AVS Forum banner

Verizon FiOS HDTV

2M views 19K replies 1K participants last post by  Marcus Carr 
#1 ·
I have heard about the new Verizon FIOS internet and TV services being rolled out across the country. My question is since they are using fiber optics to transmit their signal and with giving them additional bandwidth, will Comcast be ready to compete with them for pure channel capacity?

#16,721 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr /forum/post/21930986

I was able to request a DVR upgrade on Wednesday from MyVerizon and it was delivered today.

It did cost around $40, on the plus side I have a much better DVR.

Does the DVR record the direct MPEG2 or MPEG4 stream?

I'm playing back some recordings and the video quality seems as good as when it was broadcast.

Can I ask the model number of the box. I asked for a HD DVR upgrade because it seemed the box was filling up quickly and they sent me out the same box. Motorola Qip 72161 by any chance?

#16,722 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazonracer /forum/post/21961846

Can I ask the model number of the box. I asked for a HD DVR upgrade because it seemed the box was filling up quickly and they sent me out the same box. Motorola Qip 72161 by any chance?

How/where did you ask for the upgrade?

I requested an upgrade using the link on MyVerizon that went along the lines of: want more from your DVR.

Order an upgrade the same day FiOS was installed (Thursday afternoon) and received two QIP7232's this morning.

#16,724 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAlert /forum/post/21962235

How/where did you ask for the upgrade?

I requested an upgrade using the link on MyVerizon that went along the lines of: want more from your DVR.

Order an upgrade the same day FiOS was installed (Thursday afternoon) and received two QIP7232's this morning.

We were going to switch back to Direct TV and my wife called to verify if we were going to save money by switching back as we have all phone services through them the "Triple Play" I think. I have heard some new Direct TV boxes are really good and we liked our service. Oh, and a $200 gift card for switching. When she called, they transfered her to the people that try to get you to stay. Turns out, the cost savings is not really their and wasn't worth the hassel. Then she said we are unhappy with our HD DVR box and said they would send out a new box. We just assumed it was an "upgraded' box". It was the exact same box so no one looked on their end to see what box we already had. What a shock. Now we have 2 boxes and need to call again. So is the 7232 any better in regards to storage as this is what were really looking for.

#16,725 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazonracer /forum/post/21963687

We were going to switch back to Direct TV and my wife called to verify if we were going to save money by switching back as we have all phone services through them the "Triple Play" I think. I have heard some new Direct TV boxes are really good and we liked our service. Oh, and a $200 gift card for switching. When she called, they transfered her to the people that try to get you to stay. Turns out, the cost savings is not really their and wasn't worth the hassel. Then she said we are unhappy with our HD DVR box and said they would send out a new box. We just assumed it was an "upgraded' box". It was the exact same box so no one looked on their end to see what box we already had. What a shock. Now we have 2 boxes and need to call again. So is the 7232 any better in regards to storage as this is what were really looking for.

The 7232 has a 500gb HDD.

From what I've read, CSR cannot guarantee you getting the 7232. I paid 39.99 per box by upgrading through VZ's site.

#16,728 ·
5 new HD channels went live in VHO8 this morning - however they are all international and I cannot see them - nor do I know which channels they are until guide data comes down.

They are channels 1516, 1670, 1690, 1692 and 1730.

All 5 on 1 QAM. Yep, you read that right. MPEG-4 new equipment - testing it out once again on a smaller impacted audience.

All on 801 MHz.

#16,729 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt /forum/post/21966119

5 new HD channels went live in VHO8 this morning - however they are all international and I cannot see them - nor do I know which channels they are until guide data comes down.

They are channels 1516, 1670, 1690, 1692 and 1730.

All 5 on 1 QAM. Yep, you read that right. MPEG-4 new equipment - testing it out once again on a smaller impacted audience.

All on 801 MHz.

Well at least this sounds like good news. As long as more and more channels show up in MPEG4 that is good. Hopefully they start moving over some of the HD channels soon.

#16,730 ·
For the goodness of this forum (since DSL Reports is still down!!) - I did an online 1-day subscription to the Spanish package so I could check these out. Still no guide data - but was able to garner this much:

1516 - still not sure

1670 - Ultra Fiesta

1690 - Ultra Cine

1692 - Ultra Mex

1730 - Ultra Kidz

So it appears these Ultra channels are a package - 1516 has some hilarious live kid-type show...haven't seen a channel announcement yet.

Figuring all 5 of these are on 1 QAM, picture quality isn't that bad. Definitely a good test.

#16,734 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt /forum/post/0

For the goodness of this forum (since DSL Reports is still down!!) - I did an online 1-day subscription to the Spanish package so I could check these out. Still no guide data - but was able to garner this much:

1516 - still not sure

1670 - Ultra Fiesta

1690 - Ultra Cine

1692 - Ultra Mex

1730 - Ultra Kidz

So it appears these Ultra channels are a package - 1516 has some hilarious live kid-type show...haven't seen a channel announcement yet.

Figuring all 5 of these are on 1 QAM, picture quality isn't that bad. Definitely a good test.

Are these all HD channels then? Since you mention they are on the same QAM. So they added five international HD channels?

#16,735 ·
Has anyone heard about a new DVR coming out? I was on the line with Customer Service asking about the 7232. I asked about the "new" DVR instead of specifying a model, and the rep said the new one is supposed to come out towards the end of the summer that will have more than 2 tuners. He basically said it would be "more like the TIVO."

#16,737 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing /forum/post/21967423

Has anyone heard about a new DVR coming out? I was on the line with Customer Service asking about the 7232. I asked about the "new" DVR instead of specifying a model, and the rep said the new one is supposed to come out towards the end of the summer that will have more than 2 tuners. He basically said it would be "more like the TIVO."

Maybe they're referring to this box?

It's said to be a 6-tuner, 1TB server STB that can also feed video to thin clients (small stb's) around the rest of the house... meaning instead of having a bunch of bulky boxes, you could just have the one server, and use those other new small boxes everywhere else. Supposedly coming before the end of the year.

#16,740 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 /forum/post/21964035

2TB also....on a 3TB it will still only use 2.

How about the Cisco 435? I have this one and bought a 2TB drive and eSata enclousre.

The Cisco box shows that the drive is 1.8TB, but the drive capacity shows that only 1023GB is available. Is this a limitation of the Cisco box, or did I set it up wrong?

When I connected it the first time, it didn't prompt me to format. Maybe I should have done that anyways. I now have too many recordings on the drive to reformat.

Can anyone confirm that they get 2TB expansion on their Cisco DVR to show up?

Also, does any know if they're going to add the ability to move recordings from one drive to another.? Since the external is "married" to the DVR anyways, the content owners shouldn't have any issues with this, right?