AVS Forum banner
1M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  glangford 
#1 ·
All things 110/210/310 here! Who has received theirs so far? What do you like? What could they improve? gogogo!

edit: my first impressions after a 30 minute test session:

Im a total noob when it comes to this 3d stuff and blu-ray players and whatnot, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I just got the BDT110 today, upgrading from a BDT100 that I only played with a couple times before selling it on ebay. The 100 was my first blu-ray, and this is my first experience with plasma technology and 3d technology. I got the Panasonic 50GT25 3d plasma just a couple weeks ago. This is just going to be a stream of consciousness of things I noticed in my quick 30 minute test drive...

Setup and updating the firmware was simple through my ethernet connection. I read a review on amazon where the dude said he wasn't able to do it over the internet and had to burn some iso disc to update his firmware and it was a big pain, but I had no such issues.

Right off the bat I started having quite a lot of handshake issues w/ my Onkyo receiver when switching back and forth between 2d and 2d-->3d conversion. When I'd switch, it would get a static screen, then a green screen, then it would go blank. Then, I'd hear only audio with a blank picture. "HDMI handshake" problems is the correct term for this, right? I'd have to restart everything and it kept happening--it was quite frustrating. I think there are firmware updates to fix this, correct? I don't think this ever happened with my BDT100. Any suggestions?

As far as the 2d-->3d conversion, it seems to do a better job converting a blu-ray than my 50GT25 does, so that's pretty neat. I tried it on Toy Story 3 blu-ray and it looked pretty cool. Not as good as a true 3d blu-ray naturally, but pretty neat nonetheless. I tried doing 2d-3d from Netflix content by pushing the "3d" button, but it nothing happened (or did it say "this feature not available"?). So I'm not sure if you can convert that content to 3d.

Another thing that may turn out cool is that you can put a vignette around the picture in 3d. Have you ever noticed how the edges on a 3d blu-ray can sometimes look real distracting how one eye will have the image off of the screen and the other eye the edge of the image will be on the screen? I'm sure there's a name for this but all i know is that it can really take away from the movie at times. Anyway, the 110 has an upgrade (from the 100) where you can put a black/gray/blue/red vignette around the edges so that edge artifact is nearly gone.

I'll have to play with the settings to get everything looking optimal, as there are so many damn things you can tweak (i.e., depth, .

The interface is really slick looking and seems intuitive. The Netflix upgrade from the 100 is great. You can now browse all titles, rather than just look at your instant queue and their suggestions. One thing that seems to be missing is that you can't browse just by HD content.

I tried burning an .mkv file of a blu-ray movie to a DVD-R and playing it, and although the resolution of the picture itself looked stellar, no audio was coming through and the video was really choppy, speeding up then slowing down. This is the first time I have ever burned any mkv files so it is distinctly possible that I did something wrong and this is of no fault of the player itself. Just throwing this out there...

A minor thing that kept pissing me off... When I'd put a movie in, I tried to press the "top menu" button to skip the previews and go right to the title menu of the movie, but it never seemed to work? I had to manually fast forward through previews and whatnot. I'm sure this is something I was doing wrong probably.

I'll update as I think of more things.

See less See more
#7,560 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Miller /forum/post/21872382

Um, that's a mighty high horse you are on there pardner.

The fact is that there is currently a conflict between 2 U.S. laws and case history. Under US Federal law, making a personal backup copy of a DVD or CD by the purchaser is considered legal under fair use protection. This law conflicts with the DMCA's prohibition against breaking encryption. Until the courts and case law definitively decide this issue, this is a legal grey area.

No, I don't think it is. The DMCA doesn't prohibit your making a copy, it prohibits the use, sale or distribution of a mechanism for circumventing DRM. You break that law when you use such a mechanism to copy an AACS protected disc. Whether you consider it a "legal grey area", that section of Title 17 has been successfully used in prosecutions and has withstood nearly 14 years of attempts to have it removed or modified.

