AVS Forum banner

Best Quality Towers for $3000 pair

21K views 187 replies 44 participants last post by  jmichaelf 
#1 ·
My budget can go up to $3000 for a pair of large towers, so just trying to get an idea of what would be the best brand for that price.

Most of use is for movies, xbox, tv and some for music mostly internet radio,mp3 or dvd audio.

Have been looking at Klipsch RF7ii and Axiom M80 but would like some more input of other brands since not all have online sales with pricing.

Thanks for any responses given.

Rustolem

#152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 /forum/post/21876885

First off, I edited my last post(typo again)......just want to make sure that it was OK with you.

Second: My claims.......here is my take.....the internet is a big place......pretty easy to get and DISPROVE claims and opinions. You and others here are BIG BOYS and can probably spend your own time googling or whatever it is, if it really is relevent and necessary for you. Honestly, considering how much time you take ou of your busy time here on the AVSt to either ridicule or question what I state, means that your having problems disproving anything I say. And there is a reason for that. Its because what I state is not just bullsh!t. Whether it be on material cost, or opinions on what is most important in equipment, or my own ideals and opinions in the AV hobby in general.

Sorry I don't kiss your's and other's @ss here and step in line with your own opinions, Im just not going to do that. Ive been around with, owned, sold so much equipment, dealt with both sides of the industry, dealt with all of the politics and practices in general. Im going to give my own personal views and experiences, opinions etc. If you agree, great, if not, oh well, its not going to ruin my day.

You need to go back to that other thread and have a look. The last exchange between you and I is good example of your mis-information and lack of credibility.

It isn't about kissing a$$, it is about proving you are credible.

#153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/0

He isn't, and none of us need to prove it so; he's done a fine job doing it himself. We're still waiting for the proof we originally asked for weeks ago. It'll never be presented me thinks.

#155 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf /forum/post/21877594

rustolemite, have you considered going back to your favored model of Polk? I may have missed it earlier, but were they missing something?

Well when I first had them I thought I wasn't getting the quality of sound that I wanted from them, but now I think it was just not knowing enough at the time on how to tweak them including the sub to get the best result.

I still not that knowledgeable but trying to learn with the help of people on AVS, at least those that aren't spamming each other, to get a better sound out of whatever I choose next.

As for the Polks they are great speakers just not sure if they can put out the the bass that I want in 2 channel mode.

And have had them, in 2 different versions, for the last 6 years and wanted to try something new.

Like I mentioned before I am not able to go and audition the speakers so have to learn from others and hope I make the right choice.

Thanks

#156 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/21877479

He isn't, and none of us need to prove it so; he's done a fine job doing it himself. We're still waiting for the proof we originally asked for weeks ago. It'll never be presented me thinks.

Which is why we need to take each opinion in a forum like this with open mind and caution. Claims without proof are usually, and I emphasize usually, false.

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/21876897

And what exactly makes your words "credible"? Because you live your entire life on this and a few other forums day in and day out and kiss butt alot? Seriously.....looking over ALOT of your posts, I see you like to question people alot, but never post anything on your own end showing that your own opinion is any more credible than anyone else's.

Again, if what I say isnt credible, then feel free to post and back up your own side.

And BTW: RAAL ='s TB......all the driver components are TB. RAAL may make some minor mods and tweaks or request some compoents to be mfg'd to a specific spec. but in the end it is essentially a TB made ribbon tweeter(which isnt necessarily a bad thing).

Regardless of how much better the specs on paper show, I can garentee its sound quality and characteristics are going to be pretty much identical to other ribbon tweeters based off the same model platform that TB mfg's. It might be an Acura in refinement, but it still has the overall ride and feel of a Honda is a perfectly good analogy.

#158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 /forum/post/21878566

It might be an Acura in refinement, but it still has the overall ride and feel of a Honda is a perfectly good analogy.

What do you think is "the real" Acura or Audi of the tweeter world? TB's version doesn't seem any better... So you're saying we should spend $184 as opposed to $700 since the real world performance's the same?

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/123...t-1516sb_b.jpg

And yea, just ignore him. Lots of questions but very little substance. I'm still waiting for his test results on the Tekton Uruz.

