AVS Forum banner

Channel Master TV CM 7400 HD DVR - OTA, Clear QAM, Internet Content

242K views 2K replies 149 participants last post by  NoTheYellowCable 
#1 ·
Tired of Paying for Cable? Channel Master Offers a New Subscription Free HDTV Solution

Channel Master TV eliminates monthly fees by combining free live HDTV with streaming web content and a subscription free DVR.

TEMPE, Ariz., Sep 13, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Channel Master has developed Channel Master TV(TM), the most advanced subscription free HDTV solution available. Channel Master TV enables free over-the-air HD broadcasts while adding full DVR functionality including the ability to pause, rewind and record live TV. Channel Master TV also allows users to store and manage personal media content, plus access OTT (over the top TV) web content through VUDU(TM), delivering On Demand Movies and TV shows and more right to the TV.

Consumers think they need a cable provider to enjoy HDTV, most are unaware the highest quality HDTV is available over the air for free. Channel Master TV gives users access to free, live, over-the-air broadcasts via an antenna (purchased separately). As a subscriber of basic cable or satellite, you pay a monthly subscription fee for major network broadcasts including ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and other cable-only provided channels. Based on regionality, Channel Master TV allows you to watch these channels on your digital or analog TV without monthly fees. In most major networks this amounts to more than 30 free stations.

Channel Master TV has also integrated DVR functionality that allows you to pause, rewind, and record live TV. With service providers (like cable or satellite), or TiVo(R), you pay for this functionality. With Channel Master TV, you have all the same integrated DVR functionality without paying monthly fees. The Channel Master TV has a 320GB HDD; storage hours vary based on the format of the content but are estimated at up to 35 hours of HD recording and up to 150 hours of SD recording. Users can also schedule recordings and watch one program while recording another. The onscreen Electronic Program Guide (EPG) with Picture in Guide offers search features and parental control settings.

"This is a one-of-a-kind solution," stated Channel Master VP of Marketing Joe Bingochea. "No device today offers integrated web content, free broadcast TV and DVR without a monthly subscription."

While 90% of American households have some form of subscription television service, many of them are not happy with their pay TV service. The prevalence of DVR usage shows that consumers don't adhere to broadcast schedules. They are ready to move from a linear/live TV to an all on demand solution ensuring they get to choose their content whenever they want to watch it.

"The average pay TV subscriber in the US pays approximately $74 per month," added Bingochea. "Consumers are often left feeling like they are paying for far more than they are getting, or even need. With Channel Master TV, consumers have the luxury of choosing what they want, when they want it."

If users already have a Broadband data plan, the transition to the Channel Master TV solution is simple since many of the parts they need are already in the home. Channel Master TV has partnered with VUDU(TM) to deliver the largest online HD movie library right to the home. In addition to day of release titles, VUDU also offers network specials and series. Through the integrated VUDU application, users gain access to a wide range of Internet services including streaming video, music-on-demand, photo browsing, social networking and much more.

Also available on Channel Master TV is a growing list of OTT content such as AC360, Mike & Mike, MTV news, Associated Press, and more. Users can even manage their personal content such as pictures and play saved videos, music and more.

"Channel Master has catered to over-the-air users for over sixty years and has learned from our customers that they do not like monthly subscriptions. We now have the best solution for the way people want to watch TV today," concluded Bingochea.

Channel Master TV has an MSRP of $399 and a full one-year warranty. It will begin shipping on November 1. For more info visit www.channelmastertv.com .

Channel Master TV will be unveiled and demoed on Wednesday, Sept. 14th, from 6:00 to 9:00 pm at the PepCom Holiday Spectacular Event at the Metropolitan Pavilion in the Chelsea district of Manhattan.

About Channel Master

Established in 1949, Channel Master has evolved from a trusted terrestrial antenna manufacturer to a leader in the production of set-top boxes, home networking accessories and digital media devices that connect consumers, businesses and service providers with a multitude of content. Access to streaming off-air HDTV channels, streaming media, movies on-demand, stored digital content, music and more is possible from Channel Master. Today, Channel Master has Channel Master TV(TM), the most advanced subscription free HDTV solution that enables consumers to access free over-the-air broadcasts with DVR functionality in addition to web delivered content and Apps all from a single user experience.

Copyright(C) 2011 PCT International. All rights reserved. Channel Master and the Channel Master TV logo are registered trademarks of PCT International, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Other names or brands may be claimed as the property of others.

SOURCE: Channel Master

See less See more
#1,406 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/21826001

The lockups are related to old software, not heat. Be sure to get the most current software asap.