Be that as it may, BD ripping programs are available and fairly widely used, but it's still a Federal offense to use them, though it's extremely unlikely that a private individual would be prosecuted for making a copy of a disc that he or she owns. Talking about having done so here is a public admission of breaking that law (and a possible violation of forum rules). I'd suggest that if someone's inclined to test whether Cinavia detection is in place on these units for Brian that they do it and PM him with the results.

#7,561 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21872582

that section of Title 17 has been successfully used in prosecutions

It has never been successfully used in any prosecution involving making a personal backup copy. Thus there is no case law that decides this inherant discrepancy in the law.

I don't want to hijack a thread to discuss copyright law, but I was offended by Hyrax's accusation that I am "pressuring" anyone to do anything, and that deserved a response. The issue is closed as far as I'm concerned.

If anyone is so inclined, myself and others would still be interested to learn if Cinavia is active in the latest firmware, by PM or otherwise.

#7,563 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Miller /forum/post/21872639

If anyone is so inclined, myself and others would still be interested to learn if Cinavia is active in the latest firmware, by PM or otherwise.

You could announce it here without revealing who tested it or how

#7,564 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Miller /forum/post/21872639

It has never been successfully used in any prosecution involving making a personal backup copy. Thus there is no case law that decides this inherant discrepancy in the law.

I don't want to hijack a thread to discuss copyright law, but I was offended by Hyrax's accusation that I am "pressuring" anyone to do anything, and that deserved a response. The issue is closed as far as I'm concerned.

And just to underscore your post, I did NOT feel pressured in any way. I do feel that DRM rights need to be reviewed in COURT, but there are also TOS here on AVS to consider.

Brian, man to man. I took your request as something you were interested in. If there is any software available that will scan the disk, say by using the BR player in my computer, and report this Cinavia watermark is present, let me know through PM.

#7,567 ·
This what I found on the Panasonic website concerning firmware

update version 1.8:

Update Information

Model Number DMP-BDT110P/PC/PX/PU/LB, DMP-BDT210P/PC/PX, DMP-BDT215P, DMP-BDT310P/PC

Update Version Ver 1.80

Update File Name / Size

* North America/Latin America

UPDATE_BDT110P_V180.exe / 91,039,400 bytes

Update Date 2012/2/6 (Firmware update via network : 2012/2/6)

Improvement

Date/Version Description

2012/2/6

Ver 1.80

* VIERA Connect update

* Playability of 3D Blu-ray Disc

2011/9/29

Ver 1.70

* VIERA CAST services has been upgraded to VIERA Connect

* Network connectivity in a DHCP environment

* Playability of MKV file and other improvements

2011/7/26

Ver 1.68

* Quality of Skype call and video mail

* VIERA CAST update (US only)

* Wireless LAN Connectivity with WEP encryption

* Playability of AVCHD Disc

* Playability of MKV file and other improvements

2011/6/27

Ver 1.65

* Playability of Blu-ray Disc having Picture-in-Picture (PiP) features

2011/5/31

Ver 1.63

* Netflix compatibility (only DMP-BDT110P/PC/PX, DMP-BDT210P/PC/PX, DMP-BDT215P, DMP-BDT310P/PC)

* Skype compatibility and other improvements

2011/4/21

Ver 1.59

* VIERA CAST update to support Skype service

* VIERA Link "HDAVI Control" compatibility

2011/3/28

Ver 1.56

* 3D still pictures (MPO) compatibility and other improvements

2011/2/24

Ver 1.47

* VIERA CAST update to support Skype service

* VIERA Link "HDAVI Control" compatibility

#7,568 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloaderdave /forum/post/21882760

This what I found on the Panasonic website concerning firmware

update version 1.8:

Update Information

Model Number DMP-BDT110P/PC/PX/PU/LB, DMP-BDT210P/PC/PX, DMP-BDT215P, DMP-BDT310P/PC

Update Version Ver 1.80

Update File Name / Size

* North America/Latin America

UPDATE_BDT110P_V180.exe / 91,039,400 bytes

Update Date 2012/2/6 (Firmware update via network : 2012/2/6)

Improvement

Date/Version Description

2012/2/6

Ver 1.80

* VIERA Connect™ update

* Playability of 3D Blu-ray Disc™

Most of us have seen that page--you'll find it quoted and links to it throughout this thread (like here ). Just because something isn't listed in those highly abbreviated release notes doesn't mean that it wasn't added--Cinavia detection might have been added whether it's listed there or not.

