AVS Forum banner
1M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  glangford 
#1 ·
All things 110/210/310 here! Who has received theirs so far? What do you like? What could they improve? gogogo!

edit: my first impressions after a 30 minute test session:

Im a total noob when it comes to this 3d stuff and blu-ray players and whatnot, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I just got the BDT110 today, upgrading from a BDT100 that I only played with a couple times before selling it on ebay. The 100 was my first blu-ray, and this is my first experience with plasma technology and 3d technology. I got the Panasonic 50GT25 3d plasma just a couple weeks ago. This is just going to be a stream of consciousness of things I noticed in my quick 30 minute test drive...

Setup and updating the firmware was simple through my ethernet connection. I read a review on amazon where the dude said he wasn't able to do it over the internet and had to burn some iso disc to update his firmware and it was a big pain, but I had no such issues.

Right off the bat I started having quite a lot of handshake issues w/ my Onkyo receiver when switching back and forth between 2d and 2d-->3d conversion. When I'd switch, it would get a static screen, then a green screen, then it would go blank. Then, I'd hear only audio with a blank picture. "HDMI handshake" problems is the correct term for this, right? I'd have to restart everything and it kept happening--it was quite frustrating. I think there are firmware updates to fix this, correct? I don't think this ever happened with my BDT100. Any suggestions?

As far as the 2d-->3d conversion, it seems to do a better job converting a blu-ray than my 50GT25 does, so that's pretty neat. I tried it on Toy Story 3 blu-ray and it looked pretty cool. Not as good as a true 3d blu-ray naturally, but pretty neat nonetheless. I tried doing 2d-3d from Netflix content by pushing the "3d" button, but it nothing happened (or did it say "this feature not available"?). So I'm not sure if you can convert that content to 3d.

Another thing that may turn out cool is that you can put a vignette around the picture in 3d. Have you ever noticed how the edges on a 3d blu-ray can sometimes look real distracting how one eye will have the image off of the screen and the other eye the edge of the image will be on the screen? I'm sure there's a name for this but all i know is that it can really take away from the movie at times. Anyway, the 110 has an upgrade (from the 100) where you can put a black/gray/blue/red vignette around the edges so that edge artifact is nearly gone.

I'll have to play with the settings to get everything looking optimal, as there are so many damn things you can tweak (i.e., depth, .

The interface is really slick looking and seems intuitive. The Netflix upgrade from the 100 is great. You can now browse all titles, rather than just look at your instant queue and their suggestions. One thing that seems to be missing is that you can't browse just by HD content.

I tried burning an .mkv file of a blu-ray movie to a DVD-R and playing it, and although the resolution of the picture itself looked stellar, no audio was coming through and the video was really choppy, speeding up then slowing down. This is the first time I have ever burned any mkv files so it is distinctly possible that I did something wrong and this is of no fault of the player itself. Just throwing this out there...

A minor thing that kept pissing me off... When I'd put a movie in, I tried to press the "top menu" button to skip the previews and go right to the title menu of the movie, but it never seemed to work? I had to manually fast forward through previews and whatnot. I'm sure this is something I was doing wrong probably.

I'll update as I think of more things.

See less See more
#7,585 ·
Thanks, I have tried all that but done it again just to make sure and nothing :-(.

However I tried something else this morning which makes me think the Kenwood no longer likes the Panny (even though it has worked in the past).

I connected the Panny to the TV directly for audio and video through HDMI AV MAIN, confirmed sound and picture. I then unplugged it from the TV and plugged it in the Kenwood and nothing no picture or sound! That would suggest to me that the Kenwood is not liking any of the output from the Panny.

I then just to make sure I was getting sound from the HDMI AV SUB, changed the setting on the Panny to V.Off, etc. connected AV SUB directly to the TV and sure enough from the TV no picture (as it should be) but sound. Therefore there is nothing wrong with the settings on the Panny or anything wrong with its connectors.

So even though it has worked in the past, I can only assume the Kenwood no longer likes any incoming signals from the Panny.

That has really p****d me off
. The only way I can seem to get sound to the Kenwood from the Panny is to connect the Panny directly to the TV with HDMI AV MAIN and then connect the Panny's opitcal to the optical on the Kenwood.

