AVS Forum banner

America's Got Talent Season 7 May 14th, 2012

17K views 445 replies 50 participants last post by  DrLar 
#1 ·
#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens /forum/post/0

Howard Stern = Much ado about nothing. AGT is a family show. They also have censors. They edit like crazy. So you aren't going to get the vulgar, over-the-top shtick you hear on the radio. I don't know how Howard can be more cutting and to the point than Piers was, but I do expect him to be brutally honest like Piers.

Howard hater. You probably have never listened. I for once will tune in because of Howard. I've heard he is bringing this show up a notch.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barana2080 /forum/post/21900677

Howard hater.

How am I a Howard hater? Its true I haven't listened to him in years, and maybe he is tamer than he used to be, but from my viewpoint I'm defending him by saying that having him on the show is being overblown. Also, just because I would like to have someone similar to Piers doesn't mean I have anything against Howard. As I wrote earlier, my concern comes from the egos of Howie and Howard vying for camera time.

#30 ·
I'm thinking this could get interesting as the show get closer to air.

Even though the press doesn't like giving exposure to their competition, I think there will be some reports of people boycotting the show and the show's advertisers. I've been reading posts on other forums and it seems many feel that way.

But that controversy may well be just want NBC wants. I wonder how many will tune in just to see what's the controversy all about and what Howard might say?

#31 ·
As mentioned previously, Stern has mellowed with age .. I guess a lot of folks still remember him from the "KIng of All Media" days ..

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/21902320

As mentioned previously, Stern has mellowed with age .. I guess a lot of folks still remember him from the "KIng of All Media" days ..

That is the Howard Stern I remember.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr /forum/post/21900665

I don't know if you have Sirius, but if you do, maybe try tuning in one day sometime. He's really much more tame today than he was 10 years ago. His show isn't even really that outrageous, especially compared to some of the other radio shows Sirius offers.

Actually the show does have WAY too much swearing/obscenity, though hardly any comes from Stern. He tried to check that when he first arrived at Sirius, but allowing airtime for characters like Debbie doesn't help matters.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens /forum/post/21893392

The premier is two weeks earlier than last year. I wonder if they will have more episodes or whether they will wrap things up earlier this year? Or, are they trying to attract more viewers before the summer vacations start? Either way, warts and all, this is my guilty pleasure for the summer.

It will be interesting to see how the Howard Stern experiment will work. I would have preferred someone with a background in evaluating talent to offset the antics of Howie and give the show a better balance. Sharon will now have the responsibility of reigning in the two clowns on either side of her. I hope the judges don't become the spotlight of the show and the talent secondary.

That will be up to the editors. Stern has said that his mission on the show is to find talent, a job that he takes seriously. In fact he has critiqued Howie for goofing around too much/not choosing serious contestants to advance.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/21890099

I don't know if this provides any insight, however, I attended some of the auditions / selection shows this year with Stern on the panel .. he was very overbearing, Howie had to really butt in to get any comments in and Sharon had little to no time to talk ..

Stern just kept talking and talking, and then would interupt Howie and Sharon when they tried to say anything .. Stern has a very commanding voice in person and it seemed he just took over .. don't know how that will play on the actual show ..

As well, Stern was very much a camera hog .. he had no problem getting out of the chair regularly to walk on stage with the contestants .. and he was quite critical, often bordering on outright rude ..

IOW, he was Howard Stern ..

It sounds like he's actually trying to earn his money, unlike some of the other "judges" on singing shows. And really, it is his first time doing this so he probably should be given a little bit of time to find his "judging" voice. I would rather he do this rather than sit back and take it easy. During these auditions Stern's participation can always be scaled back in the editing room.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M /forum/post/21902580

It sounds like he's actually trying to earn his money, unlike some of the other "judges" on singing shows. And really, it is his first time doing this so he probably should be given a little bit of time to find his "judging" voice. I would rather he do this rather than sit back and take it easy. During these auditions Stern's participation can always be scaled back in the editing room.

Sorry if my info on Howard seemed critical .. I actually enjoyed it during the taping ..

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/21902713

Sorry if my info on Howard seemed critical .. I actually enjoyed it during the taping ..

Since I'm not attending the tapings, I am only worried about how entertaining it is on tv. I don't know if you've attended any other live show tapings like this, but I've heard they can be rather tedious-like what we heard about the X Factor auditions.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M /forum/post/21902738

Since I'm not attending the tapings, I am only worried about how entertaining it is on tv. I don't know if you've attended any other live show tapings like this, but I've heard they can be rather tedious-like what we heard about the X Factor auditions.

