AVS Forum banner

The Official Panasonic HDC-TM900 Owners Thread

180K views 1K replies 157 participants last post by  philtill@Lcom.net 
#1 ·
Tips and tricks on the tm900.

#1,180 ·
All true. But my question was whether there is a description of all the icons that are displayed on the LCD's. Especially the two I described (the wave like one and the +1 Ina box).

Panasonic should have listed all of these on a page (like they do for identifying the buttons and switches with a diagram)

#1,182 ·
Thank you!! I don't know how I missed those pages (I was under pressure to pack my bags for my trip!!).

Please ignore this rant.

The PDF will be perfect to load on my iPhone and have ready in case I need this in the road.

#1,183 ·
help, when I am playing the downloaded video on my computer (3G ram)

or my WD media player with HDD 1T on my sony bravia, I am getting

.... I don't know what the correct term is, but scattering or breakup of images

in panning or rapid motion. Am I doing something wrong in the HD writer during

downloading from my SDHC card ??

1080p not playing back properly ??

thanks

#1,184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peal /forum/post/21853901

help, when I am playing the downloaded video on my computer (3G ram)

or my WD media player with HDD 1T on my sony bravia, I am getting

.... I don't know what the correct term is, but scattering or breakup of images

in panning or rapid motion. Am I doing something wrong in the HD writer during

downloading from my SDHC card ??

1080p not playing back properly ??

thanks

To play .m2ts Panasonic file on computer you need a good quality video card and half decent computer. In win.7 also disabling Aero feature helps. Concerning WD TV Live Hub, latest Firmware update 3.03.13 totally destroyed .m2ts playback on this device,and only solution is to revert to previous version. Here is the link for how to. Firmware to replace is current version 3.03.13 with older version 3.00.28

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/...LUdDc0FiU2s%3D

#1,186 ·
Do any of you know if it is possible to record 1080p30 video on the TM900? I think not, but I thought I'd ask.

Also, the TM900 has a function to convert files from the internal memory and save to the SD card. The manual states that it can convert 1080p60 to "normal" mode. Do any of you know specifically what this "normal" mode is?

Thanks!

#1,187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peal /forum/post/21854611

rudy, thanks, i just updated that dreaded firmware before playing the new

panasonic files....

i will revert the firmware and see how it goes.

I am sure it will play fine with V 3.00.28,as it does on mine. Just disable automatic firmware update feature in SETUP to avoid constant nag for update. You can check for next update on this site:
http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...pid=1010&lang=

#1,189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peal /forum/post/21877480

great, working smoothly in playback now , thanks.

How did you fix the playback?

#1,191 ·
Hey,

Been using this for my kids sports for about a month now.

What's your recommendation on SD cards? Class 10 for sure?

Also, is it better to erase files or just reformat the SD cards? Or just either/or here?

Likely, many more Q's to come! But so far, this camera is performing extremely well...again, outdoor use primarily so far, but fast action soccer and some indoor basketball.

#1,192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T /forum/post/21881887

Hey,

Been using this for my kids sports for about a month now.

What's your recommendation on SD cards? Class 10 for sure?

Also, is it better to erase files or just reformat the SD cards? Or just either/or here?

Likely, many more Q's to come! But so far, this camera is performing extremely well...again, outdoor use primarily so far, but fast action soccer and some indoor basketball.

Look in the manual. On about page 20 it will say to use Class 4 or higher. I have a couple 32 GB Class 10 SDHC cards because they were on sale. Some may argue, but I don't think the brand matters. I have a Transcend and a Sandisk. The book says there is a difference between SD, SDHC and SDXC. For what I do, 32 GB is more than enough.

Once I have my files transferred to my computer and backed up on an external hard drive, I reformat the card in the camera because it seems like there are fewer steps. I'm not sure, but it may also do some error checking in the format process.

Bill

#1,193 ·
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trstno1MD /forum/post/21855892

Do any of you know if it is possible to record 1080p30 video on the TM900? I think not, but I thought I'd ask.

Also, the TM900 has a function to convert files from the internal memory and save to the SD card. The manual states that it can convert 1080p60 to "normal" mode. Do any of you know specifically what this "normal" mode is?

Thanks!

No it isn't possible to record 30p, however you can just record 60p, and when you render the edit you can convert to 30p by dropping every other frame, the result is basically the same.

Regards

Phil

#1,194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L /forum/post/21882788

Hi

No it isn't possible to record 30p, however you can just record 60p, and when you render the edit you can convert to 30p by dropping every other frame, the result is basically the same.

Regards

Phil

I recorded one game in iFrames since the wife has a MBP, but I wasn't impressed w/ the resolution (altho we were messing w/ a few different lenses during this game as well).

I've generally been recorcing in AVCHD and I have not experimented w/ 1080/60. So far, I've been able to render decent, short videos out of HD Writer.

I'm not sure if I should mess w/ 1080 or stick w/ AVCHD...thoughts, comments on the two formats?

Also, with HD Writer...is there not an easy way to add a Title Screen? Would I have to record 20 seconds of "blackness" and put a title over it or....?

#1,195 ·
I just got one of these yesterday at Fry's it was a floor model but was very clean. IT came with all the accessories except the battery for $380. I have ordered a battery for it on line, but am I right, batteries for these don't appear to be available at any local retail outlet like Fry's or Best Buy ?

My partner and I have been doing corporate work using DSLRs and its been stellar. The reason I got this was I had two small Canon HVs and honestly, Im pretty much done with tape at this point. I can see its becoming more and more scarce. I was looking for a nice regular video camera (to replace the HVs) for some B-roll. For that price I figured .. no way to go wrong. Ill save whats left of my HV tape mechanism to digitize (archive) all my MiniDV tape.

#1,196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore55 /forum/post/21889505

I just got one of these yesterday at Fry's it was a floor model but was very clean. IT came with all the accessories except the battery for $380. I have ordered a battery for it on line, but am I right, batteries for these don't appear to be available at any local retail outlet like Fry's or Best Buy ?......

"Wasabi" is a brand of batteries that are copies of the OEM version. I bought one for a another Panasonic model and it works fine. They only started offering one for the TM900 a few months ago. Amazon sells them. The extended life 2800 mAh is $30 + $4.50 for shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-P...4068110&sr=8-2

Bill

#1,200 ·
#1,201 ·
Ahh thanks for the heads-up and link aloke....I only thought to drop that link here as I had seen it mentioned a number of times within this thread.

What are the main complaints? Not sure if I can tackle another large thread this weekend...and I was contemplating grabbing one based on comments here.

I think I'd prefer a 2tb model tho.

#1,202 ·
Mostly the unit constantly rebooting, some hardware issues with the power switch, HDMI ports, new firmware updates breaking some features.

It is worth a visit if you are thinking of buying.

Like you, I'm waiting for the next version with maybe more storage (although one can add USB drive to add to local storage). The unit is almost 2 years old this October, which is a long wait in the word of tech.

#1,203 ·
Yeah, I'm holding off for now. In the meantime, if I created a AVCHD Video or an .wmv and wanted to put that back onto the SD Card and hook that up to the TV to re-play...is this doable? Will the camera recognize a full video file?

Seeing a number of folders within the SD Card and/or Camera that are potential: DCIM, MISC and Private with a few folders under Private: \\AVCHD\\BDMV or \\IISVPL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.