What is the point of spending lots of money on various pieces of kit if they don't like each other? Not happy in the slightest.

Darin.

P.S. If I have no choice but to change my receiver, has anyone had any problems with the Sony STR-DH520?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov /forum/post/21898394

There are two required settings for the HDMI SUB: No Video (HDMI V.Sub Out = Off - a LED will light on the display), and HDMI SUB Audio = ON. Compression, downmix, reformat, etc should all be off as your receiver can handle whatever it tossed at it (and it should output high res sound anyway by default with those settings like that). IF this doesn't work, then try flipping the audio out toggle on the HDMI (main) off- but that's over ridden by the HDMI Sub settings (meaning it should cut off the audio on the HDMI Main when the Sub is set to Video Off).

#7,586 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers3 /forum/post/0

Thanks, I have tried all that but done it again just to make sure and nothing :-(.

However I tried something else this morning which makes me think the Kenwood no longer likes the Panny (even though it has worked in the past).

I connected the Panny to the TV directly for audio and video through HDMI AV MAIN, confirmed sound and picture. I then unplugged it from the TV and plugged it in the Kenwood and nothing no picture or sound! That would suggest to me that the Kenwood is not liking any of the output from the Panny.

I then just to make sure I was getting sound from the HDMI AV SUB, changed the setting on the Panny to V.Off, etc. connected AV SUB directly to the TV and sure enough from the TV no picture (as it should be) but sound. Therefore there is nothing wrong with the settings on the Panny or anything wrong with its connectors.

So even though it has worked in the past, I can only assume the Kenwood no longer likes any incoming signals from the Panny.

. The only way I can seem to get sound to the Kenwood from the Panny is to connect the Panny directly to the TV with HDMI AV MAIN and then connect the Panny's opitcal to the optical on the Kenwood.

What is the point of spending lots of money on various pieces of kit if they don't like each other? Not happy in the slightest.

Darin.

P.S. If I have no choice but to change my receiver, has anyone had any problems with the Sony STR-DH520?

if you want to keep your HK get rid of the Panny and get the Sony BDP-S790. I had problems with weak Panny HDMI board combined with a weak Pioneer HDMI board. No problems since I switced to Sony.

#7,587 ·
Your receiver has specific settings for HDMI and each HDMI port, if the interlinks are on etc, and you can control what each input does/expects to do. So if the HDMI that the panny is connected to expects Video and Audio, it might not function correctly, and interlink settings might be incompatible. Maybe revisiting the settings (as outlined on pg 40 of the pdf manual would help. http://images.kenwood.eu/files/prod/..._7300D_ENG.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers3 /forum/post/21901369

Darin.

#7,589 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers3 /forum/post/21905556

I thought of that as well. But if I connect the Panny HDMI MAIN to the Kenwood HDMI1 and make sure the Kenwood is set on A/V I should get both video and sound but I get absolutely nothing :-(

Sorry to hear that, have you called Panasonic customer support? Maybe they'll swap the unit for you, it simply sounds defective.

(I love virtually thumbing the manuals of other people's receivers, as I only have a 6.1 AVR and it doesn't do the latest 7.1 audio codecs. I don't trust sales people to actually know what they're talking about, and I need phono inputs as well as regular stereo inputs. So, I'm looking at newer models based on what people here post. Though I would rather skip 7.1 and go to 9.1. I'm thinking of buying another 5.1 speaker setup and combining it with my current one to make a 10/9.2 setup, but there seem not to be very many 9.2 AVR and the prices are damaging though I did find a new Dennon 40% off on ebay...)

#7,590 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers3 /forum/post/21905556

I thought of that as well. But if I connect the Panny HDMI MAIN to the Kenwood HDMI1 and make sure the Kenwood is set on A/V I should get both video and sound but I get absolutely nothing :-(

I have somewhat similar setup to you. I have the Panasonic 310 with the main hdmi out to my overhead projector and the sub hdmi out to my Marantz SR5005 receiver for audio. I also have a 7.1 speaker system. I had recently upgraded my blueray from an older Panasonic BD player. The results have been a great picture and hi def sound.

