AVS Forum banner

America's Got Talent Season 7 May 14th, 2012

17K views 445 replies 50 participants last post by  DrLar 
#1 ·
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson /forum/post/21890072

I'm really curious how the Howard Stern situation will go: Will all the controversy (and likely press) improve ratings over last year? Or will those who declare they are boycotting really large enough in numbers to impact ratings?

I can't see a "boycott" being the primary reason for loss of viewers. Much more likely the fact that this is season SEVEN would be the catalyst.

Here's hoping this season has more actual "talent" acts and less random "running around on stage for three minutes" acts. Those flashy acts may be good for a segment on the episode, but they are clearly nothing to base a 1 year contract for a Vegas show on, which is the stated goal of the series.

#4 ·
I don't know if this provides any insight, however, I attended some of the auditions / selection shows this year with Stern on the panel .. he was very overbearing, Howie had to really butt in to get any comments in and Sharon had little to no time to talk ..

Stern just kept talking and talking, and then would interupt Howie and Sharon when they tried to say anything .. Stern has a very commanding voice in person and it seemed he just took over .. don't know how that will play on the actual show ..

As well, Stern was very much a camera hog .. he had no problem getting out of the chair regularly to walk on stage with the contestants .. and he was quite critical, often bordering on outright rude ..

IOW, he was Howard Stern ..

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR /forum/post/21890909

Bring on the talent!!!

I know there are many folks that can't stand the show, but I like it .. it's truly a variety of the good the bad and the ugly .. Gong Show for the new Millenium .. in fact, they should have a gong or a long hook ...

I miss Chuck Barris / the Unknown Comic / Gene Gene the Dancing Machine /

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/21890099

Stern just kept talking and talking, and then would interupt Howie and Sharon when they tried to say anything .. Stern has a very commanding voice in person and it seemed he just took over .. don't know how that will play on the actual show ..

The audition shows are so heavily edited, I suspect they can make it look like the other judges had equal time when it's aired. I really can't see Sharon or Howie putting up with that for long.

I really can't stand the audition shows because I think during the performances they cutaway way too much. They show about 25% performance, 50% judges reactions, and 25% audience reactions.

Once the live shows start then it seems we get to see more of the performances.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson /forum/post/21891025

The audition shows are so heavily edited, I suspect they can probably make it looks like the other judge's get their comments in also when it's aired. I really can't see Sharon or Howie putting up with that for long.

I'm thinking you are right .. my take was from the first 3 days of auditions where the judges were actually there ..

I have to say as well that the shows I went to were pretty disapponting from the standpoint of the audience ..

1) If you were young / dressed cool / female / good looking .. they ushered you to the front immediately ..

2) The warm up guy encouraged audience emotion too much .. which made a large portion of the audience not give most of the acts even 30 seconds of a chance before booing and arm crossing erupted ..

3) Between every second act, a make up break took place so Sharon, Howie and Howard could have two makeup people each come out and do a touch up ..

4) Nick was there but rarely came out .. I'd guess much of his MC duties are dubbed in later ..

#9 ·
I've watched the show since it's inception, however with the addition of Stern I'm taking a break. I'm disappointed the show decided to go in that direction.

mgkdragn - thanks for your comments about the shows you attended. I've always felt the audience played way to much a role and assumed they were encouraged to be as obnoxious as they were.

#10 ·
The premier is two weeks earlier than last year. I wonder if they will have more episodes or whether they will wrap things up earlier this year? Or, are they trying to attract more viewers before the summer vacations start? Either way, warts and all, this is my guilty pleasure for the summer.

It will be interesting to see how the Howard Stern experiment will work. I would have preferred someone with a background in evaluating talent to offset the antics of Howie and give the show a better balance. Sharon will now have the responsibility of reigning in the two clowns on either side of her. I hope the judges don’t become the spotlight of the show and the talent secondary.

#11 ·
We were dedicated viewers of past seasons but no more. The reason is simple - Howard Stern. Stern is a tasteless vulgar man. His is about the most anti-family values, biasted leech working in media today. This creature is so wretched one can almost hear the poisonous bile leaching in the depths of his stomach. The devil haveth a brother, his name is Howard Stern.