Ok, I'll try that out. I did have two lock ups/reboots today while viewing the guide. Hope the update helps that issue. Overall, I am really satisfied with the functionality of the device for being subscription free. I have no problem at all using the PSIP guide. Other gripes that people have had also are a non-issue like cheapness of the feel of the device(whatever) and input delay. The unit seems to be as responsive as any other entertainment device that I own. Also, I don't have any lip-sync issues that some people have mentioned. The one minor gripe that I have is that the reception doesn't seem to be as strong as what I normally get without the DVR, so I get an occasional screen stutter or pixelation. If the 7400 proves to be reliable, otherwise, I may invest in an amplifier to try and fix that issue.

#1,407 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier /forum/post/21825155

Seems that any television models with dual RF inputs predate the DVR era...

If you're talking about standalone HD-DVR's, the LG 3410a came out sometime in the first half of 2004, and Sony was still releasing new-model TV's with both inputs at least until sometime that same year. I don't know the exact release dates of any of those items for that year, and I'm not sure if any more TV's with dual RF inputs were made after 2004.

#1,408 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/21827857

. . . I'm not sure if any more TV's with dual RF inputs were made after 2004.

At least one manufacturer (Mits) produced sets through 2009.. available into 2010.

#1,409 ·
As I am approaching 60 days of CM-7400 ownership, I am seeing a bit more flakiness as time goes on. Some of this may be simply that I have now had more time and opportunity to see some of these bugs, but another possibility is that as the hard drive fills and fragments that more issues seem to appear.

I had one recording cut off early missing the final outcome of the show I was watching. I had one recording appear 4 times for the same recording as it was recording and then remain after the show was over and showing that it was still recording on two of the four. I could not stop the recording nor delete the recordings until I rebooted. Then when I deleted one, the duplicates went with it.

I have seen occasional sluggishness in response to the remote, sometimes taking 5 or maybe even 10 seconds to respond. Sometimes it will throw the little rotating star (i.e. busy) in the center or lower right corner of the screen but usually it just delays responding. Most often this sluggishness clears up on its own after a few minutes, but sometimes a reboot is necessary.

I still see the skip-forward/skip-back bug on pretty much a daily basis, and that's starting to get a bit old as I usually have to start the show over from the beginning and fast forward to where I was to finish watching.

Because of all of this, I have started rebooting more often--at least 4 or 5 times a week just to prevent most of this. I continue to have my unit on a laptop cooler and it is running at a reasonable temperature, so that is not the cause of these issues.

I am still pretty happy with my purchase despite all of this cropping up. I sure like not paying Dish so much money each month. But I am really hoping for a firmware update soon and that it will address most of these issues. I have been faithfully reporting them to Jeff at CM and he says they are passing along my reports to the engineers.

#1,410 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcnetwrx /forum/post/21842513

I had one recording cut off early missing the final outcome of the show I was watching.

I had one recording appear 4 times for the same recording as it was recording... I could not stop the recording nor delete the recordings until I rebooted...

I have seen occasional sluggishness in response to the remote... Most often this sluggishness clears up on its own after a few minutes, but sometimes a reboot is necessary.

I still see the skip-forward/skip-back bug on pretty much a daily basis

I have been faithfully reporting them to Jeff at CM and he says they are passing along my reports to the engineers.

With the exception of your first one, I see the same problems and continue to send reports.

While most would consider these to be unacceptable problems (myself included), the ability to connect with English-speaking US-based tech support and their seeming eagerness to find solutions have kept me happy enough to keep this unit. As stated before, even with these flaws the 7400 is fulfilling it's fundamental purpose.

I believe these problems will be resolved soon. A fresh firmware update is supposedly near at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcnetwrx /forum/post/21842513

... another possibility is that as the hard drive fills and fragments that more issues seem to appear.

Surely the firmware directs these 7400's (or soon will) to periodically defrag themselves. My 12-yr-old ReplayTV 4508 does so every couple days and it's been 100% trouble-free.

Quite frankly, of all the numerous DVR's I've set up for customers the ReplayTV's have been the most reliable and easiest for most to use. I've often thought CM should pattern the 7400's GUI as much after the RTV's as possible.

#1,412 ·
Just got my antenna amplifier and hooked it up a few hours ago and my reception has improved quite a bit. Since I did the firmware update, I haven't had any crashes either. The only bug that I have noticed is the occasional lip-sync issue, but it only happens on FOX and it doesn't do it all the time. I don't watch FOX that often, so I'm not really going to worry about it that much. So, other than that, my CM7400 has been performing great. Really, the only concern I have with it is how hot it runs, and if it will cause any problems down the road, but so far no issues due to the heat. Overall, I would rate this product a 4 out of 5 as long as I don't see any of the glitches that other people have noted pop up.

