AVS Forum banner

Mitsubishi: DEFECT in 2011 DLP Sets/fix

28K views 147 replies 34 participants last post by  thhowl 
#1 ·
Firmware 13.06, released 3/19/2012, appears to address this issue directly.

IOW, using 13.06 appears to do the same as turning 3D Checkerboard Mode ON without some of the side effects.

More testing in progress...

For now, use these pictures to see what you are missing

without 13.06 (or 13.05 with 3D Checkerboard ON)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP32 /forum/post/21531591

Still image of the red/white defect... on ESPN, via HD Cox Cable box, 720p signal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeener71 /forum/post/21694606

Captain Taco,

I LOVE YOU!!!!

On my PC now, the text/fonts are clearer and sharp, the videos look better.

All by setting 3D mode with checkerboard. Why the heck didn't I ever try that!?!

Oh well I love this forum and right now, especially Captain of all Tacos!!!

Everyone, go do this now!

The defect. Sharpness at ZERO. Did you know Sharpness above 10 starts causing glowing edges? (Not shown here. The glowing edges you see here are different, and are the defect at work.)

With 3D Checkerboard ON - for a 2D picture. A clunky and dimmer workaround.

The normal picture with the defect. This is what you are seeing, though may not realize it. All sets have it.

With 3D Checkerboard ON - for a 2D picture. Boy does he look better. (Than the pic above, I mean.)

The normal picture with the defect. What you may not realize you are seeing on your set right now. All sets have the defect.

With 3D Checkerboard ON - for a 2D picture. A clunky and dimmer workaround. But boy does he look better.

This OP is Under Construction. I'll be right back..

We'll provide detailed information on the defect, and tips for testing and petitioning here sometime soon.[/size][/b]

Feel free to PM ideas for this OP. We can finish creating the OP *together*.

Introduction

This thread was started to help owners understand, test for, and workaround a technical issue that degrades picture quality in 2011 Mitsubishi DLP sets, including the $4,000-$5,000 WD-92840. (The issue does not exist in 2010 or 2009 models.)

More information can be found in the owner's threads:

The 2011 Mitsubishi DLP WD-73640 official thread , where:

The 2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series)

We have high hopes that Mitsubishi will soon fix this issue with a Firmware update.

A couple of us (current known count is 3) have reported the issue to Mitsubishi, but each individual should contact the manufacturer directly to let them know you want this fixed.

This first post has two parts:

1. An educational overview of the defect, and why you may not even have noticed it.

2. Simply steps to test your set and demonstrate your workaround here. What YOU can do to add up enough complaints that Mitsubishi takes action and makes the TV go from "Good sometimes, with serious PQ problems in others" to AWESOME ALL THE TIME.

Overview of the defect.

For now, see the links into the owner's threads, provided above.

How To Help Spread the Word Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTaco /forum/post/21691522

Quote:
Originally Posted by thhowl /forum/post/21690656

Vanishing Red Lines - A Mitsubishi Trick:
Haha, I was looking at these images on my 92840... I was like, "I don't see a difference, they all look terrible... oh wait..."

[...]

This just popped into my head, I wasn't paying too close of attention at the time, but I am pretty sure the problem [...] is actually being created from the "Smooth 120hz" as this is something you lose once you enter 3D mode if I am not mistaken.

See less See more
#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix1973 /forum/post/21820202

I would also try reformatting the USB, download the firmware update again and try flash the firmware again in case the download file was corrupted. I work on copiers and sometimes we have funky issues like that when upgrading machines and reloading the firmware from scratch like that fixes it.

Yea i already tried this, as well as performing a full reset, i work on computers for a living, so it was the first thing that came to mind... but alas...

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP32 /forum/post/21821682

I haven't noticed it... maybe you could post some pics? Are you seeing it on HDTV (cable, ota, etc), DVD's, or via BD's?

HD, SD, Cable, OTA all the same. Normally I would watch a lot of news and interivews stuff. All is going through the DVDO DUO at native rez, deinterlaced there and then upscaled to 1080P. I use the CMS in the DUO to calibrate.

The false braces could be a totally seperate bug. My 82837 did not do it. You really notice with big full face head shots.. I haven't had time to even look at Blu-Ray or DVD. Teeth are worlds better after the firmware update though... this is niggling in comparions. If I could get my mom stable I could be home for some investigation.

As mentioned time is beyond short. Trying to find some time to get some rest, do some grocery shopping etc. then each day I am back to the nursing home, so no pictures soon.

