AVS Forum banner

Near-Field Monitor Recommendations: Desktop 2.0 /2.1 for PC

7K views 54 replies 13 participants last post by  ota.dt.man 
#1 ·
I have reviewed the Speaker and 2-Channel Audio threads for this application. For others who may also be interested in this topic, the following list will hopefully be a time-saver:
  1. best "mini" active speakers for the money.. - Audiophile34
  2. Nearfield setup advice ( 1 2) - shaghi
  3. desktop speaker recommendations (for music)? ( 1 2) - Nethawk
  4. Computer Speaker 2.1 Suggestions? - Shadowdane
  5. Advice on a 2.1 Desktop Set-up - blackflagrms13
  6. $350 BEST Computer Speakers. What would you buy??? (Swan, Audioengine, M-Audio) ? ( 1 2) - Bizmord
  7. KRK RokitG2 5 - anismo
  8. 2.0 Speakers for a PC , PS3 - Anderosa
  9. A high-end set of 2.1 speakers for music listening ( 1 2 3 4) - JimWilson
  10. Desktop Setup ( 1 2) - matt_calgary
  11. Recommend pair of active speakers - void.crusader
  12. Active Speakers for Computer Setup ( 1 2) - Borky

I also consulted:
  1. PC Mag
  2. C|NET
  3. PC World
  4. Amazon's Top Rated in 2.1 Speakers

However, once you eliminate the models that are no longer available, have reliability issues per Amazon customer reviews, or noticeable coloration, that narrows the list a bit. Thus, I was thinking a small pair of active monitors would probably provide more accurate sound quality and a much larger selection of models.
Background:

I've always enjoyed music. I played in band for 7 years, mixed audio for high school plays, took music appreciation in college for elective credit, and mixed church audio for 14 years. We have a pair of Maggies and before that a pair of Dahlquists.

Based on our enjoyment of Maggies, I was very interested in PC Mag's review of the Monsoon speakers. Unfortunately, they're no longer available.

I used to sell A/V consumer electronics for several years. I sold the following speaker brands: B&W, Boston Acoustic, Bang & Olufsen, Canton, Dahlquist, DCM, Klipsch, Magnapan, Polk, and Yamaha.

We currently have a 1-yr old 17" laptop w/Realtek HD Audio that we use for all the typical household computing tasks as well as live streaming of video - mostly news and comedy. We'd also like to use it for music. However, most laptops (ours included) have very sub-optimal built-in speakers. We are not into video gaming.

Goals:
  1. Near-field
  2. Desktop (limited space - prefer active speakers instead of a desktop amp)
  3. Natural sound - no coloration
  4. Prefer that the critical voice range not be split between drivers that use dissimilar sound generation techniques (e.g., horn-loaded tweeter & direct-radiating woofer)
  5. Minimum diffraction
  6. Time / phase-aligned
  7. Very good transient response
  8. Non-resonant enclosure (e.g., not plastic like many PC speakers)
  9. No reliability issues (Life is too short.)
  10. 2.0 or 2.1
  11. Excellent value - B-stock or used is ok.

Size:

- Height - The laptop screen is 10" tall when tilted to the appropriate viewing angle.

- Width - Any narrow width active monitor will easily outperform the internal speakers. Larger woofers will obviously provide a deeper bass response. However, desktop real estate is limited and a sub-woofer could be added later if desired.

Since I've been out of the A/V business for many years I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21986934

I've had the M20's -- the 2.1 setup just below the M50's -- for about 2 years now, and I think they're great.

Jim,

Since you included KRK ROKIT 5 ($300/pr) in your original list, how do you think they compare to the similar priced Swan 2.0 / 2.1 Multimedia desktop models ?

Thanks

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ota.dt.man /forum/post/21988100

Since you included KRK ROKIT 5 ($300/pr) in your original list, how do you think they compare to the similar priced Swan 2.0 / 2.1 Multimedia desktop models?

Unfortunately, I can't give you an assessment of how they compare because I've never heard the ROKIT's. The list I posted is from something I built a while back, when I was looking for a similar product. I don't have personal listening experience with them.

