AVS Forum banner

LG PASSIVE LM6200 dedicated thread...

281K views 1K replies 236 participants last post by  noobtv 
#1 ·
Time for a dedicated thread. I ordered 65LM6200 few days back and waiting for delivery. Will post pictures when i get mine.

Edit: Fixed the title.

Edit: 4/8/2012 - 65LM6200 vs. 65LW6500 comparison added

Model : 65LM6200 vs. 65LW6500

Model Year: 2012 vs. 2011

Dynamic Contrast Ratio(DCR) : 6M vs. 9M

Image Contrast Ratio (ICR): ?? vs. 40K (According to Amazon;need data for 6200)

Local Dimming: Yes (confirmed by hibeta) vs. Yes

Gloss/Matte : Gloss vs. Gloss

Price(best as of today): 2800 vs. 2300

THX Mode: No vs. Yes

MCI (what is MCI anyway??): Low vs. High (according to sje3156)

Sound Mode: 7 mode vs. 5 Mode

Vesa(mount):400x400 vs. 600x400

3D Glasses Included: 6 vs. 4

Dimension(without stand): 60.6"x36.4"x1.5" vs. 61.2"x37"x1.7"

Weight (lbs without stand): 89.5 vs. 92.6

Wifi: Built-in vs. Adapter Included

Aspect Ratio: 6 Modes(extra Zoom) vs. 5 Modes

USB: 3 vs. 2

AV & Component : 1 each vs. 2 each

Remote: 3 mode Magic only (2nd genration) vs. Magic(1st gen) + Standard

Backlit: Edge LED vs. ?? (need data for 6500)

3D Dual Play capable: Yes vs. ??

Power Consumption max: 270W s 240W

Skype Ready: Yes vs. No

Web Browser: Full vs. limited ( to be confirmed)

See less See more
#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brecklington /forum/post/21929030

Thanks for this wonderful news... The Trumotion situation was really starting to pick at the back of my mind... I'm still within my return policy as well. I was considering suggesting we put together a group message to LG, however, you have given us all the information we all wanted! Thanks for doing that and sharing your news. I'll stop checking for updates daily going forward :). Now all we need is the service menu access and everyone will be as happy as can be!

Does anybody know if the screen for the 65LM6200is as glossy as the 65LW6500? I know the LM7600 have a coating on it to refelct less light. It looks greenish kind of like the anti glare on glasses.

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by torres0428 /forum/post/21934896

Does anybody know if the screen for the 65LM6200is as glossy as the 65LW6500? I know the LM7600 have a coating on it to refelct less light. It looks greenish kind of like the anti glare on glasses.

Yes, the screen is glossy. Not as glossy as other screens found in other sets. I'd say it's almost a mix. A dull gloss, if that makes sense. I believe it is equal to the 6500 from my experience, when considering both models.

#104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brecklington /forum/post/21934922

Yes, the screen is glossy. Not as glossy as other screens found in other sets. I'd say it's almost a mix. A dull gloss, if that makes sense. I believe it is equal to the 6500 from my experience, when considering both models.

see, I think the LM7600 have a dull glossy. Where it reflects but the reflection is blurry. As for the 65LW6500 had almost a mirror like glossy

#107 ·
Hey im looking for a new tv for my dorm room.. There are two models that im currently choosing between the lm6200 and Ls5700. would a 40" be too big for my single dorm room? Im kinda leanin towards the 32" version seems to have more features at a cheaper price..Can anyone help me decide

LG 32" LM6200 $650

-3D(6 pairs of glasses)

-120hz

-internet and built in apps

or

LG 40" LS5700

-built in apps and web

-1080p

-120hz

#109 ·
Good morning fellow LG owners! Life's Good! I picked up a 65LM6200 at HHGregg's last night for $2450 so I am a happy camper to say the least! Anyone here been able to get into the service menu on this set yet? I have read the LW6500 thread from beginning to end and gained a great deal of knowledge of the inner workings of that set and was wondering if any of you here have tried to apply any of the tips, hints, hacks, etc. to the LM6200? I also am not seeing the THX mode in my settings menu. Is it the Cinema setting? The user guide says there is a THX mode but not quite sure how to get there. Going from a 62" Toshiba DLP circa 2004, I am almost overwhelmed by the amount of settings and things to play with! Also, does the resolution upscaler come set to on or does it have to be enabled? I saw a menu setting called "Super Resolution" that was set to on and I am thinking that might be it. Standard Def broadcast seems very sharp but then again consider the set I was viewing on previously. I am blown away by the clarity and realism of the set. I am in love with it. The 3d is also amazing! I so much prefer it to Active! No flicker or ghosting AT ALL. When I looked at active sets I found Panasonic to be by far the best of the bunch although there was still noticeable flicker around the perimeter of objects which is something I never see on LG passive sets that I've viewed (the LM7600 and LM6200). Glad to be a member of the "club". I look forward to unlocking the potential of this set with everyone here!

