AVS Forum banner

'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD

133K views 3K replies 126 participants last post by  hooked01 
#1 ·
From the "Hot Off The Press" thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page):

TV Notes
CBS Announces Cast For 'The Amazing Race 18'

By StarsEntertainment.com - January 19th, 2011

For the 18th season of The Amazing Race, teams will settle some "unfinished business."

At the end of the 17th season finale, a teaser promo aired for the upcoming season. The trailer says, "They are some of the most memorable, dynamic, and interesting teams ever to run the race. They didn't come in first. Some didn't cross the finish line. But you love them anyway. For these teams, the Amazing Race competition has always been unfinished business."

Amazing Race 18 Cast

Kynt and Vyxsin -- The Dating Goths from season 12; finished in 5th place.

Ronald and Christina -- Father and Daughter from season 12; finished in 2nd place.

Jamie and Cara -- Former NFL Cheerleaders from season 14; finished in 2nd place.

Margie and Luke -- Mother and Son from season 14; finished in 3rd place.

Kisha and Jen -- Sisters from season 14; finished in 4th place.

Mel and Mike -- Father and Son from season 14; finished in 6th place.

Amanda and Kris -- Dating Couple from season 14; finished in 8th place.

Flight Time and Big Easy -- Harlem Globetrotters from season 15; finished in 4th place.

Zev and Justin -- Best Friends from season 15; finished in 9th place.

Jet and Cord -- The Cowboys from season 16; finished in 2nd place.

Gary and Mallory -- Father and Daughter from season 17; finished in 6th place.

Sources: http://www.starsentertainment.com/tv...g-race-18.html and http://www.homorazzi.com/article/the...stin-jet-cord/

See less See more
#577 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/21940671

And I also don't think I've cheered as much for any duo as Bopper and Mark... As for the non-elimination leg, I think they usually have their last one about this time anyway.

I think the majority of folks would have given up on that dancing challenge .. it was humid, he was tired, Bopper was trying to get him to take the penality .. etc ..

To go, I believe, 11 tries, says a lot about him .. they may be a long shot for the win, but I'm rooting none the less ..

Go Team Kentucky ..

#578 ·
Two things.

First, given so many of the physical tasks are harder for the all-women teams, there is nothing more irritating than a guy from an alpha-male team bitching and moaning about how hard a task is because he's a guy. Apparently he failed to notice that about half the pro dancers were guys too. Just because he and his partner are clutzes with no rythym doesn't mean that they are poor disadvantaged males who can't be expected to do as well as the women. Cry me a freakin' river. After listening to Border Patrol's constant whining during the dance task, I was actually rooting for Rachel to kick their asses and finish both tasks first, as obnoxious and ridiculous as I find her.

Second, I get that it was hot and he was tired, but what was with the "it's not worth it if I can't walk my kids down the aisle" nonsense from Kentucky? There are producers at every task (and, I believe, medics)... if he was in any real danger of heat exhaustion, they'd have pulled the plug. I'm fairly confident that Bollywood dancing has a low body count.

(Also, it looks super fun. Someone should start Bollywood dance fitness classes.)

Oh, and the NEL's are totally predetermined. I can't remember them ever having an NEL when there were less than 5 teams left, and they had one more this season. It would have leaked by now if they tried to manipulate the game, and it's not worth it for CBS -- it's a federal crime.

#579 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow /forum/post/21940866

Two things.

First, given so many of the physical tasks are harder for the all-women teams, there is nothing more irritating than a guy from an alpha-male team bitching and moaning about how hard a task is because he's a guy. Apparently he failed to notice that about half the pro dancers were guys too. Just because he and his partner are clutzes with no rythym doesn't mean that they are poor disadvantaged males who can't be expected to do as well as the women. Cry me a freakin' river. After listening to Border Patrol's constant whining during the dance task, I was actually rooting for Rachel to kick their asses and finish both tasks first, as obnoxious and ridiculous as I find her.

Second, I get that it was hot and he was tired, but what was with the "it's not worth it if I can't walk my kids down the aisle" nonsense from Kentucky? There are producers at every task (and, I believe, medics)... if he was in any real danger of heat exhaustion, they'd have pulled the plug. I'm fairly confident that Bollywood dancing has a low body count.

My take on the Border Patrol guys was more along the lines of "When you had an advantage early in the game due to you speaking the lingo of the land, that was fine .. yet now, when White Men Can't Dance comes down, it's suddenly unfair .. " Really .. ??

On Mark, yes, I'll agree there was some vocal drama, but I did not feel that detracted too much from his resolve eventually conquering the task ..

#581 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp /forum/post/21940972

To me the try he finally got it right didn't look any better than the ones he failed.

I thought the same thing. And, the Internal Auditor in me came out about that time because he was ready to go home and I actually wondered if they were trying so hard to get him to not quit because it WASN'T an elimination leg. Otherwise, why would they have hime come out for one last try and then pass him on, especially since he obviously messed up at the end.

I'm still rooting for them, however.

#582 ·
I think there was some degree of allowance given to more than just Mark on the dance routine .. not all looked spot on perfect to me yet still passed ..

