AVS Forum banner

Dynaudio or Paradigm?

13K views 94 replies 31 participants last post by  kzhtoo 
#1 ·
What are you thoughts on replacing my 12+ year old Paradigm Monitor 9's? I'm looking at the Dynaudio Excite X-16's or the Paradigm Studio 20's. I know they are both bookshelf speakers but would like to upgrade my sound while downgrading in size. We listen mostly to HT/TV/music (Pandora).

Jeff

#2 ·
The paradigm studios are great speakers, The best thing to do is to listen to them and see if you like the sound. I have 17 speakers of the studio line and for me, it would be my choice. but in end its up to you whether you like the sound of them. I have no experience with the other.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 /forum/post/21879333

The paradigm studios are great speakers, The best thing to do is to listen to them and see if you like the sound. I have 17 speakers of the studio line and for me, it would be my choice. but in end its up to you whether you like the sound of them. I have no experience with the other.

I thought I was bad with Paradigm! 15 total, 5 sigs,2 studio,3 monitor,

2 outdoor and 3 subs.

Go with the Paradigm Studios, the 20's are great.

#8 ·
I prefer the studios over the excites. The excites remind me of a nearfield pair of monitors which sound very flat and lifeless. For the price, you would think dynaudio excites would have more pep. I've been a dynaudio lover for years in car audio but until you spend the big bucks for their speakers, it's just an average listening experience for myself personally.

You can go with either sub, as both are excellent choices.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous /forum/post/21879493

I prefer the studios over the excites. The excites remind me of a nearfield pair of monitors which sound very flat and lifeless. For the price, you would think dynaudio excites would have more pep. I've been a dynaudio lover for years in car audio but until you spend the big bucks for their speakers, it's just an average listening experience for myself personally.

You can go with either sub, as both are excellent choices.

I have not listened to the studios but i do own the excite x12's as part of a 5.1 setup that consists of x12's, x22 and dm 2/6 for surrounds. These are matched with a rythmik f15hp. I would not call the excites lifeless at all. They do require more power than the average speaker though to sound best.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az /forum/post/21879247

What are you thoughts on replacing my 12+ year old Paradigm Monitor 9's? I'm looking at the Dynaudio Excite X-16's or the Paradigm Studio 20's. I know they are both bookshelf speakers but would like to upgrade my sound while downgrading in size. We listen mostly to HT/TV/music (Pandora).

Jeff

Jeff,

Go audition both, and buy what you like best.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 /forum/post/21879791

Jeff,

Funny how all the...what I can only assume (and in most cases, they themselves confirm)...Paradigm owners say "BUY PARADIGM"!!

Callas01, I know, is a Dyn owner (like me)...and he simply says "go listen for yourself". Moral? Dyns sell themselves.

CD

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 /forum/post/21879791

Jeff,

I deal with a guy in FL where I used to live and take his word for pretty much everything and he likes Paradigm as a whole. I know the Paradigm sound but just from the Monitor series. There is no store near me that has the Studio line in store, except in Vegas. That's a 4 hour drive. There is a store in Phoenix that sells the Dynaudio which is 1.5 hours from me. Will be heading down there in 3 weeks. Hopefully they have the X-16's to listen to. And Calas and I have had this discussion on the Blu Ray forum.

Jeff

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/21879841

Funny how all the...what I can only assume (and in most cases, they themselves confirm)...Paradigm owners say "BUY PARADIGM"!!

Callas01, I know, is a Dyn owner (like me)...and he simply says "go listen for yourself". Moral? Dyns sell themselves.

CD

Why wouldn't a paradigm owner recommend paradigms? I've heard dynaudio excites and with no pun intended, it was hardly an exciting experience. It will be hard to find a speaker that can pull off dual duty as a 50/50 HT/Music speaker like paradigms can. People hate hearing the word paradigm because they are recommended a lot. By no means is this an accident that they are heavily recommended.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az /forum/post/21879247

Jeff

Somehow, someway you need to get both in your home to demo. If you choose the Paradigm, you'll second guess yourself regarding the Dynaudio and vice versa.

I once owned Studio 20 and now have Dynaudio Focus at home. Haven't had enough time to have a decisive impression of the Dynaudio. With the time I've had I can borrow or paraphrase something I read elsewhere. When going to a concert, if you prefer to set in the first row, dead center, Paradigms are probably the choice. If you prefer to sit 15 rows back, Dynaudio may be the better choice.

BTW, if you the store in Phoenix you mentioned is Dedicated Audio in Scottsdale, be aware the Dedicated Audio is not conventional retail storefront. They are appointment only and are in Scottsdale Airpark. I'm assuming you know this.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous /forum/post/21880013

Why wouldn't a paradigm owner recommend paradigms?

Well...for starters; why would you assume your tastes are their tastes? You're hardly alone, but it's a peeve of mine. Anyone who says "just buy what I bought"...without asking the OP about his taste in music, his budget, his associated gear...etc, etc...isn't given a very informed opinion, IMO.

CD

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt /forum/post/21880625

Somehow, someway you need to get both in your home to demo. If you choose the Paradigm, you'll second guess yourself regarding the Dynaudio and vice versa.

I once owned Studio 20 and now have Dynaudio Focus at home. Haven't had enough time to have a decisive impression of the Dynaudio. With the time I've had I can borrow or paraphrase something I read elsewhere. When going to a concert, if you prefer to set in the first row, dead center, Paradigms are probably the choice. If you prefer to sit 15 rows back, Dynaudio may be the better choice.

