AVS Forum banner

Help in setting the dB for my center speaker.

37K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  jdcrox 
#1 ·
I have the JAMO S608 5.0 speaker setup along with a jamo sub 250 and ONKYO TX308 AVR.

I wanted to ask , what the safest highest speaker level for my center speaker ? Currently it's at +5dB , and have all speakers to small and 80hz crossover , and my surrounds at +4dB and fronts 0dB , with +2db bass tone and +4db treble tone .

#2 ·
If you are worried about it what you could do is pick a number: lets say 4db and drop every channel by 4 db and then you definitely won't have anything to worry about.

So do your Front L&R at -4db your surrounds at 0db and if you want just make your center be +2db. The bass tone is a boost at 50hz and since your xover is 80hz it applying the boost to your sub only so that should be fine. The treble is a boost at 20khz and boosting it by 4 should be fine. This is one of the down sides to a base model receiver. A receiver with Audyssey would provide much better results and you wouldn't have to do nearly as much tweaking.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl /forum/post/21866039

I have the JAMO S608 5.0 speaker setup along with a jamo sub 250 and ONKYO TX308 AVR.

I wanted to ask , what the safest highest speaker level for my center speaker ? Currently it's at +5dB , and have all speakers to small and 80hz crossover , and my surrounds at +4dB and fronts 0dB , with +2db bass tone and +4db treble tone .

Are you using a SPL meter to arrive at these levels? If not I highly recommend it.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/21866061

If you are worried about it what you could do is pick a number: lets say 4db and drop every channel by 4 db and then you definitely won't have anything to worry about.

So do your Front L&R at -4db your surrounds at 0db and if you want just make your center be +2db. The bass tone is a boost at 50hz and since your xover is 80hz it applying the boost to your sub only so that should be fine. The treble is a boost at 20khz and boosting it by 4 should be fine. This is one of the down sides to a base model receiver. A receiver with Audyssey would provide much better results and you wouldn't have to do nearly as much tweaking.

But if i put my fronts to -4dB , they wont be loud :O i normally listen at 40 volume from the AVR.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/21866069

Are you using a SPL meter to arrive at these levels? If not I highly recommend it.

The only spl meter i currently have is on my htc. I set it to slow response .

What dB should i set all my speakers to from the spl meter ? i mean what should i put the volume on the AVR while testing the test tones ? My receiver is not with the - / + dB volume. Its from 0 to 70.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl /forum/post/0

The only spl meter i currently have is on my htc. I set it to slow response .

What dB should i set all my speakers to from the spl meter ? i mean what should i put the volume on the AVR while testing the test tones ? My receiver is not with the - / + dB volume. Its from 0 to 70.

Doesn't your receiver have self calibration? If it does, use it first. Then you can VERIFY result with SPL meter.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/21866162

Doesn't your receiver have self calibration? If it does, use it first. Then you can VERIFY result with SPL meter.

No it does not have an auto calibratio. Ive tested each speaker correctly with the spl meter , and now the sound is amazingly dynamic and smooth , even the surrounds and dialogue volume from the center speaker. And the bass is also very very smooth !!

left -1 dB

center +2dB

right -1dB

sr - +2dB

sl - +4dB

subwoofer - +5dB

Treble tone +4dB

Bass tone +2dB

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl /forum/post/0

No it does not have an auto calibratio. Ive tested each speaker correctly with the spl meter , and now the sound is amazingly dynamic and smooth , even the surrounds and dialogue volume from the center speaker. And the bass is also very very smooth !!

left -1 dB

center +2dB

right -1dB

sr - +2dB

sl - +4dB

subwoofer - +5dB

Treble tone +4dB

Bass tone +2dB

Good deal, but I wouldn't rely on using an app on your phone, especially since the app was never calibrated (we probably use the same app - I have a Galaxy Nexus). A SPL meter can be purchased at radio shack and will be the best fifty bucks you spend on your audio system. Get the digital one.

I am happy the sound is more coherent now, though. Sweet!

#9 ·
Oops I forgot to answer your question. Use the internal test tone built into the receiver to set each speaker to 75dB. The volume level on the receiver knob shouldn't make a difference unless its a super old unit, so just leave it where it's at.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/21869265

Oops I forgot to answer your question. Use the internal test tone built into the receiver to set each speaker to 75dB. The volume level on the receiver knob shouldn't make a difference unless its a super old unit, so just leave it where it's at.

Can you give me instructions how to do the calibration with SPL meter?

I'm using Polk Audio Monitor40 for fronts, Monitor30 for surrounds and CS2 for center and energy S10.3 sub. Receiver I have is Sony STR-DN1000. I did the auto calibration with receiver but I don't think the results are very good. example, Polk Audio ask to set these speakers small but receiver calibration set these as large speaker.

I would like to do manual calibration with SPL meter. and should I get digital SPL meter from radio shack.

Thanks for help!!

