AVS Forum banner

Another "will this work" thread

805 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  wyen78 
#1 ·
I've been playing with gamebrowser on my laptop while thinking about piecing together a HTPC.

I'm going to use it for movies (3D and 2D), music, and emulators. The most demanding task with be the emulator for ps2. I might also use the computer for ripping blurays and light video conversions (just for my samsung galaxy player 4).

I already bought the MB so hopefully it's okay.

MB:GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128495

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Still need:

CPU: i5 2500k (I'm not sure but I think pcsx2(ps2 emu) runs better with quad core so I pick this over the i3 2120)

GPU: Nvidia GTX560Ti

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130604

RAM:4GB DDR3 (2X2GB) Gskill ripjaws DDR3 1600

Case: Silverstone LC17

HDD: 2X 2TB (the case will hold up to 6) plus 1 64GB SSD

Optical drive: slot load bluray drive

PSU: I'm not sure, I think 750 watts should cover it even if I add up to 6HDD.

corsair
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139030

or seasonic
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151107

main concern is if the psu is big enough for everything.

See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/21923717

Those PSUs are overkill.

How much wattage should I be looking for? I entered in the cpu, gpu, hdd etc into a calculator and it came up with around 550 watts. I used 6 HDD in the calculator instead of 2 cause I'll probably need to increase storage sooner rather than later.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon /forum/post/21924898

Why a 560? I'd go 7850 today. 680 is ideal, but lots of $.

Since you got the motherboard, too late to suggest waiting a week for ivy bridge.

I only picked the 560ti cause I saw some pcsx2 benchmarks and someone had a 560ti that seemed to run most games at a high FPS. I think I might be able to make do with the 550watt power supply, an i3-2100 or 2120, and perhaps the gtx460 or ati equivalent whatever that is.

Whats the advantage of the 7850 over the 560? And are either of these worth 100 bucks more than the gtx460 if the only reason I'm getting a video card is for emulators (which people say are more CPU heavy). As for modern pc games, I might play a few here and there but I'm not that picky about super high resolutions and the absolute best FPS, I'd probably play older games anyways.

#7 ·
GTX560Ti should be fine for what you're doing but the 7850 can be had for about the same price as the EVGA you linked up. 7850 performs a little better but you cant go wrong with the EVGA. Nice card.

My current "power" setup consists of a Phenom II X4 955BE with a MSI GTX560Ti. Does the job... doesnt make me want to upgrade for now.

EDIT: Oh and GTX460 or HD6870 would be fine too if you don't wanna spend 200+. This EVGA GTX560 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130770 ), which can be had 130$ would be my choice.

#8 ·
It amazes me how many of these threads crop up when there are several sticky threads with recommended components that have been tested to work. Stick with the recommended hardware and you can't go wrong. I've built multiple HTPCs using only recommended components from renethx and assassin and never had any issues.

If you want to experiment with other hardware, try it and let us know how it turns out rather than ask "will this work?"
If the hardware you've chosen is similar to any of the recommended components (i.e., motherboards with tested chipsets, CPUs, and memory) then rational thought should tell you that it has more than a reasonable chance of working in your system.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video /forum/post/21928789

It amazes me how many of these threads crop up when there are several sticky threads with recommended components that have been tested to work. Stick with the recommended hardware and you can't go wrong. I've built multiple HTPCs using only recommended components from renethx and assassin and never had any issues.

If you want to experiment with other hardware, try it and let us know how it turns out rather than ask "will this work?"
If the hardware you've chosen is similar to any of the recommended components (i.e., motherboards with tested chipsets, CPUs, and memory) then rational thought should tell you that it has more than a reasonable chance of working in your system.

I have read assassins guide and am currently reading his htpc blog. What I require is a little different because I want to emulate PS2 games. And I'd rather ask a question because I don't know the answer than buy components, put them together, trouble shoot emulators, and then have to repackage and mail them back.

I'm sorry I somehow made you read my thread instead of just ignoring it.

It was ridiculous of me to think that people here who use mediabrowser might have emulators running and might be able to recommend some good products or some good deals. I know....crazy right?

Thanks Blockmonster. I think I'll go with the i3-2125 (saves 30 bucks over i5-2400) and the card you linked to which will save another 100. And the 550 psu saves another 50.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.