AVS Forum banner

LG PASSIVE LM6200 dedicated thread...

281K views 1K replies 236 participants last post by  noobtv 
#1 ·
Time for a dedicated thread. I ordered 65LM6200 few days back and waiting for delivery. Will post pictures when i get mine.

Edit: Fixed the title.

Edit: 4/8/2012 - 65LM6200 vs. 65LW6500 comparison added

Model : 65LM6200 vs. 65LW6500

Model Year: 2012 vs. 2011

Dynamic Contrast Ratio(DCR) : 6M vs. 9M

Image Contrast Ratio (ICR): ?? vs. 40K (According to Amazon;need data for 6200)

Local Dimming: Yes (confirmed by hibeta) vs. Yes

Gloss/Matte : Gloss vs. Gloss

Price(best as of today): 2800 vs. 2300

THX Mode: No vs. Yes

MCI (what is MCI anyway??): Low vs. High (according to sje3156)

Sound Mode: 7 mode vs. 5 Mode

Vesa(mount):400x400 vs. 600x400

3D Glasses Included: 6 vs. 4

Dimension(without stand): 60.6"x36.4"x1.5" vs. 61.2"x37"x1.7"

Weight (lbs without stand): 89.5 vs. 92.6

Wifi: Built-in vs. Adapter Included

Aspect Ratio: 6 Modes(extra Zoom) vs. 5 Modes

USB: 3 vs. 2

AV & Component : 1 each vs. 2 each

Remote: 3 mode Magic only (2nd genration) vs. Magic(1st gen) + Standard

Backlit: Edge LED vs. ?? (need data for 6500)

3D Dual Play capable: Yes vs. ??

Power Consumption max: 270W s 240W

Skype Ready: Yes vs. No

Web Browser: Full vs. limited ( to be confirmed)

See less See more
#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thachaz /forum/post/21893102

Unlike most of the world, I love the SOE. However, I own the 55" lm6200 and I still can't find the 120hz trumotion setting in order to turn it on. I have my tv connected via hdmi running to an hdmi receiver. Where my cable box and PS3 are connected. I thought it might have been the reason I couldn't locate the setting, so I ran the hdmi cable directly from the cable box to the tv but no luck. I'm beginning to think LG is false advertising on this particular screen size and model #. I really appreciate everyone trying to resolve this issue. I hope someone can give us a definite answer regarding the option. Thanks.

Hi there (brand new to this forum so please be nice
)

With respect to the TruMotion adjustments, I can confirm they are not available. This surprised me. I was double checking the box, manual, menus and forums. I finally landed here and noticed this was a fairly hot topic. I signed up to this forum now so that I can contribute and get involved in the conversation. Again, I'm brand new so if I'm stating the obvious, please forgive me.

It seems to me, through various testing, the Trumotion is paired with the Picture mode. Ie: Standard & Expert = Low and Game = High. When switching back and forth watching a segment of a BD movie, there is a significant difference (to me) with respect to the camera appearing to move normally and no SOE when in Standard or Expert vs. Game. When I flip the Picture Mode over to Game and watch the same video segment, the camera appears to bob around a lot more and I see the SOE.

This model (55LM6200) appears to have a dumbed down version of TruMotion settings. I can't say that I mind though, personally speaking I'm very content. I am not a fan of the SOE myself, so it's really not a problem.

CONFIRMED THE ABOVE PARAGRAPHS WERE ONLY WISHFUL THINKING - TruMotion is not enabled in any mode using the current firmware version.

120hz isn't the same thing as TruMotion though and that needs to be recognized. TruMotion is software interpreting 'filler frames' to smooth the picture, where 120Hz is a panel refresh rate. 120Hz is the feature to really care about, where TruMotion is not so much as it simply adds information which isn't present through a software algorithm attempting to predict, create and insert in extra frames with a goal of a smoother picture. I've owned LG, Sharp, and Sony TV's each with their version of this feature and have never been impressed, nor has it ever been a feature I would personally spend an extra dollar on. The 120Hz refresh rate however, has always been on my must have list since it became available.

