AVS Forum banner

Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD and BDP-53FD Owners' Thread

129K views 630 replies 135 participants last post by  Hellenback 
#1 ·
 Attachment 224421

After two disappointing years of re-badged Sharp Products (BDP-31/33 and BDP-41/43), Pioneer has released a Mediatek (8555) chipped design that offers excellent deinterlacing and cadence recognition in synthetic and realworld tests. The 53FD offers additional video processing via Marvell's Qdeo chipset also used in most mid to upper level Pioneer and Pioneer Elite receivers.

See less See more
#477 ·
I am in the dark about the LX55 having Marvel Qdeo or not ?
No mention of Qdeo on the Pioneer EU site, on the box of the player, or even in the manual........

So can someone get me into the light please, is the player with or without Qdeo

See German spec list JPG

#478 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn /forum/post/0

Rich, the frequent updates aren't because of the manufacturers, it's because of BD-Java issues mostly. As new "features" are rolled out, they are incompatible with older firmwares. Furthermore, when the BD+ copy protection key is changed because of piracy, your player will require a new firmware.

This is exactly what I was referring to. From my experience Pioneer support is behind the pack in supplying these updates. Oppo is the best when it comes to firmware support.

#479 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn /forum/post/21966537

Rich, the frequent updates aren't because of the manufacturers, it's because of BD-Java issues mostly. As new "features" are rolled out, they are incompatible with older firmwares. Furthermore, when the BD+ copy protection key is changed because of piracy, your player will require a new firmware.

OK - I haven't experienced that with my Sony players. They have always played anything and everything I have thrown at them including brand new releases. I have applied occasional firmware updates, but never because a problem needed to be addressed. The firmware update releases are few and far between (which is a-ok with me). With the introduction of cinavia infected firmware in some players, I will be especially careful with anything I apply to my players from now on as I want my players doing a top notch job providing lossless audio - not scanning for imbedded distortions for drm purposes.

#480 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 /forum/post/21967672

OK - I haven't experienced that with my Sony players. They have always played anything and everything I have thrown at them including brand new releases. I have applied occasional firmware updates, but never because a problem needed to be addressed. The firmware update releases are few and far between (which is a-ok with me). With the introduction of cinavia infected firmware in some players, I will be especially careful with anything I apply to my players from now on as I want my players doing a top notch job providing lossless audio - not scanning for imbedded distortions for drm purposes.

Interesting coment...

You do realize that Sony was perhaps the first to adopt Cinavia with firmware update v3.10 for the PS3 in November 2009? Sony has been one of the (if not the) most aggressive companies to embrace Cinavia on Blu-ray machines.

Cinavia became mandatory for all consumer Blu-ray players licenced after February 1, 2012.

EDIT: Sony Player's that have been known to support Cinavia:
  • Playstation 3 (fw: 3.10 or higher)
  • BDP-S185/BDP-S186 (fw: M09.R.0033 or higher
  • BDP-S390 (fw: M11.R.0147 or higher)
  • BDP-S280/BDP-S480/BDP-S485/BDP-S580/BDP-S780 (fw: M07.R.0615 or higher)
  • BDP-BX39/BDP-BX59/BDP-S590 (fw: M11.R.0320 or higher)
  • BDP-SX1000 (fw: F01.R.0102 or higher)

I do not know if this is a complete list.

I would assume the newest Sony players support Cinavia as well; 2012 production.

#481 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 /forum/post/21967672

Rich, many of the firmware updates that roll out are to fix playback issues of discs before they are released to the general public. I sometimes get discs up to 30 days before the street date and they won't play in a particular player until I inform the manufacturer of the issue and they'll email me an upcoming firmware update before the general public gets it.

With Sony being a movie studio as well, I'm sure their BD manufacturing/support is very tied into any changes in BD+ copy protection.

#482 ·
b curry: thanks for your info. yes, I have read up on cinavia quite a bit and become aware of how Sony has inflicted it on their customers (esp. their PS3 customers as it was truly a nasty surprise for them). It is why I now refuse to update firmware unless I become convinced it is necessary and in my best interests. I have no intentions of ever purchasing a post 2/2012 player unless and until absolutely necessary.

david vaughn: thanks for your insights. I often wondered if my players required few firmware updates because Sony has been the driving force since day 1 with blu-ray, and their studio division put them in a position to stay ahead of the curve with bd+, although I understand Fox is the studio so enthralled with making players crunch through a bunch of bd+ nonsense before permitting playback. I've always maintained that BD titles that do not play back properly on my players will be returned as defective. I am happy to report that I have never had to do that so far. My current firmware is from Feb. 2011 - and it is the most current - and everything has worked just fine (S1000ES, S550 & S350).