In addition to settings on the Panny to turn video off on the sub and audio off on the main you have to make sure your receiver's inputs are correctly aligned as another posting has said. I had no sound at first but when I went into my Marantz menu and matched the hdmi input with input from the bluray player it worked like a charm.

In principle you should have to only run one hdmi cable from your Panasonic 310 (main) for both sound and audio to your receiver if it has hdmi 1.3 or higher hdmi out to your television. In my case my receiver needed a 35 foot hdmi run to my overhead projector which really is too long and I sometimes lost signal. It worked much better for video to go directly to the front projector from the Panny main for me.

It is possible that you have a defective Panasonic 310 but I think it is more likel;y the problem is in the settings which have to matchup with both the receiver and the player.

John

#7,591 ·
Thanks John.

I thought it might be a defective Panny but the thing that rules that out I think is that if I connect the Panny via its HDMI MAIN directly to the TV then I get picture and sound. If I attach the Panny directly to the TV via is HDMI SUB I only get sound (which is correct). So I know the Panny is outputting exactly what it is supposed to.

I think it is just a case of the Kenwood not accepting the signal for some reason. I did note that when the Panny is connected to the Kenwood and I get no signal, when I press the display button on the Kenwood remote the Kenwood does not report "No signal" (like it does when there is nothing connected) but it reports "Unknown".

Anyway I have taken the plunge and bought a Pioneer VSX 826 K. I hope I get better results with that!

Darin.

#7,592 ·
Darin,

I don't mean to insult anyone's wizardry with their own equipment, but have you checked your Kenwood settings to confirm that its A/V mode/function is indeed mapped to its HDMI2 port? I recall in an earlier post you were using the Kenwood's HDMI2 port for the Panny BD player.

#7,593 ·
Hi Sgooter

No offence taken!

Yep checked that. In fact If I disconnect the Panny from the Kenwood and attached the PS3 without changing any settings on the Kenwood and picture and sound came through no problem. Re-attached the Panny and nothing, and the Kenwood reports "Unknown". I think the fact that on very, VERY rare occasions it will work says to me that it is a handshake problem with the Kenwood. Such a shame as the Kenwood 7.1 amp is so good....anyway looking forward to receiving the Pioneer VSX 826 K this week, hopefully with no such problems! Any one in Barcelona/Sitges would like to purchase a Kenwood KRF-V7300D (as long as you don't have a Panny DMP-BDT310? LOL

Darin.

#7,594 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers3 /forum/post/21908742

...Any one in Barcelona/Sitges would like to purchase a Kenwood KRF-V7300D (as long as you don't have a Panny DMP-BDT310? LOL

Darin.

Wow, haven't heard Sitges mentioned in a long time. Spent a few memorable weekends there -- while flying out of Zaragoza for periodic weapons training.

#7,595 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers3 /forum/post/0

Hi Sgooter

No offence taken!

Yep checked that. In fact If I disconnect the Panny from the Kenwood and attached the PS3 without changing any settings on the Kenwood and picture and sound came through no problem. Re-attached the Panny and nothing, and the Kenwood reports "Unknown". I think the fact that on very, VERY rare occasions it will work says to me that it is a handshake problem with the Kenwood. Such a shame as the Kenwood 7.1 amp is so good....anyway looking forward to receiving the Pioneer VSX 826 K this week, hopefully with no such problems! Any one in Barcelona/Sitges would like to purchase a Kenwood KRF-V7300D (as long as you don't have a Panny DMP-BDT310? LOL

Darin.

This is exactly what was posted by the member with the marantz, you state that it works fine with the ps3 with both sound and video, but as he and I stated, and possibly indicated by the unknown displayed on the set is that the avr is expecting a different device handshake with both audio and video. Do you really change the hdmi to audio only on the avr?

#7,596 ·
Hi Sbsidlov

You cannot change the Kenwood to audio only. It only has three settings as follows:

Off - turns HDMI off and engages the second optical input for sound.

Video - accepts video only through the HDMI

A/V - accepts both video and sound through the HDMI.

There is no setting just to accept audio.

Despite all that though, even if I attach the Panny (set to put out picture and sound through its AV MAIN) to the Kenwood and setting the Kenwood to A/V to accept both sound and video, I get neither picture nor sound and I know the Kenwood is set right as if I unplug the Panny and attach the PS3 into Kenwood's same HDMI socket I get picture and sound immediately.

