AVS Forum banner

Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread

1M views 11K replies 632 participants last post by  david20-100 
#1 ·
THE OFFICIAL JVC RS40 & X3 OWNER'S THREAD:

Welcome to the Official JVC RS40/X3 thread. I was lucky enough to have gotten one of the first few and scarce RS40 projectors in the US on 12/07/10, in addition to "TOE" who also picked up his RS40 with me today from our local dealer (So feel free to bug him too, PLEASE!
).

I will do my best to communicate with everyone in the meantime and ease the anticipation pain until hopefully everyone, or almost everyone, has their RS40 in hand, and hopefully before Christmas. I am really hoping more people start receiving their RS40s or X3's this week so to ease the early testing burden on TOE and myself. I will go ahead and save the next few posts, just incase we need them to post calibrations, configurations, Firmware update notifications and such.

I should mention that I did not receive the 3D emitter with the projector today, but I do have the Xpand X103 universal glasses and I intend to test them against the JVC OEM glasses as soon as the emitter arrives. And for the record, I have an 18 ft throw distance against an 11 ft wide 2.37:1 CIH AT Screen with a 1.1 gain. I also operate in a 100% lighting-controlled batcave, with Red/Black GOM fabric walls, due to sound treatment.

I have the RS40 in hand and will be home in the next 2-3 hours to get it set up, so stay tuned.

GO BRONCOS!!!

-Sam

SCREEN SHOTS INDEX:

See less See more
#9,013 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_1138 /forum/post/21885882

Pop goes the bulb! Died this Sunday. 1,300 Hrs. High alt mode. Some 3-d watched but mostly bulb lived its life in normal output mode. Now do I call JVC and ***** some more b/c it didnt last 3k hrs or jsut buy one.../???

V

They replaced mine free of charge after 1250 hours through my dealer. It didn't pop, it was just too dim to watch. I'm now in the process to get the 2nd one replaced which got too dim in just 600 hours. Hopefully they will do it for free again.

#9,014 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke /forum/post/21887123

They replaced mine free of charge after 1250 hours through my dealer. It didn't pop, it was just too dim to watch. I'm now in the process to get the 2nd one replaced which got too dim in just 600 hours. Hopefully they will do it for free again.

Nice! Hope I'm as lucky at getting replacements. The life a new lamp gives these projectors is breath taking!

#9,015 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/21887155

Nice! Hope I'm as lucky at getting replacements. The life a new lamp gives these projectors is breath taking!

That much difference even at 400 hours eh?

Free lamps for the warranty period, yay!

I may sell my JVC this year sometime, I like it a lot but I get bored with the same projector. It depends what comes out next year.

#9,016 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/21887249

That much difference even at 400 hours eh?

Free lamps for the warranty period, yay!

I may sell my JVC this year sometime, I like it a lot but I get bored with the same projector. It depends what comes out next year.

I've considered selling mine several times. Problem is, I can't seem to find anything else in the range that intrigues me. I watched "The Darkest Hour" last night. It's a mediocre dark sci fi movie, but it sure looks great on the JVC!

Maybe one of the manufactures will release something worth a move. Until then, I'm extremely happy with the image quality of this projector.

And yes..it was a blinding difference from the original lamp at 400 hours!

#9,017 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/21887155

I'm with you. My dealer just sent me an email. The new lamp is on the way. I plan on doing this until I get 3000 hours out of x number of bulbs. Hopefully this one will be the right one that gets me there.

#9,018 ·
My original first bulb got very dim at just under 400 hours, then popped while a new one was on the way from JVC. I've been enjoying this one (002) and have about 250 hours on it. However, in order to get 14 ftL in my bat-cave off a 1.3 gain screen, I need to run it in High power mode. At this point, 3D too dim to enjoy (never mind ghosting).

The RS40 is my third JVC (RS2, RS20, RS40), but at this point, I'm seriously considering a move to Epson (or wait an hope that Red hits one out of the park). JVC needs to stand behind their product and fix/replace these lamps if I'm going to remain a faithful customer of their product.

Q1: Are the 003 lamps with the flappers any better (brighter/longer lasting)?

Q2: Has anyone gotten JVC to replace a second lamp for free?

#9,019 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw /forum/post/21888478

My original first bulb got very dim at just under 400 hours, then popped while a new one was on the way from JVC. I've been enjoying this one (002) and have about 250 hours on it. However, in order to get 14 ftL in my bat-cave off a 1.3 gain screen, I need to run it in High power mode. At this point, 3D too dim to enjoy (never mind ghosting).

The RS40 is my third JVC (RS2, RS20, RS40), but at this point, I'm seriously considering a move to Epson (or wait an hope that Red hits one out of the park). JVC needs to stand behind their product and fix/replace these lamps if I'm going to remain a faithful customer of their product.

Q1: Are the 003 lamps with the flappers any better (brighter/longer lasting)?

Q2: Has anyone gotten JVC to replace a second lamp for free?

I'll let you know in the next 300 hours of use how it goes. You and I have the same luck. I had already called JVC when I noticed the drastic dimming and then POP.. it was gone.

If this one does the same thing. I'll be calling for another! lol

I wish they would use who ever Benq uses as a lamp supplier(Osram)? Their lamps are built like tanks!

Before my last one exploded, I was running it in high lamp mode with the aperture fully open. With the new one, it is in low lamp with the aperture completely closed...it is still too bright at times on my 120" screen. I'll take too bright over too dim any day though!

#9,021 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediclarry /forum/post/21886286

Is this your first bulb? And what number is on it? 002...003 ? 1300 must be a new record..anyone's new 003's die yet,with the new flapper? What's the highest hours on the new replacement bulb with the flapper..who has the highest hours so far? I have a little over 150 hours so far...