#483 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn /forum/post/21968348

Rich, many of the firmware updates that roll out are to fix playback issues of discs before they are released to the general public. I sometimes get discs up to 30 days before the street date and they won't play in a particular player until I inform the manufacturer of the issue and they'll email me an upcoming firmware update before the general public gets it.

Well, apparently no one told Pioneer about the newly released movie "Haywire". Won't do anything in my 52 except display "00:00:00". I have to unplug to get the disc out. It plays fine in my friends Oppo.

And the new Joe Satriani 3D froze at 3:52 and stutters from time to time. My player used to freeze often at around the 2 to 3 minute mark but seemed to grow out of it.

No firmware update for the 52. Maybe I should just get an Oppo....

#485 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwtech /forum/post/0

Well, apparently no one told Pioneer about the newly released movie "Haywire". Won't do anything in my 52 except display "00:00:00". I have to unplug to get the disc out. It plays fine in my friends Oppo.

And the new Joe Satriani 3D froze at 3:52 and stutters from time to time. My player used to freeze often at around the 2 to 3 minute mark but seemed to grow out of it.

No firmware update for the 52. Maybe I should just get an Oppo....

Get an Oppo and you won't look back. I would buy another Pioneer BD in a minute if they raised the level of their products and support to the level of Oppo. This is coming from a Pioneer fan who owns a PRO-141FD, SC-37, PDP-5020FD "E-Lite" & used to own a PDP-6020FD "E-Lite" & BDP-23FD. IMO the Oppo is the equivalent of an Apple product as far as quality, fit & finish, support, customer service, product packaging & presentation. I was really hoping to replace my Oppo BDP-93 with a BDP-53FD, but at this point I'm glad I didn't. Pioneer I hope your listening.

#486 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano18 /forum/post/21985612

IMO the Oppo is the equivalent of an Apple product as far as quality, fit & finish, support, customer service, product packaging & presentation. I was really hoping to replace my Oppo BDP-93 with a BDP-53FD, but at this point I'm glad I didn't. Pioneer I hope your listening.

IMHO, Oppo is better than Apple. If you have a disc that won't play, they want to know and they will fix it. Apple customer support is only OK, but is is pretty good when you buy their extended warranty (Apple Care). And the Oppo comes in a completely recyclable package - complete with the player wrapped in a reusable shopping bag.

#487 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwtech /forum/post/0

IMHO, Oppo is better than Apple. If you have a disc that won't play, they want to know and they will fix it. Apple customer support is only OK, but is is pretty good when you buy their extended warranty (Apple Care). And the Oppo comes in a completely recyclable package - complete with the player wrapped in a reusable shopping bag.

I'll agree with the points you made in comparison to the two companies. I didn't mean to say they are exactly alike just similar in many ways. I would agree that Oppo is better than Apple in many ways. Keep in mind that Apple is one of the most successful companies in the world & make many more products. The reason that they are so successful is because of the quality of the products, they are user friendly & back it up with good support. That is where I think they are very similar.

#488 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Joe Cola /forum/post/21916392

Yeah it actually states input voltage as 120-240v in the specs in the manual. Going to upgrade to 400v rated capacitors though, as that's apparantly what an appliance built for the Australian/Euro market would have to guard against power surges/spikes.

I was thinking of using a transformer anyway but the rating of the caps seems to be my problem as they were running at near capacity at all times before, so even if there wasn't a surge one of them might have just died early.

Well I did what some kindly suggested on here, got a cheap soldering iron off ebay and some new (400v rated) capacitors). Watched a Youtube tutorial and installed the new capacitors today. Got my unit back up and running. Although there was a slight burning smell at first I had it going for 5 hours this afternoon and there seemed to be no problems (touch wood). Not bad for someone who has never soldered anything before. Sometimes I love the internet (when I don't hate it). Makes dumb guys like me into pros!

I missed my Pioneer while I was waiting for the caps and soldering iron in the mail, it does put out beautiful sound and video, plus looks damn sexy on my shelf (You Oppo guys have to admit, the new Pioneer chassis looks better than any Oppo!).

#489 ·
Just an FYI.

This are the settings I had to disable to get Haywire to play on my BDP52. I did try turning on and off different features by themselves, but it became inconclusive. AND if the player needed a master reset (i.e., pull the plug) to get the disc out you HAVE to go through and SET these settings again. Just because the menu said the setting was still what I wanted, it would not work.

Adding a USB stick for BUDA storage did not fix the problem either.