Sure my rant was a little over the top yet what better target than Howard Stern.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 /forum/post/21893752

^^^ Uh, you meant to say 'LEECH', right? Because I've never thought of Stern as 'the action of a percolating liquid' (i.e. leach).

Yes, leech is what I intended and now states. Reread my post and have a laugh!.

Thanks

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc /forum/post/21893480

We were dedicated viewers of past seasons but no more. The reason is simple - Howard Stern. Stern is a tasteless vulgar man. His is about the most anti-family values, biasted leech working in media today. This creature is so wretched one can almost hear the poisonous bile leaching in the depths of his stomach. The devil haveth a brother, his name is Howard Stern.

Sure my rant was a little over the top yet what better target than Howard Stern.

A little?? Good god.

I'm watching this year too just because of Howard.

#16 ·
Stern really has no effect on whether I watch the show .. he is what he is .. some say he has brought over a billion dollars of cash flow to Sirius since he started .. and he was a hit way before that ..

Like him or not, in this era of plastic / fake / hyped celebrity, Stern says what he thinks, does not pander and could care less what most think of him .. and he makes a lot of money doing it ..

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/21890931

I know there are many folks that can't stand the show, but I like it .. it's truly a variety of the good the bad and the ugly .. Gong Show for the new Millenium .. in fact, they should have a gong or a long hook ...

I miss Chuck Barris / the Unknown Comic / Gene Gene the Dancing Machine /

I love that STUFF!!!

PS. I watched when Jerry-freaking-Springer was the host, but I will not watch anything with Stern in it.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum /forum/post/21897020

A little?? Good god.

I'm watching this year too just because of Howard.

My post was purposely over the top. At one time I was a big fan of Howard's yet my wife bitterly detested him. Having been successfully married for almost 33 years there are some battles best not fought. Stern thrives on negative comments so my rant would only feed his ego.
. I hope you and all viewers enjoy the show. After the debut I have no doubt there will be immediate commentary regarding his impact on AGT.

#19 ·
We live in a world where a large portion of so called celebrities thrive on controversy .. that's how they remain so called celebrities .. and much of it is invented or staged ..

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc /forum/post/21897619

After the debut I have no doubt there will be immediate commentary regarding his impact on AGT.

I, for one, welcome the change. I prefer to see Howard Stern vs Piers Morgan. At least with Howard Stern, you know he's saying what's really on his mind and he doesn't care what you think. With Piers Morgan, you always get that impression he says what he does because he wants to be a dick, and he's not even very good at being that, anyway.

#22 ·

I, for one, welcome the change. I prefer to see Howard Stern vs Piers Morgan. At least with Howard Stern, you know he's saying what's really on his mind and he doesn't care what you think. With Piers Morgan, you always get that impression he says what he does because he wants to be a dick, and he's not even very good at being that, anyway.[/QUOTE]

Nice ..

#23 ·
Howard Stern = Much ado about nothing. AGT is a family show. They also have censors. They edit like crazy. So you aren’t going to get the vulgar, over-the-top shtick you hear on the radio. I don’t know how Howard can be more cutting and to the point than Piers was, but I do expect him to be brutally honest like Piers.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens /forum/post/21898259

Howard Stern = Much ado about nothing. AGT is a family show. They also have censors. They edit like crazy. So you aren't going to get the vulgar, over-the-top shtick you hear on the radio. I don't know how Howard can be more cutting and to the point than Piers was, but I do expect him to be brutally honest like Piers.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to believe we would .. the Howard Haters Club are folks that simply hate Howard .. clean / dirty / censored / uncensored / etc .. even during the audition phase, there was nothing in the tapings Howard said that could not be used on air .. he knows it's a family show .. although, I'm sure there will be a BLEEP once in a while ..

#25 ·
I'll add another little insight on the live audition shows .. Sharon spits out the profanity as well as any sailor during break periods .. Howie and Howard were both quite clean ...

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens /forum/post/21898259

Howard Stern = Much ado about nothing. AGT is a family show. They also have censors. They edit like crazy. So you aren't going to get the vulgar, over-the-top shtick you hear on the radio.

I don't know if you have Sirius, but if you do, maybe try tuning in one day sometime. He's really much more tame today than he was 10 years ago. His show isn't even really that outrageous, especially compared to some of the other radio shows Sirius offers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.