If Mom is not better tomorrow I think they will put her back in hospital, we are day 9 since the fall and pelvic fracture and I have seen nothing good on that front.

#81 ·
Service tech came today to replace the main board. TV all better now... Whilst he was there I asked him to perform the manual firmware update with me, he agreed, and altering exactly 0 steps from when I performed the update myself the first time (in which the outcome was broken TV), this time the update completely perfectly. There was surprising less *POP!* noise when we rebooted after the update compared to when I performed the update this first time. There was also far less "broken" than when I first performed the update, which is always a good thing when dealing with... well... anything.

So, white on red blurring is completely gone, what a relief. I had to get back to work (I went to let the tech in on my lunch break) so I didn't get a chance to really take a good look, look at it with the computer, etc. But as soon as I get home I will, and I am pretty psyched about it too... I must say, it has been painful not having the TV for the last 5 days, you don't realize how much you like something till it is gone... Forced to do my program observation via a measly and sufficiently ancient 47" LCD display, my eyes straining to see even the largest of words. Legs compressed in a pitiful attempt to "sprawl" out on the largely inferior and aptly named "upstairs couch." The horror... the horror!

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTaco /forum/post/21843676

Service tech came today to replace the main board. TV all better now... Whilst he was there I asked him to perform the manual firmware update with me, he agreed, and altering exactly 0 steps from when I performed the update myself the first time (in which the outcome was broken TV), this time the update completely perfectly. There was surprising less *POP!* noise when we rebooted after the update compared to when I performed the update this first time. There was also far less "broken" than when I first performed the update, which is always a good thing when dealing with... well... anything.

So, white on red blurring is completely gone, what a relief. I had to get back to work (I went to let the tech in on my lunch break) so I didn't get a chance to really take a good look, look at it with the computer, etc. But as soon as I get home I will, and I am pretty psyched about it too... I must say, it has been painful not having the TV for the last 5 days, you don't realize how much you like something till it is gone... Forced to do my program observation via a measly and sufficiently ancient 47" LCD display, my eyes straining to see even the largest of words. Legs compressed in a pitiful attempt to "sprawl" out on the largely inferior and aptly named "upstairs couch." The horror... the horror!

someone in another thread had a very similar problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Healey /forum/post/21814694

I downloaded the new upgrade 13.6 last night.

I had already accomplished the 13.4 and 13.5 without any hitches.

Following the instructions, it updated to 13.6 and displayed a PURPLE startup screen instead of the normal BLUE.

TV then came on to cable and everything was in PURPLE tones, then screen went blank and the green power light started flashing.

Called MITS and after troubleshooting they scheduled a main power board replacement.

Coincidence - maybe, suspicious - yes.

I'll report back when the new main board is installed next week.

Edit: Mits has scheduled board replacement for 3/28/2012

Meanwhile I've got a 22" Vizio in front of my 73" Mits to hold me over LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Healey /forum/post/21847578

Well, the main board didn't arrive from MITS on time so the repair company rescheduled for today 3/30/2012.

The replacement only took about 15 minutes and the TV popped back on but everything was still PURPLE.

Repair guy called MITS and got the codes to restore the light engine and geometry from the backup. After the restore everything was back to normal.

The version on the new board was 13.05 so he updated it to 13.06 and so far everything is perfect.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/21848048

someone in another thread had a very similar problem.

Yup, exact same problem, except more green and less purple... I mean, right down to the part about of to reset the geometry and light engine in the service menu (except my guy new what to do immediately without calling for help haha, at the same time he couldn't remember the codes to do it so I did it for him lol)

Not sure if it was a corrupted update file, or just some main boards didn't like it... Either way, all fixed and updated now so I am not worried about it anymore.

#84 ·
I've tried numerous times to flash 13.06 firmware and it won't work. I was able to successfully flash 13.04 several months ago when it was released. I'm following the instructions in there exact order. I've also tried formatting my usb stick several times and have re-downloaded the firmware several times as well.

The first time I flashed the procedure actually went exactly as stated in the instructions and I got the message that the update was successful. Upon turning the TV on again when I go to the menu it says the firmware is still 13.04.

On all subsequent attempts when I plug the TV in with the USB stick in the port I get the flashing green light for about a minute and then the green light goes out and nothing happens. After another 4 minutes I hear a click (like how it sounds when it goes on) but it doesn't go on. If I unplug and plug back in (after waiting 15 seconds) the exact same series of events happens.