Every complex piece of electronics that I've worked on (multi-function networked office devices, mobile phones, etc) has released with literally thousands of known bugs intact. They're all graded in degree of severity and the product can be released with anything that's not labelled "serious" or "show-stopping". Work continues on bug fixes after release. Products like these will be built on the codebase for previous products and future products will be built on its codebase.

#7,569 ·
Yes, I agree with you...it could have been added and not listed. What I posted

was off the Japan website for the North American units. There very well could

be more "enhancements" that were also added and not listed.

It would be nice if we could just load a disc in the player and have all the

changes shown on the screen. I have the BDT210 and I haven't run into any

hiccups yet, not to say that I won't ever.

I think the studios are going way overboard on all the copy protection on

movies we purchase, but I understand why they are doing it.

#7,570 ·
I was just pointing out that the existence of that page on the Japanese website is known and the release comments there have been discussed here. I'm sure that Brian Miller has seen those couple of lines and knows that they don't mean that Cinavia hasn't been added. (I personally strongly doubt that it has, since Panasonic can't be compelled to do it, its ACCS licensing for the BDTx10s having been obtained before the Cinavia requirement. They have no motive for spending the money to add it).

#7,571 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd /forum/post/0

I ve read that the DMP-BT110 does support DLNA. Does this mean I can play my BDMV+CERTIFICATE (Blu-Ray folder structure) movies that are located on my PC that s in the same networkas my Panasonic DMP-BT110?

Unfortunately I don't believe you can do that. But it partly depends on your DLNA server software

These players only natively support a few video formats through DLNA. Using Win7 built-in DLNA, I've played lots of MPEG2 TS files, which works very well. Others report playing M2TS files with AVC/H.264 content. It seems transport streams work best - probably because the players don't buffer much.

Others have reported success using Mezzmo DLNA server. Do note, however, that any formats not natively supported by the player will be transcoded by the DLNA server, which always reduces quality.

If you search this thread, you'll find tons of valuable information.

#7,572 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21882916

I was just pointing out that the existence of that page on the Japanese website is known and the release comments there have been discussed here. I'm sure that Brian Miller has seen those couple of lines and knows that they don't mean that Cinavia hasn't been added. (I personally strongly doubt that it has, since Panasonic can't be compelled to do it, its ACCS licensing for the BDTx10s having been obtained before the Cinavia requirement. They have no motive for spending the money to add it).

Exactly, the ACCS can force Panasonic & Co to pay a license fee to Verance for each manufactured 2012 player. The the ACCS requires it is the only reason that the HW manufacturers adds this so why would they include it with firmware for their 2011 models and thus have to pay a license fee for all those millions of old players?

#7,573 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonRetina5000 /forum/post/21869025

I'm on the fence about returning my 310 because of inconsistent noise levels during movie playback. Noise varies depending on what chapter the disc is on. Half the time it's pretty quiet; the other half will produce varying degrees of noise equivalent to the sound of a hairdryer. I would return it for a 220, but the chances of it outputting the same noise is highly likely; as I hear all blu-ray drives are inherently louder than dvd drives because they require more processing power.

I just purchased and installed a 310 and noise is not an issue.

I should mention that I went from a Panasonic 85K to the 310 and even though I liked the older model I found the 310 an improvement in many ways. Network setup was easier (not that I had much trouble with the 85) and its built in wireless appears to be more sensitive as I am getting a stronger signal. It has Netflix search capability that the 85 did not and seems to be generally easier to navigate. I assume the 210 has many of the same improvements if you don't need the 2nd hdmi out.

