AVS Forum banner
2M views 6K replies 1K participants last post by  Jackie78 
#1 ·
The BD550/BD570 are hitting stores now (2/23/2010), and hopefully the BD590 in a few weeks. Please post any impressions here.

What all three models feature:

VuDu (Previously a BD390 exclusive)

Netflix (Updated Version of Software which now includes Genres and Categories)

Pandora (NEW to this years model!)

CinemaNow

YouTube

Picasa Web Albums

AccuWeather

All Internally decode TrueHD and DTS MA (Lossless)

All Profile 2.0 out of the box

What they don't Feature (as of right now; unknown if ever):

3D Unknown if any of these players will be upgradeable via Firmware to 3D capable. LG ha snot said either way.

5.1/7.1 Analog Outs (the now discontinued BD390 does, however)

Individual Specs

BD550 (Now Available!)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) # NetCast™ Entertainment Access (Wi-Fi Ready)*

# Blu-ray and DVD Disc Playback

# Standard DVD Up-Scaling

# Superior Audio Performance

# Express Reaction Startup

# USB 2.0 Media Host

# SimpLink

BD570 (Now Available!)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) # Integrated WiFi Connectivity

# NetCast™ Entertainment Access (Wi-Fi Ready)*

# Home Link

# Standard DVD Up-Scaling

# USB 2.0 Media Host

# SimpLink

BD590 (Now Available!)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) # Media Library (Built-in 250GB Harddrive)
# Integrated WiFi Connectivity

# NetCast™ Entertainment Access (Wi-Fi Ready)*

# Home Link

# USB 2.0 Media Host

# SimpLink

(Work in Progress)

See less See more
#6,108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond /forum/post/21726349

Just got the new model BP320. I have the BD390 and wanted a newer unit with the smart TV apps (I need amazon). Was about to order the BD670 when I noticed the newer units were out. I did not need 3D so I got the BP320 instead of the BP620. I have not plugged it in yet, but man this model cheaply constructed compared to my older BD390. Tiny 1/3 size remote, cheap buttons on front of unit. Don't want this unit or remote in my family room.

Oh well, back to amazon with this latest gen unit. Now to decided between BD670 and BP620.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andjayik /forum/post/21726534

i got sick and tired of the player not playin certain files and hd audio, and got the pivos media player that will handle all hd audio and any file u through at it for 100$

How any of this is relevant to this forum is beyond me. Also, let's aim for correct capitalization, grammar and spelling please.

#6,109 ·
gave up with this unit get a good media player like pivos and play anything plus hd audio!!!!

#6,112 ·
It's a new update. Firmware Version : H80603. http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-BD550#

I downloaded it this morning on my 550. A very quick download and update. Don't know what's in it. But I've never had any problems with previous updates. I'm watching Thor on it now and everything is fine. No new apps in Netcast and Settings appear the same. Must be all under the hood stability issue fixes.

#6,114 ·
Hi All,

Is it possible to remotely (over a network) access an external drive that is connected to the BD570's USB? I have been trying to figure a way to transfer video files from my PC to the BD570 in this way, rather than have to disconnect the drive from the BD570 and take it with cables upstairs to connect to my PC.

I am currently streaming the files to the BD570 but this has issues and I thought it would be great (if possible) to be able to transfer the files and then play them directly from the external drive.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ken

#6,116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDmiX /forum/post/0

Hi All,

Is it possible to remotely (over a network) access an external drive that is connected to the BD570's USB? I have been trying to figure a way to transfer video files from my PC to the BD570 in this way, rather than have to disconnect the drive from the BD570 and take it with cables upstairs to connect to my PC.

I am currently streaming the files to the BD570 but this has issues and I thought it would be great (if possible) to be able to transfer the files and then play them directly from the external drive.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ken

The player is not designed to expose the USB devices over the network, if you want that functionality, you need the BD590 or BD690 with built in hard drives which I understand are exposed over the network to update.

What are the issues you are having streaming? Are you using Wi-fi?

