AVS Forum banner

"Justified" on FX HD

224K views 4K replies 204 participants last post by  boootriley 
#1 ·

Quote:
JUSTIFIED is the story of Deputy U.S. Marshal RAYLAN GIVENS (Timothy Olyphant), a true-blue hero and something of a throwback, given to wearing a Stetson and cowboy boots, carrying his sidearm in a hip holster – a weapon he only draws when he has to, and when he does, he shoots to kill, because, as he sees it, that’s the purpose of a gun.

Raylan was born and reared in the hill country of eastern Kentucky. It was in Harlan where he played ball, chased girls and dug coal. And it was from Harlan, at age 19, that he ran, determined to become a U.S. Marshal. Now, years later, after shooting a gun thug in a Miami hotel and thereby incurring the wrath of his Marshals Service superiors, Raylan has been sent in punishment (and by fate?) to the one place to which he vowed he would never return – Kentucky.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...outTheShow.php

I'm not sure what to make of this yet. It looks vaguely like Walker: Texas Ranger for 2010, but the idea of Olyphant playing another old West-style marshal could be good, but then again it's another crime drama with another quirky lead character ...

Starts Tues Mar 16, 10pm.

#1,502 ·
"holy **** it's a piggy bank!"

What a finale. Hat's off to the writers for being willing to kill off a likable character like trooper Tom even if it's an unpopular thing to do for many reasons. (I'm looking at you, True Blood for pandering to the masses by not being willing to cut popular characters out). The twist with Arlo / Boyd at the end was powerful stuff - especially "the man in a hat" bit.

Can't wait for next season ... Again.

#1,503 ·
The writers did not let that play out in any way that seemed predictable. Good for them.

Great opening with Wynn in full on panic mode and Quarles demise was as shocking as it was unexpected. The wrist-gun was not a factor in any way. Surprisingly low body count too.

But boy, that was a somber and downbeat ending as Raylan finally sees how deep the gulf is between his father and himself, as Arlo chooses Boyd over Raylan with a bullet.

#1,505 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/21892976

Surprisingly low body count too.

And that was unfortunate.

Quote:
But boy, that was a somber and downbeat ending as Raylan finally sees how deep the gulf is between his father and himself, as Arlo chooses Boyd over Raylan with a bullet.

The only bright spot of the season-ender.

WAY too predictable, WAY too by-the-numbers episode....easily the worst episode of the season.

#1,506 ·
I thought there was a lot there. Raylan's "interrogation" of Wynn. Boyd actually caring for Arlo. The foreshadowing of Arlo's shooting of trooper Tom. Raylan letting Quarles take the tainted gun back. Limehouse wrapping things up. Quarles "disarmed." Raylan's holding Quarles' arm away from Quarles when he reached for it (a great moment). Discovery of Johnny's betrayal. Eva showing that she is not exactly an innocent, that she will do anything to protect Boyd and that she apparently trusts Johnny. Raylan's realization why Arlo shot Trooper Tom.

Only thing I didn't like was Raylan's voice over at the end. Total change of tone/perspective that the series has never had before and wasn't needed.

#1,507 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero /forum/post/21893062

Only thing I didn't like was Raylan's voice over at the end. Total change of tone/perspective that the series has never had before and wasn't needed.

That wasn't a voiceover, it was Raylan in scene talking to Winona.

#1,508 ·
I hope Dickie didn't join his mom and brothers so we get to see him again next season.

#1,509 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero /forum/post/21893062

I thought there was a lot there. Raylan's "interrogation" of Wynn. Boyd actually caring for Arlo. The foreshadowing of Arlo's shooting of trooper Tom. Raylan letting Quarles take the tainted gun back. Limehouse wrapping things up. Quarles "disarmed." Raylan's holding Quarles' arm away from Quarles when he reached for it (a great moment). Discovery of Johnny's betrayal. Eva showing that she is not exactly an innocent, that she will do anything to protect Boyd and that she apparently trusts Johnny. Raylan's realization why Arlo shot Trooper Tom.

I thought most of it was very anti-climatic; much of it we had guessed or speculated on during the last week.

No real surprises for me....

#1,510 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/21893106

I thought most of it was very anti-climatic; much of it we had guessed or speculated on during the last week.

Sorry, I don't see any evidence of that. Nobody reckoned Limehouse would be the one to take out Quarles, especially by slicing off his arm or guessed Limehouse kept the money in the pig carcasses.

We didn't have any discussion of the fact that Johnny was colluding with Limehouse to take down Boyd either and there was only a vague supposition that Arlo may have fired the shot and the idea that he thought he was shooting Raylan never even occurred. Arlo taking the fall when it was almost solid that Boyd might be back in prison was a last minute play too.

Most people were expecting a standoff with Quarles and the wrist-gun malfunctioning. Instead that was played early and it barely resonated with Raylan. The writers were also ahead of the audience by having Quarles pull the backup from Raylan too which meant in this episode Raylan never fired a single shot. That in itself was against the grain of the show.

#1,511 ·
I had a dream last night I was Raylan and the bad guy wanted me to help cover up his death by faking his death. So I threw him out the window, but it turned out to be a fake body. I thought, to cover it up, I should throw a table out the window after him. I filled out all the paperwork and everything was going good except the supernatural characters from the TV show Grimm showed up and their abilities revealed to the chief that I faked my reports, and the whole thing was blowing up in my face. Then the alarm went off and I woke up.

Man that was weird, I think I watch to much TV.

#1,512 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/21893008

And that was unfortunate.

The only bright spot of the season-ender.

WAY too predictable, WAY too by-the-numbers episode....easily the worst episode of the season.