I actually wanted the Swans M50 myself, but 2 years ago they were not available in the US. The M20 was though, so I bought those instead. They lack a touch on the top end, and the bass doesn't extend quite as low as I'd like, but the detail and soundstage is amazing. I suspect the M50 solves both of those problems.

Swans in general makes some very detailed speakers. The few I've heard have impressed me. The M20 maintain their composure when played fairly loud too.

#29 ·
It might be worth the drive to your Guitar Center that is 30 miles away. I listened to all the powered monitors at my local GC, and preferred the Rockit 5s (check and see before the drive). Best Buy has Rockits, although they may not be hooked up so that you can compare them to other monitors the way that GC usually does.

I have not heard the Swans, so I can't comment on how they would sound in comparison.

#30 ·
Any comparisons on the following models?

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/21988301

It might be worth the drive to your Guitar Center that is 30 miles away.

Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/21988301

I listened to all the powered monitors at my local GC, and preferred the Rockit 5s.

Do you recall the other models you auditioned? Thanks

#39 ·
 "USB Monitors - Project studio speakers with USB connectivity"

2/19/12

Includes a round up of "6 of the best USB studio monitors currently available."

Has anyone tried one of these models? Does the USB audio interface provide a significant sound quality improvement compared to using the stereo 3.5mm analog audio output?

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ota.dt.man /forum/post/21994151

"USB Monitors - Project studio speakers with USB connectivity"

Has anyone tried one of these models? Does the USB audio interface provide a significant sound quality improvement compared to using the stereo 3.5mm analog audio output?

Of course. Any digital out would preserve the signal as much as possible despite the continuous belief by audiophiles to run analog rca out from the sources.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous /forum/post/21994537

If you have a quality sound card installed, using USB speakers would be a waste. Stick with analog connections.

Our 17" laptop came equipped with Realtek High Definition Audio and Intel Display Audio. Should we use USB or analog? Thanks

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ota.dt.man /forum/post/21995755

Our 17" laptop came equipped with Realtek High Definition Audio and Intel Display Audio. Should we use USB or analog? Thanks

I was referring to the output of the sound card via analog. Alot of people use toslink as well, neither sounds better than the other in my own testing.

USB speakers are terrible and become a USB sound card. Realtek chipsets arent bad, they just arent audiophile chips. You could use an external dac via USB if you want no processing by your sound card. Otherwise your laptop sound card will sound fine as analog out.

I have my older swan m10s hooked up to the dell laptop and play flac encoded music and ite sounds nice. Now here's the kicker for me...

My laptop is a dell vostro 3700 with a IDT sound chipset. I have a realtek setup in my other laptop which is a HP. IDTs aren't as punchier as realtek's sound. I also noticed using an unbalanced cable on the dell to my mixer, I pick up a lot of noise for a 3 foot cable. Updating the driver helped,but ultimately I had to go from a 3.5mm to xlr cable to kill the noise I was getting. I can use a 6 foot analog cable which is 3.5mm to dual rca's with no issues on the laptop with the realtek.

#45 ·
Q:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ota.dt.man /forum/post/21994151

Does the USB audio interface provide a significant sound quality improvement compared to using the stereo 3.5mm analog audio output?

A:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/21994169

Any digital out would preserve the signal as much as possible despite the continuous belief by audiophiles to run analog rca out from the sources.

A:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous /forum/post/21995850

USB speakers are terrible and become a USB sound card.

#47 ·
Veda,

To rephrase my question:

Is there a significant sound quality improvement between the following two types of monitors?

A pair of nearfield powered monitors that's designed to connect to a laptop* with:

1. - A USB port

OR

2. - The stereo 3.5mm analog audio output
(* which has Realtek HD Audio)

Thanks

#49 ·
Well hang on a second. If you connect your computer to the dac via USB, you can run into interference issues and latency. The best practice is shooting out the sound to the dac either by coax or toslink. Most Onboard sound nowadays can at least provide one of connections, if not both. In most cases you will need an $8 adapter to do it on a laptop.

USB speakers are actually sound cards. They sound decent for getting sound out but that's about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.