Like you and many others, I find it puzzling why the firmware for the 55"ers would exclude this feature, being the same specs... At the end of the day, likely (unless you love SOE) you would probably set it up as it is anyhow - whatever this setting truly is.

I think it's pretty close to false advertising myself, but perhaps a firmware update will resolve it. Doesn't make any sense for it to be missing as it's simply a smaller screen size and not a different class.

Cheers, hope that helps in some way. I find everyone extremely helpful here and I hope I can contribute something useful and continue to be involved in the discussion!

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brecklington /forum/post/0

Hi there (brand new to this forum so please be nice
)

With respect to the TruMotion adjustments, I can confirm they are not available. This surprised me. I was double checking the box, manual, menus and forums. I finally landed here and noticed this was a fairly hot topic. I signed up to this forum now so that I can contribute and get involved in the conversation. Again, I'm brand new so if I'm stating the obvious, please forgive me.

It seems to me, through various testing, the Trumotion is paired with the Picture mode. Ie: Standard & Expert = Low and Game = High. When switching back and forth watching a segment of a BD movie, there is a significant difference (to me) with respect to the camera appearing to move normally and no SOE when in Standard or Expert vs. Game. When I flip the Picture Mode over to Game and watch the same video segment, the camera appears to bob around a lot more and I see the SOE.

This model (55LM6200) appears to have a dumbed down version of TruMotion settings. I can't say that I mind though, personally speaking I'm very content. I am not a fan of the SOE myself, so it's really not a problem.

120hz isn't the same thing as TruMotion though and that needs to be recognized. TruMotion is software interpreting 'filler frames' to smooth the picture, where 120Hz is a panel refresh rate. 120Hz is the feature to really care about, where TruMotion is not so much as it simply adds information which isn't present through a software algorithm attempting to predict, create and insert in extra frames with a goal of a smoother picture. I've owned LG, Sharp, and Sony TV's each with their version of this feature and have never been impressed, nor has it ever been a feature I would personally spend an extra dollar on. The 120Hz refresh rate however, has always been on my must have list since it became available.

Like you and many others, I find it puzzling why the firmware for the 55"ers would exclude this feature, being the same specs... At the end of the day, likely (unless you love SOE) you would probably set it up as it is anyhow - whatever this setting truly is.

I think it's pretty close to false advertising myself, but perhaps a firmware update will resolve it. Doesn't make any sense for it to be missing as it's simply a smaller screen size and not a different class.

Cheers, hope that helps in some way. I find everyone extremely helpful here and I hope I can contribute something useful and continue to be involved in the discussion!

Welcome onboard, very good first post.

#83 ·
Hey everyone. TV got here at 1pm EST. Was swamped today...played with it some tonight. Question, can someone tryout VUDU 3D previews? I have a PS3 hooked up and it says I have don't have a 3D compatible TV. The Vudu app on the 65LM6200 doesn't show any 3D movies available.

I want to be able to rent 3D movies. Not a big fan of buying expensive 3D Bluray discs to have kids watch a movie once or twice.

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMeADeal /forum/post/21905345

Welcome onboard, very good first post.

Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpatel /forum/post/21905351

Hey everyone. TV got here at 1pm EST. Was swamped today...played with it some tonight. Question, can someone tryout VUDU 3D previews? I have a PS3 hooked up and it says I have don't have a 3D compatible TV. The Vudu app on the 65LM6200 doesn't show any 3D movies available.

I want to be able to rent 3D movies. Not a big fan of buying expensive 3D Bluray discs to have kids watch a movie once or twice.

Hi mjpatel,

With respect to your question about streaming 3D content - If in fact you are receiving true 3D content compatible with this TV and are receiving that error, likely your cabling is incorrect.

Your source must be 3D compatible, your cable must be HDMI 1.4 certified, and if you have a receiver in between your source and TV, it also must be HDMI 1.4 certified. From what you described, it sounds like either your cables are 1.3b or lower, or the receiver between your source and TV is not HDMI 1.4 compatible.

