AVS Forum banner
447K views 4K replies 476 participants last post by  tongshadow 
#1 ·
This is the owners thread for the Samsung PNXXE7000/8000.

I have a Samsung pn60e8000, which was a replacement for my Samsung PN59D8000. I think over all the E seies has better PQ than the D series. Darker blacks, color is on par with last years excellent performance, and the new dual core chip really speeds up the use of apps and browser. Also the new internet browser is much faster and easier to use, and it is a full web browser , most web browsers on tv's are not full web browser's. The new features like face recognition is great and works very well, it does a great job. If you have an account and you are using the tv, it takes you right to your account. If you have an account and are in the room with several other people it shows all the people and displays those with accounts and without, giving you the option to sign into your account or allowing a person to make their own account. The voice control works very well, even in a room with people talking, the remote itself also has a mic to help in this situation.The voice control can be a bit finicky as you need to know the commands and must speak clearly. Also, there is a 1.5 second delay from when you speak until it reacts, but as for the web browser part I can tell you it is still much faster than typing. The motion control works but can be a bit sluggish, you need to learn the appropriate motions then it will work well, also lighting conditions can interfere with it, you need to atleast have a lamp on. I have not noticed any under or over scan issues. I have also not noticed any white "pops" - I did view a hockey game and there were some small greyish area's whithin the white at times. I am talking about when the screen is almost totally white, if you look very close you can notice this but it is very subtle.The screen was brilliant white and trying to look at these was very painful to my eye's. I watched avatar, alice in wonderland,tangled and Imax under the sea , all in 3d and there was no xtalk or ghosting . I did however notice the slightest xtalk when using the 2d-3d feature but it was very minamal. I tested gaming and it was great - even in very fast motion scenes. Also did mw3 in 3d and again great performance. There was no lag issue with out using the game mode setting. if you guys have any questions please feel free to ask.

god bless

See less See more
#631 ·
For those bothered by all the pop discussion, maybe someone can start a poll thread, as was done for the D series:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1328762

Just make sure to define the type of pops being polled, like zoyd has done in the D series fix thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd /forum/post/21543654

...FBr occurs in relatively dark scenes (usually when a bright object is introduced) and will appear as a slight increase in brightness at all levels but most noticeable in the darker portions of the image including the black bars in 2.35 letterbox material. That last point is key and the easiest way to tell if you are seeing FBr is to test for it in the black bars with 2.35 material.

This firmware will not affect the brightness limiter. Whites will continue to dim when overall picture level increases past a certain point so do not report this as FBr.

Also too: Hockey flashes are not FBr!

After a successful update of your logic board via either of the methods described above, there will no longer be any sudden jumps in black level (pop). In place of the pop you may notice slowly varying black levels with on-screen content (up to about twice your mll with no content), this is normal and can't be adjusted/fixed.

#633 ·
so we still have fbr and buzz issues in 2012? wow...just wow....

#634 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomeo /forum/post/21916278

Could you try to watch your e8000 in a complete dark room with zero lights in order to provide feedbacks on the black levek? What about the new black pro filter in such conditions ? Thanks in advance !

Watched Game of thrones in with Zero lights on S1 E9.

Excellant black levels, No FBrs or Pops.

Also watched Immortals blu Ray No FBrs or pops.

I've had my panel for two weeks and my opinion is they fix the issue on the 2012 model.

Will watch 30 day of nights blu ray .

FYI No buzzing on my panel. If you get a buzzer just return the panel.

They are reports of buzzing new pannie panels.

#635 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic /forum/post/21916912

Then call them what they are and keep it separated from the "hockey pops", it's FBr or fluctuating brightness. I believe the problem is that the hockey people and FBr people are converging due to poor communications and as a result FBr people aren't being given the recognition they deserve.

Hockey people are disappointed over having an image that is too good and instead of understanding what that means and allowing their brains to interpret information properly, they keep trying to make the image be something that it's not - the one that exists in their heads.

Excellant post! Agreed

#636 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeas2 /forum/post/21917238

I actually own this buzzer. Going to do another exchange with BB. the first one was really loud. This one not as bad. Hoping 3rd is a charm. Also the glasses that actually come with this set are not the 4100's. Both sets came with the 2011 versions (3100).

I would contact whoever you got the set from and demand the 4100's. They're supposed to come bundled with the 2012 TV's. Better yet, call Samsung.