2nd bulb. This is the one JVC sent me. 002 v. I thought the hours # was up there from the various posts on the issue here on AVS. Of course as soon as I posted the # it poped a few days later. Just wanted to give some hope to other JVC users I guess.....

V

#9,022 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/21887107

Makes me want to run it in high alt mode :p

I think most of us would be making ancient sacrifices at the altar to get 1300 hours, but no reason not to call and try to get a new one anyways. Let us know what they decide, since 1300 hours is going to be pushing it and I'm not sure they'll give you a new one at that many hours, but it's worth a shot.

lmao @ the sacrifices. My neighbor has been looking for their cat for awhile now (joke) ;o)

I will contact JVC today. I tried calling yesterday but got on the phone too late they were closed. East coast time. Also decided to call Mike @ AVS who told me they bulbs they have in stock are 003 w/ the flapper. Guess it never hurts to have more than 1 bulb....

V

#9,023 ·
What phone number are you guys calling? Any person in particular you guys are talking to there?

I only have 574hrs on my original bulb and this is what it looks like. I know if i turn it on it will blow. Last viewing got extremely dim. My rs1 with 2000+ hours on the bulb was 10x brighter!

#9,026 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg /forum/post/21891120

Yeah, that would make sense. The "fix" they have implemented with the newer bulbs seems to be targeted at better air flow through the bulb housing.

It would be interesting to see pictures of working bulbs around the 400-500 hour mark to see if they show any signs of this type of deterioration. That might tell us if it is gradual or rapid.

#9,027 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke /forum/post/21887123

I take that back.... The PJ is now not starting. I get the double red light and orange led flashing. I assume the lamp is toast. Good thing I received a shipment confirmation from Fedex and I should get it Thursday. I hope it's the new model.

Edit: I just took the old lamp out. It was a -002 model.

#9,028 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke /forum/post/0

I take that back.... The PJ is now not starting. I get the double red light and orange led flashing. I assume the lamp is toast. Good thing I received a shipment confirmation from Fedex and I should get it Thursday. I hope it's the new model.

Edit: I just took the old lamp out. It was a -002 model.

Exactly what happened with mine, first too dim and now not starting anymore.

#9,029 ·
The more I look at that picture i posted, I can't stop but wonder if it would be possible to mount a custom heatsink to the back of the bulb? It seems like majority of the problem is adequate cooling for the life of the bulb. I don't think it would be to difficult to fabricate something to fit on. Issue would be keeping it snug and making sure it doesn't alter the air flow.

Has anyone tried doing this on other projectors? I might have to try this out with my RS1

#9,030 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean /forum/post/21892874

The more I look at that picture i posted, I can't stop but wonder if it would be possible to mount a custom heatsink to the back of the bulb? It seems like majority of the problem is adequate cooling for the life of the bulb. I don't think it would be to difficult to fabricate something to fit on. Issue would be keeping it snug and making sure it doesn't alter the air flow.

Has anyone tried doing this on other projectors? I might have to try this out with my RS1

Better yet, JVC should re-design the bulb/housing to fix this issue. I really hope the "flapper" solves the issue, but I have my doubts. It seems too much like a quick add-on (i.e. cheap) fix. I think the whole bulb unit needs to be re-designed from scratch.

#9,031 ·
JVC owners who also use Lumagen Radiance video processors may want to take note that Lumagen issued a recent firmware update that allows for the conversion of any input 3D format to any other valid 3D format. Since JVC projectors have really lousy performance with lots of crosstalk on side-by-side 3D from cable, for example, you can now use the Radiance to convert SbS to 1080p24 frame-packed 3D (just like Blu-ray) and may get better results.

The firmware currently has some issues with the conversion of top/bottom 3D to frame-packed, but Lumagen says they're working on that and should have another update soon.

Conversion of side-by-side 3D to frame-packed works pretty well, so long as you set your output format to 1080p24 and the deinterlacing mode to Film.

#9,032 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. /forum/post/21893941

Better yet, JVC should re-design the bulb/housing to fix this issue. I really hope the "flapper" solves the issue, but I have my doubts. It seems too much like a quick add-on (i.e. cheap) fix. I think the whole bulb unit needs to be re-designed from scratch.

If you look at all the JVC projector bulbs, they all look very similar. Not much has changed. Glass and then a plastic housing. Nothing else to them. I'm not to sure how much air comes through the back of the housing since it's exposed to the maintenance door. Curious to see how much heat is exchanged from the back of the bulb. It may not even exchange that much heat opposed to the front.

My guess is the fan isn't pumping enough cfm. Maybe they changed the reflective coating on the bulb?

#9,033 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean /forum/post/21894433

If you look at all the JVC projector bulbs, they all look very similar. Not much has changed. Glass and then a plastic housing. Nothing else to them. I'm not to sure how much air comes through the back of the housing since it's exposed to the maintenance door. Curious to see how much heat is exchanged from the back of the bulb. It may not even exchange that much heat opposed to the front.

My guess is the fan isn't pumping enough cfm. Maybe they changed the reflective coating on the bulb?

My HT is in the basement, which is always kind of chilly, even in the summer. So maybe if there isn't enough air pumping in, at least the air it's getting is cool air. Maybe that will help the situation...

#9,036 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediclarry /forum/post/21897324

We didn't have any bulb issue when the watts were at 200,,,now at220,,,things are going south?

I don't think the increase in wattage is the source of the problems. Previous to the 2011 models JVC used Philips for their lamp supplier but they switched to some brand X supplier in China starting with the RS40/50/60 -- X3/7/9 models. I suspect this was done to save a few $$ per lamp.

#9,037 ·
Yeah, just picked up my replacement lamp at the post office. Can't wait to install it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.