AVS Forum banner
154K views 683 replies 131 participants last post by  teasip 
#1 ·
The replacement for the 770--Sony BDP-S780 blu-ray player has been released.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...07309#features

After a quick review, I don't see many differences/improvements over the 770. The only new feature I've noticed so far is the addition of Skype capability.

#654 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 /forum/post/21918487

I dragged out my old S570 and listened for clicking (while viewing a movie and not making menu or disc selections with Volume turned off) and compared the same to my 780. Other than the low disc spinning hum/noise I don't hear anything else.

I was watching The Million Dollar Baby last night and didn't notice any clicking at all so I guess it depends on the disc.

#655 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 /forum/post/21918511

This has happened to me a few times before. The software on the player and/or the disc can hang/or freeze the player. The few times this happened to me in the past I just reset the player( hold down the power button on the front of the unit for 10-20 seconds until the player reboots)

Likewise if you've filled up the memory on the USB stick that can cause the player to freeze too.

Thanks, you've just put my mind at ease.
I was watching The Da Vinci code when it happened and it's a BD-Live disc but I don't have a USB stick plugged in so maybe that's what caused the freezing, although it's strange that it would happen in the middle of the film and not the menu or something.

#656 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker25 /forum/post/21918526

Thanks, you've just put my mind at ease.
I was watching The Da Vinci code when it happened and it's a BD-Live disc but I don't have a USB stick plugged in so maybe that's what caused the freezing, although it's strange that it would happen in the middle of the film and not the menu or something.

The BDP-S780 doesn't have any on-board memory ( One of the complaints when it first came out). It needs memory to store the BD Live data/updates as well as special Blu ray disc features etc. While I can't know if this is what caused your system to freeze or not, its probably a good idea to add some memory when you can via a USB Flash Drive.

If you are interested, I purchased an inexpensive 8 GB high speed USB for $12 on Amazon.com ( rated almost five stars by over 400 customers) and has worked without issue for me since I installed it. You really don't need 8GBs but at this price why not.
Patriot Xporter XT Boost 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive PEF8GUSB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

#657 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 /forum/post/21918939

The BDP-S780 doesn't have any on-board memory ( One of the complaints when it first came out). It needs memory to store the BD Live data/updates as well as special Blu ray disc features etc. While I can't know if this is what caused your system to freeze or not, its probably a good idea to add some memory when you can via a USB Flash Drive.

If you are interested, I purchased an inexpensive 8 GB high speed USB for $12 on Amazon.com ( rated almost five stars by over 400 customers) and has worked without issue for me since I installed it. You really don't need 8GBs but at this price why not.
Patriot Xporter XT Boost 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive PEF8GUSB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

I have two USB sticks - 16GB & 8GB. I hardly ever use the 8GB one so I'll just use that one. Is it safe to leave it plugged in all the time?

#658 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker25 /forum/post/21919060

I have two USB sticks - 16GB & 8GB. I hardly ever use the 8GB one so I'll just use that one. Is it safe to leave it plugged in all the time?

Yes, ...just plug it into the rear USB port and leave it there. Going forward just consider it a part of your S780. That way you'll have instant access to all your BD Live info and any special Blu ray functions loaded when you view your BDs. You can use the front USB port for whatever else you like.

Note: if ever you are looking for something to do...you can select and download video samples from the site below from your PC to your USB drive and then plug into your S780 for viewing:
http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/hi...n-trailers.php

#659 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 /forum/post/21919120

Yes, ...just plug it into the rear USB port and leave it there. Going forward just consider it a part of your S780. That way you'll have instant access to all your BD Live info and any special Blu ray functions loaded when you view your BDs. You can use the front USB port for whatever else you like.

Ok thx. One more question - does this player support exact time input? Say if I wanna jump to 1 hour, 23 mins & 35 seconds.

On my old LG you could just input the time directly but I can't seem to find that option on this player. Some discs have extremely long chapters and it's annoying having to fast forward through them.

#661 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 /forum/post/21919120

Note: if ever you are looking for something to do...you can select and download video samples from the site below from your PC to your USB drive and then plug into your S780 for viewing:

How do you download samples from this site? If I click on the part #s of the file I want to download, it saying me to use download manager...I tried to do that but still its not working.

#663 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanishq02 /forum/post/21920341

How do you download samples from this site? If I click on the part #s of the file I want to download, it saying me to use download manager...I tried to do that but still its not working.