#638 ·

Quote:
I would contact whoever you got the set from and demand the 4100's. They're supposed to come bundled with the 2012 TV's. Better yet, call Samsung

These were 2 factory unopened PN64E8000 from BB. The 3100 are whats included. Check your glasses. Call Samaung, those idiots cant even tell you what comes in the box. I suspect the 4100's will start to show up in these TV's sometimes soon as stock becomes available.

#639 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeas2 /forum/post/21917564

These were 2 factory unopened PN64E8000 from BB. The 3100 are whats included. Check your glasses. Call Samaung, those idiots cant even tell you what comes in the box. I suspect the 4100's will start to show up in these TV's sometimes soon as stock becomes available.

I already have the 3100's, using them on my UN55D8000. I just ordered the PN60E7000. I definitely will call Samsung & demand they send me the proper glasses as advertised.

*EDIT* Tony, which glasses came bundled with your set?

#640 ·
My PN64E8000 came with 3050 3D Glasses so it looks like Samsung is clearing out the 2011 versions before shipping the 2012. The 3050's actually look higher quality than the 4100 (2012 versions) but are a bit heavier. I don't think Samsung has saved any money sending the 2011 glasses just likely clearing inventory which works as advertised. I also don't see Samsung listing specific model glasses as included but some retailers are making such like BB stating 4100's...

#641 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 /forum/post/21917416

Watched Game of thrones in with Zero lights on S1 E9.

Excellant black levels, No FBrs or Pops.

Also watched Immortals blu Ray No FBrs or pops.

I've had my panel for two weeks and my opinion is they fix the issue on the 2012 model.

Will watch 30 day of nights blu ray .

FYI No buzzing on my panel. If you get a buzzer just return the panel.

They are reports of buzzing new pannie panels.

Sounds good
...When you say "Excellent blacks", does it really mean "inky" ones or black/grey ones?

And what about 24p? Are the images super fluid? I know that the D8000 had some judder issues last year. What's the situation with the 2012 sets?

#643 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomeo /forum/post/0

Sounds good
...When you say "Excellent blacks", does it really mean "inky" ones or black/grey ones?

And what about 24p? Are the images super fluid? I know that the D8000 had some judder issues last year. What's the situation with the 2012 sets?

Cinema smooth (24 p) fix , fluid images .

Blacks are inky , like my kuro elite ..

#645 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomeo /forum/post/21918007

Sounds good

While many people like the result, this appears to be the very same "cinema smooth" 24>96hz conversion that the D series uses. There is no frame interpolation, so I'd bet you will see the same natural film judder. The only way to get rid of judder is interpolation (which panasonic still offers, but which is still prone to artifacts and soap opera effect).

The only "fix" for cinema smooth is in the comprimised black levels. Blacks rise less on the E.

#646 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker /forum/post/0

While many people like the result, this appears to be the very same "cinema smooth" 24>96hz conversion that the D series uses. There is no frame interpolation, so I'd bet you will see the same natural film judder. The only way to get rid of judder is interpolation (which panasonic still offers, but which is still prone to artifacts and soap opera effect).

The only "fix" for cinema smooth is in the comprimised black levels. Blacks rise less on the E.

Mll doesn't rise at all on the E w/cs, they drop. This was confirmed on an E6500

#647 ·
I got the 3050's with my PN64E8000 and was upset at first, but they work fine/comfortable so I didn't press the issue. I agree they shouldn't swap in a different model, but that is a manufacturer's right via the fine print.

My set is not an extreme buzzer, but it is being exchanged tomorrow as I should not be able to hear it at viewing distance during what should be clear dialogue and while using the smart hub apps. I figure once I wall mounted it the reflection would only make it louder. Otherwise, it is avery impressive set and hope the next one keeps quiet

#648 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 /forum/post/21914881

I'm really not sure how many other ways I can say the same thing here, and I can't speak for others, but as I have been saying, I am not seeing "pops" on hockey material. It is during dark scenes (shadowy rooms, night scenes, outer space, etc.). It is absolutely a failure of the set if I am seeing brightness pops. It has nothing to do with "camera flashes" for crying out loud. If I'm watching a dark, shadowy scene, and the camera moves even the slightest bit during the shot, the brightness abruptly changes, enough to totally distract me. And it happens constantly. All the dark areas of the scene instantly get brighter by a shade or two, then if the camera moves again, maybe it will darken again, or maybe get even lighter, until the shot or scene changes.