BTW, if you the store in Phoenix you mentioned is Dedicated Audio in Scottsdale, be aware the Dedicated Audio is not conventional retail storefront. They are appointment only and are in Scottsdale Airpark. I'm assuming you know this.

The Focus line is more comparable to the signature line from paradigm. Apples to oranges comparison,

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/21880688

Well...for starters; why would you assume your tastes are their tastes? You're hardly alone, but it's a peeve of mine. Anyone who says "just buy what I bought"...without asking the OP about his taste in music, his budget, his associated gear...etc, etc...isn't given a very informed opinion, IMO.

CD

Not saying that at all. How many of these threads pop up a week? How many times does the op get told to listen to his choices? I've done plenty of speaker testing with a wide array of music and the excites sound flat compared to the studio line. It was clear in my reply this was based off what I heard with my own ears. Clearly, dynaudio isn't exactly budget speakers and generally more expensive then paradigms.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous /forum/post/21880692

The Focus line is more comparable to the signature line from paradigm. Apples to oranges comparison,

Probably. Also owned Studio 60. The Studio series are excellent HT speakers. Really like the Paradigm center channels. If looking for speakers with an 90/10 bias to HT, the Studios are a solid choice.

Another plus for Paradigm is they are easily available in the secondary (used) market. Real good opportunities to score great deals.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt /forum/post/21880736

Probably. Also owned Studio 60. The Studio series are excellent HT speakers. Really like the Paradigm center channels. If looking for speakers with an 90/10 bias to HT, the Studios are a solid choice.

I drew a line in the sand for speakers with only a $25k budget for 7 speakers, a sub and a new tv and avr with amps.

I stood on that line of saying screw it and blow it all on speakers, wait a year and then finish it. Or, do it all at once. So I spent 10 months strictly on speaker testing to meet getting it all done at once. Since i listen 50/50 to ht and music, I had to find the best for the budget and my ears.

Originally I was hell bent between the paradigm signatures and the focal electras. Then I listened to the bw 803ds and dynaudio Focus series. Since I wasn't going to listen to strictly music, I decided to look at each line of speakers one step down and base it on that. I kept going toward then paradigm studio line and I have no regrets making that decision. Compared to interning to my friends audio setups, the studios blow them out of the water.

With the extra money I pocketed, I was able to double up the subs, add a few more pairs of speakers, an amp and get the kids a nice led 55" 3d tv.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous /forum/post/0

with only a $25k budget for 7 speakers, a sub and a new tv and avr with amps.

My favorite part of that reply.....ONLY $25,000 budget. Thats what I paid for my car......

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous /forum/post/21880783

I drew a line in the sand for speakers with only a $25k budget for 7 speakers, a sub and a new tv and avr with amps.

I stood on that line of saying screw it and blow it all on speakers, wait a year and then finish it. Or, do it all at once. So I spent 10 months strictly on speaker testing to meet getting it all done at once. Since i listen 50/50 to ht and music, I had to find the best for the budget and my ears.

Originally I was hell bent between the paradigm signatures and the focal electras. Then I listened to the bw 803ds and dynaudio Focus series. Since I wasn't going to listen to strictly music, I decided to look at each line of speakers one step down and base it on that. I kept going toward then paradigm studio line and I have no regrets making that decision. Compared to interning to my friends audio setups, the studios blow them out of the water.

With the extra money I pocketed, I was able to double up the subs, add a few more pairs of speakers, an amp and get the kids a nice led 55" 3d tv.

Seriously, did you just use the "blow them out of the water" statement? You missed "better than any other speaker 2X, 3x the cost". Need to work on that one.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous /forum/post/21880692

I'm not trying to nit-pick, or focus on semantics here...but I'm not sure I get this comparison. I guess you're saying dollar-wise, Dyns' Focus line costs around what the Paradigm Signature line does (that's for you to say...I don't really know what Paradigm Sigs cost); but OTOH, you're comparing Paradigms flagship against Dyns' second-most-budget offering. If you're going to do so...how can you make the argument Paradigm is "superior" to Dynaudio?

For the record...I think Paradigm is a fine brand; a bang-for-the-buck champion. Monitor 11s were my first "good" speaker...and I too had Studio 40s and a CC-590 in my HT. However, I find Dynaudios to be in another class (and yes, they cost it too).

CD

#24 ·
My buddy is going to get a full Monitor Audio PL300 6.1 system and my neighbor already has his 150k system. When you're in another expensive hobby such as exotic cars, these are small change especially when you live in Huntington Beach. The bigger question is whether it is really necessary to spend that much to get the same or superior audio quality. i personally don't get off by buying the most expensive out there. I'm happy knowing I buy the best at the least cost

#25 ·
I find this hobby to be one of the most expensive. Ever. The average person has no clue that there are home audio set-ups that cost as much as their house. Hell, most people think the most expensive is Bose (The same people that also think they're the best). When I tell them there are people that have set-ups that cost millions, they think I'm lying and insane.

#26 ·
Some gamble. Some do drugs. Others buy audio equipment. We all have vices I guess.

I remember being on vacation in Vegas a few years back and my wife was shopping for purses. I was shocked at the fact women didn't hesitate to spend $1000 on one. A freakin purse!! Here in the Midwest that is a house payment.

I suppose if you have a $1,000,000 house, $250,000 car, 2 ex wives, 3 children and a psychiatrist, $100,000 for a home theater makes perfect sense.

I guess it's all relative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.