEW replacement set.

The rep kept parroting the "Sony Policy," so I asked for his supervisor.

He repeated the policy and was starting to get annoying.

I asked it there was someone over him, he said they have an escalation path.

I asked him to please follow the escalation path, because no matter how many times he repeated the Sony policy, I was not going to accept a refurbished set in place of my new set.

I was put on hold for 20 minutes.

He came back and said there was no one available and they would call back.

The next day ... today

I called Sony after not hearing from anyone and got another tier 2 rep.

I re-explained everything to her. I told them I did not want a refurbished set of unknown age and condition in place of my new set.

I tried to explain that I expected a television set to last for years. Accepting a reconditioned set, which may work for the balance of my warranty period, who knows how old the components are in the set and why it was sent in to be refurbished to begin with.

I related a story of my car battery, which failed after 1.5 yrs of its 2 year full warranty. I was given a brand new battery with full warranty. I said that I could see accepting a refurbished unit for an out-of warranty repair, but not for in-warranty. I was patient and the rep was trying to get someone from above.

Apparently, the tier 3 reps are hard to locate. I was told that they needed to review my case and would call back.

I said I didn't understand the need to negotiate. I asked why they just didn't replace the set with a new one and be done with it. I reiterated that I hadn't a working set for over 30 days.

The rep was corporately understanding and said I would receive a call within a day (today being Friday.. who knows.)

Yea, they should treat you right.. Like I said, save emails and post on facebook with your situation on SonyListens.. They are a huge company who dont want one customer to bring bad publicity especially when they have contradicting emails. Say you want a new set, that it was within the 30 day window when you started this process and it had taken them over 1 month you get this far. You have been wronged, in the end you could call up where you bought it(hopefully Amazon) and they might set you up.

The lower people cant really do anything, that is why they put you on hold to "ask someone".. You want to talk with the person they ask.. You cant go backwards unless you agree to it. If they say they dont make those sets anymore, say you want what you paid for taken off of the hx850 and pay the rest.

Also, its not about negotiating... If you get paid to handle problems, you handle them as cheap as possible.. If the person is happy when they hang up or accept what they offer, they have done their job.. These people are usually not even involved with Sony so that is why it takes them sometime to get ahold of the real Sony reps.. Double them up and wait for a call and go through SonyListens on Facebook so people can read what has happened and comment on it themselves.... Dont lie, tell the truth and make sure to let them know you have been without your main tv for _____ days. Your time wasted with it should make up for atleast a new set.

#2,187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ /forum/post/21848759

If they say they dont make those sets anymore, say you want what you paid for taken off of the hx850 and pay the rest.

Wow -- you must be psychic or have done this before. That is what happened.

Sony did call me back this afternoon. To their credit they did try to find a new 55HX820 to replace mine, but apparently there are none to be found.

They asked me to look on the Sony site to find a set I would be happy with exchanging my set. I didn't have to look - I said I wanted the equivalent or better - what about an 55HX929? Off to talk to someone - that didn't fly - I would've been surprised if it had.

Bottom line - accept an even exchange on a refurb 55HX820 or pay $300 for a new 55HX850.

The 850HX is out? Available? Yep - in the warehouse, ready to ship.

Escalated to the next tier. Explained I would be happy with them fixing my set with new parts.

Was told the parts are back-ordered with no delivery date.

Tried to talk down the $300 + tax cost of an exchange for the 55HX850, I don't see the added value over the HX820.. I was happy with the HX820.. Not budging. Take the refurb or pay to "upgrade."

I relented. Not real happy about the $300+ charge, but happier having a new set than a used one.

I don't know if his end game was a jab. The rep told me he was sorry they couldn't do better on the price, but they'd "extend" the warranty on the new set by 3 mos., so I would have a full years warranty on it.

Huh? I guess the plan was to only warrant the new set for the remainder of my old set's warranty. That was pretty brutal.

I am pretty unconcerned. Sony would have to be the crappiest company on earth and my luck the worst to get two bad sets in a row.

We'll see..

Feel a bit robbed over the money.. but glad it is over.

#2,188 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel /forum/post/21849573

Sony did call me back this afternoon. To their credit they did try to find a new 55HX820 to replace mine, but apparently there are none to be found.

They asked me to look on the Sony site to find a set I would be happy with exchanging my set. I didn't have to look - I said I wanted the equivalent or better - what about an 55HX929? Off to talk to someone - that didn't fly - I would've been surprised if it had.

Bottom line - accept an even exchange on a refurb 55HX820 or pay $300 for a new 55HX850.

Escalated to the next tier. Explained I would be happy with them fixing my set with new parts.

