AVS Forum banner

Onkyo New AVR's TX-NR818,717,616 official Discussion [No Price Talk]Thread

181K views 1K replies 227 participants last post by  koojo 
#1 ·
See less See more
#202 ·
I have a 809, in the 30 day return period with a good serial #. I can exchange for a 818 for more money, would this be worth it to get XT32 for a 5.1 system?

How much of a difference is there going to be, going from XT to XT32 on a 5.1 system?

I have NO plans on going to a system with more speakers or subs. (WAF)

Thanks,

#203 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmach /forum/post/21960161

I have a 809, in the 30 day return period with a good serial #. I can exchange for a 818 for more money, would this be worth it to get XT32 for a 5.1 system?

How much of a difference is there going to be, going from XT to XT32 on a 5.1 system?

Thanks,

I would return the 809 and go for the 818. I have seen many people here on AVS that have said XT32 is big step up in overall performance over XT. For the SubEQ alone it would be worth it IMO. That is assuming SubEQ is included with XT32 with the 818. So far every XT32 equipped AVR/prepro has SubEQ but I would double check to make sure as the 818 is brand new.

Bill

#204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/21960168

I would return the 809 and go for the 818. I have seen many people here on AVS that have said XT32 is big step up in overall performance over XT. For the SubEQ alone it would be worth it IMO. That is assuming SubEQ is included with XT32 with the 818. So far every XT32 equipped AVR/prepro has SubEQ but I would double check to make sure as the 818 is brand new.

Bill

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, returning the 809 I just got.. however is SubEQ useful if you only have 1 sub, and no plans to expand to 2?

#206 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One /forum/post/21960201

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, returning the 809 I just got.. however is SubEQ useful if you only have 1 sub, and no plans to expand to 2?

From what I have read XT32 will EQ one sub much better than XT. So whether you have one sub or two XT32 is well worth it.

Bill

#208 ·
As of right now, I have 4 subwoofers, a Behringer DEQ2496 EQ and a Dayton Audio OmniMic to measure my system.

I am super happy with my setup and subs work great with each other and all 9 of my speakers. When I get the 818, I'll see if it can do a better job then me on EQing and blending the subs together and with the speakers. I am hoping that the 818 can EQ down to 20hz and has some sort of phase control between the 2 subs outs.

#210 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/21960008

Sorry but another totally irrelevant car analogy.

Your failure to see the relevance does not make it irrelevant. That was also my first car analogy, so I don't see the need for the "another" part.

Quote:
Not many affordable subwoofers have EQ (as good as Sub EQ) so that argument against XT32 is not valid IMO. So you are suggesting spending more money on a sub or subs to get one with built in EQ? Even after doing that are you sure the EQ system would work as well as XT32? Seems like you are suggesting to spend more money on EQ equipped subs for what you could get in the 818 for much less. I have a Rythmik F12SE and plan on adding another in the future. There is no way I am switching sub manufacturers to get one with built in EQ.

Bill

Define, "affordable." The Sunfire true subwoofer EQ series all have equalization that works quite well, and that still doesn't fix all the things Onkyo is stripping out of a newer, more expensive model trying to claim it's an improvement.

nice try.

#213 ·

Quote:
Your failure to see the relevance does not make it irrelevant. That was also my first car analogy, so I don't see the need for the "another" part.

I see many car analogy from some members here, so that is why I said "another". It wasn't relevant IMO as this is an A/V forum not an auto forum. Maybe some see the relevance in your analogy but I did not.

Quote:
Define, "affordable." The Sunfire true subwoofer EQ series all have equalization that works quite well, and that still doesn't fix all the things Onkyo is stripping out of a newer, more expensive model trying to claim it's an improvement.

I would say $1k is the max for what I would consider and affordable sub. Looking quickly online the True Subwoofer EQ 10 - TS-EQ10 lists for $1750 which I do not consider affordable for a 10" sub with or without EQ. Maybe the street prices are less but still quite a bit of money for a 10" sub. Chances are you will need two of them so now you would be spending well over $2k for two 10" subs.

Have you had a Sunfire sub with their EQ system in your system? If you have how well does it work in your room? Have you tried an AVR/prepro with XT32 in your room? What vital features has Onkyo "stripped" out of the 818 that were included in the 809 that effect overall SQ?

Quote:
nice try

Huh
?

Bill

#211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmach /forum/post/21960161

Thanks,

If you have no plans to need an iPhone/iPod dock, or HD radio (no universal port on the 818), and don't need analog multi-channel input (most folks don't) then go ahead and upgrade to the 818 and get the better EQ with audyssey.

If the things Onkyo has removed from the 809 are things you'll need, then you may be better off upgrading to an NRx009 AVR, or keeping the 809.

The xxx9 models all have XT32 as well, and keep the U port and analog inputs also.

#212 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD /forum/post/21960591

As of right now, I have 4 subwoofers, a Behringer DEQ2496 EQ and a Dayton Audio OmniMic to measure my system.

I am super happy with my setup and subs work great with each other and all 9 of my speakers. When I get the 818, I'll see if it can do a better job then me on EQing and blending the subs together and with the speakers. I am hoping that the 818 can EQ down to 20hz and has some sort of phase control between the 2 subs outs.