#159 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/21878616

What do you think is "the real" Acura or Audi of the tweeter world? TB's version doesn't seem any better... So you're saying we should spend $184 as opposed to $700 since the real world performance's the same?

And yea, just ignore him. Lots of questions but very little substance. I'm still waiting for his test results on the Tekton Uruz.

I bet set up properly you would have a hard time noticing any difference between a multitude of ribbon tweeters.

Heck, its great and all looking at anechoic specs with a driver given 1 watt of pink noise, but how that translates into real world "in your OWN room response" with a musical signal with varrying amouts of wattages applied dynamically from a musical signal is a completely different animal. Again, its why I don't mind looking over specs, but I take them and put them into PROPER PERSPECTIVE.

You dont need to spend $700 on a dedicated tweeter driver to have world class integrated treble.

#160 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 /forum/post/0

Again, if what I say isnt credible, then feel free to post and back up your own side.

And BTW: RAAL ='s TB......all the driver components are TB. RAAL may make some minor mods and tweaks or request some compoents to be mfg'd to a specific spec. but in the end it is essentially a TB made ribbon tweeter(which isnt necessarily a bad thing).

Prove it. Surely you have a reference to back this new statement up. Otherwise it's just more of your verbal diarrhea, another mistruth upon the mountain of crap you continue to build.

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 /forum/post/21878657

Heck, its great and all looking at anechoic specs with a driver given 1 watt of pink noise, but how that translates into real world "in your OWN room response" with a musical signal with varrying amouts of wattages applied dynamically from a musical signal is a completely different animal.

Basically you're saying there is such a thing as overkill. So using crappier cheap drivers are ok because most of the time people can't tell the difference? Can you inform us the cheapest "crappy" tweeter that people would still consider the best out there upon listening so that I can save some major $? Thanks.

#163 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 /forum/post/21878883

Disprove it.
Only takes a few searches, emails or phone calls.

I gave you a chance, once again, not to look like a fool. I had no hope that you would do so, of course. You never have, you never will. You've cried wolf too many times.

The fact is you got caught with your pants down:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 /forum/post/21876834

Ive heard the RAAL tweeter first hand on a Zu Essense. Flat to 20k it was not. Off axis the response roll off becomes very dramatic. I think there are even a few online reviews with "pro" measurements with similiar results. Regardless, its a good driver, not the best Ive heard though, nor would it be my first choice. One of the best sounding un-EQ'd speakers I've heard with incredible treble came from a pair of Maxxhorn's. Single full range driver, no xover. Incredible detail and dynamics in the treble, solid, detailed smooth bass down to 30hz. All from a single 5" driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/21876871

Again...mis-information. The Zu Essense does not use a RAAL....from their spec sheet:

"TB ribbon tweeter which is a product of Taiwan"
http://www.zuaudio.com/docs/Essence1-A_Specs.pdf

Wrong brand and origin.

RAAL is the brand and they are a product of Serbia.

And you wonder why you get ridiculed and lack credibility.

Discrediting you is just too easy. Like a cat in a cat box, all you do is repeatedly try to cover up your manure. Hey, I don't care, as long as others know you're full of it I'm good.

You're a misinformation machine. Honestly, if your spelling and grammar weren't so bad I'd swear you were Karl Rove.

#165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 /forum/post/21878566

Regardless of how much better the specs on paper show, I can garentee its sound quality and characteristics are going to be pretty much identical to other ribbon tweeters based off the same model platform that TB mfg's. It might be an Acura in refinement, but it still has the overall ride and feel of a Honda is a perfectly good analogy.
"I can garentee ..."

Then please do so. Last chance bubba.

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 /forum/post/0

Disprove it.
Only takes a few searches, emails or phone calls.

This is the same hooey you say every time someone asks you to prove what you state. Asking someone else to find the proof for you isn't helping your case. It's YOUR job to prove the lies you're shoveling. So either do it or be gone little one. You won't be scamming anyone here.

I bet ntrain and wmax from Audioholics are friends, or maybe the same person.