Of course the reason I got the 85 in the first place, analog outs are no longer necessary because of the second hdmi out. This in turn has led to better hi def sound.

John

#7,574 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg /forum/post/21883262

Unfortunately I don't believe you can do that. But it partly depends on your DLNA server software

These players only natively support a few video formats through DLNA. Using Win7 built-in DLNA, I've played lots of MPEG2 TS files, which works very well. Others report playing M2TS files with AVC/H.264 content. It seems transport streams work best - probably because the players don't buffer much.

Others have reported success using Mezzmo DLNA server. Do note, however, that any formats not natively supported by the player will be transcoded by the DLNA server, which always reduces quality.

If you search this thread, you'll find tons of valuable information.

Searched the entire topic but there is really nothing I can find about BDMV+CERTIFICATE (Blu-Ray folder) support......

#7,575 ·
(I can t find the correct answer to my question in the official Panasonic thread)

Does the Panasonic DMP-BDT110 support BDMV+CERTIFICATE (Blu-Ray folder structure)? If not, are there any Blu-Ray players besides the Oppo that support this? (a must is also 3D disc playback capability).

thxz

#7,576 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth /forum/post/21873012

Brian, man to man. I took your request as something you were interested in. If there is any software available that will scan the disk, say by using the BR player in my computer, and report this Cinavia watermark is present, let me know through PM.

Thank you for offering to help! I love this forum for the incredibly helpful and knowledgeable people on it. Unfortunately, I know of no such software that can scan for or report Cinavia. I think it will take someone who is willing & able to play a backup DVD or Blu-Ray disc on their player.

#7,577 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd /forum/post/21886522

(I can t find the correct answer to my question in the official Panasonic thread)

Does the Panasonic DMP-BDT110 support BDMV+CERTIFICATE (Blu-Ray folder structure)? If not, are there any Blu-Ray players besides the Oppo that support this? (a must is also 3D disc playback capability).

thxz

It does not, the Panasonics only accept pure MPEG-2 files over DLNA and possible a few more formats over a Network Share or USB but certainly not something that contains a menu structure. And regarding the Oppo, didn't they just drop ISO support so probably there are not BR player that currently support what you are looking for. You'd better look at some dedicated media player!

#7,578 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Ultra /forum/post/21887362

It does not, the Panasonics only accept pure MPEG-2 files over DLNA and possible a few more formats over a Network Share or USB but certainly not something that contains a menu structure. And regarding the Oppo, didn't they just drop ISO support so probably there are not BR player that currently support what you are looking for. You'd better look at some dedicated media player!

Thanks for your reply.

I need the Panasonic 110 for it s 3D Blu-Ray disc capability.

And does the Panasonic maybe supports .m2ts playback?

#7,580 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmg96 /forum/post/0

Anyone else had trouble with the app finding the blu ray player? Mine keeps searching but never pulls it up. I've tried everything short of calling tech support. Tried search here but no luck. BTW I have the 210.

Thanks

Did you go in the settings of the BD player to activate the option of remote control?

#7,581 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd /forum/post/0

Thanks for your reply.

I need the Panasonic 110 for it s 3D Blu-Ray disc capability.

And does the Panasonic maybe supports .m2ts playback?

As I replied to you a couple days ago, it doesn't support BD folder structure through DLNA. But some people have reported m2ts in this thread. MPEG2 is the only guarantied natively supported format through DLNA, though, anything else depends on the DLNA server. Did you check Mezzmo, which I mentioned as well?

And once again, if you search the thread for something a little broader, like "DLNA m2ts", I'm pretty sure you will find results. The way search works, you may have to try a few combinations of words, and the exact answer may not always be the first on the list. Of course that's where it's easier to just keep asking instead, I understand...