You have been warned.

Some settings require a password. Mine is 0000. Not sure if I set that or it is the default.

Start with no disc in the tray.

Remove the ethernet cable. Do not hook it back up.

Pull the AC plug and then plug it back in.

Turn on the player.

Press the Home Menu button.

Enter the Initial Setup menu.

Go to the Network tab and set:

Internet Connection to Disabled

BD Live to Prohibited

DLNA to Disabled

Go to the Playback tab and set:

Internet Setting to Prohibited

Disc Auto Playback to Off

Go to the Options tab and set:

Disc Auto Update to Off

Exit the menu.

Press Power Off button.

Pull the AC plug.

Plug it back in and make sure the menu settings are correct.

Put in Haywire and wait.

Press enter to acknowledge that it could not get to the internet and spy on you. (Don't even think about doing what it says!)

Wait some more... and a little loading graphic (whatever it is) will pop up.

It will play, eventually.

Good luck. And wait for the next disc that won't play.

/rant on

PS: Hollywood, you suck at making BluRays. Simple is better. I don't know why you have to screw up the simple things like insert disc, press play, watch movie. I'm sure all this crap the player has to load is just to make me watch your movie commercials at the beginning of the disc instead of just going to the movie.

/rant off (sorry)

#491 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathmell70 /forum/post/21991337

I have the Pioneer Elite BDP 52FD Blue Ray and it seems to be creating issues with my Pioneer Elite VSX 32 AV receiver. When my Blue Ray is on, my VSX 32 does random power offs and starts back up. Any ideas why?

I have the LX55 and i have no problems but have not connected the Internet cable.

Think from other forums the problem is when the receiver and the BD player are both connected to the internet at the same time.

When you disconnect the BD player you will not have any problems.

A bug but no solution yet........

#492 ·
Rathmell70,

This is because of a bug in the receiver apparently. I have the same problem. It caused when both units are attached to your ethernet network. I solved my problem by unplugging my SC-35 from the network. This was an acceptable solution for me because I wasn't using any of the network features. For some people this won't be acceptable and Pioneer has a fix for the receivers that this effects. It requires you to take your receiver to a factory authorized repair facility to have the firmware in the receiver upgraded.

There is a lengthy discussion earlier in this thread with a list of the receivers that are effected.

Link to the post with the list of receivers...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21545147

-Curtiss

#493 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwtech /forum/post/21990659

Just an FYI.

This are the settings I had to disable to get Haywire to play on my BDP52. I did try turning on and off different features by themselves, but it became inconclusive. AND if the player needed a master reset (i.e., pull the plug) to get the disc out you HAVE to go through and SET these settings again. Just because the menu said the setting was still what I wanted, it would not work.

Adding a USB stick for BUDA storage did not fix the problem either.

You have been warned.

Some settings require a password. Mine is 0000. Not sure if I set that or it is the default.

Start with no disc in the tray.

Remove the ethernet cable. Do not hook it back up.

Pull the AC plug and then plug it back in.

Turn on the player.

Press the Home Menu button.

Enter the Initial Setup menu.

Go to the Network tab and set:

Internet Connection to Disabled

BD Live to Prohibited

DLNA to Disabled

Go to the Playback tab and set:

Internet Setting to Prohibited

Disc Auto Playback to Off

Go to the Options tab and set:

Disc Auto Update to Off

Exit the menu.

Press Power Off button.

Pull the AC plug.

Plug it back in and make sure the menu settings are correct.

Put in Haywire and wait.

Press enter to acknowledge that it could not get to the internet and spy on you. (Don't even think about doing what it says!)

Wait some more... and a little loading graphic (whatever it is) will pop up.

It will play, eventually.

Good luck. And wait for the next disc that won't play.

/rant on

PS: Hollywood, you suck at making BluRays. Simple is better. I don't know why you have to screw up the simple things like insert disc, press play, watch movie. I'm sure all this crap the player has to load is just to make me watch your movie commercials at the beginning of the disc instead of just going to the movie.

/rant off (sorry)

Thank you for posting this as I have just experienced the same issue with Chronicle Blu Ray. Can I ask... Are you using 2 HDMI leads from your player by any chance? One to the TV and one to your amp. I have this set up and this has caused no end of problems for me. Following your method for Haywire did work for Chronicle. Randomly after this I decided to run just one HDMI cable through the amp only and after re-enabling all the settings the disc played perfectly.

All very very odd.