Tried to talk down the $300 + tax cost of an exchange for the 55HX850, I don't see the added value over the HX820.. I was happy with the HX820.. Not budging. Take the refurb or pay to "upgrade."

I relented. Not real happy about the $300+ charge, but happier having a new set than a used one.

I don't know if his end game was a jab. The rep told me he was sorry they couldn't do better on the price, but they'd "extend" the warranty on the new set by 3 mos., so I would have a full years warranty on it.

Huh? I guess the plan was to only warrant the new set for the remainder of my old set's warranty. That was pretty brutal.

I am pretty unconcerned. Sony would have to be the crappiest company on earth and my luck the worst to get two bad sets in a row.

We'll see..

Pactel: Would be great to hear your thoughts comparing the two sets PQ once you get the HX850.

Sorry for your troubles but I can tell you that you are not alone ( I've owned several TVs over the years myself). LCD/LED and precursor TV technology has been problematic for years across all models ( plasma has had its issues too). Customer complaints similar to yours are all over the Internet /forums regardless of the manufacturer.

I don't know if its just my own experience but I don't think I ever experienced technical issues with my "big old" ( tank size) CRT TVs.

For me personally, I've been taken care of by both Sony and Samsung whenever I had significant issues with the TVs I purchased from either of these manufacturers. With each situation I've had to go through their "process" and follow their respective policies & procedures ( sometimes painful)--and in some cases like you had to pay more money to end up with a proper functioning TV.

I am not sure if everyone will agree with me but in my experience I would generally recommend the following to anyone consider purchasing a new TV:

1. Do some research on the various models you are considering--know what to expect before you buy ( avs like forums and consumer comments on Amazon.com are great for this kind of research)

2. Buy from a reputable retailer with a solid return/exchange policy( not from the manufacturer directly). Reputable retailers seem to have a better return/exchange policy to include immediate exchange options without having to go through the manufacturer's customer service escalation process.

3. Go over every square inch of your new TV with a fine-toothed comb the first week or two of purchase. Ignore what some people call a "burn in" period.

4. BUY the extended service plan--I've had problems with almost all my newer expensive TVs during and after the initial warranty period. TV repairs can be VERY expensive E.g., LCD panel replacement for my three year old 46" Samsung LCD was $1400 ( I didn't have to pay this)

5. Shop around for the best service plan. I know its painful to spend even more on a service plan after just forking over big bucks for the TV. You don't have to purchase the service plan from the same retailer you purchased the TV from( thats probably the most expensive plan). But if you do decide to purchase the plan from the retailer then negotiate the price, particularly if you are willing to purchase the plan at the same time you purchase the TV. In the past BB and the Sony Store offered me excellent service plan "deals" like 50% off or for free if I purchased the plan when I purchased the TV. If not, then shop around--even check with the manufacturer's website directly--in most cases you don't have to purchase a service plan right away.

6. If you do get stuck with some serious issues that can't be resolved through the retailer, warranty or service plan--then call the manufacturer--polite reasonable persistence has always worked for me. But be prepared to patiently go through the manufacturers process--which as you now know can be lengthy and arduous.

#2,189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel /forum/post/0

Well - if you've been following along, the first power supply board (I learned this is called the G6 board) failed to repair my set which blinks its standby light twice pauses and repeats.

I was away all last week, so was unconcerned with the set repair. While away I received an email on Mar. 20th from Sony;

"Dear Valued Sony Customer

This message is to inform you we have placed a part(s) on backorder for your repair request.."

Great.. back ordered again. How long was this going to take? Not long apparently. Because on Mar. 22nd I received this email from Precision Television;

"Hello,

We are happy to inform you that we have received the parts necessary to repair your television."

A few phone calls later and I had an appointment for a tech to come and replace the board for today Mar. 27th.

The repairman arrives.. finally going to have a working set!

The second G6 power supply replacement board produced the same result as the first. Dead Sony. The repair tech had no idea - a call was made to Sony by him.

"I replaced the power supply board and the set is dead, no standby light, but when I put the old board back in the set displays the two blink error code"

"Did you replace the G6 and G7 boards."

"No - just the G6"

"They both have to be replaced at the same time"

Apparently the board above the main power supply board also provides power functionality, but who can say for sure.

The guy on the other end of the line, from Sony, decided that enough was enough and said they would call me in a few days to replace my set.

We'll see.. I don't think I want a refurbished set to replace my 3 month old broken set. At this point I am at a loss and wish I could just take it back to Fry's for a refund.

It's not over yet..

