AVS Forum banner
150K views 795 replies 146 participants last post by  cindyh 
#1 ·
I dont get it why sony didnt make this model with the monolithic design since is better than the nx720 , had anybody took a look to this especific model yet ?

#554 ·
I have a couple of foreign films (mp4) that also have separate subtitle files (.srt). Does anyone know if there is a way to get the HX729 to show the subtitles while playing the movie? I know that I could use a converter to hardcode the subs into the mp4 but these converters usually take hours to complete the job.

Thanks.

#556 ·
The vertical bars on my second 65hx729 were just driving me crazy. Even though it was better than the first one I just couldn't take it anymore. I decided to swap it for a 65hx929 and after waiting two months it was finally delivered this morning. I'll hook it up after work - fingers crossed.

#557 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmlot93 /forum/post/21839444

The vertical bars on my second 65hx729 were just driving me crazy. Even though it was better than the first one I just couldn't take it anymore. I decided to swap it for a 65hx929 and after waiting two months it was finally delivered this morning. I'll hook it up after work - fingers crossed.

Quite the upgrade there! Totally different TV, but should be nice.. enjoy it!

#558 ·
Guys I saw this product and decided to give it a try. Its a Mololith Glass like the Gorilla Glass maybe better I'd say, and man was I impressed it worked perfect on my sisters EX720 which is physicaly similar to the HX729. Actualy the viewing angles improved dramaticaly too, clouding and flashlighting were seriously reduced, i wanna say eliminated cause I really cant see anymore halowing due to local dimming and corner leakage. Best is the blacks seriously improved AMAZING stuff...... The picture had a glow kinda like Samsung LED sets overall best to describe is that the EX720 ended looking stunning kinda like a HX820 with Gorila Glass and opticontrast...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170822135944...84.m1555.l2649

#559 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF /forum/post/21887830

Guys I saw this product and decided to give it a try. Its a Mololith Glass like the Gorilla Glass maybe better I'd say, and man was I impressed it worked perfect on my sisters EX720 which is physicaly similar to the HX729. Actualy the viewing angles improved dramaticaly too, clouding and flashlighting were seriously reduced, i wanna say eliminated cause I really cant see anymore halowing due to local dimming and corner leakage. Best is the blacks seriously improved AMAZING stuff...... The picture had a glow kinda like Samsung LED sets overall best to describe is that the EX720 ended looking stunning kinda like a HX820 with Gorila Glass and opticontrast...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170822135944...84.m1555.l2649

I wouldn't want to bother with this. My 729 has a great picture and is good-looking as it is. Listing is now removed. I saw this link at the 820 thread.

#563 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexdr /forum/post/21897632

Managed to snap the 46' up for $999 (like 650 off) on the recent futureshop sale! Should arrive today...cant wait haha. Any good settings for these sets around?

I'm one of the few who have left most settings alone. I did disable ambient sensor (if that's what it's called) which by default is on and therefore the picture is too dark. Do your updates first since the settings will change in any event. Enjoy! My 55HX729 was $1399 during Black Friday w/e.

#565 ·
Hey all...

Just registered for the site after reading all 19 pages of this thread. Really great info on here. So far, luckily, I have experienced no issues with my HX model. Had it about 2 months now. Very happy so far (except I think I should have gone with the 55 incher). I've used the settings described by 2 or 3 people in this thread and have found them very helpful. I'm still not 100% satisfied with my settings... but don't know if I ever will be. Kind of just saying hello, hopefully you'll see my name in these threads more often. Thanks for all the info

#566 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJRHARTLEY /forum/post/22034738

Hey all...

Just registered for the site after reading all 19 pages of this thread. Really great info on here. So far, luckily, I have experienced no issues with my HX model. Had it about 2 months now. Very happy so far (except I think I should have gone with the 55 incher). I've used the settings described by 2 or 3 people in this thread and have found them very helpful. I'm still not 100% satisfied with my settings... but don't know if I ever will be. Kind of just saying hello, hopefully you'll see my name in these threads more often. Thanks for all the info

Welcome! it's a great TV, isn't it? Are you taking advantage of the 3D? If you're looking for a really super 3D movie that's actually stupid fun, try "Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D" or "A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas." "Journey to the Center..." has pop-out effects every 5 minutes or less. I enjoy subtle 3D as well. Overall, it is a very nice set with a beautiful picture.

