AVS Forum banner
973K views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  b_scott 
#1 ·
She just got delivered for some testing the other day. Ah, the joy of having a thinner designed Panasonic . Nice and thin at about 2".

--More to come.......Including a review from Chad B around midnight tonight

Chad B wrote a reveiw >>> Click Here

See less See more
#8,081 ·
A couple issues with my 55ST30:

I noticed when the screen is powered down, there is a faint imperfection in the center of the screen. It almost looks like a light colored haze of smoke about 3" tall and 4" wide. It is not very noticeable once the TV is turned on, but you can see it depending on certain images on the screen. What is this?

Also, during panning scenes, the image tends to lag/jump depending on which channel im on. Why is this? The motion smoother does not seem to help.

I am a Amazon Prime Subscriber which allows you to watch videos instantly. It seems like the Amazon Video on Demand App in the Viera Link is not the same. Is there anyway to get the Amazon Prime videos on my TV without having to hook up a laptop?

Pre-august build and was broken in according to DNice settings but now running my own vivid-like settings.

#8,082 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar /forum/post/21979156

A couple issues with my 55ST30:

I noticed when the screen is powered down, there is a faint imperfection in the center of the screen. It almost looks like a light colored haze of smoke about 3" tall and 4" wide. It is not very noticeable once the TV is turned on, but you can see it depending on certain images on the screen. What is this?

Also, during panning scenes, the image tends to lag/jump depending on which channel im on. Why is this? The motion smoother does not seem to help.

I am a Amazon Prime Subscriber which allows you to watch videos instantly. It seems like the Amazon Video on Demand App in the Viera Link is not the same. Is there anyway to get the Amazon Prime videos on my TV without having to hook up a laptop?

Pre-august build and was broken in according to DNice settings but now running my own vivid-like settings.

I have that same model havent noticed any motion issues, on the Amazon app the first choice in the menu after search is "Prime Videos" which contains all the availible videos. Did you do a firmware update to version 2.2 ? That replaces the old Viera app with Viera Connect.

#8,083 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar /forum/post/21979156

You may be referring to judder. I believe the TV doesn't display 1080i all that well, despite what some reviews have said. Also, I think a lot of it depends on the source. I have Comcast xfinity HD cable that broadcasts in 1080i. On my 60" ST30, the judder is very noticeable on some content. However, once I used my Onkyo 609 receiver to upconvert to 1080p, the judder has lessened.

This effect appeared a lot less severe on my 42" ST30 but that could well be simply the difference in size playing a part. If you have a Blu Ray player connected via HDMI, play a pristine signal on a good test movie and see if you still notice this. If not, then signal and format (cable, 1080i) may be the culprit.

#8,085 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 /forum/post/21979554

You may be referring to judder. I believe the TV doesn't display 1080i all that well, despite what some reviews have said. Also, I think a lot of it depends on the source. I have Comcast xfinity HD cable that broadcasts in 1080i. On my 60" ST30, the judder is very noticeable on some content. However, once I used my Onkyo 609 receiver to upconvert to 1080p, the judder has lessened.

This effect appeared a lot less severe on my 42" ST30 but that could well be simply the difference in size playing a part. If you have a Blu Ray player connected via HDMI, play a pristine signal on a good test movie and see if you still notice this. If not, then signal and format (cable, 1080i) may be the culprit.

Another hint on this set is to make sure the 3:2 pulldown setting is set to "ON" the auto setting does not function properly causes the 1080i deinterlacing to fail.

#8,086 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttybardude /forum/post/21961758

i'm looking for some lighting to put behind my 55st30. it seems like whichever light we choose to have on, somebody at some seating position will have some kind of glare and i'm trying to eliminate that altogether.

was thinking about something like this

but wanted opinions from people that have done something similar and had success. Thanks!

Backlighting is the way to go for sure. Plus I think it looks cool. Where did you find those lights? I am going to do the same when I move to my new house.