I wish I had replied sooner regarding your situation. I had a few questionable issues with my 55HX820 (search for my posts), and even though the clouding was an oversight on my part (not having LED Dynamic Control enabled on my PS3 input, and why Sony didn't set these options to standard from the factory, I have no idea), Sony offered to buy my TV back. I paid $1,755 for it, so I guess since they were selling it for $2,200 at the time, then it was a decent deal for them. Once I solved the issues through the feedback of others (thank you to all who replied), I decided to keep the set since I paid cash and didn't have another $2K to plop down while waiting up to six weeks for my refund to arrive.

Sony was really cool to offer me a buyback option. Because of their tremendous efforts to satisfy my needs and keep me as a customer, I will continue to stick with their televisions in the future.

But let me tell ya, it was a long and arduous process to get that buyback offer.

#2,190 ·
Strange since I called the Sony store yesterday and they checked and was told the 4/2 availability date has been pushed back to 4/16 now!!!

Want my HX 850 badly

Quote:

#2,192 ·

Quote:

We'll see..

Thats about how far they woulda gone.. Maybe got some Sony products to "test" out the 3d or something but it sounds fair to me... These new hx850s should be leaps better than last years.. Also you are getting it directly from Sony so I would think your in the clear.. Your makin me jealous, the 850 gots a ton of improvements over the 820. Tell everyone on here how it is and everything when you get it..

Also, you did a good job haggling it sounds like... Most people get depressed or tired of the games those customer reps play and give up.. You made them make you happy which you wont get from most companies these days so Kudos to you and Kudos to Sony

#2,193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.rudolf /forum/post/0

Does anyone here know how long the exchange process takes I was approved for an exchange for a new set on 3/24 and the set hasn't shipped yet and Sony really doesnt have a timetable they orginally said 5/10 days now they say 3/4 weeks

Since they have to pick up your TV first and receive it before shipping the replacement, then yes it'll take probably four weeks.

#2,195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ /forum/post/21854742

Two different models.. 46 and 55.. 46 comes out 4-2 like he said and the 55 comes out 4-16 like the Sony rep said.

This was a very fair deal giving you the choice of a free refurb replacement (standard procedure) or for a small amount of $$$ a new model. You were an excellent negotiator, too!

#2,197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.rudolf /forum/post/21855252

Dacuse they claim to be replacing tv at time of pickup does that seem normal

If it were the same model, they might have used white glove delivery meaning they would unpack your new TV and re-pack the defective one back into the new TV's box. Since the model is different, the insets are different but you might want to ask Sony.

#2,199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.rudolf /forum/post/21855294

Its the same model they have a few left its a 46 nx720 sorry for posting in this forum but this one is a little more active

Ask Sonylistens' Sarah Kepler on Facebook if you could get white glove delivery. Send her a message don't post it on her wall, my suggestion.

#2,203 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCuse /forum/post/21857539

Well in your case they're doing a swap so they may deliver your new TV at the same time they take bad one. In my case it was a cash refund.

They usually do white glove delivery, taking your defective unit off the stand, unpacking your new TV, assembling the TV stand and placing it where you want it. They then pack up your defective TV in the new box that your replacement came in. I've had this done several years ago and it took about 10-15 minutes.

#2,204 ·
CNET reviewed the new 2012 HX750 ( first of the 2012 models so far)

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...es#reviewPage1

Get's dinged for poor black levels, praised for color accuracy:

"Black luminance (0%) 0.02671 Poor "

"Color accuracy: The colors on the HX750 are some of the best we've seen on an LCD for some time."

#2,205 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 /forum/post/21861617

CNET reviewed the new 2012 HX750 ( first of the 2012 models so far)

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...es#reviewPage1

Get's dinged for poor black levels, praised for color accuracy:
"Thinking about this TV causes my shoulders to involuntarily shrug, and wonder whether the step-up HX850 can go some way to restore the level of quality the company achieved last year. "

I hope so or that's money down the drain.

I received an e-mail from Sony confirming the swap of my HX820 for an HX850.

They say it'll be two weeks after I get an email confirming shipment.

Looks like this is gonna take a while.

#2,206 ·
Where do I find a documentation that says which resolution video files this tv can reproduce?? I am having problems playing a 2:41 mkv file... It does play 2:35 files but the 2:41 mkv file stretches out to the whole screen, leaving people with enlongated faces.... So i have to use the WIDE mode so they can look ok again... but still I lose a lot of image, ya know??? I don't know if it's the bluray S580, either.

I remember seeing this documentation around, but I don't know where to find it. It shows all resolutions the display, or blu-ray is capable of playing. When it doesn't, it simply fills out the screen with the whole image, i think.

can i say the NAME of the release so you guys can test it too? If i can't, someone ask me through PM...

Thanks for any help, guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.