AVS Forum banner

Walmart Entertainment’s Disc-to-Digital Service Powered by VUDU

40K views 325 replies 52 participants last post by  dochsale 
#1 ·
Walmart Entertainment's Disc-to-Digital Service Powered by VUDU: How it Works

The process to convert previously-purchased DVD/Blu-ray movies to digital copies is quick and simple:

Bring your movie collections from the participating studio partners - Paramount, Sony, Fox, Universal and Warner Bros. - to your local Walmart Photo Center.

A Walmart associate will help you create a free VUDU account.

Tell the associate how you'd like your movies converted:

◦Convert a standard DVD or Blu-ray movie for $2; or,

◦Upgrade a standard DVD to an HD digital copy for $5.

Walmart will authorize the digital copies and place them in your VUDU account. No upload is necessary, and you get to keep your physical discs.

Log onto VUDU.com from more than 300 Internet-connected devices to view movies any time, any place.

Walmart Entertainment supports UltraViolet, the movie industry's initiative currently in its beta phase that allows consumers to put their purchased movies into a cloud-based digital library and keep track of them safely and securely. Walmart is able to offer customers the ability to watch and purchase UltraViolet-enabled titles directly from VUDU.

Press Release:
http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/10824.aspx

Video Press Release:
http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/10835.aspx

See less See more
#202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 /forum/post/21912884

The path of least resistance would be to just use the discs and players you already have and not give Hollywood more money for content you have already purchased.

They include UV for free when you purchase a new disc yet charge for it for old discs.

People will lap this service up like kittens sipping warm milk
. The sell thru market in 2011 (EST and Physical) was around $10 Billion dollars which is hardly chump change and shows that many many people still want to Own movies.

I find that I want choice. If I like the movie I buy it, if not then the rental was all that Im out for.

My husband and I enjoy collecting movies and watching them on all our devices but I dont watch many longform videos on my ipad. I save that for music video and TV series.

#203 ·
I'm still unclear as to how this works. If I add a disc to my library can I share it with my parents who live in Fl? ie: Will they be able to watch it? If so this would be a good compromise for them because I have a vast video library and they have hardly any movies at all and a blu-ray player with Vudu.

#204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/21915947

I'm still unclear as to how this works. If I add a disc to my library can I share it with my parents who live in Fl? ie: Will they be able to watch it? If so this would be a good compromise for them because I have a vast video library and they have hardly any movies at all and a blu-ray player with Vudu.

Yes. I am currently sharing my Ultraviolet account with my parents who live out of state. I have a Vudu account that I linked to UV and they have a separate Vudu account linked to the same UV account so we have our own passwords but all share the same library.

#205 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkenator /forum/post/21915987

Yes. I am currently sharing my Ultraviolet account with my parents who live out of state. I have a Vudu account that I linked to UV and they have a separate Vudu account linked to the same UV account so we have our own passwords but all share the same library.

OK, cool. It's certainly easier to do this than to ship stuff back and forth across the country using media-mail. I'll have to tell my parents about this.

#206 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkenator /forum/post/21915987

The only problem I'm seeing about linking the two accounts is that not all of my Vudu movies are showing up at the UV site and not all the UV movies are showing up at the Vudu site. Don't know why?

#207 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan /forum/post/21916674

The only problem I'm seeing about linking the two accounts is that not all of my Vudu movies are showing up at the UV site and not all the UV movies are showing up at the Vudu site. Don't know why?

Are you talking about movies you previously purchased on Vudu or that you converted with Disc to Digital(D2D)? If previously purchased my guess is those titles are not on the D2D list yet. Any movie purchased through D2D should defintely be showing up on the UV website.

#208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkenator /forum/post/21916946

Are you talking about movies you previously purchased on Vudu or that you converted with Disc to Digital(D2D)? If previously purchased my guess is those titles are not on the D2D list yet. Any movie purchased through D2D should defintely be showing up on the UV website.

Yes, all the D2D movies are showing up on the UV site (although some will link back to Vudu because they don't support direct access) but one of my UV site movies is not showing up at the Vudu site. Harry Potter and the Deatly Hallows Part 1 is not showing up but Part 2 is showing up even though I have a UV copy of both. Doesn't make sense to me?

#209 ·
The linking of the different UV sites isn't working right now, I signed up on UV.com and Vudu.com easily but when I went to link them it wouldn't work. Flixster.com is offering a free UV movie if you link using your Facebook account but I couldn't get it to link. I read Amazon was going to join UV but I haven't seen anything on their website yet, anyone know what's going on with Amazon?

#210 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek /forum/post/21917312

The linking of the different UV sites isn't working right now, I signed up on UV.com and Vudu.com easily but when I went to link them it wouldn't work. Flixster.com is offering a free UV movie if you link using your Facebook account but I couldn't get it to link. I read Amazon was going to join UV but I haven't seen anything on their website yet, anyone know what's going on with Amazon?

Did you try to link Ultraviolet to Vudu through the Disc to Digital link on vudu.com? That is how I did it (haven't even converted any moves yet) and it worked perfectly.

The only way to get the Flixster movies through Facebook to link to your UV account is if you already have a Flixster account linked to Ultraviolet and you are already logged into said account on your browser before you try to redeem the Facebook movies. Otherwise it will try to open you a new Flixster/Ultraviolet account which is a mess that my friend had to deal with until he bought a Warner movie and linked it through them.

Amazon has announced plans to distribute UV movies through one unnamed studio, likely Warner, back at CES but has not rolled out any UV functionality yet. Will only be a matter of time before they are onboard with all the studios and distributing UV content.

