AVS Forum banner
973K views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  b_scott 
#1 ·
She just got delivered for some testing the other day. Ah, the joy of having a thinner designed Panasonic . Nice and thin at about 2".

--More to come.......Including a review from Chad B around midnight tonight

Chad B wrote a reveiw >>> Click Here

See less See more
#8,056 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amughal /forum/post/21952644

Does this Tv upconvert 2d to 3d when you are streaming netflix via the Tv? I have glasses on order so I cant check now.

I haven't tried netflix but it works when streaming using DLNA and anything else I've tried. It does a good job at the conversion, better than I thought it could.

#8,057 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr /forum/post/21946797

but they give a 60-Day Window, post purchase, to make the decision....

Not true I got my Squaretrade warranty thru Costco for my 42" ST30 one day before the one year manufacturer's warranty expired.

#8,058 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwz414 /forum/post/21944771

This is real noob stuff guys, I'm sure you've heard these comments a thousand times before.

Can I run slides during the day and at night, but watch a movie or two (without bars) during the break in? Do the slides just go on a USB?

I will run D Nice's settings after the TV is broken in, or find a reputable calibrator in the Twin Cities.

Man, this gets asked over and over...D Nice set up his panel prep for a very specific reason. If you do not follow the steps, there is no reason to do the slides at all. Just save yourself the headache and stick to full screen content with no static logos for the first hundred hours. There are plenty of settings out there for people who elect not to follow instuctions.

#8,062 ·
K, got another question...blobs and shadow. Is this something normal. Since running the slides, I kinda started noticing a elongated blob on the middle right side of the screen that seems to be a smudge lighter than everything else with a vertical shadow around it. Its almost like when you mess around with an LCD screen and you press on it, you get this light are where you're putting pressure on and slightly darker around it. I only noticed it now since I've been running the slides.

#8,063 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr /forum/post/21955688

From CostCos web site: took them at their word!

Maybe it's 'cause I have the gold membership or something or maybe it's different if you don't purchase at Costco...but yeah it all went smoothly, and I have everything registered on Squaretrade, they accepted and processed my receipt clearly showing the 4/10/11 purchase date from Brandsmart USA...as a matter of fact the date of purchase never even came up. On top of that, I paid like sixty bucks for a warranty good til 2016...which is a 4 year warranty.

#8,064 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida /forum/post/21835824

Hi,

My 60" st30 is less than 6 months old. I was very cautious for the first 200 hours, and after that too. I ran slides and watched only full screen content during this time. After a while I figured it was ok to start enjoying the TV and decided it was no longer necessary to zoom out the channel logos.

Needless to say, a few days ago, I noticed the Golf Channel logo burned in my screen. Its only visible against a light, solid background (white, green, grey), and I can see it from 10 feet away. Its been a few days and its still there. I ran the white scroll bar to no avail and avoided the logo since but none of that made a difference.

I watch the golf channel every weekend for 3-4 hours at a time but mix it in with plenty of full screen HD movies.

I thought this was a thing of the past on plasmas. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

If anyone is interested, here is an update on my Golf channel logo IR.. Its been 1 month since I noticed the issue. I have not watched the offending channel on this TV since. In fact, I have only watched full screen content, no logos for several hours a day. The IR is still very noticeable (especially on light backgrounds). At the beginning, I did run break in slides and was very careful of the content I watched for the first 250 hours.. After that, I only watched the Golf Channel for a few hours at a time with other content mixed in.. I will post another update in 30 days. ugh.

#8,065 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida /forum/post/21957127

If anyone is interested, here is an update on my Golf channel logo IR.. Its been 1 month since I noticed the issue. I have not watched the offending channel on this TV since. In fact, I have only watched full screen content, no logos for several hours a day. The IR is still very noticeable (especially on light backgrounds). At the beginning, I did run break in slides and was very careful of the content I watched for the first 250 hours.. After that, I only watched the Golf Channel for a few hours at a time with other content mixed in.. I will post another update in 30 days. ugh.

You know I have noticed this too with the 60" model. I've had the 42" since last April and I've never had burn in/IR. But this model seems to be a lot more susceptible to it. Perhaps it has something to do with the size. Of course, I ran the slides for 100 hours and then I didn't see the panel again up close for almost 2 months and when I did check it the thing was on Vivid and set to Encore all day...I've tried scroll bar for hours and slides overnight and nothing works but the Encore logo is not visible on regular content and I got this panel for a heck of a deal so I'm not complaining...