Hmm...I thought it was the best episode of the series
Seeing tough guy Raylon shaken by the choice Arlo made and trying to deny it changed anything but unable to. Reaching out to his ex, probably the most vulnerable he's ever been, with even her so stunned she doesn't know what to say...the brutal (and perfect!) way Quarrels was taken care of...the obvious deep love between Eva and Boyd as well as the closeness between Boyd and Arlo, in sharp contrast to the turmoil in Raylon's life...our hero hurt and confused, Limehouse almost heroic...predictable? Sorry you didn't like it oink. I loved it.

#1,514 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/21893106

No real surprises for me....

You're apparently smarter than all the critics and recappers on the interweb; none that I read complained about the predicability of the finale. Keeping the show unpredictable is something the writers have worked very hard to achieve; they have seldom settled for the easy out. Congratulations on your perceptive powers and I'm sorry that it ruined your viewing experience.

#1,516 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 /forum/post/21893848

Quick question: did Errol return because he saw Raylan and Quarles in the van and knew something was going down or for another reason? Was he still that loyal to Limehouse even though he was exiled by him?

My take was that Limehouse blamed him for much of the mess, and he felt responsible. Thus he felt obligated to see if he could help.

#1,517 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/21893136

Nobody reckoned Limehouse would be the one to take out Quarles, especially by slicing off his arm or guessed Limehouse kept the money in the pig carcasses.

Limehouse wasn't capable of doing the deed?

Hmmmmmm.....

Was anyone surprised Lime wouldn't eventually USE that meat cleaver rather than merely threaten with it?

Money in the pig?

REALLY?

Quote:
We didn't have any discussion of the fact that Johnny was colluding with Limehouse to take down Boyd either

We didn't, but who is surprised Johnny hadn't forgiven Boyd?

Quote:
there was only a vague supposition that Arlo may have fired the shot

See posts# 1462 & 1470 (where speculation of Arlo's current frame of mind made him capable of killing).

Quote:
the idea that he thought he was shooting Raylan never even occurred.

True.

Quote:
Arlo taking the fall when it was almost solid that Boyd might be back

in prison was a last minute play too.

Boyd is too important to the show to "rot in prison," the show-runners would never allow it.

Quote:
The writers were also ahead of the audience by having Quarles pull the backup from Raylan too which meant in this episode Raylan never fired a single shot. That in itself was against the grain of the show.

Raylan can't shoot someone every show.

Raylan is a federal U.S. Marshall, how long would it take for the character to lose its Suspension of Disbelief?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 /forum/post/21893472

Seeing tough guy Raylon shaken by the choice Arlo made and trying to deny it changed anything but unable to. Reaching out to his ex, probably the most vulnerable he's ever been, with even her so stunned she doesn't know what to say...

That WAS very well done IMO.

Quote:
the obvious deep love between Eva and Boyd as well as the closeness between Boyd and Arlo, in sharp contrast to the turmoil in Raylon's life....

And that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron /forum/post/21893713

You're apparently smarter than all the critics and recappers on the interweb; none that I read complained about the predicability of the finale.

I don't form my opinions based on what any critic's (or anyone else, for that matter) opinion might be.

My opinions are my own.

#1,518 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/21893967

My take was that Limehouse blamed him for much of the mess, and he felt responsible. Thus he felt obligated to see if he could help.

That, and it's his way of getting back on Limehouse's good side.

#1,519 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/21894057

Limehouse wasn't capable of doing the deed?

Hmmmmmm.....

Was anyone surprised Lime wouldn't eventually USE that meat cleaver rather than merely threaten with it?

It was only a matter of time. Limehouse seems to be a lot of bark without much bite. Probably how someone stays alive.

Money in the pig?

REALLY?

Is it because of your username?
I hear porkbellies are a good investment. I wonder how the interest rate is in "piggy banks" (Quarles wasn't so messed up that he couldn't enjoy a joke).

We didn't, but who is surprised Johnny hadn't forgiven Boyd?

Kinda knew that but he also had foiled Devil's plan and saved Boyd so that was a bit of a twist.

See posts# 1462 & 1470 (where speculation of Arlo's current frame of mind made him capable of killing).

True but he seemed out of his mind rather than determined.

True.

That was the big kicker in the show.

Boyd is too important to the show to "rot in prison," the show-runners would never allow it.

Boyd has been in prison several times in the show. I wasn't really sure that Boyd would go down for the killing anyway without someone testifying that it was Boyd who did the shooting or finding the gun with Boyd's fingerprints. This just speeded up the inevitable. I didn't see it as a deus ex machina because Arlo's willingness to go down for Boyd made the ultimate pain for Raylan even worse -- as Boyd told Raylan, Arlo was "family."

Raylan can't shoot someone every show.

Raylan is a federal U.S. Marshall, how long would it take for the character to lose its Suspension of Disbelief?

With all the shootings he's done before, if you haven't suspended belief by now, what the heck?

That WAS very well done IMO.

And that too.

I don't form my opinions based on what any critic's (or anyone else, for that matter) opinion might be.

My opinions are my own.

My brainwashing has apparently worked like a charm!

See above.

#1,521 ·
IMO, this season had some high quality episodes and interesting characters. Liked Quarles and Limehouse. But found the story thread a little confusing down toward the end. Didn't hang together as well as Mags and the boys last year. But still one of the best dramas on TV.

Glad we will see more of Boyd next year. That character and his use of language is wonderful.

#1,522 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/21894057

And that's two posts vaguely alluding to the plot. Where is the discussion for all the other plot directions that you said were discussed in the past week?

Nobody said Limehouse would kill or even pay a part in the death of Quarles. At all.

#1,524 ·
So, did Robert Quaryles bleed out and expire or did they just leave that an open question...can't say I remember.