AVS Forum banner

*Official* Roku 2 Media Streamer Thread

170K views 1K replies 185 participants last post by  krisbee 
#1 ·
There has been a bit of buzz in the blogosphere about the upcoming refresh of Roku's media streamer lineup:

Roku 2 Launching with Angry Birds (from Dave Zatz)

Roku 2 - Nearly Upon Us? (from Dave Zatz)

It appears as if the devices are slated to appear in stores on July 24. Let us use this thread to discuss the features of the Roku 2 and share tips and tricks.

#627 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs /forum/post/21957651

I have VUDU on my Onkyo AVR and it is next to worthless with multiple tries to connect. VUDU support was no help. So I checked Amazon from my Roku 2 and it seems to have most of what VUDU has without the hassles.

I use VUDU on multiple devices, albeit not an Onkyo receiver, and have never had any issues. Likely an issue with the Onkyo or network. I wish you had another device with VUDU to try it. HDX looks very nice.

#629 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs /forum/post/21957651

I have VUDU on my Onkyo AVR and it is next to worthless with multiple tries to connect. VUDU support was no help. So I checked Amazon from my Roku 2 and it seems to have most of what VUDU has without the hassles.

I have used VUDU on multiple devices with no problem--the PS3, Xbox 360 (720p only), and 3 different BD players (Panasonic BDT-110, -220 and Sony BDP-S390). It's hands down the finest streaming video service, with available 1080p at 9 Mbps streamable or downloadable on the PS3, and Dolby Digital Plus audio, 7.1 channels on a handful of titles.

As I stated, a decent implementation of VUDU on the Roku 2 would make it the perfect all-in-one streamer for me, but I suspect that to qualify for VUDU a device has to have the capability to render DD+ 5.1 into DD 5.1 or to decode it into multichannel LPCM. Roku 2 can only pass it through.

#630 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21962238

I have used VUDU on multiple devices with no problem--the PS3, Xbox 360 (720p only), and 3 different BD players (Panasonic BDT-110, -220 and Sony BDP-S390). It's hands down the finest streaming video service, with available 1080p at 9 Mbps streamable or downloadable on the PS3, and Dolby Digital Plus audio, 7.1 channels on a handful of titles.

As I stated, a decent implementation of VUDU on the Roku 2 would make it the perfect all-in-one streamer for me, but I suspect that to qualify for VUDU a device has to have the capability to render DD+ 5.1 into DD 5.1 or to decode it into multichannel LPCM. Roku 2 can only pass it through.

Plus isn't the max bitrate for MPEG4 with the Roku 2 around 8Mb/s? That would eliminate it even being able to play 3 bar HDX.

#631 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/21962567

Plus isn't the max bitrate for MPEG4 with the Roku 2 around 8Mb/s? That would eliminate it even being able to play 3 bar HDX.

They quote the max ( here ) as 8 Mbps average, 12 Mbps peak for video films played off USB storage. msgohan is seeing HDX downloads to PS3 which average 8.8 Mbps. The Roku could at least sustain 2 bar HDX which is pretty damn good and superior to either Amazon or Netflix.

#632 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21962860

They quote the max ( here ) as 8 Mbps average, 12 Mbps peak for video films played off USB storage. msgohan is seeing HDX downloads to PS3 which average 8.8 Mbps. The Roku could at least sustain 2 bar HDX which is pretty damn good and superior to either Amazon or Netflix.

But there is still a very noticeable difference between 3 bar HDX and two bar HDX. And a gigantic difference between 1 bar HDX.

I'm guessing at this point if they were going to add Vudu it would have been done by now. But at least there is no shortage of devices that have Vudu on them.

#633 ·
Why does my ROKU download so slowly? I tried to dowloand and view "GAME OF THRONES" Season One, Episode One from HBOGO and it would play about two minutes and download for approximately a minute or so and thats the way it went for the entire episode. I tried again, this time pausing and it would not download any more than a small segment each time.

I downloaded and watched several Korean shows and if I pause it for awhile it would bring in the entire episode.

Don't know why the difference. Perhaps someone can tell me what I am doing wrong or perhaps someone has had the same experience. I do not have a ROKU 2. I have the XDS.

I thank you. MQ

#634 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSY QUICK /forum/post/21972585

Why does my ROKU download so slowly? I tried to dowloand and view "GAME OF THRONES" Season One, Episode One from HBOGO and it would play about two minutes and download for approximately a minute or so and thats the way it went for the entire episode. I tried again, this time pausing and it would not download any more than a small segment each time.

I downloaded and watched several Korean shows and if I pause it for awhile it would bring in the entire episode.

Don't know why the difference. Perhaps someone can tell me what I am doing wrong or perhaps someone has had the same experience. I do not have a ROKU 2. I have the XDS.

I thank you. MQ

Hi. I'm not sure how the XDS works as far as download speed, but I never have issues with the Roku2's, extremely fast. What is the speed/bandwidth of your internet? That may be the limiting factor. You can test your download speed with speedtest.net or bandwidthplace.com.

#636 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverm2 /forum/post/21936783

I have searched everywhere and can not find adefinitive answer to this question.can i stream comcast xfinity on roku xd or xds? I have seen that maybe I can do hbo go. xfinity access would make buying one a no brainer.I have 2 tivos so netffix/amazon are not important.any help will be appreciated.

I have the same question. If I am streaming Comcast Infinity on my pc can i play it on the roku through playon, plex or another service? I don't mind paying a one time fee or a small monthly fee. The problem with playon is that I don't see anything streaming in HD. It plays fluidly but the picture quality is lousy. I can't seem to figure out how to stream my HD stream from my PC to the Roku. Is there anyway to do this for a reasonable price besides hooking up the pc to the TV by HDMI?