#8,087 ·
You can tackle the back lighting with simple LED strips in whatever color you want. Really simple.

I used to build signs for a living and wired up LED's all day. Since I was on the commercial side of things I don't have any retail sources off the top of my head but I'm sure a quick search of "LED light strips" will pull up some good links.

#8,088 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon /forum/post/21980056

Another hint on this set is to make sure the 3:2 pulldown setting is set to "ON" the auto setting does not function properly causes the 1080i deinterlacing to fail.

Ha! I completely forgot about this fix, thanks chunon. I do have the 3:2 set to "on" on the 42" ST30, perhaps that is why I notice it a lot less on that panel.

Ok I'm going to change it to "on" for the 60-incher as well then and stop upconverting to 1080p to see if there's a difference.

#8,089 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar /forum/post/21957600

Another question:

I use a PS3 for this (Amazon released their instant video/amazon prime app for PS3 about a month ago).

I'm not sure of any other way right now, but I'd imagine it'll be more widely available in the near future.

#8,090 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb2319 /forum/post/21983812

I use a PS3 for this (Amazon released their instant video/amazon prime app for PS3 about a month ago).

I'm not sure of any other way right now, but I'd imagine it'll be more widely available in the near future.

You can access Prime Videos on Amazon thru viera connect.

#8,091 ·
Hey guys!

I got my P42S30 today, but have a little problem, maybe you could help.

The thing is i can't get subtitles to work with .mkv files (playing from USB) using the media player.

Tried .srt and .sub. The name of the sub file is the same as the .mkv, but the media player just doesn't see it.

Is there any solution to this problem other than hardcoding the sub into the .mkv?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: nevermind, solved it with MKV Merge, thanks anyway!

#8,092 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkowski1 /forum/post/21966997

I was on the phone with Panasonic this morning for 1 hour and 3 minutes including be transferred to concierge to have my service appointment set up. Thanks to tfoltz who has the information in his signature. It was tremendously helpful. The tech tried to blame it on CATS which I expected and also the firmware which of course was updated. The she tried to blame it on my calibration and told me to watch in vivid mode. I confirmed that it still does it on all picture modes from all sources. She the told me that this was a mystery and that's when I gave her the service bulletin number. It was still another 20 min or so of mostly being on hold, but eventually I was given a service appointment for Friday. I'll update again after I hopefully receive the patched EEPROM.

I got a new A-board installed today in my 46ST30. 2 of the DRV values were off from before in the service menu, but it looks great either way. I went ahead and restored them to the values I had before.

My PDP EEP value was 42.5c, and now is 42.5d just as others have reported. I can't see the fbr in the one blu-ray where I thought it was really noticeable. I haven't checked others.

So glad for this forum or that would have probably driven me crazy trying to get it resolved.

#8,094 ·
Has anyone had experience with "weak" pixels with their ST30? I bought my P50ST30 about 5 months ago and suddenly have a row of pixels (well, maybe 80% of the pixels of that row) that get temporarily stuck in a color (usually magenta-ish).

Switching between red, green, blue, and yellow backgrounds several times usually fixes the entire row up. However, if I switch to an entirely black screen and then go to a white one, all of those pixels get stuck again.

I tried UDPixel but it didn't work. Any advice/experiences with a problem like this?

Thanks.

#8,095 ·
I am having my tv maintenance today due to the buzzing noise. I wrote down all the service menu settings in case they changed for some reason. I knew to avoid the volume buttons however it seems that 5 and 7 also changed some setting. Any chance there is a all tv default for the WBadjust method and color temp?

Mine are currently 0 and warm.

Edit: I am not exactly sure how these settings apply or when but it seem that warm and cool color temp settings are used to adjust the cuts and gain for those specific modes, they are not an actual setting.

Perhaps cool applies to cool1 and cool2 and warm settings within the service menu apply to warm 1 and warm 2 in the user menus?

Either case I don't think I screwed anything up

As for WBadjust... I cant seem to notice any difference no matter what I set it to.. Still don't understand that one.