#168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/21878616

Hey...thanks for finding that manufacturer measurement. That measurement certainly does not match the RAALs'.

Oh..about the Tektron, funny.

ntrain...if Tang Band can replicate or come close to the performance of the RAAL at fraction of the cost, I'm all for it. I'm sure speaker companies that use the RAAL would as well.

#169 ·
Rustolemite,

How easy is it for you to get down to LaFayatte?

One thing that intrigues me on many of these forums are when people are looking at (what I feel to be) the wrong end of the spectrum.

I've glanced thorugh the thread but admit, haven't read every post.

You're interested in a 5 way HT setup, I think I got that.... however, do you need to buy it all "today"? Could you piece it together over a bit of time?

You might do yourself a huge favor if you can get down to LaFayatte and swing by a friends house and hear some larger Klipsch.

To be frank, he's probably now using things that are distinctly over your budget and distinctly outside your visual desires however, what it would do is show you what you CAN do if you are willing to broaden your choices to larger horns.

What I'd suggest you do is (over time) buy some LaScalas and if appropriate for yourself, a pair of Khorns (they are SO damn space efficient).

I know a guy in Indinapolis who's got a 7.?? LaScala setup and it is unfrigging believable.

The key to me is, if you want "X" db's at your listening position do you need speakers that are capable of "X+20" db's at your listening position?

My quick answer is, I'd prefer them YES and here's why.

If I use speakers that are 89 db/watt and am forced to feed them 200 watts to get "X" db's at my listening position, all parts of the equation are pumping pretty hard and I'm going to presume there will be some sound artifacts introduced in there because of that.

Compare that to some speakers that are 104 db/watt and now you can reach the same "X" db's at listening position with only say, 20 watts. now all the sudden, you are not stressing the speakers nor are you stressing the amp(s) and everthing has extra headroom that you may never ever need/use BUT, you are in the sweet spot for what you have.

I tried to send you a PM and you're not setup for them it would seem. If you want to hear a treat in LaFayatte, send me an email at ralbright@nxs.net and I'll pass the mesage on.

Just be prepared to leave that experience with more confusion and clairity at the same time. Clarity will be what larger horns can do for you, confusion will be which ones will you be able to sneak into your place and still have a bed to sleep in.

#170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/21879227

ntrain...if Tang Band can replicate or come close to the performance of the RAAL at fraction of the cost, I'm all for it. I'm sure speaker companies that use the RAAL would as well.

But he's arguing that it doesn't matter how much better the RAAL is on paper vs other ribbon tweeters such as TB. In the real world nobody can tell a difference of their performances. Since I am all for truth, we need his recommendation for that super cheap but "best" tweeter so we can do a dbt session to confirm his claim. The outcome will decide whether he's truly a troll or some controversial genius. Let the dbt be his witch trial...

#171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/21879351

But he's arguing that it doesn't matter how much better the RAAL is on paper vs other ribbon tweeters such as TB. In the real world nobody can tell a difference of their performances. Since I am all for truth, we need his recommendation for that super cheap but "best" tweeter so we can do a dbt session to confirm his claim. The outcome will decide whether he's truly a troll or some controversial genius. Let the dbt be his witch trial...

What do you think the chances are in getting him to submit to a dbt?

#173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/21879373

Once his recommendation is recorded for decades on a site like this then anyone can go try it out themselves. They'll either think he's a fool or a guru. If I can ever get something concrete like a specific item vs another, like in the case of tweeters then there's no way of getting around that with words and theories. But I'm not holding my breath as he hasn't confirmed to me yet whether the KEF C7 is as good as a Song Tower Supercharged or SS8. Seemed like whenever solid proof is needed he just ignored the question or in you guys' case, deflected. Which seems more likely that he's a troll... Oh well, good reading nonetheless. Wouldn't have known about the cheap TB tweeters that's good for DIY someday when I have the free time. In the mean time, I'll enjoy my RAAL Sierra Towers when they arrive next week.

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/21879373

What do you think the chances are in getting him to submit to a drug test?

My guess is it's one extreme or another - he's an abuser or he forgets his medication.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.