Talking to Panasonic and the service tech in my area, I think there's a chance, if I approach them the right way, that I could get the "special authorization" a service tech would need to do a burn in repair/replacement. But I haven't called them back yet to work my jelly...not thrilled about losing my panel for who knows how long...

#8,066 ·
A couple issues with my 55ST30:

I noticed when the screen is powered down, there is a faint imperfection in the center of the screen. It almost looks like a light colored haze of smoke. It is not very noticeable once the TV is turned on, but you can see it depending on certain images on the screen. What is this?

Also, during panning scenes, the image tends to lag/jump depending on which channel im on. Why is this? The motion smoother does not seem to help.

Pre-august build and was broken in according to DNice settings but now running my own vivid-like settings.

#8,068 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 /forum/post/21957251

You know I have noticed this too with the 60" model. I've had the 42" since last April and I've never had burn in/IR. But this model seems to be a lot more susceptible to it. Perhaps it has something to do with the size. Of course, I ran the slides for 100 hours and then I didn't see the panel again up close for almost 2 months and when I did check it the thing was on Vivid and set to Encore all day...I've tried scroll bar for hours and slides overnight and nothing works but the Encore logo is not visible on regular content and I got this panel for a heck of a deal so I'm not complaining...

Talking to Panasonic and the service tech in my area, I think there's a chance, if I approach them the right way, that I could get the "special authorization" a service tech would need to do a burn in repair/replacement. But I haven't called them back yet to work my jelly...not thrilled about losing my panel for who knows how long...

Let us know how your conversation w/ Panny goes.. Good luck.

#8,071 ·
I came back to this thread to look for options on glasses as well. The Panasonic 2011 models are looking like they're very hard to come by (especially the large size) and still expensive to boot. Reviews on the off-brand models are mixed at best on Amazon. Would like to hear some reviews from the folks here and suggestions on where and what to buy.

#8,072 ·
I bought my set (46ST30) at Christmas time (december) from Amazon. It's an April build with a corresponding older serial number and PDP EEP value of 42.5c. I updated the firmware to 2.20 because I was seeing what I thought was fbr (dragging images from my laptop screen onto the TV screen caused substantial fluctuations in brightness) and that firmware fixed that problem. I was told on this forum that a firmware update doesn't fix fbr, but I wasn't seeing it afterward so I was counting myself as fortunate.

Well, last night my wife and I watched "Everything Must Go" on BluRay and there is a scene where Will Ferrell is talking to the neighbor across the street and every time the camera switched from Ferrell to her, I definitely saw fbr (very obvious and noticeable). Argh. Guess I'll call Panasonic on Monday.

#8,073 ·
Apologies for this "Bash" on Panasonic I am posting but the greater masses need to know that this company has no interest in customer service nor do they stand behind their product and take care of their customers. This is my opportunity to describe the single worst customer service experience I have had in my 46yr life. I purchased a Panasonic 42" Plasma 3D TV (TC-P43ST30) in last November 2011 from Best Buy. At the time Panasonic offered the TV at $400 off its normal $1099 price so my cost was $699.99. Best Buy was also giving away a free Panasonic BluRay player with the purchase of the TV as well. On the sales receipt they applied the $400 discount to the TV and split the cost of the Blue Ray player between the TV and Player as additional discounts ($70 off the player and $80 off the TV), this is apparently how they rang the sale in to get the player out the door free (player was $149.99 and 80+70 equaled the cost of the player). Great TV, nice picture, purchased for my 65yr old mother. Two (2) month later the TV broke and I was told to take the TV to a local service center by Panasonic. I'm ok with this but its surprising a two month old TV needs to be repaired. After 3 1/2 weeks I am called and told the Panel needed replacement but the part Panasonic sent them was defective. They were waiting for Panasonic to tell them what they were going to do. I was told they would likely send a new unit and not a check after I told them that this same unit now sells for its original $1099 price so it would not be right to expect your customer to pay an addition $400 to buy the same TV that broke. 2 weeks later I was told Panasonic sent me a check for $619 plus tax, WAIT, the TV cost me $699, it was Panasonic's promo so they should know this. They are telling me that because the receipt shows the $80 discount off the TV (to split the cost of the free player) that this is what I paid for it. After SEVERAL calls to Panasonic Customer Service and finally a manager because the rep I was dealing with did not understand the sale, I was told that this is all they will do, and that they will not provide a replacement TV. They are taking advantage of the fact that I got a free BluRay player and reducing the refund based on this. Lets for one moment assume the TV was still available at Best Buy for the $699 price, and that the free BluRay player promo was no longer available. It would cost me $699 to go in and buy that TV today, I would still have the BluRay player as I did with the original purchase, and I would be in the same original position as I was originally (TV and BlueRay player for $699). But today, if I was willing to pay the addition $400 to get the same TV that is no longer on sale, I would not get the Free player. So panasonic is expecting me to Pay more for the same TV, and loose $80 of my money of the original purchase price because they gave me a free BlueRay player. Panasonic should be cutting me a check for the $699 (plus tax) price I paid, I don't care that they were giving away a free BlueRay player, I paid what I paid. But they won't do that, they don't seem to understand the concept of the promo and are penalizing me for their promotion, and the fact that the 2 month old TV I bought broke. Bottom line, they are taking advantage of me, Their is a completely lack of customer service, don't stand behind their product, and WILL NEVER get my business again. I will not evangelize or recommend their product either. Take my comments as you will, but this is not how you treat your customers. They would have been smarter to give me a better or equal TV as a replacement at their cost. Far less "costly" than bad publicity..