#568 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Biter /forum/post/22042842

My 46" HX729 prompted me for a new software update. Does anyone know what was changed in this update? Ever since updating the software, my Macbook Pro will not connect to the TV anymore.

Never mind, the culprit was the cable.

Curious, How do you connect the MBP to your 729? I have an iMac late 2009 and a MBP Early 2011 using Airport Extreme as my N network. The only way I connect my Macs to my 55HX729 is through Apple TV. All my devices except my PSP accept the WPA 2 security and I have no difficulty getting everything else online (TVs, BD players, etc). But connecting my Macs to the TV-nope-didn't know I could.

#569 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans /forum/post/22034793

Welcome! it's a great TV, isn't it? Are you taking advantage of the 3D? If you're looking for a really super 3D movie that's actually stupid fun, try "Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D" or "A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas." "Journey to the Center..." has pop-out effects every 5 minutes or less. I enjoy subtle 3D as well. Overall, it is a very nice set with a beautiful picture.

Thanks Steve Ans. I am enjoying it. I feel stupid for asking this, but I'm still very much in the stage of trying to find the right settings. When people refer to "cinema 1" and "cinema 2" and the other options in that category... am I doing something wrong? My picture mode options are only "standard" and "custom". Where can you access these other modes? I can change the "scene", is that what everyone is referring to?

#570 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJRHARTLEY /forum/post/22052344

Thanks Steve Ans. I am enjoying it. I feel stupid for asking this, but I'm still very much in the stage of trying to find the right settings. When people refer to "cinema 1" and "cinema 2" and the other options in that category... am I doing something wrong? My picture mode options are only "standard" and "custom". Where can you access these other modes? I can change the "scene", is that what everyone is referring to?

In advanced settings, you can select color temperature including warm 1, warm 2, neutral (my favorite), or cool. The iManual is a little confusing. The automatic, general, cinema, sports, music, animation, photo, game settings are under Preferences > Scene Select.

I DO remember Cinema 1, Cinema 2 but can't access this. maybe someone else can step in. Perhaps the software updates changed this?

#571 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans /forum/post/22053269

In advanced settings, you can select color temperature including warm 1, warm 2, neutral (my favorite), or cool. The iManual is a little confusing. The automatic, general, cinema, sports, music, animation, photo, game settings are under Preferences > Scene Select.

I DO remember Cinema 1, Cinema 2 but can't access this. maybe someone else can step in. Perhaps the software updates changed this?

Ok, good... so I'm not crazy! I've got a handle on accessing everything you mentioned. Like you, I can access "cinema" in the "scene" section, just not a "cinema 1" and "cinema 2". Thanks for the help!

#572 ·
I found these settings in the HX929 calibration forum. I tried them just to try them, and because a lot of people in that thread were very preferable to them, and I like them very much. Please let me know what you think. The only difference is that I set motionflow to "clear", as opposed to the "off" setting recommended by the poster.

Setting Memory - (Common)

Scene Select - (Cinema)

Picture Mode - (Cinema 2)

Backlight - (1)

Picture - (78)

Brightness - (50)

Color - (53)

Hue - (G1)

Color Temperature - (Warm 2)

Sharpness - (42)

Noise Reduction - (Off)

MPEG Noise Reduction - (Off)

Dot Noise Reduction - (Off)

Reality Creation - (Manual)

Resolution - (10)

Noise Filtering - (Min)

Smooth Gradation - (Off)

Motion Flow - (Off)

CineMotion - (Auto 1)

Advanced Settings

Black Corrector - (Off)

Adv. Contrast Enhancer - (Off)

Gamma - (0)

LED Dynamic Control - (Standard)

Auto Light Limiter - (Off)

Clear White - (Off)

Live Color - (Off)

Detail Enhancer - (Off)

Edge Enhancer - (Off)

Skin Naturalizer - (Greyed Out)

i/p Conversion Preference - (Greyed Out)

White Balance

R-Gain - (-5)

G-Gain - (0)

B-Gain - (-4)

R-Bias - (0)

G-Bias - (0)

B-Bias - (0)

Screen Settings

Wide Mode - (Full)

Auto Wide - (Off)

4:3 Default - (Greyed Out)

Auto Display Area - (Full Pixel)

Screen Position - (Greyed Out)

Vertical Size - (Greyed Out)

Pro Picture Setup

Color Matrix - (Auto)

HDMI Dynamic Range - (Auto)

SBM - (Off)

#573 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans /forum/post/22053269

Steve Ans... I did find "Cinema 1" and "cinema 2". The pop up as options in the picture settings menu, but only after you change the scene to "Cinema". That solves that problem for me.

