AVS Forum banner
2M views 16K replies 959 participants last post by  kiwijunglist 
#1 ·

Due to limitations with forum software as of 5/01/12 I am moving the updated version of my guide over the my blog located at assassinhtpcblog.com . The guide at my blog will remain free and as time allows I will update my guide here when possible. Due to the size of my guide I am getting multiple timeouts which makes updating the guide incredibly time consuming and the forum software is very cumbersome for these guides. Thanks for the continued support.

Assassin's HTPC Buying Guide (Click Logo Below)

See less See more
#12,561 ·
Asus does something special with the memory controller and how they manage PCI lanes on Z77- Something better than the other mfg's.

Even Intel was amazed and surprised with what Asus accomplished.

From everything I have read so far Asus will probably be the top Z77 motherboard.

It's not a surprise- Since Asus has led the motherboard market for a long time.

Asrock does steal and get some hand me downs of the Asus technologies- and they are made to be close to the same quality but cheaper purchase cost.

Asrock is both an excellent motherboard and excellent value.

I own both several Asus and several Asrock motherboards, and while I can't ever imagine anyone being disappointed with Asrock for any reason- It is still obvious to me that Asus is the clear leader.

If you don't mind spending $20 more for an Asus- you usually can't go wrong IMO. If you on a budget- go Asrock.

I don't like MSI or Gigabyte and I have mixed feelings about ECS. Foxcon sucks.

It's been a long time since I tried a gigabyte, one died on me back in the socket 939 days. I bought an Asus A8n-sli deluxe and it was so obvious the Asus was better in every way imaginable I never swayed or went back to try them again.

#12,562 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21918045

I must have somehow lost the hyperlink when I re-organized the blog.

I have added the link back for you. Thanks for the heads up.

And thanks for using the guides. I am glad they have helped get you into HTPC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21918181

I think either are good options. FWIW I used to be a Gigabyte guy but I like ASUS, ASRock and some Intel boards as well. Gigabyte settles in there somewhere in the middle.

I usually don't jump the gun on newly release motherboards and CPUs when adding them to my guides. I like to read a little bit about them and see some reviews before I can form an opinion on what I think is worthwhile.

So what I am saying is that the new Ivy boards will be added to my guide. Just not in the next few days.

FYI ... That link has been dead since Dec. 2011 . I had to copy / paste and edit in paint to get it . I could not right click it either .

WWIW ... I have used the Giga board now on three builds since Dec. 2011 and found it to be an EXCELLENT choice . I find it odd that u seem to be sort of down grading it a bit . Or is it just that u see the Asus / others that much better ? Has something swayed your opinion ? Or am i reading more into this than what is there ?

#12,563 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko /forum/post/21919210

FYI ... That link has been dead since Dec. 2011 . I had to copy / paste and edit in paint to get it . I could not right click it either

Let me know when you find these things. There are over 70,000 words (probably more than that actually. I haven't done a count in a while) and I appreciate when these are pointed out and I will always fix them.

#12,565 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko /forum/post/0

FYI ... That link has been dead since Dec. 2011 . I had to copy / paste and edit in paint to get it . I could not right click it either .

WWIW ... I have used the Giga board now on three builds since Dec. 2011 and found it to be an EXCELLENT choice . I find it odd that u seem to be sort of down grading it a bit . Or is it just that u see the Asus / others that much better ? Has something swayed your opinion ? Or am i reading more into this than what is there ?

Just FYI, my gigabyte board from my build Feb 2011 died 2 weeks ago. It is currently RMA'd so I am waiting on their word as to whether they are going to send me a new one or fix mine. My next board will not be a Gigabyte. Someone else on this thread also had their Gigabyte board die as well about the same time that mine did.

#12,566 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot /forum/post/21919272

Just FYI, my gigabyte board from my build Feb 2011 died 2 weeks ago. It is currently RMA'd so I am waiting on their word as to whether they are going to send me a new one or fix mine. My next board will not be a Gigabyte. Someone else on this thread also had their Gigabyte board die as well about the same time that mine did.

There was also a really awesome Gigabyte ITX board that I used to recommend. It, unfortunately, had an atrocious failure rate so I removed it.

#12,567 ·
I see .. Huh ? Well ,since I have not seen the updated guides in a while , does that mean you will be removing the Giga boards as recommendations ?

I am a bit curious here about the Asus web site support and forum experience you have had ( AS Rock sister Co. too) and driver / chip set update results ? Be careful here .... I'm leading u a bit

#12,568 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko /forum/post/21919210

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko /forum/post/21919333

I see .. Huh ? Well ,since I have not seen the updated guides in a while , does that mean you will be removing the Giga boards as recommendations ?

I am a bit curious here about the Asus web site support and forum experience you have had ( AS Rock sister Co. too) and driver / chip set update results ? Be careful here .... I'm leading u a bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick /forum/post/21918549

Asus does something special with the memory controller and how they manage PCI lanes on Z77- Something better than the other mfg's.

Even Intel was amazed and surprised with what Asus accomplished.

From everything I have read so far Asus will probably be the top Z77 motherboard.