It is not "camera flashes on the rink", because I do not watch hockey! Or any sports, or any event that contains camera flashes.

And for those of us, like me, with a D7000, it is not a "D E A D" horse, because if they fixed it for the E7000, then it would be worth it to me to trade it in for that model. That makes it very relevant to this thread. So sorry that some people here get tired of reading the "same old" thing, but some of us are not happy with the brightness pops, and some of us (like me) are here specifically to learn if anything had been done to correct this for the E series sets, since that is exactly what CNET said would happen this year. I posted all of this earlier in the thread, with the quote form CNET saying that based on Samsung's words, the E series would not have brightness pops.

I do believe you have a legitimate FBR issue (aka brightness pops) on your television. I believe its been mentioned to you earlier that there is a fix. You've opted not to try it due to it voiding your warranty which is totally understandable. So now your exploring having it replaced with e7000 which is why your asking if the FBR have been fixed. The only problem with that is that most ppl here seem to be mixing up the FBR / brightness pops your experiencing with the pops in hockey which is totally different issue. I don't think ppl have an issue with the legitimate complaints about brightness pops, I think its more the fact that ppl are complaining that they are experiencing brightness pops when it really is not that. What they are experiencing is pops in hockey which seems to be an issue for all plasmas. So try to get it replaced with the new E series as I believe the brightness pops your experiencing has been fixed. If you get the E series and still experiencing the same issues then you can complain. Good luck. I do hope everything does work out for you.

#651 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomeo /forum/post/21918541

Excellent, great to hear! Really need mine! Can't wait...

Still awaiting professional reviews for the E7000 and E8000 plasmas.

Not even any Uk reviews.

It seems Panasonic paid out to have there panels reviewed first.

Its amazing that a flagship panel that has been out for a month has yet to be reviewed.

#652 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic /forum/post/21918453

"What they are experiencing is pops in hockey which seems to be an issue for all plasmas."

What? Not on my G25 it isn't.

What? When was the last time you had your eyes checked?
j/k

Perhaps I shouldn't have said all plasmas. But hockey seems to be an issue with plasmas in general at least with recent generations. Whether its from the flashes from strobe lights/cameras or dimming due to the ABL. Now I don't know if this is something recent possibly related to new energy standards or if this has always been the case with plasmas.

#653 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstrein /forum/post/21917810

My PN64E8000 came with 3050 3D Glasses so it looks like Samsung is clearing out the 2011 versions before shipping the 2012. The 3050's actually look higher quality than the 4100 (2012 versions) but are a bit heavier. I don't think Samsung has saved any money sending the 2011 glasses just likely clearing inventory which works as advertised. I also don't see Samsung listing specific model glasses as included but some retailers are making such like BB stating 4100's...

I've had the PN51E7000 (ordered on Amazon) for a few weeks- since day 1 basically. Mine shipped with the 2012 4100 glasses. They have a subtle texture to the front of them that matches the TV's bezel. They look and feel great

#654 ·
Anyone with an E-series, have you tried watching the trailer for the Ridley Scott movie Prometheus? There are several 'blackout' scenes where the screen cuts to blackness between quick clips of the movie. This is the only time I've noticed any brightness fluctuation (The TV knows it's not displaying anything, so the screen seems to turn off for a split second- it's just blackness, but it could be a little annoying if it wasn't a trailer)- Is this the same as the 'pops' people are talking about?

This is the only time I've really noticed anything mildly distracting with the picture.

#655 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namssorg /forum/post/21919097

I've had the PN51E7000 (ordered on Amazon) for a few weeks- since day 1 basically. Mine shipped with the 2012 4100 glasses. They have a subtle texture to the front of them that matches the TV's bezel. They look and feel great

Glad to hear that. I was wondering why they would ship with the old 3100/3050's? I received 4 pairs of 3050's with my 55UND8000. While I like them, I prefer the 3100's. In this case, you should get 2012 glasses with a 2012 TV IMO.

I'm also curious as to how dark 3D viewing must've been on Samsung Plasma's before this? I see people saying the 3D is "brighter". I think my LED is almost as bright as 2D viewing while using 3D with either glasses. Then again, I'm in a dark room.