#8,096 ·
If you didn't adjust the Standard def matrix the settings are still there and can be copied to the HD side.

You can adjust cool, normal and warm. They correspond to cool2 normal and warm2. Warm 1 and cool 1 are averages.

After an adjustment you have to leave the service mode to see any results.

#8,097 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO710HD /forum/post/21958619

Has anyone been able to a snag a good deal on 3D glasses for their ST30 yet?

If you don't mind aftermarket, I got the PS3 ones and I am pretty impressed, no ghosting or anything and the color seems to stay nice and bright. They can be found on amazon for i think around 50 but i snag them on ebay for about 35 or so.

#8,098 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit /forum/post/21998750

If you didn't adjust the Standard def matrix the settings are still there and can be copied to the HD side.

You can adjust cool, normal and warm. They correspond to cool2 normal and warm2. Warm 1 and cool 1 are averages.

After an adjustment you have to leave the service mode to see any results.

Alright sounds like I am good then, basically all I did was just change the cool/warm/normal field. I didn't know if that was a setting or just showing different menus. Thanks for the response and also with the SD mode idea. I can end all paranoia

#8,099 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyav /forum/post/21999486

Alright sounds like I am good then, basically all I did was just change the cool/warm/normal field. I didn't know if that was a setting or just showing different menus. Thanks for the response and also with the SD mode idea. I can end all paranoia

Unless you touched volume up or volume down when you were in the service menu you didnt really change anything, all you did was cycle thru the various color temps as if you were going to adjust one of them.

#8,100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkowski1 /forum/post/21960618

I bought my set (46ST30) at Christmas time (december) from Amazon. It's an April build with a corresponding older serial number and PDP EEP value of 42.5c. I updated the firmware to 2.20 because I was seeing what I thought was fbr (dragging images from my laptop screen onto the TV screen caused substantial fluctuations in brightness) and that firmware fixed that problem. I was told on this forum that a firmware update doesn't fix fbr, but I wasn't seeing it afterward so I was counting myself as fortunate.

Well, last night my wife and I watched "Everything Must Go" on BluRay and there is a scene where Will Ferrell is talking to the neighbor across the street and every time the camera switched from Ferrell to her, I definitely saw fbr (very obvious and noticeable). Argh. Guess I'll call Panasonic on Monday.

Interestingly, on my post-A board swap 42" ST30, I can still see FBr on the Pandora screen saver, albeit not as severe as before. However, on my 60" ST30 (which according to SM, is also is post A board swap) the background did not flicker once to a brighter or darker shade on the same screensaver.

#8,102 ·
Sad to see this thread dying out. I can see why people "upgrade" even when the panel they have is still working. It's freakin' addictive, the excitement of it all, researching and reading all the reviews/threads...then next year's models come out and we're all kind of just left with nothing more than the memory of the emotional high of achieving technological brilliance while watching in envy all the present buyers experiencing that which we crave..ah well.

I'm really impressed with my 42" and 60" ST30 panels. I never think the 60" is too dim. I did sometimes with the 42", when it was in the living room, but in the bedroom it also, I find, never lacks for brightness.

#8,103 ·
I agree mfrey, it will be more than a few years, hopefully, before I will be in the market again. My 42 ST30 is doing just fine in the bedroom and the VT25 in the family room is just superb. Once I tinkered with the ST's settings with the help of the folks over on the ST30 DYI Settings thread, I was able to get it to rival the VT25. I have happy campers in both rooms of viewing.

Yes, the ST was a bit dark. It was quite evident when leaving the VT25 to continue viewing a program on the ST in the bedroom. Not fun at all. The DYI settings changed that for me and hopefully for others. I do think that a Pro Calibration is a must for the larger screen ST30s. No if's, and's or but's about it. Give up a few beers or new toys and get it done. It will be some of the best money you ever spent. You will be amazed day after day and each night with the PQ these new plasmas can pump out. I will be lurking here as long as the thread pops up on the front and will help if I can.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.