AVS Forum banner

Cylindrical A-Lens Owner's Thread

107K views 695 replies 61 participants last post by  psyduck103 
#1 · (Edited)
It's time to start a thread that encompasses all of these type of lenses. Though there have been threads in the past that have been devoted to the Isco 3L or Schneider 1.33 lenses, I think now is the time to start a new expanded thread to include all commercially available Cylindrical Anamorphic Lenses. Hopefully this can be a source of reference to all present and future owner's of these lens.

At the present time these are the lenses available and that make up this group.

Cavx MK4, MK5(Xeitoptics CM-5E), Isco 3s, Isco 3L, Prismasonic HD6000, 1.33X, Schneider 1.33X M, Schneider 1.33X XL. The Isco 3s/Schneider 1.33X M and Isco 3L/Schneider 1.33X XL are identical except for the body. Prismasonic HD-6000. Panamorph has the projector specific DCR-S1, S2 and J1 and well as the flagship Paladin DCR’s for 16x9 and 17x9 projectors.

The current mounts for the Isco lenses are the Tech Ht mounts which include the Cineslide/MultiStand 2 automated lens sled/lens mount system. A Tabletop mount/MultiStand 2 is also available for stationary lens mounting. These work for the Schneider lenses as well. Schneider also has their own lens mount systems available from their dealer network. Currently they have the Kino-Linear slide system, which is being discontinued, and the Kino-Torsion swing system. All of these systems have pitch, yaw and roll adjustments for precise lens alignment. The Cavx Mk4 comes with a stationary mount but should be able to be mounted to a Cineslide or Panamorph sled system.

The advantage of the cylindrical lens is that it works like a traditional camera lens. With the adjustable focus element, you have the ability to have perfect focus from edge to edge, top to bottom, side to side. Artifacts such as Astigmatism and Chromatic Aberration are a non-issue with these type of lenses. Essentially the image enters and leaves untouched with the exception of two things, it's horizontally expanded by 33% and there is a very slight amount of pincushion. Light loss from the lens is small and alleviated by the corresponding gain due to the increased pixel count of 33%.

Unfortunately, these lenses aren't readily available for viewing. Not to many dealers have these or any A-Lens available to demo. Hopefully this will be a place for those contemplating a purchase can go for reference, to ask questions or to be reassured as these lenses are very expensive, though worth every penny, in my opinion.

See less See more
#585 ·
OK, last one, got to get back to work. Heres one of the very first CineSlides with your lens on it. It still looks basically the same, but the current Cineslide is very different from this old one:

That mount was an experiment, I stopped making it though. That photo is actually the CineSlide sitting on a table, photo turned upside down

#586 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray /forum/post/0

OK, last one, got to get back to work. Heres one of the very first CineSlides with your lens on it:

That mount was an experiment, I stopped making it though. That photo is actually the CineSlide sitting on a table, photo turned upside down

Thats the winning shot
. I'm glad that my lens work will with your sled and others too.

When you get some more time you should show other lenses with your product Scott.

#588 ·
This thread or was there a specific link I can't see?

#590 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda /forum/post/20741292

Just the thread. Nothing like a good rehashing.

Hmm so long no one mentions the
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) AUSSIEMORPHIC LENS
or that other
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Australian Made A-Lens

So how is your ISCO going anyway?

#591 ·
Yes isn't that interesting. Definitely one of my better purchase, Mark. Except for the constant reminder from the better half of how much I paid it. "It's just a piece of glass". Lol. At least she can't deny the performance. Truly worth ever penny to me. And have you priced diamonds lately. Nuff said.

#592 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda /forum/post/20752412

And have you priced diamonds lately. Nuff said.

Yeah I did before I got married in May and the lens was a more cost effective alternative
Lucky for me, my wife loves the lens and what it does for the image in our cinema.

#593 ·
Anyone know if the ISco IIIL will work with the Benq W7000 (identical to w6000) in physical layout? Max zoom and throw is 1.5

Thanks

#594 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHomeTheater /forum/post/21459094

Anyone know if the ISco IIIL will work with the Benq W7000 (identical to w6000) in physical layout? Max zoom and throw is 1.5

Thanks

If it is the same as the W6000, then yes it will. My optics are the same size as those used in an ISCO III and I can use the full zoom without vignetting.

#596 ·
Ha, nothing wrong with that. At least she wants to watch the movie. I learned at a GTG that many guys' wives (partners etc) won't join them because they see it as the guys hobby and don't want to intrude. your lucky your wife (like mine) wants to share the experience.

#599 ·
That is impressive. For some reason, I though he had turned anti A-Lens, but to use 2 x ISCO 1.25 units, clearly not

#600 ·
Hi Mark. So had I but he discusses in detail on another couple threads about the $15k Isco cinemaDLP 1.25 A Lens and the superiority of it when he compares it to the Isco III. From bouncing around and reading his posts it sounds like his complaint with the distortion which he demonstrates is what we call pincushion. If I understand him right he says the 1.25 doesnt have pincushion and focus is prefect at the extreme edges as well. Is this a fully geometrically corrected lens? Getgray can comment here but he stated both have the identicle glass. Maybe Mayer is seeing the distortion because his new projector's need the 1.25x lens due to the 1.896 AR. Remember these are 17:9 projectors unless run at 2160x3840.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.