AVS Forum banner

what shows on OTA do you record regulary

18K views 269 replies 34 participants last post by  MarkB64 
#1 ·
what shows on OTA do you record regulary and are they Hi def. or standard def.?

for me CBS Monday night Hawaie 5 0 nice scenceary and awesome audio it's broadcast in high def.

STB

#52 ·
Like I said, at Amazon The Dick Van Dyke show is now under $100. If it had been that price when I startd the project, I *MIGHT* have gone for it, but for $175, I decided to do it myself. Also, my sister wants a copy, and making a copy of DVDs I made myself from off the air TV is, as far as I know, legal, but to make copied of my purchased DVDs, is, illegal.

I also got just too tired of attempting to get all the episodes of Rocky & Bullwinkle (yeah, really). They are shown in such a haphazard fashon in syndication. I just bought them. Sigh... Parts of them are still REALLY funny, not just because of the nostalgia factor.

I also (hesitate to say it) have nearly all the episodes of Doctor Who going all the way back to the Pertwee era. I must have lost a tape or two because I am missing a few of the Pertwee stories, but aside from that, I have everything. It takes up a whole shelf all by itself. Imagine the space the video tapes took up?

#54 ·
Well i pulled the trigger and bought a "Used-like new condition"copy of the complete series of The Andy Griffith Show' for $93.55 w/free 2 day shipping,'course i had to accept a free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime which of course i'll cancel before the 30 days are up.

I HAD to order "Andy" cuz i just can't stand the idea of going thru the rest of my life w/o Don Knotts!!

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be /forum/post/21977227

I'm currently recording Cold Case from ION OTA, as there's no chance in hell it will ever get released to DVD uncut/unchanged...

Your earlier comment about recording Cold Case got me curious. I've now become a fan and watch CC whenever I can.

Cold Case is better than watching the same reruns of old NCIS, Law and Order and CSI episodes. I like the original NICS, Law and Order, Criminal Intent and CSI LV and NYC series; but I dislike NCIS LA, L&O SVU and CSI Miami. I like the Mentalist but dislike Criminal Minds. I also like Blue Bloods and Alcatraz. I like New Girl only because of "adorkable" Zoey but I don't care for her sister's Bones program.

I record Grimm, Alcatraz and New Girl. I also record Alfred Hitchcock, Burns and Allen and Jack Benny from AntennaTV and Naked City from RTV.

As to shows filmed locally, I really like Grimm but I don't care for Leverage or Portlandia.

#56 ·
Got Season 2 of Star Trek last week.

Walmart had it for 49.99.

The packing is Junk.Transfer to inland 4 pack.It took 2.

The 1st year is the same type of packing.CSI Sea 1&2 are like that also.

Seems like everbody had the TOS of Star Trek for 39.99 2 years ago.Got the 1st year at that time.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/21977482

Your earlier comment about recording Cold Case got me curious. I've now become a fan and watch CC whenever I can.

Cold Case is better than watching the same reruns of old NCIS, Law and Order and CSI episodes. I like the original NICS, Law and Order, Criminal Intent and CSI LV and NYC series; but I dislike NCIS LA, L&O SVU and CSI Miami. I like the Mentalist but dislike Criminal Minds. I also like Blue Bloods and Alcatraz. I like New Girl only because of "adorkable" Zoey but I don't care for her sister's Bones program.

I record Grimm, Alcatraz and New Girl. I also record Alfred Hitchcock, Burns and Allen and Jack Benny from AntennaTV and Naked City from RTV.

As to shows filmed locally, I really like Grimm but I don't care for Leverage or Portlandia.

I agree with all your choices but gave up early on on Alcatraz. New girl took a while longer to give up on, as you said Zoey is just so "adorkable" but the rest of the cast leaves me board. I have all the Alfred Hitchcock episodes on the complete seasons of but sadly have no access to AntennaTV nor RTV. AFA Grimm, it's also on my recording list but every time I watch it I think to myself, man they must have a lot of crazy crime in Portland to not think all the activity is normal

Unforgettable is also a nice addition this year which I hope stays around not to mention Castle which I've been watching since the beginning. I'm on the fence with Smash(like the singing/dancing) but dislike much of the backstage stuff.