Hope that narrows it down for you.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brecklington /forum/post/21905445

Thank you very much!

Hi mjpatel,

With respect to your question about streaming 3D content - If in fact you are receiving true 3D content compatible with this TV and are receiving that error, likely your cabling is incorrect.

Your source must be 3D compatible, your cable must be HDMI 1.4 certified, and if you have a receiver in between your source and TV, it also must be HDMI 1.4 certified. From what you described, it sounds like either your cables are 1.3b or lower, or the receiver between your source and TV is not HDMI 1.4 compatible.

Hope that narrows it down for you.

Technically and more accurately he'll be needing a HDMI cable listed as 'High Speed' as the cables aren't officially versioned by hdmi numbering. I bought all of my cables pre 1.4 but high speed and 3D works fine from my PS3 and PC and through my receiver. Furthermore the TV should have a 3dworld app with streaming 3d content that can be used as a test to rule out the hdmi chain.

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkspade /forum/post/21905475

Technically and more accurately he'll be needing a HDMI cable listed as 'High Speed' as the cables aren't officially versioned by hdmi numbering. I bought all of my cables pre 1.4 but high speed and 3D works fine from my PS3 and PC and through my receiver. Furthermore the TV should have a 3dworld app with streaming 3d content that can be used as a test to rule out the hdmi chain.

That is incorrect. It's simply a micro savings when it comes to cables. Quite literally, 1.4, 1.3b differ greatly. The wire pattern, the additional data path, and the ethernet compatibility... One must not forget to mention "ARC" a new feature because of HDMI 1.4. A feature anyone with a livingroom/medium-end system must consider. If you are unsure about what Audio Return Channel is about, I’d recommend reading about it via Google. If you have a receiver capable of 1.3b, you do not have it.

I'm not suggesting to go out and buy shares in "Monster Cable", but I am saying to adhere to the HDMI standards if you expect… An expected result.

There are many places, around here anyway, who sell to home installers (I used to be one). They are more than happy to push their debit machine towards the general public. I'd recommend looking into that, in your area, and saving money on the branding, instead of the certification. That's what I do to keep costs reasonable while getting what "must work" - to work..

Go to your local Walmart, if you have to, pick up a 1.4 cable, or 2 if you are using a receiver which is compatible with 3D. If your receiver is HDMI 1.4, you will be laughing. Don't expect long term reliability from your Walmart cables, but at least it will prove a certification has a certification for a reason.

#88 ·
Let me try that this afternoon. I had originally purchased a Sharp 60" 3D LED and 3D streaming from Vudu on my PS3 worked. That same cable is being used by my Dish Receiver and am using a cable that says High Speed that came with another bluray player. It says highspeed but you never know what they bundle with Bluray players.

Will update within 1/2 hour.

#90 ·
Just got the 55" version of this tv, and I'm a little disappointed. All the reviews I read said. TV had mlb.tv built in, but when I went to click on that app, it simply says "coming soon. " Am I missing g something, or did the reviewers just get it wrong?

Also, does anyone have recommended picture settings for this display? I haven't seen any posted in this thread.

And finally, I have the display offset at about a 40 degree viewing angle, and I notice terrible ghosting in 3d mode. Is there any way to fix this other than changing the TV to a straight on angle?

#91 ·
I need some serious help. Got a 55lm6700 today and it asked me to upgrade the firmware and I did. Now I see black horizontal lines all over the screen and even on the help menu.

Also, the left side of the screen is constantly trying to adjust the light or something coz its light and dark every 2 sec.

Any settings I need to change to make this better.

What about the lines.

#92 ·
Carterman32 -

I agree with the MLB.TV. I was extremely disappointed. They should not have an icon for the app if the app is not functional. I subscribe to MLB.tv and was hoping to use the app on the TV. I'll have to continue to use my PS3 for now.

I still have to work on picture settings. I want to customize them as well.

