AVS Forum banner

BlackMagic Cinema Camera - 2.5K res, 12-bit RAW video camera for $3K!

10K views 61 replies 13 participants last post by  MTyson 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson /forum/post/21916027

Posted this a little while ago. I can't wait.

Hah, I even skimmed the titles first. Your title was funny and I didn't even realize it was about the same thing, lol.

If you want to surround yourself with excited, like-minded folk... check out the thread over at dvxuser that has been blowing up all day long since the info came out:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...!-2-5k-for-3k/

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/21916036

Hah, I even skimmed the titles first. Your title was funny and I didn't even realize it was about the same thing, lol.

If you want to surround yourself with excited, like-minded folk... check out the thread over at dvxuser that has been blowing up all day long since the info came out:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...!-2-5k-for-3k/

Yeah, I should have made my subject a bit more clear on the specs, but the wait for such a camera, especially after broken promises by Red and such took over. I feel like I found MY camera finally.

I'm already on DVXUser. Love that forum. lol. I'm ecstatic about this camera primarily due to the Dynamic range, RAW format and 12-bit/10-bit capability. The 5" touch screen is awesome too. Though I'd still like to use a larger external if possible.

It's about time someone listened to low budget indie filmmakers. I commend Black Magic for this. Only thing I wish they would have offered is a Super 35mm sensor. Going fast and wide may be quite difficult. First I heard it was Micro 4/3 size, then 16mm size. Not sure exactly what the crop ratio will be.

#5 ·
It's inbetween S16 and M4/3, though they keep calling it "Four Thirds" on the floor, apparently. It seems they sacrificed S35/FF so that they could included all the other awesome features and keep the price under $3,000. Considering anything over S16 is perfectly fine, I think they made the right choice. I love that I can use consumer SSDs too, Black Friday here I come!

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/21916100

It's inbetween S16 and M4/3, though they keep calling it "Four Thirds" on the floor, apparently. It seems they sacrificed S35/FF so that they could included all the other awesome features and keep the price under $3,000. Considering anything over S16 is perfectly fine, I think they made the right choice. I love that I can use consumer SSDs too, Black Friday here I come!

This is amazing how very close to the original Red Scarlet concept of 3k for $3k this is (which turned into a $16,000 S35 camera instead. lol) along with $1,500 in software & no overpriced proprietary accessories like with Red either (ie; $50 lens caps, $1,800 for barely acceptable storage capacity)!!!???

I hope they make one with a Micro 4/3 mount (Heard they plan to) due to the increased popularity of fast wide lenses. One particular negative of this camera is the awkward sensor size and with EF mount going fast and wide will be difficult. The Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 lens is going to suddenly see a HUGE spike in sales. lol.

I am already researching lenses.
I'm stoked!
Besides the lens crop the only thing I'm worried about giving up is the low light, but with such a price I can keep my T2i or maybe upgrade to a future T4i for my low light go to camera if needed. Or use the extra money I may have spent on the FS100U or FS700 for lighting.

60p would have been nice, even at a reduce frame rate, but I can't complain after all they have offered. I'm sure they will offer more in the future. Until then Twixtor will be a useful tool for slow mo.

Great times! I'm excited to see the ripple effect this will cause in the next few years to comes, especially if they decide to do a follow up S35 camera.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/21918330

New interview with John Brawley: http://www.eoshd.com/content/7943/na...h-blackmagic-c

Some informative videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECvqjH9LYWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG4u3Nx9u7s

I'm kind of surprised by how little attention this revolutionary camera at a mind blowing price, even without including $1,600 in free software, is getting on this forum. You'd think it was the second coming judging by DVXUser forum. lol. Maybe it's too professional for consumers on this forum, which is understandable. Though I think it was designed with not just pros in mind.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 /forum/post/21918902

This sounds like my next camera. I'm going to have to follow closer on here. When is the projected release date.

Late July!!! One place is taking preorders at around $2895. About $100 or so cheaper. I'll have to search for it again.

Thanks goodness a company with business practices the polar opposite of Red. This is very close to what the original Scarlet was supposed to be, minus the three years of waiting as it evolved without knowledge, into a $16,000 Super 35mm camera.

#11 ·
Watched a few clips about it looks promising. It's only 24p-30p but that ok been using a lot more 24p in my videos lately. What lens is it going to use, was it med formate stuff.?? I'll have to watch some more sounds great so far.

Ef mount ..canon, I have a bunch of Nikon lens but no canon. Have to get a few new lens to.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 /forum/post/21919063

Watched a few clips about it looks promising. It's only 24p-30p but that ok been using a lot more 24p in my videos lately. What lens is it going to use, was it med formate stuff.?? I'll have to watch some more sounds great so far.

Ef mount ..canon, I have a bunch of Nikon lens but no canon. Have to get a few new lens to.

EF / ZE electronic mount

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 /forum/post/21919063

A lot of people are already expecting the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 (throughout the zoom range) to see a big spike in sales. One of the best first options for this camera until they release a Micro 4/3 mount.

I'm thinking the Tokina above will be the first lens I'll add if I don't wait for a Micro 4/3 mount, besides the 50mm F1.8 that I already have (which will be about a 115mm F1.8 telephoto lens on the BlackMagic Camera). Next one may be the Rokinon 24mm F1.4, then Rokinon 35mm F1.4. If I need a big telephoto I'll get the Rokinon 85mm F1.4 (about 195mm on then BMC). The Rokinon's are designed for video manual focus.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAnna2112 /forum/post/21925850

Sorry just not impressed at all with either photo..especially for a camera that cost that much. What do i know but regardless, both photos are horrible from my take.

RAW photos are supposed to be flat and washed out to retain the most highlight and shadow detail for post grading as opposed to a baked in look where you can no longer get certain looks. With RAW your white balance, exposure, colors, etc can all be graded in post.

The RAW photo is supposed to be horrible...it's a starting point...no prebaked in look....give you the ability to get many different looks. That's how movies are shot to begin with, flat and washed out to preserve highlights and shadows. Pretty much all movies look like the first photo before the colorist gets ahold of it.

Take a look at this video of the camera and if you don't appreciate this video that is blowing away everyone right now then I'd have to recommend an optometrist. lol:

http://vimeopro.com/johnbrawleytests...video/40584879

The Dynamic range is simply fantastic.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson /forum/post/21916542

One particular negative of this camera is the awkward sensor size and with EF mount going fast and wide will be difficult.

use primes

The Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 lens is going to suddenly see a HUGE spike in sales. lol.

How good is the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 ?

It is not a good lens for stills - check out this test & the 3 star rating:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/594...2828ff?start=2

it sure isn't CANON L glass !

Maybe the Tokina is OK with video ?

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster returns /forum/post/21929045

How good is the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 ?

It is not a good lens for stills - check out this test & the 3 star rating:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/594...2828ff?start=2

it sure isn't CANON L glass !

Maybe the Tokina is OK with video ?

I've always heard nothing but fantastic things about it on forums for people using it for video. It has 5 star average rating out of 84 on Amazon for the Nikon version and a 4.5/5 for the EOS version with 63 review (47 out of 63 rating it 5-stars, 10 4/5 stars, 2 3/5 stars, 3 2/5 stars 1 1-Star. You can't please everyone. Maybe some people ended up with bad copies and just had bad luck.

Another great options is the Rokinon 14mm F2.8. They are designed for Video manual focus and also make a great 24mm F1.4, 35mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.4 (obviously will be 2.3x that with the BMC).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.