AVS Forum banner

what shows on OTA do you record regulary

18K views 269 replies 34 participants last post by  MarkB64 
#1 ·
what shows on OTA do you record regulary and are they Hi def. or standard def.?

for me CBS Monday night Hawaie 5 0 nice scenceary and awesome audio it's broadcast in high def.

STB

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/21901781

I have 3 (50 count) cake boxs and 2 small folder type w/ the sleves (24 count).

I want to continue to achive w/ DVDs like some idea's of how to store

Awww, with only 3 cakeboxes, you're just starting out!

Storage choice depends on your personal attitude toward your collection, how often you need to access the recordings, and how comfortable you are with the handling vs storage space factors of the different methods.

Having accumulated 3000+ VHS and Beta tapes over the past thirty years, I've long since grown comfortable with a system of storing the tapes in the 10-pak boxes they came in, with each tape logged in a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet noting box #, tape#, program category, and description (further divided with separate contents entries if the tape has wildly different programs on it). Aside from digging a particular box out from under a stack, this system makes it easy to find anything I might want to watch or loan out. When I migrated to DVD recording, I easily adapted this system to logging 50-disc cakeboxes instead of 10-tape boxes. Very simple for me, I'm used to working this way, and it takes up the least amount of storage space (my A-1 priority after living with thousands of tapes underfoot for decades). Many of the shows and movies I archive just for the sake of having them: realistically, I won't need access to them again for years, so as long as I know where I can find them I'm happy. Those I store in the 600-ct (12 cakebox) shipping cartons they came in. Recordings that I view periodically, or seem to be popular loan-outs, I organize to be more available. I can locate my target disc in a 50-pak cakebox in 5 seconds flat: all I need to know is that its in there.

Most AVS members are horrified at my system, they can't see themselves digging thru 50 dvds in a cakebox to find something. They much prefer using binders which allow flipping thru pages to eyeball the DVDs , making them easier to locate. I did try the the binder system years ago, for my computer CD-ROMs, and found it much more annoying than using the cakeboxes. If you have a really large homebrew DVD collection (thousands), binder costs add up quickly and storage requirements can become tricky. The mega-huge binders several members prefer strike me as defeating the purpose: a binder holding several hundred discs weighing 20 lbs seems much more cumbersome to me than cakebox storage. But there you go: there isn't a universal answer, no "best way to set up your library." You have to play around with different options until one feels right.

At the moment I have 83 cakeboxes and 170+ boxes of VHS that still need to be dubbed to DVD. The day I finish that dubbing project is the day I reclaim half my living space. By then 10 terabyte HDDs should be selling for under $100, at which point all the DVDs get archived on a few compact redundant HDDs (just in time to accompany me into assisted living
: all those videos plus a laptop or tablet should fit in a nightstand).

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear /forum/post/21902757

...I did try the the binder system years ago, for my computer CD-ROMs, and found it much more annoying than using the cakeboxes. If you have a really large homebrew DVD collection (thousands), binder costs add up quickly and storage requirements can become tricky. The mega-huge binders several members prefer strike me as defeating the purpose: a binder holding several hundred discs weighing 20 lbs seems much more cumbersome to me than cakebox storage. But there you go: there isn't a universal answer, no "best way to set up your library." You have to play around with different options until one feels right.

At the moment I have 83 cakeboxes and 170+ boxes of VHS that still need to be dubbed to DVD. The day I finish that dubbing project is the day I reclaim half my living space...

Recently I ordered a three pack of 200 DVD albums and 200 TY 8x Premium Line DVD-R discs. This is the SuperMediaStore deal for these albums, storage for 600 DVDs cost just $25:

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...-color-sn12200

I now get my TY Premium Line DVDs shrink-wrapped, saving more than $3.00 from the cake box price:

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...ape-wrap-100pk

BTW, every once in a while I clear out my accumulation of empty TY cake boxes. Last week I recycled 25 TY cake boxes.

The first photo shows the shrink-wrap packaging. The second photo shows the original cake-box packaging.

A brief survey of spindle and cake-box designs is found in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20101478

A more detailed survey is found in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18248992

#29 ·
DigaDo, your pics remind me of how much I hate the chintzy useless unwieldy 100-ct cakebox spindles the TY discs come in.
There's a big difference in handling between 50-ct spindles and 100-ct, on top of which TY uses the all-time crummiest 100-ct plastic spindles I've ever seen. And unfortunately, you only get two choices when buying TY: 100-ct shrinkwrapped, or 100-ct crummy cakebox. AFAIK, TY has never been sold in convenient 50-ct cakeboxes (like Verbatim, which I also buy). I eventually made contacts at a couple of high-volume DVD burning services, who sell me their empty 50-ct cakeboxes complete with shipping cartons for about $8 a dozen. Every time I order a carton of 600 TY, I immediately discard the lousy huge TY cakeboxes and transfer them to the smaller spindles.