#7,582 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 /forum/post/21891324

Did you go in the settings of the BD player to activate the option of remote control?

Yep, says it is confirm the player is on the subnet or to check to see if remote device setting is on. I don't know what the subnet is. But when I check the network device list, my phone is showing up there. BTW, I also found out its a 220 not a 210. Does this make a difference?

#7,583 ·
Hi

Hoping someone can help with this weird one!!

This is my setup: Kenwood KRF-V7300D 7.1 receiver, Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D blu-ray player, PS3 and LG 42LW4500 3D LCD TV.

Kenwood connected to TV via HDMI - no problems. PS3 connected by HDMI to Kenwood HDMI 1 - result - picture passed through to TV, hi-def 7.1 sound - no problems.

Panasonic DMP-3DT310 - HDMI AV OUT MAIN connected directly to TV - no picture problems. HDMI AV OUT SUB connected to Kenwood HDMI 2 result - no sound at all. All settings on the Panasonic are set for the audio to be sent through its AV OUT SUB connection as per the manual and the various comments posted here.

Strange thing is about maybe 5% of the time for no logical reason sound will emerge say on the blu-ray menu but as it switches to the movie nothing and then when reverts back to menu still nothing even though it was playing it a moment ago, but as said this happens extremely rarely. On only one occasion has sound came through and lasted for a movie, including the movie being split over two discs (The Ten Commandments blu-ray).

Things I have tried:

Changed all the HDMI cables - same problem.

As the PS3 is connected to the Kenwood with no problems I swapped the HDMI connections on the back of the Kenwood around for the PS3 and Panasonic without changing any settings on any device. PS3 works no problem, Panasonic the problem follows it and the result is the same. This would tend me to believe the problem is with settings on the Panasonic but after scouring the manual and the fact that it has worked for a whole movie once and then only 5% per cent of the time from then onwards is just totally bizarre to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Darin.

#7,584 ·
There are two required settings for the HDMI SUB: No Video (HDMI V.Sub Out = Off - a LED will light on the display), and HDMI SUB Audio = ON. Compression, downmix, reformat, etc should all be off as your receiver can handle whatever it tossed at it (and it should output high res sound anyway by default with those settings like that). IF this doesn't work, then try flipping the audio out toggle on the HDMI (main) off- but that's over ridden by the HDMI Sub settings (meaning it should cut off the audio on the HDMI Main when the Sub is set to Video Off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers3 /forum/post/21897973

Hi

Hoping someone can help with this weird one!!

This is my setup: Kenwood KRF-V7300D 7.1 receiver, Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D blu-ray player, PS3 and LG 42LW4500 3D LCD TV.

Kenwood connected to TV via HDMI - no problems. PS3 connected by HDMI to Kenwood HDMI 1 - result - picture passed through to TV, hi-def 7.1 sound - no problems.

Panasonic DMP-3DT310 - HDMI AV OUT MAIN connected directly to TV - no picture problems. HDMI AV OUT SUB connected to Kenwood HDMI 2 result - no sound at all. All settings on the Panasonic are set for the audio to be sent through its AV OUT SUB connection as per the manual and the various comments posted here.

Strange thing is about maybe 5% of the time for no logical reason sound will emerge say on the blu-ray menu but as it switches to the movie nothing and then when reverts back to menu still nothing even though it was playing it a moment ago, but as said this happens extremely rarely. On only one occasion has sound came through and lasted for a movie, including the movie being split over two discs (The Ten Commandments blu-ray).

Things I have tried:

Changed all the HDMI cables - same problem.

As the PS3 is connected to the Kenwood with no problems I swapped the HDMI connections on the back of the Kenwood around for the PS3 and Panasonic without changing any settings on any device. PS3 works no problem, Panasonic the problem follows it and the result is the same. This would tend me to believe the problem is with settings on the Panasonic but after scouring the manual and the fact that it has worked for a whole movie once and then only 5% per cent of the time from then onwards is just totally bizarre to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Darin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.