#211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan /forum/post/21914446

What a coincidence! I also did "Somewhere In Time" from SD to HDX.
Finally an anamorphic version in the correct aspect ratio 1:85:1!! Right off the bat I could see it was brighter with better color, the resolution was decent, a clear improvement over the awful DVD although you can see that the source it was mastered from was less than ideal. Sound is Dolby Digital (not Plus) stereo and still sounds a little harsh, again going back to the master. Wife (and I) are happy with the upgrade.

As far as your other questions posted I don't think anything other than what is purchased for upgrade at Walmart will show up in your VUDU account. When I linked to UltraViolet and I could see the 3 DVD upgrades plus after joining the Sony UV website and entering the code for my Drive Blu-ray afterward I could see all 4 movies. I added the Flixster app to my iPad and was able to stream the Drive movie plus it's available for download. It would be nice if Flixster played my UV movies through my WD TV Live streamer but then that would defeat the Walmart/VUDU model to make you pay for a Blu-ray to HD streaming version.

EDIT: I just received my Ghost Protocol Blu-ray and entered the code on the Paramount URL provided. It showed up in the UltraViolet account and in my VUDU account as a Promo/Own - SD version.

#212 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G /forum/post/0

EDIT: I just received my Ghost Protocol Blu-ray and entered the code on the Paramount URL provided. It showed up in the UltraViolet account and in my VUDU account as a Promo/Own - SD version.

I can't get mine to show up at all. The only place I can play my HD ULTRAVIOLET copies of Hugo and ghost protocol are on the paramount website. They don't show up in vudu.

However, the SD "DIGITAL COPY" (itunes compatible) of the movies will show up in vudu.

Is ultraviolet just a big load of crap? It's of no use to me if I can only play it on the movie studios web page.

#213 ·
I had no problem with my Ghost Protocol from BestBuy and UV when I input the ibnfo on Tuesday. It showed up in my VUDU and UV account right away after entering the info at the Paramount site. And it showed up as owned HDX on VUDU.

I actually had started watching it from VUDU until I realized that it was cropped and then switched to watching the BD ISO.

#215 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/21928147

I had no problem with my Ghost Protocol from BestBuy and UV when I input the ibnfo on Tuesday. It showed up in my VUDU and UV account right away after entering the info at the Paramount site. And it showed up as owned HDX on VUDU.

I actually had started watching it from VUDU until I realized that it was cropped and then switched to watching the BD ISO.

I saw that to with Ghost Protocal also Hugo was cropped. But Tin Tin and Transformers 3 was not. Weird

mark

#216 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 /forum/post/21928360

I saw that to with Ghost Protocal also Hugo was cropped. But Tin Tin and Transformers 3 was not. Weird

mark

They can only encode what the studios give them. If they give VUDU a cropped version, then that is what they have to use.

#217 ·
I am so confused.

I know I can buy movies on vudu.

I know I can upgrade DVDs and blurays to digital copies on vudu at Walmart.

What I don't know is this, I have a few digital copies on my computer iTunes from the copy that comes in my bluray packaging, can I put that on vudu to stream?

#218 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/21928543

They can only encode what the studios give them. If they give VUDU a cropped version, then that is what they have to use.

Right. Although the studios themselves might be unaware as to which transfer they gave themselves. Makes little sense to give Vudu a cropped transfer, especially since they are pushing it as "blu-ray in the cloud". A cropped transfer is not the same content.

#219 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/21928897

Right. Although the studios themselves might be unaware as to which transfer they gave themselves. Makes little sense to give Vudu a cropped transfer, especially since they are pushing it as "blu-ray in the cloud". A cropped transfer is not the same content.

When you consider this is primarily about money and not quality it's easier to understand sub-par transfers.

#220 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G /forum/post/21918130

It showed up in the UltraViolet account and in my VUDU account as a Promo/Own - SD version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/21928147

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/21928351

Ghost Protocol is cropped on Vudu? Bummer. Someone send them an email.

One thing I also noticed about Ultraviolet is that while Paramount gives HDX copies, WB gives only SD. Talk about cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 /forum/post/21928360

mark

There shouldn't be an issue of surprise with UV. You shouldn't have to wonder if you are getting HD or SD or cropped or not. There should be standardization.

#222 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/21928351

Ghost Protocol is cropped on Vudu? Bummer. Someone send them an email.

One thing I also noticed about Ultraviolet is that while Paramount gives HDX copies, WB gives only SD. Talk about cheap...

My Ghost Protocol didn't work so they issued me a new code but it shows up as only SD on Vudu. I don't know why some of us are getting HDX versions and others only SD versions? I bought mine (the Blu-ray BB exclusive) at Best Buy as well.

#223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 /forum/post/21929689

There shouldn't be an issue of surprise with UV. You shouldn't have to wonder if you are getting HD or SD or cropped or not. There should be standardization.

There are standards. Each company is following their own or otherwise they might not be part of this if forced to do something they may not want to do. Hopefully things will change for the better once this has been around for a bit.

larry

#225 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/21930256

There are standards. Each company is following their own or otherwise they might not be part of this if forced to do something they may not want to do. Hopefully things will change for the better once this has been around for a bit.

larry

Apparently each company (Paramount in this case) can't even keep track of their own standard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan /forum/post/21930196

My Ghost Protocol didn't work so they issued me a new code but it shows up as only SD on Vudu. I don't know why some of us are getting HDX versions and others only SD versions? I bought mine (the Blu-ray BB exclusive) at Best Buy as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.