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpatel /forum/post/21910076

Carterman32 -

I agree with the MLB.TV. I was extremely disappointed. They should not have an icon for the app if the app is not functional. I subscribe to MLB.tv and was hoping to use the app on the TV. I'll have to continue to use my PS3 for now.

I still have to work on picture settings. I want to customize them as well.

Speaking of dissapointing apps (same experience with MLBtv here too)... Has anyone noticed the performance of the Youtube app to be less than ideal?

Loads fast enough, searches fast enough, but during playback the audio is super choppy and it takes about 10-15 seconds for the video to play smoothly and the audio to sort its self out

I am using wired ethernet from a gigabit router on a standard highspeed connection without any other downloads happening when I've been testing. The audio connection is via optical to my receiver (my receiver does not support ARC). I have my set top box running through the TV via HDMI and audio over optical back to the receiver without issue, so the optical connection is eliminated as the source of the issue. To me, it seems the Youtube application is not working properly. If anyone else is experiencing the same problem please reply. Please post your configuration as well if you are not experiencing this issue. Perhaps the optical connection isn't the issue but the communication between the app and audio processor is...? (It does play just fine after about 10 seconds though)

#94 ·
Same issue here. YouTube app can't seem to keep up. I don't have a receiver connected. Simply using the TV's YouTube app.

Still love the TV, but apps are disappointing. Hopefully they will fix some of these issues. Did you update the software to the latest? I am afraid to update the TV in fear that it will break something else.

Let me know.

Thanks.

PS: I also have highspeed cable modem with a hardwired connection from the router to the TV.

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpatel /forum/post/21911208

Same issue here. YouTube app can't seem to keep up. I don't have a receiver connected. Simply using the TV's YouTube app.

Still love the TV, but apps are disappointing. Hopefully they will fix some of these issues. Did you update the software to the latest? I am afraid to update the TV in fear that it will break something else.

Let me know.

Thanks.

PS: I also have highspeed cable modem with a hardwired connection from the router to the TV.

I agree. Apps are somewhat disappointing. I am very happy with the streaming however. The documentation suggests using Plex for streaming but I found it works flawlessly with Windows Media Sharing enabled. No more converting MKV's. Faster than the PS3 was streaming MPG's too.

I did upgrade the tv. Curiously, the tv said my software was up to date when manually checking the status. I was only aware of an update after trying to access the premium apps. I did the update and had not tried any of the apps before hand. Sounds like the update will leave you in the same state you are currently in. I'd be interested in knowing what the update includes. Anyone aware of what the update accomplishes?

I'm also very happy with the tv and basically the apps are not important to me. I got a really good deal on the set ($1449.99) at Future Shop in B.C. Canada b/c they misquoted stock of the 55LW5600. I would have kept looking for the '5600 if they hadn't offered such a good price. IMO, it's a great set... If apps aren't important to you. Again though, the streaming feature is perfect!

Cheers.

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpatel /forum/post/21911208

Let me know.

Thanks.

I did indeed update. Somewhat accidental, but it took just fine. I'd be interested in finding out what the update accomplishes. I expected a description but it simply went ahead with the download and install.

I didn't get a chance to try the apps before the update, and with your post, you've inadvertently answered the questions I had, by confirming the issues did exist before the update. It completed without issue and I don't see any difference in the picture (the only part I had experience with before the update). It didn't add the TruMotion controls as I expected it would.

Thanks for addressing your Youtube experience as well. Do you find it unusable or is it like my situation where it eventually catches up, or if you pause for about 10 seconds it seems to go forward properly? I don't know what could cause this... It is unacceptable though, so hopefully an update will resolve it. I'd call in the issue myself, but from what I've read, the LG support is pretty useless when it comes to being knowlegeable about the features. Another poster called in about the TruMotion and was told "Eye Care" is the new name for it... LMFAO. That's completely moronic of that tech to try and pass that off as an answer.

I expect things will get better... The manufactured date is this month... I'll give it a couple months before I start barking up any trees

Cheers.