#6,117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDmiX /forum/post/21817809

rather than have to disconnect the drive from the BD570 and take it with cables upstairs to connect to my PC.

Try using a USB flash drive rather than a separate drive you have to lug and power up. The only logjam is copying to such drives relatively slow. I've found the "Rage XT" series faster than several other brands.

#6,119 ·
I just updated to the latest firmware and now the player shuts off randomly while watching mkv files on the network. That and Pandora are all I use it for.

Edit: Thinking it must be a hardware failure. Same model player with same firmware in another room plays the same files without a hiccup. I guess it's time to replace it with a Pivos AIOS.

#6,120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/21827292

You need a new drive...

Thanks for your reply Splicer. I went to buy a blue ray cleaning disk, and they wanted $20, and I think I read that it didn't help someone else with my problem, so I opted to just order a new Blu ray player from Amazon..

NOT an LG! Geesh! Died after 2 years... Got a SONY with pretty good ratings, and very few negs from Amazon... $112 shipped

Thanks!

#6,121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic /forum/post/21825528

The player is not designed to expose the USB devices over the network, if you want that functionality, you need the BD590 or BD690 with built in hard drives which I understand are exposed over the network to update.

What are the issues you are having streaming? Are you using Wi-fi?

Hi Vampidemic,

Thanks for your reply. I just purchased a Rocketfish powerline adapter which, for the most part, fixed my freezing and sputtering issues while streaming.

WarrenVO,

As for the idea of using a flash drive, that is definitely better than moving my USB drive back and forth.

Ken

#6,125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/21844676

?????????????Why would you update????????????????? If you can come here to complain, then you should know enough to check the thread and to KEEP FW 323....

Good point. My sister rented "Jack and Jill" the player, I believe thru the movie requested an update. And she clicked yes.

I don't know if the movie would have played or not without the upgrade. But sadly I wasn't there :-(

#6,127 ·
Is anyone else able to play Game of Thrones (Blu-ray - USA)??

Will any of the old firmware version play it?? If so, which one.

I'm so fed up with this POS product. It's been nothing but a pain in my ASS. But I'm past the 1 year warranty so LG doesn't give a hoot...

All I wanted to do this weekend is watch the 1st season of Game of Thrones... is that too much to ask!?!?

#6,130 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by viepOli /forum/post/21905261

Hello..

How can I watch youtube videos online on my DVD LG BD550?

The icon don't appear, I can just see on the menu, Setup, Disc, Music, Photo..

I'm assuming you have a U.S. model, not sure about international versions, and that your firmware version is somewhat updated. YouTube is in the Netcast menu. From page 45 of the owner's manual:

You can use various content services via

Internet with the NetCast Entertainment

Access feature.

1. Check the network connection and settings

(pages 20-22).

2. Press HOME

3. Select the [NetCast] using , and press

ENTER

4. Select an option using , and press

ENTER ( ).

#6,131 ·
Strange,

I updated a couple of weeks ago and Netflex appears to be working fine for me. Watched Numbers the other night. Does anyone know if the issue is tied to specify videos?

I will note that there is only one firmware load I ever had issues with and it was the load that introduced the occasional momentary hiccup when switching between chapters on a DVD.

I will also note that I have an LG tv with my HDMI cable going to it and the optical audio cable from the tv to my receiver/amplifier. Perhaps having an LG Tv has mitigated some of the past issues, as I never had any lip syncing problems or , as I mentioned above, almost any others.

#6,132 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrait001 /forum/post/21905628

I'm assuming you have a U.S. model, not sure about international versions, and that your firmware version is somewhat updated. YouTube is in the Netcast menu. From page 45 of the owner's manual:

You can use various content services via

Internet with the NetCast Entertainment

Access feature.

1. Check the network connection and settings

(pages 20-22).

2. Press HOME

3. Select the [NetCast] using , and press

ENTER

4. Select an option using , and press

ENTER ( ).

Thanks but, look the pic

I don't see the NetCast icon... the network connection setting is good.

I updated the DVD soft 3 days ago.

Is this the version?

Main Ver: BD5.242.00

thanks...