If you haven't seen Nikita(the only show I really watch on the WB) I'd really suggest it. It's got lots of fast action and beautiful eye candy, Maggie Q is worth the price of admission not to mention Lyndsy Fonseca, time for a cold shower

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/21977482

I should've been done by now, but during my editing of early episodes I noticed some OTA signal blips that made a handful of my recordings useless, so now I'm playing the waiting game of getting re-airs to replace the bad ones. I need to make sure I get them all burned in order.

#59 ·
Mom

Had nothing in 2008.Joined Columbia housetv.2 for 1.

CSI sea 1--Murder she wrote sea 1.Probably 41 eps.Total.

Just got Remington Steele sea 1&2 Sea 4 Murder S-W.

Grand total now 5-2-2012 757 episodes.

Made a watch List for her.Using baby legal pad 8x5

Check em off as you go!

#60 ·
 Check out this link from TV.com to see which shows are or are not coming back next year. It is supposedly being updated to be current.

There is far more of interest on network TV than I have time to watch during the regular season. I set the media-PC or the TiVo to record the new shows like Alcatraz, The River, Terra Nova, Fringe, etc. TiVo Desktop is always running on my media-PC and auto-transfers the TiVo recordings to network storage as soon as they have been captured. Between the TiVo and the media-PC I have 4 tuners, so I don't miss anything I really want. I'll collect the whole season, use Video ReDo in batch mode to cut out the commercials and stream them from network storage to a media player during the summer months.

One advantage of doing it this way is that many new shows get booted after the season -- some during the season. If a new show I have collected gets canceled, I don't bother watching it and just flush it from the NAS. Why bother getting invested in a show with no future. There is so much other stuff to watch that has a couple seasons behind it. I didn't start watching the episodes of Fringe I collected until the end of the third season. I still have the last 3 seasons of "24" to watch.

I swore I would cap the network storage at 8TB and transfer the overflow to BD-R but if it wasn't for the current flood-induced high HDD prices, I would have at least another 4TB by now -- HD/5.1 does take up a bit more storage space than SD/2.0, but it's worth it.

#61 ·
The Twilight Zone

In 1 hour mode. {ME-TV}

My Top 18 Episodes are complete on 7 DVD's

Escape Clause

The Lonely

Time Enough at Last

Third From the Sun

I shot an Arrow into the Air...

The After Hours

The Howling man

Eye of the Beholder

A most unusual camera

Odyssey of flight 33

Two

The Shelter

It's a good life

The Midnight sun

To Serve man

Steel

Nightmare at 20,000 feet

Living Doll

That's my Best Of .......

#67 ·
yes, its great but somehow on my crappy cable system they show it as a 16:9 stretched image.

#69 ·
TV Worth Recording Alert: From 5 am Fri, Aug 3, thru 5 AM Sat, Aug 4(Central Time): TCM will air 24 hours of Johnny Weismuller movies. You know, the REAL Tarzan!
All 12 of the JW Tarzan movies, plus some Jungle Jim movies, plus a special on Tarzan & the movies. 50(& more!) yrs ago, *early* on Saturday mornings, I used to sit on the living room floor & watch the test pattern while waiting for the Tarzan movie to start. Remeber, 24 hours, including All the Real Tarzan movies. OK, now I gotta go out back & practice my Tarzan yell & find a grapevine...

#72 ·
These days, I record more off of Antenna TV and ME TV than any other channel, most of the time. Maybe right now, with USA showing so many of the summer shows I like, it might, temporarily, be number one, but t hat will be short-lived.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski  /t/1404923/what-shows-on-ota-do-you-record-regulary/0_100#post_22283746

I haven't recorded anything off of USA literally in decades. Probably since the 80's, when they uses to show those fun, low-budget, beach-skin, two band-aids and a cork flicks.

Well, let's see...

Burn Notice

Covert Affairs

Psych

Royal Pains

White Collar

For a start.

Syfy has two shows. I'm not sure about the other networks yet. It depends on the fall schedules.

#76 ·
TCM

Was mentioned above.Put in TCM over at Walmart.

All kinds of Good stuff will pop up.

Just got TCM:Greatest Classic Films:Sci-Fi

4 pac

Soylent Green

The Time Machine

Forbidden Planet

Next

TCM:Greatest Classic Films:Legends-Burt Lancaster

Executive Action

7 days in may

Local hero

The flame and the arrow

The 1st 1 i got was packed on 1 spindle.

I just transfered to my own 4 pack and label.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.