#110 ·
I just received myLG 65LM6200 to replace my Sammy HLT5687s. My first impressions had been awesome. Trumotion gave me a headache.. disabled. Auto environment sensors... disabled. The list goes on and on. If you want a TRUE picture, you pretty much have to disable any post-processing, at the very least, pick the options with the LEAST impact.

What stood out the most disappointing is that "smart" section. Frankly, its stupid. You are force fed these "cards" you cant hide or reorder. Amazon VOD isnt available on 2012 models. theres an ad for k-pop something when you click it says the tv isnt supported. theres no developer mode to "hack" this crap away. I guess the roku stays.

Imagine buying a car, and the seat doesnt adjust, the mirrors dont adjust, the steering wheel doesnt adjust, and the car company says "you can program the radio!"... yea, its like that. Debating a return on this alone. Lack of foresight gives me NO trust in LG's support or improvements.

#111 ·
Sorry to hear of your disappointment. I don't plan to use much besides 3d world, NBA Gametime, Facebook, Twitter and the browser so the Smart TV part doesn't concern me much. The picture is oustanding. The 2d to 3d is pretty good too and the resolution upscaler makes SD look MUCH better than it used to. Overall, very satisfied. Did notice minor clouding in one area of the screen but used the microfiber cloth massage to cure that ill. I will be wall mounting it so I will wait to see how that does. It's been said that these 65" LG edge-lit LED sets lose clouding and flashlighting when wall mounted sometimes. I am not seeing any flashlighting as was reported on many LW6500's so that's good news. Now if I can figure out how to access the service menu I'll be all set!

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott70 /forum/post/21953287

Good morning fellow LG owners! Life's Good! I picked up a 65LM6200 at HHGregg's last night for $2450 so I am a happy camper to say the least! Anyone here been able to get into the service menu on this set yet? I have read the LW6500 thread from beginning to end and gained a great deal of knowledge of the inner workings of that set and was wondering if any of you here have tried to apply any of the tips, hints, hacks, etc. to the LM6200? I also am not seeing the THX mode in my settings menu. Is it the Cinema setting? The user guide says there is a THX mode but not quite sure how to get there. Going from a 62" Toshiba DLP circa 2004, I am almost overwhelmed by the amount of settings and things to play with! Also, does the resolution upscaler come set to on or does it have to be enabled? I saw a menu setting called "Super Resolution" that was set to on and I am thinking that might be it. Standard Def broadcast seems very sharp but then again consider the set I was viewing on previously. I am blown away by the clarity and realism of the set. I am in love with it. The 3d is also amazing! I so much prefer it to Active! No flicker or ghosting AT ALL. When I looked at active sets I found Panasonic to be by far the best of the bunch although there was still noticeable flicker around the perimeter of objects which is something I never see on LG passive sets that I've viewed (the LM7600 and LM6200). Glad to be a member of the "club". I look forward to unlocking the potential of this set with everyone here!

how did you get it for so cheap?

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott70 /forum/post/21953781

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. I don't plan to use much besides 3d world, NBA Gametime, Facebook, Twitter and the browser so the Smart TV part doesn't concern me much. The picture is oustanding. The 2d to 3d is pretty good too and the resolution upscaler makes SD look MUCH better than it used to.

i can concur on these points. And its been wallmounted... building shelves around it which will have a curtain between them and the tv once completed (floating tv in front of curtains). But if you are going to market "smart" dont be stupid about it
So anyone hack this thing yet? My tivo was hacked, my androids are hacked... I dont mind fixing it myself.

#114 ·
I just went into the store and explained to the sales guy what my scenario was and that if I walked out of their store empty handed I'd be going straight home and ordering a 65LW6500 from Amazon.com. He really wanted to get that business from them and his manager approved $2450 to get the deal done. You just have to ask and if not there is always someone else who will negotiate.