#1,413 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR /forum/post/21845344

... as long as I don't see any of the glitches that other people have noted pop up.

Based on postings here and elsewhere, I'm beginning to think it's mostly folks who use 7400's to tune QAM (basic cable) channels who are having the bulk of the problems, and having them more often and to greater degree. I suspect it'll be resolvable via firmware.

#1,414 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCartwright /forum/post/21845462

Based on postings here and elsewhere, I'm beginning to think it's mostly folks who use 7400's to tune QAM (basic cable) channels who are having the bulk of the problems, and having them more often and to greater degree. I suspect it'll be resolvable via firmware.

Since it's release I have asked anyone with cable to post feedback on the unit. The results: zero.

I find that strange.

#1,415 ·
I think most people are using it for OTA antenna reception rather than cable, because that way you get more local regional channels and subchannels, and perhaps more complete program info/EPG. With clear qam, all you usually get is 1 each ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and PBS. Not much more, and perhaps no guide data.

#1,416 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21846612

I find that strange.

I don't, Joe. At this price point, without a cable card it will be of little interest to most cable subscribers. Most people who are willing to spend this much money on a DVR for cable use (and the extra yearly subscription fee for guide data) are going to want to be able to record all the channels they are paying for, not just the locals. The low end cable subscribers who would be happy with clear QAM would most probably be attracted to a low end DVD recorder (or at least they would have when they were selling for $200) that programs like a VCR.

A clear QAM tuner in the CM-7400 is superfluous, it's primarily an OTA DVR. I believe you yourself returned the CM-7400 in favor of the alternative with a cable-card slot.

#1,417 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/21847376

I don't, Joe. At this price point, without a cable card it will be of little interest to most cable subscribers. Most people who are willing to spend this much money on a DVR for cable use (and the extra yearly subscription fee for guide data) are going to want to be able to record all the channels they are paying for, not just the locals. The low end cable subscribers who would be happy with clear QAM would most probably be attracted to a low end DVD recorder (or at least they would have when they were selling for $200) that programs like a VCR.

A clear QAM tuner in the CM-7400 is superfluous, it's primarily an OTA DVR. I believe you yourself returned the CM-7400 in favor of the alternative with a cable-card slot.

Your points are well taken. But I want to verify it's not my cable feed with the problem. I get 26 vsb/analog and 140 clear QAM with a dozen in HD. I can live with the raw numbers, but the 7400 could not. Only my Tivo has a cable card. The Mag 2160A/515H and Sony DHGs don't. The PViX doesn't. The BV-980H doesn't. But all those can accept my cable feed equally, just like my two digital televisions. The Sony TV also shows which channels are scrambled. I don't channel surf, I timeshift. Channel numbers are not important. My 15 day guide is a MS Word document.

I suggested CM should drop the QAM tuner and got shot down. I just want validation that my cable feed is not unique. It seems more likely that being a cable buyer of the CM7400 is unique. If, after the next firmware update, the box works with raw clear QAM I would gladly buy another.

All cable is local.

#1,418 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21847570

I suggested CM should drop the QAM tuner and got shot down.

I'm with you on this. I don't think that Channel Master ever should have included the QAM tuner on the 7400. It's cons as a cable DVR really seem to outweigh the pros. The 7400 is the perfect OTA DVR for people that want to save money by not paying cable or subscription fees. It doesn't make much sense as a cable DVR. If you're already paying a monthly cable bill, there really isn't much benefit in owning your on DVR, because you're only going to be saving a few bucks a month and you're bound to run into issues because the 7400 isn't tailored to your cable system like the ones issued by them.

#1,419 ·
i'm always considering what will be my next DVR/setup. lots of cool options. 7400 & boxee+ATSCdongle would be at the top of my list.....

i have a CM7000 as well as moxi... very happy with the CM7000 in my primary-mancave with amped UHF YAGI...

But happier with the setup in my auxiliary-mancave with MOXI & "limited basic cable".

... gotta maintain the cable for the internet, so the limited-basic-cable is essentially no-additional-cost in that case.

the included-QAM-capability of the 7400 keeps it near/at the top of my list for my next HD-DVR ...

(sometimes I loan the various units out to friends who want to cut-the-cord or to stop renting cable boxes.)

#1,420 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli /forum/post/21854886

i'm always considering what will be my next DVR/setup. lots of cool options. 7400 & boxee+ATSCdongle would be at the top of my list.....

i have a CM7000 as well as moxi... very happy with the CM7000 in my primary-mancave with amped UHF YAGI...