It's not a surprise- Since Asus has led the motherboard market for a long time.

Asrock does steal and get some hand me downs of the Asus technologies- and they are made to be close to the same quality but cheaper purchase cost.

Asrock is both an excellent motherboard and excellent value.

I own both several Asus and several Asrock motherboards, and while I can't ever imagine anyone being disappointed with Asrock for any reason- It is still obvious to me that Asus is the clear leader.

If you don't mind spending $20 more for an Asus- you usually can't go wrong IMO. If you on a budget- go Asrock.

I don't like MSI or Gigabyte and I have mixed feelings about ECS. Foxcon sucks.

It's been a long time since I tried a gigabyte, one died on me back in the socket 939 days. I bought an Asus A8n-sli deluxe and it was so obvious the Asus was better in every way imaginable I never swayed or went back to try them again.

I'll ask the same question of you snice you seem to have a history here .

Honest answers not the #an boy stuff

#12,569 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot /forum/post/21919272

That aint good my friend
So sorry to here that . Could you share the exact model # if it's not to much trouble ?

#12,570 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpritchett /forum/post/21917419

@ Fastslappy

Antec Three Hundred = USB 2.0

Antec Three Hundred Two = USB 3.0

IIRC

Yep you be right !!! .. I guess i'll just swap out the connectors when I get the mobo & case

the 300 was $45 shipped each time i got one, the last was the 300 with the blue LED fans agin $45

#12,572 ·
I guess I'll chime in on hardware. I think my Crucial M4 65GB SSD is going bad.

I started getting the BSOD 1-2 hours after the HTPC had been on (didn't matter what programs were running). When the HTPC would restart the BIOS would not see the SSD and I'd get a MSTRBOOT record not found error. I'd have to completely turn off the HTPC (switch on back of PSU) then turn it back on. It would then recognize the SSD no problem and bootup WIN7. After 1-2 hours BSOD.

Changed out SATA cable, used a different cable from the PSU, and tried different SATA ports on the mobo. Still BSOD 1-2 hours later.

Had to make a copy to a 500GB HDD and create a new MSTRBOOT record on it and I am running fine for 3 days now on the mechanical HDD.

Anyone know a good way to troubleshoot SSD's? I had loaded the latest firmware to it back last September. I know SSD's have a certain lifespan when it comes to read & writes, but it is only 8 months old and this problem seems different.

#12,573 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky13 /forum/post/21919751

I started getting the BSOD 1-2 hours after the HTPC had been on (didn't matter what programs were running). When the HTPC would restart the BIOS would not see the SSD and I'd get a MSTRBOOT record not found error. I'd have to completely turn off the HTPC (switch on back of PSU) then turn it back on. It would then recognize the SSD no problem and bootup WIN7. After 1-2 hours BSOD.

Changed out SATA cable, used a different cable from the PSU, and tried different SATA ports on the mobo. Still BSOD 1-2 hours later.

Had to make a copy to a 500GB HDD and create a new MSTRBOOT record on it and I am running fine for 3 days now on the mechanical HDD.

Anyone know a good way to troubleshoot SSD's? I had loaded the latest firmware to it back last September. I know SSD's have a certain lifespan when it comes to read & writes, but it is only 8 months old and this problem seems different.

Did you do the firmware update to fix the 5000 hour problem?

#12,574 ·
I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and was going back through Assassin's guides to do the Shark07 codec settings. The guide says that checking the box to disable Microsoft codecs on the Swap tab did not break live tv (Ceton). I'm using a HD Homerun Prime and when I did this, WMC would not let me watch TV (was working before codecs). Anyone else have this problem? Is it specific to the HD Homerun Prime, or just me?. I'm going direct from my HTPC to my TV via HDMI, latest Intel drivers (i3-2100t).

Also, on a separate topic, my splash screen no longer says Windows Media Center, just shows the green button. Not sure what happened there. Any ideas? I'm thinking about removing WMC and reinstalling. Not sure it really matters though.

#12,577 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky13 /forum/post/21919751

There is a few programs that you can test and bench mark your ssd.

First I would double check your firmware because Crucial M4's are notorious for having crashes around 5000 hours without the latest firmware.

#12,578 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick /forum/post/21920040

There is a few programs that you can test and bench mark your ssd.

First I would double check your firmware because Crucial M4's are notorious for having crashes around 5000 hours without the latest firmware.

Be careful when criticizing firmware issues. It happens to every company at some point. Its a relatively easy fix.

The Samsung F4 2TB drives had firmware issues as well in 2010. Doesn't change that its (still) a fantastic hard drive.

#12,579 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21920053

Be careful when criticizing firmware issues. It happens to every company at some point. Its a relatively easy fix.

The Samsung F4 2TB drives had firmware issues as well in 2010. Doesn't change that its (still) a fantastic hard drive.

Yup. I got two of those Sammy's too

I was not criticizing only informing him. It's true, his solution to his problem might just be a firmware fix.

I was trying to hide my dislike for the M4's... and being nice. lol.

My suggestion was meant with the purest of heart to help him.

#12,580 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.