#8,074 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by as4ronin /forum/post/21960849

Apologies for this "Bash" on Panasonic I am posting but the greater masses need to know that this company has no interest in customer service nor do they stand behind their product and take care of their customers. .... Far less "costly" than bad publicity..

My experience with Panasonic support has been excellent.

BTW, if you want people to ready your post, consider adding newlines and the paragraphs. They are all the rage (a different kind of rage entirely).

- Rich

Reactions: Anodyne
#8,075 ·
I just picked up a display 46ST30 from Target. It has about 4800 hours on it. I've been reading trying to figure out what I should do setting it up, but there's no clear cut guidance for a display unit.

If I want to try D-nice's settings, should I still run the initial 100 hour setup even though my set has 4800 hours on it? People seem to go both ways with this issue.

Also, it's a February 2011 build, PDP EEP is 42.59, so it appears to be a set that would qualify for the FBr issue. Should I just go ahead and call Panasonic and have them fix this, or wait until I see whether or not I run across the issue?

If anyone has any other input releated to this being a display and how to set it up I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

#8,076 ·
i'm looking for some lighting to put behind my 55st30. it seems like whichever light we choose to have on, somebody at some seating position will have some kind of glare and i'm trying to eliminate that altogether.

was thinking about something like this

but wanted opinions from people that have done something similar and had success. Thanks!

#8,077 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO710HD /forum/post/21958619

Has anyone been able to a snag a good deal on 3D glasses for their ST30 yet?

I bought 3 new pairs of the PS3 glasses for $75 plus $10 shipping on Ebay. I also bought a used 2nd Gen Panny set on ebay for $35 plus $6 shipping on ebay. They look brand new and all work great. Keep an eye out on Ebay. There are great deals around.

#8,078 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkowski1 /forum/post/21960618

Well, last night my wife and I watched "Everything Must Go" on BluRay and there is a scene where Will Ferrell is talking to the neighbor across the street and every time the camera switched from Ferrell to her, I definitely saw fbr (very obvious and noticeable). Argh. Guess I'll call Panasonic on Monday.

I was on the phone with Panasonic this morning for 1 hour and 3 minutes including be transferred to concierge to have my service appointment set up. Thanks to tfoltz who has the information in his signature. It was tremendously helpful. The tech tried to blame it on CATS which I expected and also the firmware which of course was updated. The she tried to blame it on my calibration and told me to watch in vivid mode. I confirmed that it still does it on all picture modes from all sources. She the told me that this was a mystery and that's when I gave her the service bulletin number. It was still another 20 min or so of mostly being on hold, but eventually I was given a service appointment for Friday. I'll update again after I hopefully receive the patched EEPROM.

#8,079 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAD08BULLITT /forum/post/21966925

I bought 3 new pairs of the PS3 glasses for $75 plus $10 shipping on Ebay. I also bought a used 2nd Gen Panny set on ebay for $35 plus $6 shipping on ebay. They look brand new and all work great. Keep an eye out on Ebay. There are great deals around.

Amazon has new Xpand 103's for about $50. I use them and they work well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.