But happier with the setup in my auxiliary-mancave with MOXI & "limited basic cable".

... gotta maintain the cable for the internet, so the limited-basic-cable is essentially no-additional-cost in that case.

the included-QAM-capability of the 7400 keeps it near/at the top of my list for my next HD-DVR ...

(sometimes I loan the various units out to friends who want to cut-the-cord or to stop renting cable boxes.)

I can get a "limited basic" cable also. It's supposed to be 26 vsb channels. I don't know if my cable company would block the QAM channels on such a feed. That aside, your Moxi is cable card, right? Such a feature is not available with the 7400.

When my clear raw QAM 480i digital A&E is detected as a disabled 50.1 with the 7400 and is detected as an enabled 26.1 on every other DVR, TV and DVDR, I have a problem with its QAM ability.

I am always open and happy for feedback.

#1,421 ·
I'm having a weird problem on my 7400 tonight. I can pull in every channel except for my favorite one, despite having normal reception on it usually. Also, I can get it clearly on my DVD recorder, so I know it's not the broadcast that has the problem. I tried it with and without the amp and directly connected to the antenna, but nothing. Hope it clears up soon.

#1,423 ·
Hi All--

I've had the CM7400 for a couple of weeks now and I'm generally quite pleased with it. I also use a CM7000 and I am very happy with it. Here's a brief comparison with a little local emphasis for folks in the Twin Cities area considering its purchase.

GUIDE RECORDING

The CM 7400 Premium Guide is listed as a 14 day guide in its promotional copy; it's really more of a twelve day guide as I'm receiving it. But, it is very complete and provides plenty of recording options.

My CM 7000 uses TV Guide On Screen, and here in the Twin Cities the PBS, CBS, ABC and NBC load the guide with programming details for about a week. FOX and the smaller networks (ION and the like) load up about twelve hours in advance.

RECORDING QUALITY

Excellent HD recording from both units. I've noticed that the recording of local subchannels (the ME TV network and THIS TV network) is a little more smooth in playback with the CM 7400.

TUNER SENSITIVITY

The CM 7000 tuners are definitely more sensitive and range-capable than the CM 7400. Here in the Twin Cities, our ION affiliate is in Saint Cloud, about 50 miles outside of town. MY CM 7000 picks up this signal with no trouble; the CM 7400 cannot receive or identify it.

FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO THE CM 7400

The VUDU account page is a bit awkward to navigate. To access the home page, you have to go through your general MENU each time. A blue hot button the remote will take you to VUDU movies only. The VUDU movie service seems to work fine, but make sure you've got in excess of 2meg online speed at all times, or it will start buffering.

The VUDU apps are a little sparse; mostly older news and entertainment and geeky techno content. My VUDU apps does not show PANDORA; I've asked Channel Master to assist in correcting this, but have not received a response for several days.

VERDICT

I'm generally very satisfied with the new Channel Master 7400, although the Channel Master Customer Service responses thus far leave me underwhelmed. If you're looking for a solid OTA HD-DVR with some ancillary features, it's a nice way to go.

Because it's tuners are not as sensitive as my CM7000's tuners, it will NOT replace the CM 7000 in my projector room, but will serve only as a back-up until the CM 7000 craps out and cannot be fixed.

--Mike

#1,425 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith /forum/post/21861027

Try cold reboot - unplug for a minute.

Thanks. I tried a normal reboot first, and that brought it back. The next day, all of the channels were down, and I had to reboot it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC /forum/post/21867553

The weak/problematic tuner is a major flaw of the 7400 as it does not adequately perform its basic core function of OTA antenna reception. In this regard, the prior 7000 version was the better box.

I agree about the weak tuner. Out of all the issues, this is the one that's actually making me consider a Tivo. Even with an amplifier, I still get annoying reception interruptions. I've also heard bad things about the tuner on some Tivo models, though. Has anyone had both a CM7400 and one of the current $99 Tivo Premiere models? If so, could you compare the signal strength of both?

#1,426 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR /forum/post/21868728

Thanks. I tried a normal reboot first, and that brought it back. The next day, all of the channels were down, and I had to reboot it again.

I agree about the weak tuner. Out of all the issues, this is the one that's actually making me consider a Tivo. Even with an amplifier, I still get annoying reception interruptions. I've also heard bad things about the tuner on some Tivo models, though. Has anyone had both a CM7400 and one of the current $99 Tivo Premiere models? If so, could you compare the signal strength of both?

Have you tried changing the antenna lead to rule that out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.