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHT /forum/post/0

Can you give me instructions how to do the calibration with SPL meter?

I'm using Polk Audio Monitor40 for fronts, Monitor30 for surrounds and CS2 for center and energy S10.3 sub. Receiver I have is Sony STR-DN1000. I did the auto calibration with receiver but I don't think the results are very good. example, Polk Audio ask to set these speakers small but receiver calibration set these as large speaker.

I would like to do manual calibration with SPL meter. and should I get digital SPL meter from radio shack.

Thanks for help!!

To complete the manual calibration you will need to pick up an SPL meter from RadioShack. Once you have done that, come back here and let us know so we can assist you with the calibration process.

#12 ·
the analog one is discontinued at RS, and they blew the last ones out at a great price, and I'd be shocked if you found one (Get it if you do, though it should ring up less than $30). So yes... get the digital one.

I'll bet you're pretty close, though, because that crappy app is at least consistently crappy... so it should be off similarly in all but the sub channel... that'll take a better measuring tool. No tiny 'smartphone' microphone is going to be very accurate at lower, home theater level frequencies.

Joseph

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/21882538

To complete the manual calibration you will need to pick up an SPL meter from RadioShack. Once you have done that, come back here and let us know so we can assist you with the calibration process.

yup, got the SPL meter from Radio shack..now I need instructions to do calibration

Thanks for your help!

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/21866415

A SPL meter can be purchased at radio shack and will be the best fifty bucks you spend on your audio system. Get the digital one.

+ A million...

I didnt realize how out of whack my system was till I spent the 50 bucks the same one your talking about. Between that and the acoustical panels I will be getting in a week or two, it will be far better (for me anyways) than dropping big money on different speakers.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/21885372

Good link - that'll do it.

Hey Quick qns..what should be master volume on receiver?

I'm using the SONY STR-DN1000 receiver. It does have a test tone generator for setting speaker levels (db) but this is correlated to the master volume (i.e. turning the master volume up/down adjust the pink noise SPL)

My receiver have absolute scale for volume, such as "0" (minimum) to "99" and "max." So what should be volume knob on receiver should set to??

I will replace this with Denon 2013 line up with audessy setup but now I need to calibrate this thing.

#18 ·
Hi this is robin i bought new sony blu ray home theater system bdv E290 i want to set the exact volume level for all the speakers . i dont have auto speaker calibration setup .In manual calibration the volume level +- 6db for all the speakers.i dont know how to use spl meter.kindly send me the exact speaker level volume for each speaker in db.

#20 ·
Hi this is robin i bought new sony blu ray home theater system bdv E290 2 months before they came for installation also but still iam not satisfied i want to set the exact volume level for all the speakers . i dont have auto speaker calibration setup .In manual calibration the volume level +- 6db for all the speakers.i dont know how to use spl meter.kindly send me the exact speaker level volume for each speaker in db.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinst  /t/1403671/help-in-setting-the-db-for-my-center-speaker#post_23641893

Hi this is robin i bought new sony blu ray home theater system bdv E290 2 months before they came for installation also but still iam not satisfied i want to set the exact volume level for all the speakers . i dont have auto speaker calibration setup .In manual calibration the volume level +- 6db for all the speakers.i dont know how to use spl meter.kindly send me the exact speaker level volume for each speaker in db.

Unreal

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinst  /t/1403671/help-in-setting-the-db-for-my-center-speaker#post_23641893

Nobody can give you that information because every room is different. You have to be in the room to run the speaker calibration. But I can almost guarantee that each speaker should not be set at +/- 6db.

If you want to learn how to use a SPL meter the instructions are readily available.

http://www.techlore.com/article/10037/How-To-Calibrate-Your-Surround-Sytem-Using-an-SPL-Meter/

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=38765

#23 ·
ya i installed smart tools spl meter andriod application for my galaxy note but values displayed in that app is from 0 to 120 db [/B]how can i convert it for 6db.

Then i analyzed all the speaker it shows 30 db So what is my speaker level . And tell me the exact level for my woofer out of 6db please

MY Sitting position towards front left,right center,Woofer is about 3.5 m and rear speakers is about 1.6m

PLEASE HELP !!!!!

#24 ·

ya i installed smart tools spl meter andriod application for my galaxy note but values displayed in that app is from 0 to 120 db [/B]how can i convert it for 6db.

Then i analyzed all the speaker it shows 30 db So what is my speaker level . And tell me the exact level for my woofer out of 6db please

MY Sitting position towards front left,right center,Woofer is about 3.5 m and rear speakers is about 1.6m

PLEASE HELP !!!!!

#25 ·
It is page 36 in your manual. You need to have the test tone, and you do not set to +- 6 db, rather you use the sound meter to adjust each channel to the same db, usually 75db with the test signal playing. Once each speaker is set to 75db, they will play at the same level. The =- reading will be different for most of the speakers, due to room effects, but that does not matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.