#494 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynluke /forum/post/22008623

Can I ask... Are you using 2 HDMI leads from your player by any chance? One to the TV and one to your amp. I have this set up and this has caused no end of problems for me. Following your method for Haywire did work for Chronicle. Randomly after this I decided to run just one HDMI cable through the amp only and after re-enabling all the settings the disc played perfectly.

All very very odd.

I am just using one HDMI thru my preamp. I have a BDP52 and it only has one HDMI out. And yes, this is all odd and a bit frustrating.

#495 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by luelf21 /forum/post/21425012

I received the 53fd and hooked it up today. It is replacing my 23fd and I can tell you that this unit is WAY FASTER than the 23fd is at loading blu rays!! That's a huge plus and one of the reasons I bought this unit.

I've had zero issues with the disc tray or with the unit freezing. With that said, i did a lot of swapping out of movies and a lot of stopping and playing and adjusting settings in the movie (about 2 hours worth of fiddling around). So as far as reliability and speed I'm very pleased.

The only issue I've had so far, and it may not end up being an issue, is that it doesn't seem that the Full RGB setting is the same as the 0-255 RGB setting of the 23fd unit. I found this by using the spears and munsil calibration disc. On my 23fd, in order to see the contrast correctly and not have clipping, I had to use 0-255 RGB setting. However, with Full RGB selected on this unit, it clips the contrast almost entirely. It's very frustrating. It may be a simple setting that I'm missing. I've managed to get it to where I'm ok with it, and the picture quality is great. (please note that this issue may be a compatibility issue with my projector, so others may not have this issue)

I'm very happy with the unit so far and I hope to find the correct setting to get the contrast in check with the calibration disc.

How does the PQ of the 53fd compare to the 23fd?

#496 ·
Three months or so using the BDP-53FD and so far it's been great. So far every single blu-ray movie worked and played well. Netflix and Pandora work flawlessly too.

I have a question about the remote commands for the 53FD:

The remote seems to have a dedicated Netflix button on it. Is it possible to create a dedicated Pandora command for my Harmony 900 remote?

I checked the discrete remote codes for the BDP-53FD and didn't see it on there. Is this even possible?

#497 ·

New EURO firmware 3.18 for the LX55

this an email send by Pioneer Europe to confirm the Changelog

"Dear Mr. xxxxx

Thank you for your email yesterday.

In fact we have just signed yesterday an update for the BDP-LX55 and get this tested. In our device can also be played SACD correctly.

Presumably, the software will appear in the next few days on the homepage.

Ver.3.18 released on May 17, 2012

Rectifies the following issues.

- Audio noise when playing CD Certain titles.

- C-ch-ch of SL and SACD multi-channel are switched during bitstream (DSD) output from HDMI.

- 3D video for left and right eyes are not synchronized when playing BD Certain titles.

- Will not play hybrid SACD with message "UNK DISC" displayed on the front panel display.

- Poor chroma seperation when playing DVD.

- Will not Play Certain BD-R/RE.

- Audio setting becomes default (main + sub) after fast-forwarding bilingual broadcast on BD-R/RE or DVD-R/RW.

- Firmware update fails if the OPEN / CLOSE button is pressed Repeatedly during the update.

Change of the following specifications

- Front panel display shows track / chapter number when playing CD / SACD.

We hope this will be resolved by this update to the BDP-LX55 with your problems.

Yours sincerely,

Technical Support "

#498 ·

New EURO firmware 3.18 for the LX55

this an email send by Pioneer Europe to confirm the Changelog
Quote:
"Dear Mr. xxxxx

Thank you for your email yesterday.

In fact we have just signed yesterday an update for the BDP-LX55 and get this tested. In our device can also be played SACD correctly.

Presumably, the software will appear in the next few days on the homepage.

Ver.3.18 released on May 17, 2012

Rectifies the following issues.

- Audio noise when playing CD Certain titles.

- C-ch-ch of SL and SACD multi-channel are switched during bitstream (DSD) output from HDMI.

- 3D video for left and right eyes are not synchronized when playing BD Certain titles.

- Will not play hybrid SACD with message "UNK DISC" displayed on the front panel display.

- Poor chroma seperation when playing DVD.

- Will not Play Certain BD-R/RE.

- Audio setting becomes default (main + sub) after fast-forwarding bilingual broadcast on BD-R/RE or DVD-R/RW.

- Firmware update fails if the OPEN / CLOSE button is pressed Repeatedly during the update.

Change of the following specifications

- Front panel display shows track / chapter number when playing CD / SACD.

We hope this will be resolved by this update to the BDP-LX55 with your problems.

Yours sincerely,

Technical Support "

Well that will solve A LOT of our problems! Hope it's released soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.