Try this:

go to:

Click on:

Part # of the sample you want to download

On the next page, Click on:

>>Download

#665 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanishq02 /forum/post/21924336

Thanks...I got it now. Somehow I missed >>Download

#666 ·
Sony's 4K-upscaling BDP-S790 Blu-ray player available online, hits stores May 6th
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/24/s...ine-in-stores/

By Jason Hidalgo posted Apr 24th 2012 6:07AM

If you've been itching for Sony to take your money since it announced its flagship BDP-S790 Blu-ray player, then get ready to open up that wallet. The device is now available at Sony's online store for $249.99, with an estimated ship date of April 24th. The dual-core player (yes, there's a dual-core CPU in here!) will also be available in stores on May 6th for folks who prefer schlepping their electronics the old-fashioned way. Besides 4K upscaling and 3D playback, the BDP-S790 features DLNA, Netflix, VUDU, Amazon Instant Video, Slacker, Pandora, Twitter and Facebook capabilities. For more details, feel free to peruse the PR after the break.

Show full PR text

SONY ANNOUNCES ARRIVAL OF ITS 2012 FLAGSHIP BLU-RAY DISC PLAYER WITH DUAL-CORE PROCESSOR

What: Sleek, fast and smart - the new Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Disc™ player is now available for consumer pre-order. In addition to Blu-ray Disc, DVD and CD playback, this WiFi® connected flag-ship model supports digital services from Sony Entertainment Network and a variety of other providers, including UltraViolet™ streaming services powered by VUDU. With its built-in 4K upscaling, the BDP-S790 player also delivers superior playback quality from a number of other HD and SD sources – even those in 3D!

Key Features

- Dual core processor for faster response

- 4K upscaling

- IP Content Noise Reduction

- Dual HDMI outputs

- IR input

Sony Entertainment Network

- Video Unlimited

- Music Unlimited

- Netflix

- Flixter

- VUDU

- Amazon Instant Video

- Slacker

- Pandora

- And many more Internet powered services

- Social media integration with Socialize, Twitter and Facebook

- Entertainment Database Browser with Gracenote technology

- DLNA Client and photo, music, and video playback

- HomeShare Network Speaker compatible

- Photo, music, and video playback via front USB

- "Media Remote" (iPhone/iPod touch/Android BD Remote Control application)

- Available for about $249

When: Pre-order – April 22

In stores – May 6

Where: Online at www.store.sony.com , at Sony Stores and at electronics retailers nationwide

#667 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 /forum/post/21944225

Sony's 4K-upscaling BDP-S790 Blu-ray player available online, hits stores May 6th
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/24/s...ine-in-stores/

By Jason Hidalgo posted Apr 24th 2012 6:07AM

If you've been itching for Sony to take your money since it announced its flagship BDP-S790 Blu-ray player, then get ready to open up that wallet. The device is now available at Sony's online store for $249.99, with an estimated ship date of April 24th. The dual-core player (yes, there's a dual-core CPU in here!) will also be available in stores on May 6th for folks who prefer schlepping their electronics the old-fashioned way. Besides 4K upscaling and 3D playback, the BDP-S790 features DLNA, Netflix, VUDU, Amazon Instant Video, Slacker, Pandora, Twitter and Facebook capabilities. For more details, feel free to peruse the PR after the break.

Show full PR text

SONY ANNOUNCES ARRIVAL OF ITS 2012 FLAGSHIP BLU-RAY DISC PLAYER WITH DUAL-CORE PROCESSOR

What: Sleek, fast and smart - the new Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Disc™ player is now available for consumer pre-order. In addition to Blu-ray Disc, DVD and CD playback, this WiFi® connected flag-ship model supports digital services from Sony Entertainment Network and a variety of other providers, including UltraViolet™ streaming services powered by VUDU. With its built-in 4K upscaling, the BDP-S790 player also delivers superior playback quality from a number of other HD and SD sources – even those in 3D!