#574 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJRHARTLEY /forum/post/22053742

Steve Ans... I did find "Cinema 1" and "cinema 2". The pop up as options in the picture settings menu, but only after you change the scene to "Cinema". That solves that problem for me.

That's it! Thanks! The audio gets a little "echoy" on my receiver during the cinema modes. Thanks for the reminder. I really forgot about it since I leave the setting on standard most always. Enjoy your TV!

#575 ·
I have seen a couple of discussions of this in the thread, but with no concrete resolution. I see horizontal and vertical grid lines on solid backgrounds. They are especially noticeable during any sort of panning. Attached is a photo of a grey background where they are particularly prominent. The rightmost edge of the two horizontal bars can sometimes be seen even in normal content.

Now at least two users have described similar problems in the thread. Apparently one might have given up after a couple of exchanges, and the other initially called Sony (who said it was normal) yet when a technician came out they concluded it was not normal and replaced the panel.

I'm still within the first 30 days of owning it. I have not changed any of the default settings except to turn off the ambient sensor.

I would appreciate your thoughts. This is my first LED tv, and while I understand LCD panels vary from one to another, is this photo normal behavior for the tv or the product of something gone wrong?

#576 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojones /forum/post/22054325

I have seen a couple of discussions of this in the thread, but with no concrete resolution. I see horizontal and vertical grid lines on solid backgrounds. They are especially noticeable during any sort of panning. Attached is a photo of a grey background where they are particularly prominent. The rightmost edge of the two horizontal bars can sometimes be seen even in normal content.

Now at least two users have described similar problems in the thread. Apparently one might have given up after a couple of exchanges, and the other initially called Sony (who said it was normal) yet when a technician came out they concluded it was not normal and replaced the panel.

I'm still within the first 30 days of owning it. I have not changed any of the default settings except to turn off the ambient sensor.

I would appreciate your thoughts. This is my first LED tv, and while I understand LCD panels vary from one to another, is this photo normal behavior for the tv or the product of something gone wrong?

Hi Loco...

I can't say whether or not this is in the range of "normal" (as I do not have this issue on my unit), however I would assume that the level with which you seem to be experiencing the problem would fall into a range of "defect". I couldn't live with that sort of problem. It strikes me as fairly egregious. For whatever it's worth.

#577 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans /forum/post/22043318

Curious, How do you connect the MBP to your 729? I have an iMac late 2009 and a MBP Early 2011 using Airport Extreme as my N network. The only way I connect my Macs to my 55HX729 is through Apple TV. All my devices except my PSP accept the WPA 2 security and I have no difficulty getting everything else online (TVs, BD players, etc). But connecting my Macs to the TV-nope-didn't know I could.

Sorry, I didn't catch your question earlier. I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro that has the new thunderbolt/mini-displayport connection. Using an mini-displayport to HDMI adapter and cable, you can directly connect to the TV. The HX729 is great because it allows 1:1:1 chroma sub-sampling, and allows both audio and video to be piped to the TV.

#578 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Biter /forum/post/22068716

Sorry, I didn't catch your question earlier. I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro that has the new thunderbolt/mini-displayport. Using an mini-displayport to HDMI adapter and cable, you can directly connect to the TV. The HX729 is great because it allows 1:1:1 chroma sub-sampling, and allows both audio and video to be piped to the TV.

Thanks, I will give this a try soon. I have to get the HDMI adaptor and cable'

What I was referring to earlier was how to connect your Mac OS X wirelessly like you can with Windows for PS3 for photos, etc. But that's what Apple TV does.

#579 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojones /forum/post/22054325

I have seen this VERY rarely and IMO, you're looking at the "channels" for the LEDs or some other normal structure. You'll most likely see this on any set built the same. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.