If I remove the USB stick and then plug back in the TV turns on as normal but is stuck on the 13.04 firmware.

EDIT: The update finally took but when the TV turned back on showing 13.06 firmware on the menu, instead of a blue background when the Mitsubishi logo displayed the background was green. The picture also then had a totally green tint to it. I turned it off and then on again and experienced the same result.

So then I held the power button down for 10 seconds on the front panel to to reset it, and the green light stayed blinking for 10 minutes and failed to turned on. I've unplugged, waiting a minute and plugged back in multiple times and just get the blinking green light. If I plug back in with the USB drive in the slot to try to re flash I also get just the blinking green light.

Can anyone give me some advice?

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/21911458

See the two posts above yours.

Thanks for pointing that out. Don actually replied to my post about this on the owner's thread. So at this point:

Unfortunately I can't get past the blinking green light. I jumped the gun by holding down the power button while having the greenish screen. Wish I could have restored the engine data when it was still turning on. Oh well...that's what my fall back Samsung 40" LCD is for - its sooooo small!!! I did actually call Mitsubishi yesterday and an advisor should be calling me today. I'm under warranty so hopefully they can get a tech out her this week to replace whatever component failed which sounds like its most likely the motherboard. I'll post my results here.

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 /forum/post/21912788

Thanks for pointing that out. Don actually replied to my post about this on the owner's thread. So at this point:

Unfortunately I can't get past the blinking green light. I jumped the gun by holding down the power button while having the greenish screen. Wish I could have restored the engine data when it was still turning on. Oh well...that's what my fall back Samsung 40" LCD is for - its sooooo small!!! I did actually call Mitsubishi yesterday and an advisor should be calling me today. I'm under warranty so hopefully they can get a tech out her this week to replace whatever component failed which sounds like its most likely the motherboard. I'll post my results here.

Yup was about to say the same thing, the green was just the engine data needing to be restored. Unfortunately, the flashing green light means a main-board replacement. They were pretty quick about it for me, only took about 5 days for the part to be shipped from California to Rhode Island, and for the service tech to come out and put it in. Make sure you ask them to perform the update while they are there, the new main-board will most likely be on 13.03.

#89 ·
I wouldn't update it if you don't see any problems with it currently. Seems issues are starting to rise with 13.06 in the 73640 thread. I haven't been back long enough to get Mits to come out and fix my 73640 since the 13.06 update. Mine was on 13.04 had no problems. Updated, got a motion blur like stutter and what looks like a spindle pushing out from center of the screen when looking off center.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. This is really true here.

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucezx11 /forum/post/21945205

I own a wd-82840. For some reason my tv wont upgrade to 13.06. I've tried to download the firmware using the network connection in the back of the tv as well as the USB slot.

The light blinks green on the front of the tv but the tv never powers on or resets. Any advice?
This post shows a method that may help you get the update via the network connection method.

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 /forum/post/21946059

I wouldn't update it if you don't see any problems with it currently. Seems issues are starting to rise with 13.06 in the 73640 thread. I haven't been back long enough to get Mits to come out and fix my 73640 since the 13.06 update. Mine was on 13.04 had no problems. Updated, got a motion blur like stutter and what looks like a spindle pushing out from center of the screen when looking off center.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. This is really true here.

You should get a service call set up, asap... Might be a main-board problem. I don't notice any of those problems.

I even kept a watchful eye out for the stutter/judder issue... have watched several blu-rays and several HD TV shows since the update... no problems at all. Even though I did notice judder/stutter with my older 61" LCoS set, so its not as if I'd be oblivious to the issue.

#93 ·
If the TV's date and time are not set. It will not update the firmware.

#94 ·
I wish that they'd update the firmware so that the TV's date/time could auto-set itself via the Internet.

#95 ·
Seeing that not all the DLP's have network capabilities now.... I'm thinking that date and time circuitry probably is a holdover from manual set only...

Probably once it is in every model, then the circuitry could auto set, but then you'd still have to set the hour.

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 /forum/post/21909161

I've tried numerous times to flash 13.06 firmware and it won't work. I was able to successfully flash 13.04 several months ago when it was released. I'm following the instructions in there exact order. I've also tried formatting my usb stick several times and have re-downloaded the firmware several times as well.

The first time I flashed the procedure actually went exactly as stated in the instructions and I got the message that the update was successful. Upon turning the TV on again when I go to the menu it says the firmware is still 13.04.