Key Features

- Dual core processor for faster response

- 4K upscaling

- IP Content Noise Reduction

- Dual HDMI outputs

- IR input

Sony Entertainment Network

- Video Unlimited

- Music Unlimited

- Netflix

- Flixter

- VUDU

- Amazon Instant Video

- Slacker

- Pandora

- And many more Internet powered services

- Social media integration with Socialize, Twitter and Facebook

- Entertainment Database Browser with Gracenote technology

- DLNA Client and photo, music, and video playback

- HomeShare Network Speaker compatible

- Photo, music, and video playback via front USB

- "Media Remote" (iPhone/iPod touch/Android BD Remote Control application)

- Available for about $249

When: Pre-order – April 22

In stores – May 6

Where: Online at www.store.sony.com , at Sony Stores and at electronics retailers nationwide

What it comes down to IMHO is how well it upscales to 4k. If there's a marked improvement, I'd bite for $250.

#670 ·
I've started to notice some goofy things happening with my S780. When a disk first starts playing or resumes after a lengthy pause, the sound cuts out for about 2 seconds but then everything syncs up and is ok. Also, some titling issues, although I wonder if it's with my Chuck Season 5 BD set. Disk one is listed as disk 3 ( there are only 2 disks in the set), and now Disk two says Castle Season 5 instead of Chuck Season 5 Disk 2.

Is this the gracenote database that's keeps popping up?

Sorry, strange but true...

#671 ·
I have Sony Blu Ray BDP-S780 and I just noticed the new foreign movies Netflix added Subtitles are missing but when watching on my Mac there is subtitles WTF is that about? Can anyone help? Why doesn't Sony just update to 1080P, 5.1 surround to the new UI for Netflix to make it easier for customers?

#672 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVolino  /t/1324700/official-sony-bdp-s780-thread/480#post_21716200

Ok, is anyone else having trouble with Hulu+ ? The interface comes up, I pick a program, it plays the first "commercial" or two, then it just freezes with the blue splash showing. It never returns, and when I try and power down, it freezes and flashes "see you" on the player display. I then have to un plug the power and plug it back in to get it to power up.

My S780 occasionally gives me the flashing "see you" display requiring me to unplug it. I don't think it's a problem with Hulu, because I have never used that service. Owners on Amazon have reported the same issue. This shouldn't happen on Sony's so-called flagship model. That they've let it continue is disappointing.

#673 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1799  /t/1324700/official-sony-bdp-s780-thread/660#post_22142450

My S780 occasionally gives me the flashing "see you" display requiring me to unplug it. I don't think it's a problem with Hulu, because I have never used that service. Owners on Amazon have reported the same issue. This shouldn't happen on Sony's so-called flagship model. That they've let it continue is disappointing.

I have both Amazon Prime and Netflix and I have the same issue with BDP-S780 Blu-Ray player also, really annoying not only that but the new foreign movies added I do not get subtitles I can only subtitles on my iPad, iPod Touch, Dell Notebook, iMac and Kindel Fire. I think the subtitle problem is that Sony still using the old Netflix UI and their own servers, why not fix this problem? They completely ignore customers now on. As much as I appreciate the quality of Blu Ray I am starting to miss those simple DVD days sigh.

#674 ·
i get the dlashing "see you" every now and then s well, when it happens, it doesnt matter if i was wathing a bd, or steaming content, it seems to do after so many hours of use or something, its alsmost as if the player is rebooting itself, i have never had to unplug it for it to go away though, i usually let it go for awhile, unsually no lnger than abut a mnute or roughlymore, and its stops on its own,

sometimes after it hs done that i have noticed slight improvement in functionality, thats why i think its doing it owns reboot or whatever,

i have an s580 as well and it will do the same thing

one thing that has happened with my s780, its only happened twice, but illbe wathcing a movie, and forwhatever reason, ill have to stop the movie and start it again the next day, ill get a lock up on the player, itll just stop dead in the movie, and that will usually require an unplugging or holding the power button until it goes off, like i said it has only happened twice, just recently was the last one, i started watching the hugo 3d, and it was getting late so i remember where i was in the move, stopped playing, took disc out and yesterday when i oput it back in i went to roughly where i was and after about 5 minutes it just stiopped, i had picture,, it was as if it was paused, but hitting play or pause did nothing, i help the power button for what seemd like 45 seconds, it finally shut off, turned it back on, and the movie played fine from then on

has this happened to anyone else?

#675 ·
The SEE YOU on my unit will not go away. It is very aggravating because unplugging etc.... And it's right back. Do I have to leave it unplugged a long time?? Can I do a hold power button reset? Has anyone figured out a way to stop this from happening? I think it started at last software update. I hope Sony fixes this soon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.