#115 ·
No doubt! I was able to program my Harmony 880 with the remote from the LW6500 and the LM6200. I like the Magic Wand remote but I prefer a standard remote for alot of technical type configuration. I was also able to add the service menu button which when pressed will bring up the password entry window that requires a 4 digit pin to enter the service menu. I have tried the codes for the LW6500 and they don't work. Has anyone been able to enter the service menu in the LM6200 sets? Any suggestions on codes to try? I want to be able to configure and hack this set the way the LW6500 has been done. Thanks!

#116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott70 /forum/post/21957848

No doubt! I was able to program my Harmony 880 with the remote from the LW6500 and the LM6200. I like the Magic Wand remote but I prefer a standard remote for alot of technical type configuration. I was also able to add the service menu button which when pressed will bring up the password entry window that requires a 4 digit pin to enter the service menu. I have tried the codes for the LW6500 and they don't work. Has anyone been able to enter the service menu in the LM6200 sets? Any suggestions on codes to try? I want to be able to configure and hack this set the way the LW6500 has been done. Thanks!

I think it will be a different code this year. Last year code brings you to a grayed out service menu

#117 ·
Hello, Is anyone else dropping connection while watching a movie on the Netflix app? 55LM6200. I'm about 10 minutes in and then it freezes on the Netflix buffering screen. Then I try to back out and the tv goes blank....I have to power off the tv and then it works again.

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by torres0428 /forum/post/21958280

I think it will be a different code this year. Last year code brings you to a grayed out service menu

Which code are you using? When I enter 0413 or 8741 I get a "wrong password" dialog. I can't even enter the service menu much less see one that is greyed out. What model do you have? I am using a 65LM6200. Thanks!

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by torres0428 /forum/post/21958280

I stand corrected. I thought I tried 0413 before but I did last night and I was able to get into the service menu. Not all options are greyed out but most are. I wonder if using a different code for this year's model would open that up or if it's a key press sequence or something? I would LOVE to be able to turn on THX and THX 3d. The THX settings seem to be very popular with the LW6500 owners. How frustrating!

#121 ·
I purchased this with the thought that it might help me get into the service menu but I didn't really find much in it that helped. I thought I'd share with everyone here in case you can find some use for it. Here is the link:
LG 65LM6200 Service Manual

Have a great day!

#123 ·
I've got Expert 1 set up as follows:

BAcklight: 70

Contrast: 63

Brightness: 58

vsharpness: 20

hsharpness: 20

color: 56

tint: r5

Expert Control:

Dynamic Contrast: Low

Super Resolution: On

Color Gamut: Standard

Gamma: 2.4

White Balance:

Color: Medium

Picture Option:

Noise Reduction: Medium

MPEG Noise Reduction: Medium

Black Level: Low

Real Cinema: On

TruMotion: sometimes Clear, sometimes low or off

I find this produces a fairly good picture. I do admit I don't know what some of the settings really are or do....open to new ideas..

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibeta /forum/post/21973231

I've got Expert 1 set up as follows:

BAcklight: 70

Contrast: 63

Brightness: 58

vsharpness: 20

hsharpness: 20

color: 56

tint: r5

Expert Control:

Dynamic Contrast: Low

Super Resolution: On

Color Gamut: Standard

Gamma: 2.4

White Balance:

Color: Medium

Picture Option:

Noise Reduction: Medium

MPEG Noise Reduction: Medium

Black Level: Low

Real Cinema: On

TruMotion: sometimes Clear, sometimes low or off

I find this produces a fairly good picture. I do admit I don't know what some of the settings really are or do....open to new ideas..

Hibeta,

Do you actually own a 55LM6200? I ask because so far, no owners of a 55LM6200 model have been able to locate the TruMotion menu. I see in your post you list all 3 modes. Please confirm your model number for us. I'm guessing you actually own a 65" (65LM6200) model. If it's a 55LM6200, please go to help > software update and confirm your firmware version for us.

Thanks in advance!

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibeta /forum/post/21973293

I was responding to the immediate prior post which requested settings for the 65lm6200...which is what I have. Sorry for any confusion.

Cool, thanks for replying so fast. Sorry about that, I see you were going over the 65" settings. I've got 55" tunnel vision at the moment due to the TruMotion missing issue. I'm currently in a discussion with LG Canada and wanted to confirm as the conversation is getting some attention and someone from their management department is scheduled to call me about this issue. Just wanted to confirm my info is 100% for when we have our call. For all you 55LM6200 owners, I'll be posting the results as soon as the conversation concludes.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.