AVS Forum banner

Electrohome 8000 lost focus, then lost picture

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  draganm 
#1 ·
Electrohome 8000 lost focus, then lost picture.

while watching some videos, the projector would suddenly cut image, then come back from blurry and dim to sharp and bright. then one last time it did that same trick, and from then on has had no image at all. I am getting nothing that looks like an error light from the system. have power to the fans, can turn the unit on and off, and when on, I get the full complement of fans.

Am I likely looking at a HV PS? or another board somewhere?

with "reasonable" digitals well under 1K.... this may be my final push

Josh

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Snyder /forum/post/21886660

Electrohome 8000 lost focus, then lost picture.Am I likely looking at a HV PS? Josh

those are certainly the symptoms of a dying HVPS. Considering used ones sell for $250. I'm not sure I would invest that into an 8000. Not unless the tubes are good, it's a newer late-model 1994/95 version, and you already have and HDMI converter (moome card or Fury) .

If it's an ancient 8000 with the fixed rear heat sink that doesn't hinge down and your running some kind of line doubler or momitsu player I would not fix it.

#3 ·
it's a 8000 from October 1995, the Tubes have about 2000 hours on them or less. I have an external mark 1 Mome converter.

Still not sure if Imm going to repair it. Don't you have to drop the projector from the ceiling to replace the HVPS?

#4 ·
BEfore you write off the HVPS, reset the H deflection board, the one between the G and B tubes. The HVPS can be changed out with the set on the ceiling.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Snyder /forum/post/21887454

it's a 8000 from October 1995, the Tubes have about 2000 hours on them or less. I have an external mark 1 Mome converter.

it's a keeper, there will be some 8500 parts in there for sure. Also be aware that a $1K digital will not be the perfect new display your hoping for. The really good ones like the JVC DILA's are still $4K + if you can find last years model on close-out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Snyder /forum/post/21887454

Still not sure if Imm going to repair it. Don't you have to drop the projector from the ceiling to replace the HVPS?

No you don't, just have to unplug it
6 screws and it slides out . A newer 8500 HVPS will also give you 200 more Lumens

You can try curt's suggestion though, sometimes the HDM doesn't lite up the error light for whatever reason.

#6 ·
The HVPS that is in the unit now is one from a 8500, so that's what I would want to put in it if I could.

I reseated both of the vertical boards in the unit, and still no go, no HV "crackle" as the set starts up anymore.

I did pull the "LV" PS, cleaned it out, a little dusty since I replaced the fans years ago.

Where might I find a 8500 HVPS?

Thanks

#7 ·

Hello. I have those for $250 and postage.

ehometech @ earthlink.net

Cheers

Tim

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Snyder /forum/post/21890487

Thanks

maybe send your old one to the same person if they can test it. Tim can for sure

try and find a newer V3 (version 3)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.