#97 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brecklington /forum/post/21910818

Speaking of dissapointing apps (same experience with MLBtv here too)... Has anyone noticed the performance of the Youtube app to be less than ideal?

Loads fast enough, searches fast enough, but during playback the audio is super choppy and it takes about 10-15 seconds for the video to play smoothly and the audio to sort its self out

I am using wired ethernet from a gigabit router on a standard highspeed connection without any other downloads happening when I've been testing. The audio connection is via optical to my receiver (my receiver does not support ARC). I have my set top box running through the TV via HDMI and audio over optical back to the receiver without issue, so the optical connection is eliminated as the source of the issue. To me, it seems the Youtube application is not working properly. If anyone else is experiencing the same problem please reply. Please post your configuration as well if you are not experiencing this issue. Perhaps the optical connection isn't the issue but the communication between the app and audio processor is...? (It does play just fine after about 10 seconds though)

Same issue with YouTube audio sync issues, but in my case it never syncs. I'm using a high speed connection, wireless.

Just don't understand why they advertised mlb.tv, but don't actually support it.

I'm curious to hear what display settings everyone is using. My display looks dark.

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brecklington /forum/post/21905505

That is incorrect. It's simply a micro savings when it comes to cables. Quite literally, 1.4, 1.3b differ greatly. The wire pattern, the additional data path, and the ethernet compatibility... One must not forget to mention "ARC" a new feature because of HDMI 1.4. A feature anyone with a livingroom/medium-end system must consider. If you are unsure about what Audio Return Channel is about, I'd recommend reading about it via Google. If you have a receiver capable of 1.3b, you do not have it.

I'm not suggesting to go out and buy shares in "Monster Cable", but I am saying to adhere to the HDMI standards if you expect An expected result.

There are many places, around here anyway, who sell to home installers (I used to be one). They are more than happy to push their debit machine towards the general public. I'd recommend looking into that, in your area, and saving money on the branding, instead of the certification. That's what I do to keep costs reasonable while getting what "must work" - to work..

Go to your local Walmart, if you have to, pick up a 1.4 cable, or 2 if you are using a receiver which is compatible with 3D. If your receiver is HDMI 1.4, you will be laughing. Don't expect long term reliability from your Walmart cables, but at least it will prove a certification has a certification for a reason.

I know all about ARC as I am using it as well with the aforementioned cables. The 1.x specification exists on the devices as opposed to the cables. I am not speaking out of my rear here I am referencing http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx . Confirming via Whois, http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/hdmi.org , says, its owned by Silicon Image, a HDMI founding member, so official.

#100 ·
Hello Everyone, I got some good news about the TruMotion issue. I have spoken to LG via their 800 number several times now and they continue to be useless. However, I called Frys where I purchased my 55 LM6200 and A/V department supervisor called me back after speaking with his local LG representative. He told me that the LG rep said that the engineers are aware of the issue and are currently working on a software update to provide the TruMotion option to our sets within the next several weeks he also told me the magic remote has a built-in microphone (I was not aware of) and they will also be upgrading software to use the microphone. I hope this info settles some concern. I will update with more info if I get any more.

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thachaz /forum/post/21928674

Hello Everyone, I got some good news about the TruMotion issue. I have spoken to LG via their 800 number several times now and they continue to be useless. However, I called Frys where I purchased my 55 LM6200 and A/V department supervisor called me back after speaking with his local LG representative. He told me that the LG rep said that the engineers are aware of the issue and are currently working on a software update to provide the TruMotion option to our sets within the next several weeks he also told me the magic remote has a built-in microphone (I was not aware of) and they will also be upgrading software to use the microphone. I hope this info settles some concern. I will update with more info if I get any more.

Thanks for this wonderful news... The Trumotion situation was really starting to pick at the back of my mind... I'm still within my return policy as well. I was considering suggesting we put together a group message to LG, however, you have given us all the information we all wanted! Thanks for doing that and sharing your news. I'll stop checking for updates daily going forward :). Now all we need is the service menu access and everyone will be as happy as can be!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.