On all subsequent attempts when I plug the TV in with the USB stick in the port I get the flashing green light for about a minute and then the green light goes out and nothing happens. After another 4 minutes I hear a click (like how it sounds when it goes on) but it doesn't go on. If I unplug and plug back in (after waiting 15 seconds) the exact same series of events happens.

If I remove the USB stick and then plug back in the TV turns on as normal but is stuck on the 13.04 firmware.

EDIT: The update finally took but when the TV turned back on showing 13.06 firmware on the menu, instead of a blue background when the Mitsubishi logo displayed the background was green. The picture also then had a totally green tint to it. I turned it off and then on again and experienced the same result.

So then I held the power button down for 10 seconds on the front panel to to reset it, and the green light stayed blinking for 10 minutes and failed to turned on. I've unplugged, waiting a minute and plugged back in multiple times and just get the blinking green light. If I plug back in with the USB drive in the slot to try to re flash I also get just the blinking green light.

Can anyone give me some advice?

I'm having the same exact issue, my 13.06 won't update
I've formatted the stick 3 times now, unzipped both files onto it, nothing. TV will appear to be doing something, it will flash for about a minute and then just stop flashing. I've repeated this process about 5 times now. 13.04 to 13.05 took on the first try... messaged Mitsu, but not expecting any help

Anyone else experiencing this similar issue?

#97 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboy0 /forum/post/21965864

I'm having the same exact issue, my 13.06 won't update
I've formatted the stick 3 times now, unzipped both files onto it, nothing. TV will appear to be doing something, it will flash for about a minute and then just stop flashing. I've repeated this process about 5 times now. 13.04 to 13.05 took on the first try... messaged Mitsu, but not expecting any help

Anyone else experiencing this similar issue?

Unzip "both files"? When I go to their web site, I click on their Zip File link and that opens my Win Zip Extractor program. From there I do not Unzip anything more, I simply "Extract" both files listed to the USB thumb drive without opening or unzipping any thing more.

It was my understanding that "unzip" and "extract" are two different operations.

#98 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP /forum/post/21967286

Unzip "both files"? When I go to their web site, I click on their Zip File link and that opens my Win Zip Extractor program. From there I do not Unzip anything more, I simply "Extract" both files listed to the USB thumb drive without opening or unzipping any thing more.

It was my understanding that "unzip" and "extract" are two different operations.

Heh, same thing to me
Still won't update. Awaiting response from mitsu.

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboy0 /forum/post/21968116

Heh, same thing to me
Still won't update. Awaiting response from mitsu.

I think you miss understood my message. I have not had a problem. The way you wrote your first message, you worded is if you did "unzip" twice. There is no twice for unzipping, you unzip only once, that reveals two files in the Win Zip list. Then you "extract" those two files without any more unzipping. I was just trying for clarification to your wording.

#100 ·
I had a similar issue that you guys had with updating your firmware. Back when I was trying to update to 13.05 a few months ago or so.

I must have tried updating at least 8 or 9 times. It just kept acting like it normally does. Finally out of the blue the last time I tried it it finally updated! I didn't do anything different really. Just all of a sudden felt like updating for me.

The really funny thing is, when I tried updating a few weeks ago or so to 13.06, it worked the first time I tried!

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP /forum/post/21968297

I think you miss understood my message. I have not had a problem. The way you wrote your first message, you worded is if you did "unzip" twice. There is no twice for unzipping, you unzip only once, that reveals two files in the Win Zip list. Then you "extract" those two files without any more unzipping. I was just trying for clarification to your wording.

I gotcha

Mitsu responded to my email asking me to call them so I did. Spoke to someone, they completely dismissed there being an issue with the blurry faces and white outline/glow on red fonts/backgrounds. Anyways, they had me reset the TV to default with menu 1,2,3. Did absolutely nothing. Heck, when I asked what the 13.06 firmware was intended to fix/correct, she didn't know and asked me why I was even upgrading. I went through the upgrade process with her on the phone to get the same results. Flashing LED for about 30 seconds, then light goes out and no confirmation of an upgrade.

They are sending me a usb thumbdrive w/ instructions.

#102 ·
just to clarify to anyone haveing issues updating the software. to update the firmware, your USB device must have 2 files on it.

1) mdea_update.txt

2) V45_13_06.utv

unplug the AC cord

insert the usb drive

plug in AC cord

wait about 3 minutes (green blinking LED)

TV powers on by itself and displays a message taht update is completed

remove usb

unplug ac cord

plug in ac cord

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.