AVS Forum banner

LG PASSIVE LM6200 dedicated thread...

281K views 1K replies 236 participants last post by  noobtv 
#1 ·
Time for a dedicated thread. I ordered 65LM6200 few days back and waiting for delivery. Will post pictures when i get mine.

Edit: Fixed the title.

Edit: 4/8/2012 - 65LM6200 vs. 65LW6500 comparison added

Model : 65LM6200 vs. 65LW6500

Model Year: 2012 vs. 2011

Dynamic Contrast Ratio(DCR) : 6M vs. 9M

Image Contrast Ratio (ICR): ?? vs. 40K (According to Amazon;need data for 6200)

Local Dimming: Yes (confirmed by hibeta) vs. Yes

Gloss/Matte : Gloss vs. Gloss

Price(best as of today): 2800 vs. 2300

THX Mode: No vs. Yes

MCI (what is MCI anyway??): Low vs. High (according to sje3156)

Sound Mode: 7 mode vs. 5 Mode

Vesa(mount):400x400 vs. 600x400

3D Glasses Included: 6 vs. 4

Dimension(without stand): 60.6"x36.4"x1.5" vs. 61.2"x37"x1.7"

Weight (lbs without stand): 89.5 vs. 92.6

Wifi: Built-in vs. Adapter Included

Aspect Ratio: 6 Modes(extra Zoom) vs. 5 Modes

USB: 3 vs. 2

AV & Component : 1 each vs. 2 each

Remote: 3 mode Magic only (2nd genration) vs. Magic(1st gen) + Standard

Backlit: Edge LED vs. ?? (need data for 6500)

3D Dual Play capable: Yes vs. ??

Power Consumption max: 270W s 240W

Skype Ready: Yes vs. No

Web Browser: Full vs. limited ( to be confirmed)

See less See more
#4 ·
Picked mine up this past weekend...65". After lots of learning what the varied settings and adjustments do I've been able to set it up with a very good picture....from approx. 10 ft head on. However, picture degrades very rapidly from any off angle viewing. Might be better suited for seating area with greater distance. 3d effect is excellent....comes with some 'apps' demonstrating 3d and they are superb. Black levels very good from head on.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibeta /forum/post/21864710

Picked mine up this past weekend...65". After lots of learning what the varied settings and adjustments do I've been able to set it up with a very good picture....from approx. 10 ft head on. However, picture degrades very rapidly from any off angle viewing. Might be better suited for seating area with greater distance. 3d effect is excellent....comes with some 'apps' demonstrating 3d and they are superb. Black levels very good from head on.

Great, i can't wait for mine. How is the glare on this tv ? Do you know if there is THX mode?

#6 ·
I am researching for my next 55" 3D tv and decided on the LG but I am confused with the models numbers and features and years.

Can someone tell me what difference each 3D models have and which models are they from what year.

I just know of LW5600 from 2011

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMeADeal /forum/post/21865963

Great, i can't wait for mine. How is the glare on this tv ? Do you know if there is THX mode?

It does have a glassy screen so does show reflections. Fortunately it's in a room that is well controlled for lighting so it is not a problem for me. As to THX, I was looking for a mode but so far have not found it, if it exists.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 /forum/post/21866266

I am researching for my next 55" 3D tv and decided on the LG but I am confused with the models numbers and features and years.

Can someone tell me what difference each 3D models have and which models are they from what year.

I just know of LW5600 from 2011

Here is all the 2012 models which have a 55 inch tv...

Series

LM9600

LM8600

LM7600

LM6700

G2

LM6200

LS5700

LS4600

Amazon has a good side by side comparison of all 2012 LG models - search for 55lm6200 and scroll down all the way to see it.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibeta /forum/post/21868775

It does have a glassy screen so does show reflections. Fortunately it's in a room that is well controlled for lighting so it is not a problem for me. As to THX, I was looking for a mode but so far have not found it, if it exists.

Thanks. Mine is a well lit room and i am not sure how much it is going to bother me. I am upgrading from 2005 panasonic plasma and not sure what to expect. Oh well, my tv is in transit and will know in a week time.

Can you please post your settings /adjustments?

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibeta /forum/post/0

Lol THX is not a mode, it is a rating system and a marketing tool for tools with more money then brains. It has to do with how you set up your equipment. Notice most theatres gave up on THX along time ago because you had to pay a 1200 a yr fee per screen and they would come out and make sure your sound system was set up to reflect properly for Dolby Digital surround sound.