BTW Verbatim DataLife Plus now often ships in super-handy horizontal square cartons, each holding four 50-ct cakeboxes totalling 200 DVDs. I'm trying to find a production house or other service that goes thru tons of these, to see if I can buy the empties and transfer all my discs to this storage method. The boxes stack nicely on a shelf and the qty per carton is just about perfect for my use.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/21902874

Recently I ordered a three pack of 200 DVD albums and 200 TY 8x Premium Line DVD-R discs. This is the SuperMediaStore deal for these albums, storage for 600 DVDs cost just $25:

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...-color-sn12200

SMS has great deals on these binders, and I stocked up on a LOT for a while.....until I started thinking that the big storage boxes with indivdiual disc sleeves may be better for my purposes. Or perhaps not. I guess I'm committed now.

I've been meaning to catalog my disc (CD and DVD) and tape (VHS and cassette) collections in a spreadsheet like Citibear. Been on the "To-Do" list since about 2002.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/21902874

I now get my TY Premium Line DVDs shrink-wrapped, saving more than $3.00 from the cake box price:

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...ape-wrap-100pk

BTW, every once in a while I clear out my accumulation of empty TY cake boxes. Last week I recycled 25 TY cake boxes.

I recently discovered the extra savings from buying the "tape wrapped" discs. I always transfer transfer them anyway to 25- or 50-disc boxes for daily use. Limited recycling options where I live (as NONE), so extra TY cakeboxes would end up in the trash anyway.

Funniest thing when the cat got tangled up in the discarded tape once--he does not like things that stick to his paws!!

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear /forum/post/21903014

AFAIK, TY has never been sold in convenient 50-ct cakeboxes (like Verbatim, which I also buy).

However.....my first purchase ever from SMS was TY 8x DVD-R in 25-count, square plastic boxes. I think the labels say something about being packaged for retail use. I've kept those and use them for my ready-access supply of discs for daily use, then I replenish them from the unwieldy 100-ct cakeboxes.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 /forum/post/21898585

They do the Sat. night B-grade horror movie with the goofy host--"Svengoolie," who's been a fixture on Chicago UHF stations for years.

I have a love/hate relationship with Svengoolie. I love those old classic Universal horror flicks he often shows,but i can't stand to actually watch Him.His schlockiness is over the top for me and i can't put up with all the commercials they have.Many of the movies he shows are older(obviously)and have running times of anywhere from ~59-80 mins.,But Svengoolie has 120 mins.to burn, and that makes for a LOT of commercial time,geez man,when it comes to commercials,he's worse than AMC!! and that's saying a lot!!.I've recorded some of the movies he shows,but watch something else while recording.Afterward i go back and edit out the commercials,but ya gotta be very careful about it cuz he has a nasty habit of injecting himself into the movie
.When the commercials are over,and the movie re-starts,there he is,in all his glory.....in the movie!!
,and those scenes must be very carefully edited cuz i could either lose a scene,or gain a Svengoolie
if it isn't done 'just right'(our DVDR's should have "frame accurate"editing to make the job easier). I have a certain mummy movie,can't remember the title,(i have so many mummy movies)but it's from Universal,anyway when some archeologists go to the tomb of the Princess Ananka,they find a lockett that should have a pic. of the wife of the archeologist who originally discovered her tomb,inside the lockett.But instead of a pic.of his wife,it's Svengoolie!!! AAARRRRGH....NOT GOOD!,i can't edit That out, that's for sure,but luckily it's so small that you have to have a sharp eye to see it,so i kept the copy i made.

Something i constantly wonder about is how Svengoolie can get his hands on all those Universal horror flicks so easily when it seems that nobody else can,...not even TCM,not even for Halloween.

One really good thing i can say about Svengoolie is that he does an Excellent job of showing the entire move,no cut scenes,and where ever he cuts away from the movie,is where the movie picks up afterward.Excellent!!!

#34 ·
ME-TV is up to something.

Last night they skipped 5 eps.of COMBAT to air Silver Service w/Mickey Rooney.

They came in as a pleasent surprise 6-1-11 LOL They knocked Off RTV at 5am Me-TV.

Are they going to revamp their schedule??