It'll be interesting to see your results - compare the 2 EQ setups and see which one works best with the subs.

#216 ·
I guess in a nutshell, it bothers me that I have to move to such an expensive receiver, and go to 9.2 channels, just to keep HD radio/U-port. That's what's really bothering me. This is especially true since I'm only using 5.1 channels at present.

I mis-spoke earlier. My bedroom is 16x18 feet. The living room is 16x20 feet.

Anyway, maybe I can find a good deal on a used 3008 through 5009 when I get ready to replace this current Integra AVR. Maybe I'll get lucky. I just don't think the 818 is going to be for me, and I was considering an 809, but I'll probably just hold out for something 9.2, with XT32/subEQ.

#217 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/21962188

...I'm guessing to have an EQ system as good as XT32 to do ones entire system in one package is the best way to go. I have the Anti-Mode 8033C that I use along with XT and when I get something with XT32 the 8033C will be up for sale.

Bill

Strangely enough, I love my Anti-Mode so much I kind of hate to buy something that'll make it obsolete.

I assumed that there would be little value to the Anti-Mode and XT32 together. Does XT32 do everything that the Anti-Mode is doing? Is there really no benefit to running them together?

#220 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman /forum/post/21966855

Strangely enough, I love my Anti-Mode so much I kind of hate to buy something that'll make it obsolete.

I assumed that there would be little value to the Anti-Mode and XT32 together. Does XT32 do everything that the Anti-Mode is doing? Is there really no benefit to running them together?

This is a good question. I do not know enough technically about either the Anti-Mode or XT32 to know if running the two together is a benefit or not. My guess would be that XT32 with SubEQ would be fine by itself. I have the Anti-Mode mainly to EQ my sub when listening to 2CH music with my Parasound 2100. When I use my Onkyo 886 for MCH music and HT the Anti-Mode is in play along with XT.

Bill

#221 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 /forum/post/21967543

ummm...I thought the same thing but read this link.
https://audyssey.zendesk.com/forums/.../20953442.html

Until Audyssey up-dates that list we will not know if for sure SubEQ is not on board with XT32 , I would think it is as he did state that all AVR MFGer's have so far included SubEQ with XT32 , it's actually one of the main features to XT32 IMO .

The Jury is still out till somebody get a unit in house

OR if joerod can confirm it then we'll all know for sure !!!

@ Glasswolf ; you posted that all the X009 Onkyo line had XT32 the TX-NR1009 does not have XT32 , I have a 1009

Quote:
If the things Onkyo has removed from the 809 are things you'll need, then you may be better off upgrading to an NRx009 AVR, or keeping the 809.

The xxx9 models all have XT32 as well, and keep the U port and analog inputs also.

#222 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman /forum/post/21966855

yes...

ime, when went from xt to xt32, i eliminated the antimode from the chain...

as always ymmv... i wouldn't make any judgements personally without measuring...

#223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/21967632

yes...

ime, when went from xt to xt32, i eliminated the antimode from the chain...

as always ymmv... i wouldn't make any judgements personally without measuring...

I have a Integra dtr 5.9 and am looking to purchase the 709 (from A4L as a refurb) to move up from 2EQ to MultiEQ XT. Is XT32 really enough of an improvement to keep saving up for (since its 2x the cost of the 709) or would XT be enough of a leap (from 2EQ) that I would be ok for a couple years?

Dont really need power as my external amp are running my speakers.

I also could just add a SMS-1 into the mix for better Sub EQ, but it wont add more filters to the other speakers.....

Thoughts?

#224 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 /forum/post/21967543

ummm...I thought the same thing but read this link.
https://audyssey.zendesk.com/forums/.../20953442.html

Good link. So subeq sets the delay and volume of each sub independantly, but there's one curve (filter) applied to both subs.

If you have two subs and are getting xt32 thinking it does dual sub eq. It doesn't. It does dual sub correction with regards to distance and volume, but not dual sub equalization. If you plan on getting two subs, I strongly suggest they're identical.

#226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/21967673

If you plan on getting two subs, I strongly suggest they're identical.

++11oo

with a matched pair there a lot of issues that are Just not there !

I've had both XT32 with a 5008

And what ever Audyssey is in the 1009

in my same set-up ,same room exactly , with my pair of SVS PC12-NSD's subs

I actually preferred the 1009 sound with regard to the subs because I found for me & my room it was easier to get dialed in for Me with the 1009 sub set-up manually. BUT that's just me & should not be taken as advice on one's own set-up

Again this is all I M H O

#228 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow /forum/post/21967663

I have a Integra dtr 5.9 and am looking to purchase the 709 (from A4L as a refurb) to move up from 2EQ to MultiEQ XT. Is XT32 really enough of an improvement to keep saving up for (since its 2x the cost of the 709) or would XT be enough of a leap (from 2EQ) that I would be ok for a couple years?

Dont really need power as my external amp are running my speakers.

I also could just add a SMS-1 into the mix for better Sub EQ, but it wont add more filters to the other speakers.....

Thoughts?

ime, if using dual subs, yes, xt32 (assuming it contains subeq, which all released iterations do) is worth the additional coin...

fwiw, you would not want to eq your subs individually...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.