So basically any THX branded home equipment has been tested by Lucas THX division and yes it usually has to be a good quality product but im sure it has way more to do with the licensing fee to use the THX logo then anything else.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 /forum/post/21869079

Lol THX is not a mode, it is a rating system and a marketing tool for tools with more money then brains. It has to do with how you set up your equipment. Notice most theatres gave up on THX along time ago because you had to pay a 1200 a yr fee and they would come out and make sure your sound system was set up to reflect properly for Dolby Digital surround sound.

Your point is well taken. However, there were/are, in fact, tv's that have a thx "mode"....marketing hype aside. I just don't yet know if this is one of them.

#12 ·

Quote:

Your point is well taken. However, there were/are, in fact, tv's that have a thx "mode"....marketing hype aside. I just don't yet know if this is one of them.

I believe the mode your speaking of is the diagram that shows you how to set up your speakers and allows testing to ensure your sound system is set up correctly, also note that I did edit my original post. However your choice in LG already shows you know quality.

#13 ·

Quote:

Ok. Curiosity got the best of me. From the THX website:

THX Certified Displays: (left to right) LG LE9500 LED LCD, Panasonic TCP65VT25 Plasma

In the studio, every shadow, color and detail is carefully adjusted to deliver the right mood and impact. Only THX Certified plasmas, LCDs and projectors, featuring THX Movie Mode, let you recreate this experience at home with the push of a button.

Lol like I said, nothing more than a marketing tool.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMeADeal /forum/post/21869049

Here is all the 2012 models which have a 55 inch tv...

Series

LM9600

LM8600

LM7600

LM6700

G2

LM6200

LS5700

LS4600

Amazon has a good side by side comparison of all 2012 LG models - search for 55lm6200 and scroll down all the way to see it.

Looks like the 55LM6200 has all that I need. Is that amazon price the best price out there for this model.

The other contender would be last years model 55LW5600.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 /forum/post/0

Looks like the 55LM6200 has all that I need. Is that amazon price the best price out there for this model.

The other contender would be last years model 55LW5600.

No, you can do better. Try Paulstv for ~20% cheaper + extra 3d glasses bundle. The advantage with Amazon is their return policy and CS.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 /forum/post/21869106

I believe the mode your speaking of is the diagram that shows you how to set up your speakers and allows testing to ensure your sound system is set up correctly, also note that I did edit my original post. However your choice in LG already shows you know quality.

I own a 55lw6500 and there is a THX mode, its differant settings u can switch between for bright room, dark room and some other settings. You need a harmony remote to access the service mode settings. If you have a android device then there is an app for LG to access the service settings menu for THX mode. So to answer your question and to correct the guy that lol you on a very legit question there is a THX model not sure about the lm6200 but as for the lw5600 and the lw6500 it does.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sje3156 /forum/post/21876216

I own a 55lw6500 and there is a THX mode, its differant settings u can switch between for bright room, dark room and some other settings. You need a harmony remote to access the service mode settings. If you have a android device then there is an app for LG to access the service settings menu for THX mode. So to answer your question and to correct the guy that lol you on a very legit question there is a THX model not sure about the lm6200 but as for the lw5600 and the lw6500 it does.

Thank you. Folks like you make this forum richer.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibeta /forum/post/21877590

Oh, I completely agree. Just posted that because someone earlier had expressed an interest in knowing. Time to move on from that issue.

Hummmmm funny cause I'm looking at my THX mode right now on mine. You cannot access this unless you have a service remote, the service menu is for techs only and isn't ment for the consumer to mess with, it can void the warranty. Idk what wrong with your TV but with a SERVICE REMOTE u CAN enter it. True the thx settings aren't all that great they are to dark for my taste as well but they are there.

#23 ·
Yes you are correct. But the whole reason I kept posting about this is because you laughed at a guy that asked a legit question and answered it like there was no such thing as thx mode and it was something used ONLY to rate things. The guy asked a good question and for you to laugh at him like he was stupid for not knowing shows who you are. I wanted to show that you had no idea either because it isn't just a rating it is in fact a setting with in the TV the lw6500. Maybe not in the lm6200 ( sorry u got the lm6200 but that's no need to get angry cause it doesn't have the mode) but it is a setting not just a rating system. And the reason its not made to be accessed by the consumer is because it is to be used for calibration by a certified tech so if u are not a certified tech and go into it and mess up ur TV then it will void ur warranty it gives u the ability to a alot of things that could brick ur TV. Case and point.....we can move on in the thread. LG IS THE BEST :)

#25 ·
I just see it to many times, a person comes onto a thread has a simple legit question and gets laughed at. It makes people not want to come back and ask a ques afraid that it will be laughed at afraid it will be a stupid ques. A simple no with explanation to the guy would have been fine minus the lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.