I trac with a 108 pg 91/2"x 6" notebook.It is actually 216 pages i mark each and

everyone! 50 pages in my 2011 -12 book is dedicated to tv shows.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser /forum/post/21903982

I have a love/hate relationship with Svengoolie.

Heh, yes, a little of him goes a long way. And remember: I'm nostalgic for Chicago UHF TV because I don't live there any more!!

Quote:

Something i constantly wonder about is how Svengoolie can get his hands on all those Universal horror flicks so easily when it seems that nobody else can,...not even TCM,not even for Halloween.

Apparently, WCIU, the Chicago station he works for, acquired them 5 or 6 years ago. Go figure.

Quote:

One really good thing i can say about Svengoolie is that he does an Excellent job of showing the entire move,no cut scenes,and where ever he cuts away from the movie,is where the movie picks up afterward.Excellent!!!

That's the thing: I think the guy really loves those old movies. So he's not making fun *of* them as much as having fun *with* them

The beauty of the DVDR is that you *can* record this stuff to the HDD, not have to sit through Sven if you don't want to, slicey-dicey edit Sven out of them (mostly), and make a copy for future enjoyment.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 /forum/post/21904844

That's the thing: I think the guy really loves those old movies. So he's not making fun *of* them as much as having fun *with* them.

Yea,i think he loves them too,at least that's the impression i get.And he's full of interesting little factoids and tidbits of info. about the movies and some of the actors.I just can't take tooo much of him.

And thanks for letting me know how he's able to show those Universal movies.I never thought that a tv station could/would have the $$$ to buy the "rights"to air the movies. That is how it works,isn't it???? You must but buy the copyrights. Must've been cheap.

Nowday's i consider Svengoolie to be the go-to-guy for some of the best horror movies ever made.I just can't stand to watch him!!

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 /forum/post/21904691

ME-TV is up to something.

Last night they skipped 5 eps.of COMBAT to air Silver Service w/Mickey Rooney.

They came in as a pleasent surprise 6-1-11 LOL They knocked Off RTV at 5am Me-TV.

Are they going to revamp their schedule??

I trac with a 108 pg 91/2"x 6" notebook.It is actually 216 pages i mark each and

everyone! 50 pages in my 2011 -12 book is dedicated to tv shows.

I saw on ME an ad that starting Monday they are starting to show The Honeymooners again in the evening. Don't know if there are any other changes in the works, but I'm going to check their schedule on their site.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/21901781

I want to continue to achive w/ DVDs like some idea's of how to store.

Thanks STB

Dealing with both topics:

We have DirectTV, but I have an OTA setup upstairs because I've become aware of all the great content available on subchannels. I don't have much interest in old series, but the wealth of good old movies available is almost overwhelming. At least once a day I am adding to my movie collection.

As far as storage, I keep all finished discs in paper sleeves, and then in "snap-n store" boxes. I have 3 and need another soon.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser /forum/post/21899060

The names of the two titles that i'm missing are:"Miniature" and "No Time Like The Past". I've been *hoping*that ME-TV is just playing games with us by withholding them and not showing them,but will at some point in the future,but ya never can tell because of possible copyright issues.I've heard that that happens sometimes with individual eps. of various shows,usually because some piece of music or other thing that's copyrighted and the copyright holder won't give permission to air whatever it is that they hold the copyright too.

As has already been mentioned, "Miniature" is absent from the syndication package, and "No Time Like The Past" is available -- so that will dictate what is available.

For the record, five episodes of the "Twilight Zone" are missing from the syndication package. They are:

MINIATURE (Season 4, originally aired 02/21/63)

A SHORT DRINK FROM A CERTAIN FOUNTAIN (Season 5, originally aired on 12/13/63)

AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE (Season 5, originally aired on 02/28/64)

SOUNDS AND SILENCES (Season 5, originally aired on 04/03/64)

THE ENCOUNTER (Season 5, originally aired on 05/01/64)

The above is per the CBS Television Distribution Syndication Bible website (yes, that's what they call it), which is rich with information on what's available, and in what versions.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond /forum/post/21907803

As has already been mentioned, "Miniature" is absent from the syndication package, and "No Time Like The Past" is available -- so that will dictate what is available.

For the record, five episodes of the "Twilight Zone" are missing from the syndication package. They are:

MINIATURE (Season 4, originally aired 02/21/63)

A SHORT DRINK FROM A CERTAIN FOUNTAIN (Season 5, originally aired on 12/13/63)

AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE (Season 5, originally aired on 02/28/64)

SOUNDS AND SILENCES (Season 5, originally aired on 04/03/64)

THE ENCOUNTER (Season 5, originally aired on 05/01/64)

The above is per the CBS Television Distribution Syndication Bible website (yes, that's what they call it), which is rich with information on what's available, and in what versions.