It cannot be a problem with the Panny as if I then immediately plug the Panny into the TV directly I get both picture and sound.

Darin.

#7,597 ·
Oops, I re-read the Kenwood's HDMI section, I stand corrected. IMO, that explains why UNKNOWN is displayed when the HDMI SUB is set to audio only as the Kenwood simply doesn't understand the Panny's HDMI handshake. Is the HDMI Link setting set to Off? (I think it should be.) I find it curious that the HDMI main (or the sub for that matter) doesn't work in full AV mode. Makes me want to ask for a full reset of both units (but that would be a PITA for the kenwood, I imagine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers3 /forum/post/21911689

Hi Sbsidlov

You cannot change the Kenwood to audio only. It only has three settings as follows:

Despite all that though, even if I attach the Panny (set to put out picture and sound through its AV MAIN) to the Kenwood and setting the Kenwood to A/V to accept both sound and video, I get neither picture nor sound and I know the Kenwood is set right as if I unplug the Panny and attach the PS3 into Kenwood's same HDMI socket I get picture and sound immediately.

It cannot be a problem with the Panny as if I then immediately plug the Panny into the TV directly I get both picture and sound.

Darin.

#7,598 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers3 /forum/post/21911689

Hi Sbsidlov

Darin.

Do you have the Kenwood's HDMI out connected to the TV? My first thought is the Kenwood's looking for video parameters in order to accept the signal. If not, perhaps try connecting the Kenwood's HDMI out to an unused HDMI input port on the TV.

#7,601 ·
I have a BDT-110 with a dongle and through my router it picks up and plays on my TV any YouTube program I have saved through my computer so there is a connection there but when I play a movie on my computer I cannot get it up to my TV.

Is there any way I can see on TV whatever I am looking at on my computer?

....Ott

#7,602 ·
Has anyone tried playing a DVD-R or DVD+R? I'm trying to create a slideshow and have burned it to both types of discs but my player says it's incompatible. I have the 110. Thanks

#7,603 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott Gangl /forum/post/21928244

I have a BDT-110 with a dongle and through my router it picks up and plays on my TV any YouTube program I have saved through my computer so there is a connection there but when I play a movie on my computer I cannot get it up to my TV.

....Ott

Not possible.

#7,604 ·
Ott,

Why not connect your computer directly to your TV? There are wireless senders that work very well and even relay keyboard/mouse commands back to your PC.

RY35AN,

Did you finalize them? What do you mean by slideshow, just individual jpg's or something else? Panny has it's own slideshow app which should play your jpg files.

#7,605 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers3 /forum/post/21908742

Hi Sgooter

No offence taken!

Darin.

Well the Pioneer VSX 826 K arrived and I have no problems with getting the sound and/or picture through it, therefore I can only assume the the Kenwood was definitely at fault. Buyers beware if you have a Panny 310!

#7,606 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott Gangl /forum/post/21928244

....Ott

Perhaps PlayOn would work ( http://www.playon.tv/ ). They list a number of directly supported devices that does not include the Panasonic Blu-Ray players, but there is still hope. Here is what they say about other devices:

Quote:
PlayOn will work on a number of other DLNA-compliant devices.

Keep in mind, we can't test every DLNA compliant device out there, but most of them are compatible with PlayOn. Share your feedback with us and other users in our Media Devices forum.

I believe you can get a free demo for a week or so.

#7,607 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers3 /forum/post/21930278

Well the Pioneer VSX 826 K arrived and I have no problems with getting the sound and/or picture through it, therefore I can only assume the the Kenwood was definitely at fault. Buyers beware if you have a Panny 310!

The Pioneers VSX series are superb AVRs - glad to hear it solved the problem - enjoy!

#7,609 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 /forum/post/21934373

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I initially thought I could hook up my external HD to this player, yet there is no connectivity, perhaps it's in the wrong format or I need a driver of some kind, I'm not sure, but would appreciate any help.

It needs to be externally powered and FAT32 formatted (this year's models can handle NTSF). The BD player's USB connection doesn't have sufficient power to run an HDD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.