I have been to other show tapings .. in the case of AGT they did a pretty good job .. about 15 minutes from one act to the next .. in between, the warm up guy kept it lively, tossed out some free junk ..

Main problem was the audience just would not give much time before booing / arm crossing .. sometimes just a few seconds ..

#41 ·
I just hope this year a person/group other than a singer wins.. it seems to be that if you aren't a singer don't even try...

Season 1. Child Singer

Season 2. Singer (well they claimed ventriloqist but singer anyway)

Season 3. Opera Singer

Season 4. Country Singer

Season 5. "Regular" Singer

Season 6. Singer (Landau)

#42 ·
It's interesting to note that other than Jackie Evansho (who did not win), who has sold a lot of albums .. the rest have really kinda been flops .. probably the worst being Kevin Skinner, who I never thought could sing anyway ..

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/21903106

It's interesting to note that other than Jackie Evansho (who did not win), who has sold a lot of albums .. the rest have really kinda been flops .. probably the worst being Kevin Skinner, who I never thought could sing anyway ..

Well, Britain's Got Talent has been somewhat fruitful, and has another Susan Boyle type on this season. And really the criteria to measure success should include the "million dollar Vegas act" angle. I guess the ventriloquist was also a success then.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M /forum/post/21903162

And really the criteria to measure success should include the "million dollar Vegas act" angle. I guess the ventriloquist was also a success then.

No question about it. I really enjoyed his DVD.

On May 13, 2008 it was announced that Fator had signed a five year, $100 million contract to perform nightly at The Mirage in Las Vegas. He replaced headliner Danny Gans and the theater was renamed the Terry Fator Theatre. Reportedly, Fator's deal is one of the largest entertainment deals in Las Vegas history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fator

#45 ·

Quote:

Well, Britain's Got Talent has been somewhat fruitful, and has another Susan Boyle type on this season. And really the criteria to measure success should include the "million dollar Vegas act" angle. I guess the ventriloquist was also a success then.

Yes, my post was directed mainly at the statement that DrLar made

I just hope this year a person/group other than a singer wins.. it seems to be that if you aren't a singer don't even try...

#46 ·

Quote:

And really the criteria to measure success should include the "million dollar Vegas act" angle.

That's what I stated earlier in this thread. They need to stop promoting these acts that are very entertaining for three minutes on stage (and that's it), and start promoting acts that can consistently perform sixty minute Vegas shows that will get people coming again and again.

For example, The team that came in second place last year (Silhouettes) was entirely consisted of 4-18 year olds. How the hell is a group like that supposed to make a Vegas show? There are child labor laws that would go into effect for the nightly productions (and training/practices), not to mention the entire group needing to move to Vegas. Silhouettes was no doubt very cool and talented, but I can't see that group being a Vegas show.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr /forum/post/21903618

That's what I stated earlier in this thread. They need to stop promoting these acts that are very entertaining for three minutes on stage (and that's it), and start promoting acts that can consistently perform sixty minute Vegas shows that will get people coming again and again.

For example, The team that came in second place last year (Silhouettes) was entirely consisted of 4-18 year olds. How the hell is a group like that supposed to make a Vegas show? There are child labor laws that would go into effect for the nightly productions (and training/practices), not to mention the entire group needing to move to Vegas. Silhouettes was no doubt very cool and talented, but I can't see that group being a Vegas show.

There actually is a group of (adults) that do a solid Silhouettes type show in Europe .. there are some youtube clips .. and they are very, very good .. much better than AGT Silhouettes

#49 ·
Stern is certainly doing the promotion circuit .. and he's making some good points .. I don't recall any other season where one of the judges was so heavily out on the road pushing the show ..

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/22010739

Stern is certainly doing the promotion circuit .. and he's making some good points .. I don't recall any other season where one of the judges was so heavily out on the road pushing the show ..

I thought it was also interesting that he didn't go out of his way to mention Sirius. Considering what has happened to the radio show, I hope AGT can make up for it.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M /forum/post/22010888

I thought it was also interesting that he didn't go out of his way to mention Sirius. Considering what has happened to the radio show, I hope AGT can make up for it.

You mean the lawsuit .. ??

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/22010917

You mean the lawsuit .. ??

I mean the scarcity of the radio show this year. There have been very few new radio shows. It was bad enough when Stern dropped down to 4 days a week. Then it turned into 3 days a week with an hour less each morning. It's even less now with all the breaks for AGT. I'm close to dropping my subscription.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.