Guess my timing was good! I got "A Short Drink", "Miniature", and "Sounds And Silences". The other two I purchased on DVD. So I have all 156 episodes, but might not have if I had started now. Strange how certain eps come and go in syndication packages.

#44 ·

Quote:

If "No time Like The Past" is in syndication,i wonder why ME-TV seems to have excluded it.

Oh well,i think i'll take citibears advise and check out the library.Maybe with a little luck.....
i'll find BOTH!!???

'IF' i remember correctly,i was able to get "A Short Drink From A Certain Fountain" from a Sci-Fi channel New Year's day TZ marathon a few yrs.ago,but maybe my memory is faulty.I'll have to go back and check my titles.But i have $h!tloads of them and it'll take a while.

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser /forum/post/21909399

'IF' i remember correctly,i was able to get "A Short Drink From A Certain Fountain" from a Sci-Fi channel New Year's day TZ marathon a few yrs.ago,but maybe my memory is faulty.I'll have to go back and check my titles.But i have $h!tloads of them and it'll take a while.

Mine came from Syfy, so your memory is probably correct.

#46 ·

Quote:

...A SHORT DRINK FROM A CERTAIN FOUNTAIN (Season 5, originally aired on 12/13/63)...

I recorded that episode from SF three times in recent years, 28 March 2008, 24 May 2009 and 4 July 2009.

It's been a while since I've had online access to the "Syndication Bible." Do you have a functional link?

Update. I found the link for this great resource. Here it is:

http://syndicationbible.cbstvd.com/

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/21902362

Here's the most recent photo (8 September 2010) of my main archive. Since that photo there have been ten more albums added to the shelves, now around 12,000 home-recorded DVDs. The main archive albums are labeled with a date range as my DVDs are numbered according to finalizing date and order, i.e., the fourth DVD to be finalized today will be numbered 120413D. I also have a few other smaller albums reserved for serialized duplication masters.

Hey! You have books along with your DVDs ON THE SAME SHELF! have you no shame?

#49 ·
Tuesday, I completed a long-term project. I finally got the last of the Dick Van Dyke shows that I was missing. I now have the entire 158 episodes, in order. Of course, they are off-the-air, and have been cut, a bit, but the cost from Amazon was like $175. I see that it is now $100, but the proces at Amazon.com change as fast as a random number generator. I get to add Dick Van Dyke to a growing list of such titles, Mission: Impossible, The Wild, Wild West, 24, Lost... Most of the newer ones were recorded from the netowrk feeds' first run, so they are not cut up.

The SciFi (back then) versions of the original Glalactica were so badly cut, I bought them, same with the original Twilight Zone. I would have done so with Star Trek, but they had an uncut showing of the original program, which I recorded. Now they have redone many of the special effects, so (like the first three Star Wars films) the originals are not easy to find, and with so many versions, it's hard to know which is the best one to have.

#50 ·
Right now Amazon has the complete series of "Leave It To Beaver" for $92.99 and "The Andy Griffith Show" for $99.95.Free shipping,of course.

I'll have to consider the price for a while,but i just maaay go for at least one of the two.Do those prices seem 'good' to anybody?? or can they be had cheaper if i wait???

Actually i have most of "The Andy Griffith Show" eps. on VHS tape that i recorded off tv(TV Land i think) back in the late 80's-early 90's,but the tapes are in such baad shape that i don't want to attempt a transfer to disc because although they still play,they don't play well anymore.I guess i should just throw them away.

#51 ·
$92.99 seems like a good price, buy.com has it for $126.99
http://www.buy.com/prod/leave-it-to-...214870222.html

Amazon had the Andy Griffith show for $77.99 but it was 10 months ago.
http://deals.woot.com/deals/search?q...+Griffith+Show

I'm a firm believer in purchasing The complete series collections whenever possible(the price is low enough) because 1). They are in the order they aired. 2). They are uncut and free of screen clutter. 3). The picture quality is generally much better than what you may have recorded off TV, especially if you recorded to video tape.

I recently purchased Gilligans Island The Complete Season from Amazon for $34.99, it's now over $46.....I swear they set prices by a roulette wheel over at Amazon!
http://deals.woot.com/deals/search?q=Gilligans+island

The picture quality of Gilligans was very good and probably came from the original film, I never remember it that good on my 23" Philco counsel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.