#583 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/21941258

I think there was some degree of allowance given to more than just Mark on the dance routine .. not all looked spot on perfect to me yet still passed ..
Vanessa looked absolutely perfect to me . . .

#584 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 /forum/post/21941837

Vanessa looked absolutely perfect to me . . .

I'd agree with that .. in fact, I don't think she even looked at another dancer .. she had the routine down ..

#585 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/21941258

Yeah, even the pilot's wife wasn't perfect. She had enough small flubs that I was a little surprised at the small flub that they stopped team green on, on her first try. It almost made me feel sorry for Rachel for a moment, but when the outfielder let that grounder trickle to the boundary in the Cricket challenge it cured me of any sympathy for Rachel.

AFA, Mark's final try, it looked to me like they waited until all the other teams made it to the pit stop and then let him pass even though he was getting worse instead of better due to being so tired.

#586 ·
Well, whether or not Mark got more leeway in the dance challenge, the one thing that remains the same is Team Kentucky would have still stayed in the game regardless .. and I think that's a good thing ..

I'll add that Rachel did seem somewhat less annoying .. probably because Team Border Patrol took top honors on the annoying scale ..

#587 ·
If there is no big bunching opportunity in the next leg -- which there may not be, as history suggests they will be in India for two legs -- Kentucky are goners anyway. I would bet they are at least 4 hours behind the 3rd and 4th place teams, and without bunching, the chances of them successfully doing a speed bump and catching up are pretty low. There would have to be a disaster for another team.

#588 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow /forum/post/21942262

If there is no big bunching opportunity in the next leg -- which there may not be, as history suggests they will be in India for two legs -- Kentucky are goners anyway. I would bet they are at least 4 hours behind the 3rd and 4th place teams, and without bunching, the chances of them successfully doing a speed bump and catching up are pretty low. There would have to be a disaster for another team.

Unless, of course, the producers "intentionally" set up a bunching ..

#589 ·

Quote:

There isn't a bunching. They are still in Cochin.

Episode title: "I Need Hair to Be Pretty (Cochin, India)"

I wonder who says it?

#590 ·
I don't know how we can assume there won't be a bunching .. what about an "Opening Time" bunch .. ?? Or a required plane trip to another Indian city .. ?? Just sayin' ..

#592 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 /forum/post/21940345

Am I the only one that thinks that the producers just made up this non elimination leg for dramatic effect?

The non-elimination legs usually follow continent jumps so it is not surprising no one was eliminated. The practice started fairly regularly after one team got a day ahead of everyone else.

#593 ·

Quote:

Well, they dropped some interesting teasers in the preview clip. They showed Rachel being confronted with having to shave her head. So they must have taken a FF (since I can't imagine TAR having head shaving as part of a regular roadblock or detour). And I can't imagine Rachel actual shaving her head like that black woman did a few seasons back (you'd think the women would know not to take the FF in countries with head shaving rituals by now
), so perhaps the FF might still be available for Kentucky to use.

And they showed Vanessa doing a face plant and apparently injuring her ankle. So if that injury is bad enough to take them out of the race then Kentucky will be saved.

But yeah, it looks like it's going to require a disaster to another team to save Kentucky this week. But in TAR, disaster is always just one bad cabbie away...

#594 ·
Based on last week's preview that showed Mark saying he was ready to quit, I was already suspicious they wouldn't. Then when showing the pit stop after Dave and Rachel got the directions to it and Phil's voice over ended with "the last team to arrive may be eliminated", it seemed pretty much assured that they would finish the challenge and continue on to race another day. And it was very evident that the Indians running/judging the dance task had been given instructions to make sure Mark passed on his final attempt. Even Bopper who had just talked him out of continuing on, all the sudden wanted him to "just give it one more try". Wonder why that was
. At any rate, I understand people wanting to root for them but their whole story/edit has been so orchestrated that it's having the exact opposite effect on me. I was like, "Just quit whining and finish the frickin' task or go home",
. You'd think they were the only team in TAR history who actually needed the money

As far as the border patrol guys go, I actually thought that their edit on the dance routine was funny as hell. The continuing clips of Art's commentary on the sideline saying dudes can't dance and updating the men vs women finisher tally was cracking me up. Yeah, those guys (especially JJ) are really arrogant, but I didn't really get the idea that they were complaining about the task being unfair as much as just that it sucked for them in general, and particularly with JJ being the one up on the stage.

From next weeks previews it looks like they're bringing back the seldom used forced hair cut task. What a deliciously perfect challenge for Green Rachel to draw
. The injury Vanessa suffers looks potentially serious like an Achilles tendon rupture possibly? It kinda looks like it may have just popped sending her hard to the pavement and giving her a nice roadrash patch on her shoulder as well....

ron

#595 ·
I guess I'm just hoping against all odds Team Kentucky makes it thru the next leg ..

I remember the head shaving from way back .. can't recall the season, but I seem to remember she really struggled thru it .. if Rachel actually does it, my respect for her will go up several notches ..

#601 ·
If there is a head-shaving Fast Forward, there is exactly a 0.00% chance that Vanessa or Rachel will do it. Way too vain for that.

Also, I am very disappointed that there was no bikini clad bodybuilding challenge or run through the streets in your underwear challenge! There was some fine eye-candy this season.