Thanks

#638 ·
#640 ·
What options are available for playing media hosted on my local network? Specifically, on my MacBook Pro.

I know the Roku requires specific channels to do this, and the MBP would need the appropriate server installed. I'm just asking what channels are available (and if you have experiences with them, I'd like to avoid ones that aren't worth the trouble).

Plex looks like one option, and I already have the server and client installed on the MacBook, so that's a no brainer.

NokNok might be another, though I've not had any experience with it.

I'm fine with re-encoding my media if required, though the MBP should have the power to do it on the fly. Looks like Plex will do it either way (direct play for Roku supported formats, or on-the-fly re-encoding for unsupported formats). Not sure about other channels/servers?

Thanks.

Edit - in case it matters, most of my media is some flavor of 720p in mkv containers. Mostly TV shows that were available OTA in Europe but not broadcast in the US (lots of live cycling, rugby). No need for sub-titles - if I watch a foreign language film, it will be via Netflix, Amazon, etc.

#642 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack Monkey /forum/post/0

What options are available for playing media hosted on my local network? Specifically, on my MacBook Pro.

I know the Roku requires specific channels to do this, and the MBP would need the appropriate server installed. I'm just asking what channels are available (and if you have experiences with them, I'd like to avoid ones that aren't worth the trouble).

Plex looks like one option, and I already have the server and client installed on the MacBook, so that's a no brainer.

NokNok might be another, though I've not had any experience with it.

I'm fine with re-encoding my media if required, though the MBP should have the power to do it on the fly. Looks like Plex will do it either way (direct play for Roku supported formats, or on-the-fly re-encoding for unsupported formats). Not sure about other channels/servers?

Thanks.

Edit - in case it matters, most of my media is some flavor of 720p in mkv containers. Mostly TV shows that were available OTA in Europe but not broadcast in the US (lots of live cycling, rugby). No need for sub-titles - if I watch a foreign language film, it will be via Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Plex is almost the only option. There is PlayON but I had trouble getting the local file option to work and the couple of other alternatives involved setting up a web server.

Philip

#643 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd /forum/post/22023804

Plex is almost the only option. There is PlayON but I had trouble getting the local file option to work and the couple of other alternatives involved setting up a web server.

Philip

I have been using Roksbox for almost two years, and I think it is great. In my distribution of linux, it takes three clicks to setup an Apache webserver, and puts very little load on the computer - Plex can be much more taxing, especially if it has to transcode.

Other channels might be a slight more effort, but you also may have results that are more to your liking - I have my Music and Photos simply linked to where I normally have them and they show up, the Videos I have split into virtual "movie channels" and they all have nice little xml files. I also just have a directory where I dump stuff so I can watch without fuss.

There are even more local media channels out there, but these are the top two for the Roku.

#644 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 /forum/post/22023483

New F/W 4.7 b2049.

Cheers

What changes/fixes are there?

#645 ·
Both Playon and Plex work well for me

I know this is a Roku thread but shhh WindowsMediaCenter and XBox as an extender works well for a load of stuff (it discovered all my media and picctures w/o my even asking). Basically I use Roku for a load of streaming channels (nice radio options as well) and XBox hooked up to a CableCard reader and play TV programming thru XBox (XBox also streams ESPN3 whereas Roku needs playon software to manage that).

#646 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/22024258

What changes/fixes are there?

According to RokuShawn on the forums ( here ) it's in early release and they're not ready to post release notes yet, but that it's primarily a bunch of little bug fixes and some "under the hood stuff". I got it and there's certainly nothing different that I can see.

#647 ·
From the Roku blog:

Quote:
The team here at Roku has been hard at work on another software update for Roku 2, Roku LT and new Roku HD players. Rolling out today, Roku software version 4.7 contains several under the hood improvements and fixes:

Added support for channels that use Microsoft Smooth Streaming

Added improvements to support several new partner channels to launch in 2012

Improved stability of the new Roku HD player

Improved Roku device discovery on Roku iOS and Android mobile apps

Fixed a bug related to French localization

The Roku software update will be pushed automatically to all connected Roku 2, Roku LT and new Roku HD players over the next 48 hours. To get it now, select Settings > Software update > Check now from your Roku player.
http://blog.roku.com/blog/2012/05/15...d-new-roku-hd/

#649 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee /forum/post/0

I have been using Roksbox for almost two years, and I think it is great. In my distribution of linux, it takes three clicks to setup an Apache webserver, and puts very little load on the computer - Plex can be much more taxing, especially if it has to transcode.

Other channels might be a slight more effort, but you also may have results that are more to your liking - I have my Music and Photos simply linked to where I normally have them and they show up, the Videos I have split into virtual "movie channels" and they all have nice little xml files. I also just have a directory where I dump stuff so I can watch without fuss.

There are even more local media channels out there, but these are the top two for the Roku.

Perhaps your familiarity with Linux helped a lot. I recall trying it and the instructions just seemed too much that day. Have become lazy. Stuff is either trivial or impossible for me now

Is Roxsbox completely free?

Philip

#650 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJ /forum/post/0

Both Playon and Plex work well for me

I know this is a Roku thread but shhh WindowsMediaCenter and XBox as an extender works well for a load of stuff (it discovered all my media and picctures w/o my even asking). Basically I use Roku for a load of streaming channels (nice radio options as well) and XBox hooked up to a CableCard reader and play TV programming thru XBox (XBox also streams ESPN3 whereas Roku needs playon software to manage that).

How did you get PlayOn to support local files?

Philip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.